My Dear Botanist [ Ser Aymeri...

By SamTheSith

As a member of the Botanist Guild, you and your team make headway to the land of Coertha's in an endeavor to... More

I. Children of the Land
II. Safe Haven
III. The Hand that Gives the Rose
IV. Two Souls Intertwined I
V. Two Souls Intertwined II
VI. Homestead
A/N
VIII. Nobility Obliges II
IX. Contention
X. Hallowed Halls
XI. The Reach of Darkness
XII. The Silent Regard of Stars
XIII. Echoes of Truths That Once Rang Clear
XIV. Roar of the Wyrm
XV. Shelter
XVI. Sins of the Son
XVII. Sins of the Father
XVIII. In Darkness, There Is One I
XIX. In Darkness, There is One II
XX. Unbreakable
XXI. A Cold Wind
XXII. Lost in the Clouds
XXIII. Heroes
XXIV. Heroes Never Die
XXV. Coming Home
Epilogue

VII. Nobility Obliges I

150 7 9
By SamTheSith

With further reasoning from your part and the words conveyed from Ser Aymeric, Fufucha was pressured into letting you stay. She took much consideration of your position as a possible medium that could deepen the still peace among man and dragon. Though in return, she insisted into staying in Ishgard as well, to keep a watchful eye over you. As for the other Botanists, most had taken leave to New Gridania the day after Ser Aymeric's address of Ishgard's plight but some had chose to stay, determined and foolish, to stretch out your guilds retreat in Coerthas.

Renji didn't argue your sense in you wanting to help the people of Ishgard. He knew how considerate and selfless you were when it comes to others despite how they treat you and, well.. he hoped Ork Kha was the main influence. You were bestowed an odd predicament with the dragon at your side and Renji had no place to take charge of something he couldn't fully comprehend, nor was it within his reach. You felt so beyond his reach. For once you had taken lead to a life that Renji had predominately dragged you around in. This angered and confused him yet he would still choose to never leave your side.

Beside needing to always watch over you from afar, there was an.. ulterior now to him, more than ever, to keep an extra eye on you. Renji didn't like the way the Lord Commander looked at you. The thought of it made his blood boil, even more so at the way you were so eager to listen in with the slightest mention of the commander. He's been frustrated ever since the events at Falcon's Nest  his emotions, actions were completely muddled because of you. He ignored you, avoided you just to mask his burning, wistful affections but that achieved him nothing. Howbeit, now that you were back, a challenge riled within him and he wasn't about to surrender the place at your side.

__________

Your nerves began to rise as a formally dressed man, a retainer if you had to guess, left you with an oral invitation just outside your quarters at the inn. He came baring a request from Ser Aymeric to meet the Lord Commander himself at your earliest convenience at Our Knight's Most Heavenly. You hadn't expected him to call for you so soon. It's only been several days since your declaration at the tavern and Ser Aymeric had pledged his leisure company to you, anon, yet the news to meet him right away had your legs buckling. What plans did he have? Why in the Twelve's names' would he accompany you again..? Did you have to dress formally? Did you need to bring an appreciative gift?

Your thoughts tossed and turned but you didn't have the time to buy something, let alone ponder the idea of formal wear that you didn't have in the first place. You voiced an exasperated Ugh and put on your best common clothes. You didn't even want to fret on how awful you think you looked, so you eyed yourself in the mirror swiftly and swallowed your negativity as you headed towards the outside of the inn. You slipped past the midday bar goers and headed straight up the stairs unbeknownst of your follower.

You felt a hand lightly grab your shoulder just as you exited through the doors, pulling you from your anxious thoughts.

"And just where are you goin'?" Renji spoke.

His face had a concerned expression, and lately.. you couldn't quite pinpoint is excessive intervening. He gave you the cold shoulder before and now.. this?

"I.. Uhm.." You glanced to your destination just across the way. Conveniently so, Our Knights Most Heavenly is neighbored to the inn so you never would have to walk very far to see Ser Aymeric.

You didn't want to lie to Renji. What reasons would you need to keep the fact from him, or anyone for the matter, that you were associated with the Lord Commander? Mayhap you feared what others would think of their Lord if they saw him casually hanging around you. You weren't anything special, not to mention a foreigner. What would everyone think? Would they think anything at all? What would Renji think..? Your internal angst was way out of proportion but the worry over others clouded your mind.

"I was.. summoned to meet the Lord Commander today. I suppose I don't know why yet.." You bit your lip. Not giving the full truth isn't lying, right?

Renji scrunched up his nose and looked off, "You don't know yet you're goin' anyway? That sounds completely responsible from a man who calls himself a commander."

What? You were perturbed by his sarcasm. "He is a good man. You.. don't need to worry?"

"He's still a stranger, (F/N), man or not," Renji crossed his arms, his expression disdainful with the thought of it all.

"That's not how I see him!" You retorted, furrowing your brows.

Renji stared hard at you, his brows just as furrowed, "Then how do you see him?"

Your face grew flustered by his remarks. What is he even trying to get out of me anyway?

"I.. I don't have time for this, Renji. Please, I have to go," You gestured a dismissive hand and turned your back to him. You started making your way towards Firmalbert who stood guard, as always, outside the congregation until a hand grasped your shoulder again. You didn't turn around to see.

"(F/N).. Please, listen to me. I just" Renji's voice cracked.

"Oh. Tis' you," Firmalbert sneered, approaching the two of you. "The Lord Commander has given instruction prior your arrival. However, nothing of this lout," Firmalbert motioned his attention towards Renji  the knight's annoyance could entirely be gathered through the eyes in his helmeted head.

"What!?" Renji glared.

As swift and quick as the tension rising before you, a small body came crashing into you seemingly abating everyone's attention.

Found you! Ork Kha squawked. My morning take to the air is complete.. and.. well, those Dragoon sorts loitering about the tallest towers are giving me the shakes..

You smiled at your cheerful companion. "Ork Kha! I'm so glad you're back! I was just about to meet"

"Why do you have to meet him?" Renji spoke out of turn.

You were done with his antagonizing questions. You were already nervous enough to meet Ser Aymeric, and Renji wasn't helping in any shape or form. You chose not to fuel his fire so you never responded and eyed Firmalbert. You opened your mouth to ask the guard where to go but it seemed Firmalbert caught onto your thoughts.

"Through the doors, to the left. There will be a Temple Knightsman to meet and guide you and the.. dragon, to the Lord Commander's post," Firmalbert was firm and never tore his gaze from Renji's. You'd think not even the strongest of primals could get past this guard.

You bowed to Firmalbert and headed through the congregation doors. The last thing you heard from outside was Renji's frustrated, muffled shouts. Your heart twinged in the slight from Renji's outlandish attitude, but you really had other things to worry about. Your heart-to-heart with Renji can come at a later time.

Just as Firmalbert said, a Temple Knight had come to greet you, welcoming both you and Ork Kha into the congregation. He then led you both through large doors and down an empty hallway until you reached an imposing door. Before you could worry about who was on the other side, the Temple Knight pushed open the door, taking a few steps inside and gesticulated that unique Ishgardian salute to the few inside.

"Lord Commander.. Speaker. She has arrived."

You walked as diligent as a hare to peer behind the knight to see Ser Aymeric studiously signing a few documents on his desk. You immediately smiled at the sight of him and took note of the two other knights standing before him. An Elezen man with long brown hair, whose name you couldn't quite place, stood tall, and the familiar woman, Lucia, seemed to have her eyes closed in patience.

The Temple Knight shuffled out from in front of you, giving you the solo stage in the middle of the fairly vacant room  beside the small one shyly perched on your shoulder, of course. You gulped at your meek exhibition.

Ser Aymeric finished the motion of the quill in his hand and looked up to meet your eyes with an eager smile. "My dear, (F/N)! And Ork Kha. Tis' midday already?" He stood up and grabbed a stack of the papers from his desk, walking to and assorting them to the two knights, "Twould' seem fortune is upon us, for the weather is quite favored." You were oddly hesitant to believe if he was gesturing these words to you or not, so you chose to stay silent. Maybe that choice was rude yet Ser Aymeric never pushed further. The brown haired Elezen bowed to his commander and silently made his exit out of the room, only making a quick side eye at the dragon at your side. Equally, the Temple Knight that had guided you had followed suit out the room, closing the bulky door behind him.

There was a pause in the air until you spoke, "I.. wasn't interrupting anything, was I?"

Ser Aymeric huffed a soft laugh as he stood beside Lucia, "Not at all! Just finishing a few subsidiaries to eliminate any possible intrusions on our time." He placed a hand on the back of his apparent sore neck, "And a stroll with you, after sitting so lengthily, sounds absolutely marvelous." He turned his head and made sure to smile warmly in Ork Kha's direction as well.

Your heart started again, "A-Are we going somewhere?"

"Tis' not too far  I hope you do not mind. Although our destination is a.. slight surprise. For you, that is."

"Surprise?" Your eyes lit up. You looked from Ser Aymeric to Lucia, who seemed to have been giving you an expressionless stare after your entrance to the room. You blinked sporadically to tear yourself from her assertiveness.

"Where are my manners? My dear, this is Lucia, my second in command. Though she would prove to be more of a commander than I these days after my appointment as Speaker."

"You humble me, Lord Commander," She responded, resting her eyes and placing a hand over her chest. "However, I am quite confident my feelings are shared in the aspects that you will always be Ishgard's chief commander, whether you have stepped down or not."

Ser Aymeric looked to Lucia quite fondly yet remained speechless. Before you could even consider the atmosphere between the two, Lucia took a few steps forward and eyed you once again as if she had a lot to say.

Ser Aymeric forwarded a hand towards you, "And this is (F/N) of Gridania, Botanist and.. kindly ally of dragons. And quite a wonderful listener, moreover."

You felt somewhat prideful of his titles for you. Feeling a bit happy you could be referred to as such, small as they may be. Most importantly, it's what he thought of you.

"You seem to be good-natured, indeed. Returning gil and now camaraderie with dragons," Lucia added, her expression unreadable.

"Thank you.. It's really nice to meet you, Lady Lucia.." You felt the need to say more but couldn't place the right words. You unexpectedly felt on-the-spot.

"Aye. I have heard only good tidings of you quite.. often," Her voice was strangely coarse as she raised a single eyebrow.

Her comment made you quizzical of what was said about you behind closed doors. You couldn't read the blank preservation on her face, and looking at her more so, you noticed how fiercely beautiful she was. She seemed dauntless, fearless  a great warrior, you assumed, on the battlefield. No wonder she is ranked as Ser Aymeric's right hand, his alternate commander. Aaaand what do you do? Pick daisies all day?

Ork Kha squawked into your ear, making you jump, "Ork Kha.. Ah.. My apologies. This is Ork Kha. She'll be accompanying me in Ishgard for a.. good long while." You patted Ork Kha atop her head, rewarding you with a loving chirp from her.

"Is that truly all?" Lucia interrogated.

You were taken aback. What? You glanced to Ser Aymeric who had his fingers pinched to the bridge of his nose, sighing.

"I would see through that my Lord or this city is not harmed in any way, Miss (F/N). Do you understand?"

"Yes! W-wait.. No.."

"Do you, or not?" She crossed her arms.

"I do? I.. would never harm anyone, Lady Lucia. I just want to help.." You weren't sure why you were feeling so guilty over something you wouldn't do. Why was she so stern all of a sudden? You've only just met her.

She sighed, "Of course you do." Suddenly, she knelt before you, raising her head to meet yours, "And with much humility with that first impression of myself, do I need to thank you for all that you have done. You have shown my Lord warmth and care when I could not, and to add on, you ask nothing in return."

You were absolutely speechless. Ork Kha meeped. Did you hear her correctly? Here you are prepared to be criticized for your actions, that you did no do yet again, only to be met with the opposite. It was quiet for a moment as you tried to search for the right words for Lucia. You needed to reassure her. She seemed to be putting her trust in you prior to meeting you and whether that was your own influence or Ser Aymeric's, you were immensely humbled.

Likely sensing you worries, Ork Kha nuzzled her small head into your cheek in an attempt to comfort you. You swallowed your disquiet, smiling to Ork Kha's warmth. You knelt down to Lucia's level and took a deep breath.

"If I'm being truthful, I believe it was more of the commander watching over me. I'm.. no knight, no adventurer. I'm not even sure if I could lift a sword correctly but.. I want to help where I can and" You side glanced at Ser Aymeric, his lips forming a grin when your eyes met, "and.. who.. I can." You blushed lightly to his gaze and fiddled with your fingers, "He's been kind to me more than I considered to deserve. And I just wish to show the same kindness  that's all I want in.. return."

Lucia tilted her head, attentive.

You smiled at her, "So there's no reason to apologize, Lady Lucia. I understand the reservation on my behalf. You're just looking out for the commander and what's more, you don't know me well. But.. maybe we can catch up some day so we're" You gulped at your next words, "more closer to friends?"

Sweat began to form on your forehead. Those words felt awkward on your tongue saying them out loud. You felt suddenly awkward. What are you asking exactly? Did you just ask someone to be friends with you? Are you a young child?

The air was quiet for a moment until Lucia's chuckle broke the silence, "You.. want to be my friend? You are quite an oddball, no? My Lord's words ring truer each time you speak; unusual and delightful."

The word unusual pinged through your heart like a reverberation. Ser Aymeric thinks I'm.. unusual?

A cough broke you from your thoughts and Lucia made another soft chuckle.

"An impressive.. display, Lucia. Though I would highly prefer, dear (F/N) not to run off," Ser Aymeric stood above both of you and Lucia, shaking his head. "And now that you two are quite acquainted, tis' about time I escorted this one to our destination," His face looked troubled as he glanced at Lucia.

"My apologies, Lord Commander," Lucia smiled, extending her hand out to you. "I would no keep you any longer, howbeit I just have one final word for Miss (F/N)."

You grabbed her hand as she offered to help you to your feet.

"I quite like you. Continue to stay by his side, will you? And you too, my little dragon friend," Lucia requested, smiling at Ork Kha.

Your face turned a light shade of pink. To what extent does she actually mean?

Ser Aymeric cleared his throat and took a few steps towards the door, opening it, "I believe that is entirely up to her. Howbeit" He looked to you, "for today, can I selfishly desire for you to accompany me until dusk, my dear?"

You turned to look at him, who was holding the door open for you, only to be met with a coy smile.

You swallowed your own modesty, "Of.. course!"

You still hadn't the slightest clue for what he had planned, but you were going to follow this man anywhere. You wanted to follow him anywhere.

The weather seemed to be quite in your favor after all. The sun was shining. However, the cool chill in the air remained. The locals and merchants also appeared to be taking in the fortunate weather as well, as more and more of them flooded the streets as you'd never seen before. Yet unfortunately, the man you've been steadily following could not catch a break, for it seemed every ten steps every man, woman, child, beastman, and well, especially women, necessitated to greeting Ser Aymeric. At this point, it didn't even appear you were actually being accompanied by him. Just a stranger walking in the same direction as you were always being pushed to the side by any and every folk. Though you stood awkwardly and patiently near him waiting for the greetings to subside, Ser Aymeric always made it a manner to give you an apologetic face. Strolling his way to your side after every hello he received.

You heard occasional hushed gossip and felt disheartened glares from noblemen and women as you walked beside him. You clung to Ork Kha as she dozed off in your arms despite the ruckus. It comforted you somehow. At the same time, Ser Aymeric's presence alone brought you immense relief. Perhaps it was his easing voice or tall stature, or the way he walked a bit slower to match your pace. There was this.. underlying confidence in you when he chose to smile your direction. Your heart and your thoughts were lightened by each passing blissful moment because of this, despite the crowd. And before you knew it, you were outside a building, labeled with a globe placard.

"I do hope that walk was not too dreary for you. Twas' rather tasking and.." Ser Aymeric made a slight sigh, "..the townsfolk emerged to be some matter of an obstacle."

You noted that he seemed a bit dissatisfied with the crowds. You shook your head, "Don't worry about me. I enjoyed the stroll, and it was nice to see so many people welcoming you. I assume you get that a lot..?"

"Recently. Only recently. The closure of the initial war may have mitigated hearts towards supporting me. Regardless of the fact that I was, and am, not the ultimate champion of that tale," Ser Aymeric closed his eyes as if he was reminiscing. "Say, you have also come to be under the presence of the Warrior of Light, yes?"

Your eyes shimmered at the question. You only met Tauriel for a brief moment back at Falcon's Nest but even that small passing amazed you.

"Only for a moment.. Never thought I would see the day I could see him up close," You beamed, thinking back to the memory. "I wish I could have spoken to him.."

Ser Aymeric made a muffled chuckle, "Is that so? Twould' seem only natural for Tauriel to have an admirer." He looked to you, "Perhaps a second interaction is in order?"

What? You looked back to him quite shocked.

A sudden burst through the doors facing you pulled your attention. An Elezen man dressed in chirurgeon attire briskly walked towards Ser Aymeric and bowed his head.

"My Lord! Forgive me, there was talk inside thou have arrived but I did not expect the very man to be standing out in the chill!" The Elezen spoke in alarm.

"Do not fret, Jannequinard. I was merely speaking with Miss (F/N) before heading inside," Ser Aymeric headed towards the open doors, motioning a hand out, eyeing you. "Ladies first, my dear."

You tried to hold back your blush and smile. You walked into the building and took a strong glance in amazement at the sights. There were so many instruments and scriptures you had never seen before. Maps of stars decorated the building, and there was a surplus of globes and sphere-looking arsenals displayed about. You scanned through the few folk looking at maps on walls and reading off cards. As you continued to scan the room, your eyes glanced to a card someone had in possession. The green tinge to the card accentuated the image of a tree on it and without a second glance you knew exactly where you were.

"A-Astrology?" You muttered.

"I did not forget," Ser Aymeric peered over your shoulder.

"The bole  maps, tarot cards, this place.. I've only seen images of these in books!" You beamed, glancing around once more in enthusiasm.

"Though I am only attune to some magicks in my expertise.. these sort of divinations are wildly remarkable, are they not?" He said, grazing his fingers on the metal of a displayed globe.

You couldn't wipe the goofy smile off your face as you imagined Ser Aymeric thinking about the perfect place to take you  remembering what you told him. And all this, this was it.

"I trust I made a good decision judging from that rapt smile of yours," His blue eyes melted into you.

Words couldn't describe how wonderful the man standing before you was. This place was a sight you'd thought you would never come to experience and being with him was all the more meaningful. You covered your mouth to hide your animated expression.

Ork Kha made a happy rumbling noise as she looked to you to see your delighted face. She was happy to see you happy.

Ser Aymeric reached a hand out and poked you playfully on the forehead, "No need to be so modest, my dear. I rather enjoy seeing you smile so fervently." He crossed his arms, "And to add to that, twould' be quite rude of me to stop said smile, so I have prepared a small tour lead by our very own Jannequinard."

"R-Really??" You beamed. He set this all up?

Jannequinard stood to the side and bowed in your direction, "Twould' be my honor! Follow me."

Ser Aymeric made a content smile and nodded his head to the chirurgeon man.

You and Ser Aymeric both trailed off behind him. Being as eager as the first day you arrived in Ishgard, you wondered what else Ser Aymeric planned for your, and his, day of solace. Was this really just the beginning of your adventure?

"By the Twelve! I never realized the stars worked in these ways! And to be able to incorporate celestial properties into healing..?" You rattled on and on to Ser Aymeric about all that you learned on your little tour. You took a moment to breathe, yet it came out a sigh. "How I wish.. I was accustomed to magic."

Ser Aymeric leisurely walked at your pace, smiling as he listened, "We are all children of the Star. Do not discount yourself, for the makings of a great mage could shine brightly in time." He craned his neck to look at you, "Practice and some added perseverance, tis' all you need."

You heard his words, but it initiated a moment for you to ponder on a response. You were so enthralled learning about the stars today  your humility shadowed its way back into your head. You began to realize you hadn't had much conversation with the man who made it all happen. Rather, you were the one doing all the chatter. All this excitement had blinded you  that only just now have you begun to take notice that Ser Aymeric hardly talked at all throughout the day. Were you being rude by expressing so much? You usually never talk quite so.. enthusiastically, but you were so thrilled. He's usually very discreet with his words unless needed, but you never knew what he was thinking. He always wears a.. content expression everywhere he goes. But how true is that?

You needed to say something to him. Anything. Well — maybe thanking him was a good start.

The crisp air made you shiver all the more next to your chagrin. You looked over to him, his breath making hushed puffs of air into the cool. The certain atmosphere you've felt with Ser Aymeric was something new to you. It was a far-off feeling unlike that with Renji, and well, anyone else. It made you anxious, yet.. comfortable? Your feelings were already jumbled enough. You clung to Ork Kha for warmth who, once again, slept nonchalantly in your arms.

You inhaled a deep breath and whispered out a "Thank.. you." You took a small step before halting your movement completely. "For.. today, and for supporting all my mouth running and the idea that I too can become a mage. I know it probably wasn't your idea of a productive day, and I feel undeserving for that.. in which I'm sorry, yet I enjoyed what you planned."

Ser Aymeric turned to you and blinked a few times before folding his arms, "Tis' come to my understanding that you are quite hard on yourself."

Huh? You thought, staring at the ground as you were a bit taken aback.

"You often apologize for everything, and anything, and added with that meek look of yours.." Ser Aymeric walked to you, reaching out and tapping a finger under your chin, ushering you to focus on him. "I believed in you from the start. Whether it be magick or Botany. You spend so much time encouraging  admiring others that you have all forgotten to take a moments notice for yourself. I have already seen such great vigor come forth within you. Now, all that is needed is for you to arrange love and courage into that humble head of yours. Though I say it more often than not, you are without a doubt the most gracious and kindest being I have come to pass.. Pray, leave some of that kindness for yourself."

You were glad the sky grew nearer to dusk. The illumination of the torches on nearby buildings were the sole portions of light that masked your already flushed cheeks and teary eyes.

Ser Aymeric's blue eyes seemed to almost look through you as he briskly removed a strand of hair away from your eye, "I have great faith in you, (F/N), I only hope you can learn to have the same faith for your reserved heart."

Your mind went completely blank, for all you wanted to do was cry and cry. Yes, a small count of people have been a source of encouragement in your life that believed in you, but.. nothing ever like this. You felt such bliss in your heart the way Ser Aymeric revolved around you without even really trying. His every word, gesture, and glance appointed your way was enough to make time stand still. You wanted time to stand still. Right now, you wanted nothing more than this feeling to continue forever.

All you could conjure from your humbleness was but to make a half smile as he looked at you.

You searched for words, only to whisper, "I'm sorry.. I'll try"

"Ah!" He softly chopped the top of your head with his hand interrupting you.

You placed a single hand to cover your mouth as the other still held onto the dormant dragon. Oh.. Right.

He lightly chuckled, "Good I shall take that as a step forward?" He eyed you once more before taking notice of the darkening sky. "I believe a pause for this conversation is in order. Tonight is not concluded just yet. And twould' rather be unchivalrous of me to keep you out in this growing freeze."

Huh? You were flabbergasted.

Ser Aymeric walked a few steps towards you, placing a hand over his chest as he made a small respectful bow.

You stood as if you were stunned by a Basilisk's petrification.

"What dreadful man am I if I cannot even carry out the simplest of tasks of escorting my beloved Botanist to dinner?" His velvet voice caressed the quiet air.

Your heart stopped. Beloved?

A genuine grin formed on his lips.

Is this..? No no no no no no. It can't be. This whole day? An enjoyable, leisure day and now dinner to climax the night? This.. This.. This is begging to sound awfully similar to.. to.. a..

... date?

__________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

218 16 8
This is a short story about Henry Varon, the father of the Varon brothers: Michael, Raphael, Gabriel, and Uriel from my full-length novel "The Long R...
730 50 30
It's been over a cycle since I was almost caught by the Hunters, since I was torn apart from my family and was thrown halfway across the dimension, t...
115K 1.4K 102
#42 in Divergent (08/15/2018) #7 in Tris Prior (08/15/2018) #8 in Tobias Eston (08/15/2018) Disclaimer: I do not own the Divergent Series. FourTris p...
8.3K 317 40
After tragedy strikes her home, Galahdian refugee Aaralyn Kailiani is forced to pick up her life and move it to a city that does not want her. Strugg...