The Pain that Made Her Beauti...

By courtwriter

Nayeli is a slave in an Ancient Roman town called Sarni and is content with her life, that is until a raiding... More

The Pain that Made Her Beautiful (Edited)
The Pain that Made Her Beautiful Ch2 (E)
The Pain that Made Her Beautiful Ch3 (E)
The Pain that Made Her Beautiful Ch4 (E)
The Pain that Made Her Beautiful Ch5 (E)
The Pain that Made Her Beautiful Ch6 (Pic of Thanos) Edited!
The Pain that Made Her Beautiful ch8 (E)
The Pain that Made Her Beautiful ch9 (E)
The Pain that Made Her Beautiful ch10
PMHB ch11 (Pic of Neorah)
PMHB ch12
PMHB ch13 (Pic of Nayeli)
PMHB ch14
PMHB ch15 (Pic of Warick)
PMHB ch16
PMHB ch17
PMHB ch18 (Pic of Avel)
PMHB ch19
PMHB ch20 (Pic of Apollo)
PMHB ch21
PMHB ch22
PMHB ch23 (Pic of Hermun)
PMHB ch24
PMHB ch25
PMHB ch26 (Pic of Alan)
PMHB ch27
PMHB ch28
PMHB ch29
PMHB ch30
PMHB ch31
PMHB ch32 (Pic of Brenden)
PMHB ch33
PMHB ch 34
PMHB ch35 (Pic of Marcus)
PMHB ch36
PMHB ch 37
PMHB ch 38
PMHB 39
PMHB 40
PMHB 41
PMHB 42
PMHB 43
PMHB 43.5
PMHB 43.75

The Pain that Made Her Beautiful ch7 (E)

2.2K 21 17
By courtwriter

Y'all shoud really consider reading this story. I am not sure if it is still there, but if it is, Jorgiie is a very talented author. Take a look. See how you like it.  "Fade To Black: The Dark Enchantress" by Jorgiie.

By the way, this chapter is COMPLETELY different. I would really suggest reading it...

Enjoy!

~JB

*                           *                                    *                                         *

Warick watched Nayeli intently. She had been sleeping for hours. The sleep, however, was without repose and restless.

After he had gotten back to the caravan, Warick had slowed his pace and just watched her sleep. He couldn’t put his finger on it, but something about this Egyptian beauty made his breath catch and his stomach knot. All forms of harshness would wither within him as soon as he laid his eyes upon hers. Warick had never seen such eyes before. Not only are they beautiful, they hold a wonder and mystery in them that I could only hope to understand. Apart from that, Warick saw a will so strong and free that…if I were responsible for reining it in, I would be responsible for shaking the earth in its foundations. The gods would not treat me kindly for doing such a thing. Within Nayeli’s eyes, Warick saw something that challenged all the reason and ideology he had ever known. She was unbreakable, but she was already so broken. She was whole, yet she was completely shattered. She was so rigid and coarse; however, she was so delicate that the smallest breeze seemed to shake her. Nayeli would not be broken. She would not be hurt by anything. She stood alone.

Warick had never seen anything so perfect in his life. All he knew, however, was that he wanted it; he wanted Nayeli; he would have her somehow. Someday, be that now or months from now. Submissive—or defiant.

At this very moment, though, Warick’s feelings were not of any priority. He could devote himself to this task once he returned home.

Warick squinted as he looked up. He saw the sun begin to creep down behind the mountainous hills in front of him. The golden rays of the sun pierced the looming clouds above, reflecting reds, oranges, and yellows on the white cotton balls, which in turn reflected the lights to the earth. These wee hours of the morning and the last moments of the daylight were Warick’s very favorite times of day: the unnatural beauty of the rising sun gave the world a sharpness he seldom saw. The red hues made the greens sharper; the oranges made the reds come alive; the yellows made the blues around him in the water, the sky, and the little wild flowers pop so wildly that he could scarcely breathe.

Warick rode his horse up to his brother, Hermun, who was in front of the caravan.

“Hermun, we need to find somewhere to stay tonight.”

As the eldest brother of the two, Warick was in charge of the campaign, and as the younger of the two, Hermun was subordinate to Warick. A fact that Hermun venomously disliked and took every opportunity he could to express. Though he was more inconspicuous about it now, Warick was still able to clearly see it in Hermun’s gait as well as everything he did or said.

“What do you want me to do about it, oh brother?” Hermun replied sarcastically.

Warick ignored the bait. “The men need rest after the town. Those have been the most difficult captures that we’ve had to make so far this promotion.”

“That is true. What happened back there?” Hermun gestured behind them with his head.

Warick let his hunger for Nayeli out in a flicker across his face as his unspoken response.

“Oh really, how was she?”

“And I would tell you this why?” Warick let some of his authority leak into his voice.

“Because you normally do, brother.”

“It is of no concern to you, Hermun. Just find us a place to make camp.”

“What is the sudden wall that I have never experienced?” Hermun pretended to be taken aback.

“The wall is called, ‘I am in charge.’ Now go find us a place to sleep.”

“Fine…” Hermun humphed.

Why can’t he just agree the first time? I mean really… he always ends up doing what I order him to anyways.

Warick watched Hermun find a few good men and go scouting ahead of the caravan. They were in search of a clearing large enough and accessible enough for wagons, but far enough off the road so that the fires they would make for heating and cooking would not be detected.

Warick continued to lead the caravan forward for about ten more miles. All the while, Warick gradually became more and more agitated that Hermun wasn’t already back for them. Where is that foolish child? He should’ve been back miles ago.

Warick had watched the reds, oranges, and yellowish-golds slowly fade into a hardened, black speckled blanket that slowly enveloped the sky. Then the glowing white crescent moon rose high into the sky. Warick heard the sound of horse hooves approaching from up ahead and to his right. Warick halted the undersized cavalcade and yelled in Latin, “Who approaches?”

“I do,” said a voice. It was Hermun’s. Finally!

Warick continued the procession forward and met his impertinent little brother half way.

Warick scolded him, “ Where have you been? I have been waiting for you for over five hours and am not happy with your doddling. What have you been doing?”

“You ordered me to find a place to stay overnight. I did, though we had to go for miles and hours to find one that is up to your impossible and overly high standards. The problem with this putrid place is the fact that the trees are so blasted close together. Most of the time, we couldn’t even walk through them. So we had to find somewhere closer to the roads. It is about five miles into the forest, instead of your preferable twenty-some,” Hermun’s words dripped with sarcasm as he baited Warick in to a fight.

“Well then, I apologize for acting the way I did. Where is it?”

His apology had the effect Warick had intended: Hermun was caught off guard.

Hermun shifted his weight, “Follow me,” Hermun rode ahead in front of Warick.

Warick indulged Hermun’s pride by letting him lead. He followed Hermun into a secluded clearing. This is perfect, Warick thought to himself.

“This is perfect, Hermun.”

His brother inhaled deeply and puffed his chest out in pride.

Warick and his men were able to set the wagons up in a semi-circle. The other half of the circle was predominantly made up of tents. They were strategically placed, a few them, placed in a way that surrounded the wagons in case any captive was foolish enough to attempt an escape. There were four or five fires set and lit in the middle of the camp, all of which were cooking venison. Many of the captives were famished and Warick wouldn’t unduly mistreat any of them. He told his men that anyone who gave undeserved beatings or whippings would be beaten or whipped to the same degree.

Warick was confident most of his men would follow his instruction, save for the few strong headed, reckless younger men who he brought along at the request of his father. Most of them were easy to handle, a simple glare or a few whippings would straighten them out. Most of the troublemakers had already straightened out. All except Alan and his miscreants. The boys would always leave loose ends that Warick could never tie, and therefore he could never truly punish them. Although, because most of the deeds that the scoundrels pulled off were rather unpleasant, Warick never really wanted to know who had truly been responsible. For as vile as the boys were, they were each individually irreplaceable swords and were often the only reason they were able to get away from their enemies unscathed.

However, for as well as the lowlifes were able to wield a weapon, they could not best Hermun or Warick, as they were the chief’s sons. It is a matter of understanding the Germanic culture. Germanic tribal customs were most commonly to place the best warrior in the position of chief. If the chief died and his eldest son chose to take his place, he could. Though, if another man of the tribe came forward and bested the chief, he would become the new ruler.

After the tents were erected, Warick let the wagons out, one by one, to collect their venison and to write the name of each captive on a ledger. Every time a wagon door was opened, the hostages had to walk through a walkway of German soldiers, all on high alert, to the table where Warick was writing the names of each prisoner. From there, the captives went through another walkway of Warick’s men to the fires where they collected their rations and went to eat on logs that the Germans had set out. The captors ate before the captives. As they ate, the hostages were watched like hawks, lest there be any funny business.

As Warick took names, the girl n-n-n, oh, whatever her name was, came forward. She was the last captive to go past him. Warick still hadn’t forgotten her strange gaze. A strange sensation went from the top of his spine and tingled all the way down to the tip of his toes as he saw her dark, mysterious eyes.

“Name,” Warick ordered her. He was perfectly right in asking. Every time Warick came a smidgen away from remembering the amber-eyed girl’s name, it would elude him and slip from his mind as an oiled rock does from one’s hands.

“You, dearest and most kindly lord of mine, know my name. Remember? You made me tell you after almost partaking of my maidenhead,” the girl said.

“Did she just say almost?” Hermun jested from Warick’s right. He went in to a fit of laughter, “I thought you said—“ Warick jabbed his elbow into Hermun’s gut before he could say anything more and the air whooshed out of his lungs.

“Hey!” Hermun said defensively as he stood sharply.

“Whoever said ‘almost’ is a fool.”

“Sir, are you calling me a fool?” she jabbed.

“Yes, I am. You are the slave. You know nothing.”

The girl’s facial expression twisted in distaste toward Warick’s comment. “What you say is true, sir. I know nothing of this world. You know all.”

“At least you have learned something in the last day.”

Hermun’s face was confused as his face swiveled back-and-forth between the conversing.

“But you have learned nothing.”

Warick’s pride stung. He stood and smacked the girl across the face with the back of his hand, “Name!”

*                              *                                      *                                     *

The force from Warick’s almost caused Nayeli to fall. She caught herself with her other foot. Her hair went flying around her face. As she looked down to the ground it fluttered around her face. I will not falter.

“You know my name, my lord.” She spat out the last word as she drew herself up with regal disdain, keeping her eyes averted. If he wants to play this game, let him! I’ll beat back every blow!

“Then remind me, girl.”

Hermun stepped forward, “This slave needs to learn her place!”

Warick gave a “go ahead” with his hand and his foul brother stepped forward.

“Be gentle Hermun,” Warick jested.

Hermun stepped behind Nayeli and engulfed her with tree-trunk arms, “Not so brave now, are you?” He whispered huskily in her ear, “If it were not for my brother’s little crush on you, I would have you right here, right…” as he spoke, Hermun’s hands wandered around her body in a way that made Nayeli want to shiver, but she held her repose. His hands slid up to her chest, “now.”

“Then what is stopping you, if you are such a gallant and virile man?” Nayeli’s words were wet with disdain.

“Watch your step. I, unlike my brother, will not restrain from causing you undue pain.” He spun her around in his arms so that they were cheek-to-cheek, his lips whispered a touch against her neck as he spoke, “Now, cooperate, or I will be inclined to take those…privileges tonight.”

Nayeli knew there was no bluff in his voice.

“Nayeli,” she said loudly enough for Warick to hear.

“Good girl. Now, be expecting a man to retrieve you tonight. There will be a surprise for you,” Hermun’s voice was just above a whisper again.

“How dare you! I cooperated.”

“Either you, or I will be compelled to take your little friend, what was her name again? Oh, yes, Neorah. She will do just fine, though she may not return to you if you do not watch your step.”

Fear shot through Nayeli as she heard his words. He will hold fast to these promises. I cannot let Neorah suffer for my pride. Nayeli felt her pride snap as her will chipped around the edges.

*                                *                                      *                                     *

Warick had to admit, he was incredibly jealous as he sat and watched Hermun handle his prize. As soon as he had gotten her name, Hermun returned to Warick’s side.

“Was that so hard, Warick?”

“Don’t taunt me, brother.”

“What? I would never taunt you, I would only ‘almost’ taunt you.” Hermun had a devilish smirk across his face and Warick had half a mind to punch it off. “But, you must admit, we do make a compelling team, brother.”

“That we do, brother.”

“If I am no longer needed, my lords, I would wish to return to my wagon. It is chilly outside and I do long to shut my eyes.”

Warick stood and walked around the make-shift table, “Yes, but first, what did you learn today?”

He saw the flash of defiance flash in Nayeli’s eyes just as she opened her eyes to speak, “My name, my lord.”

Warick charged forward and grabbed her jaw with his hand. As he looked at her face, he saw the vestiges of a red mark from where he had smacked her on her cheek. Then Warick saw it, the one thing he never thought he would have the pleasure of witnessing from Nayeli’s eyes: fear. “Watch it, girl. I will not be so kind to you this time as I was the last.” Then Nayeli’s fear-filled eyes turned to Hermun. I wonder what he said to her.

Hermun muttered, “Yeah, but this time you’ll only almost be able to—“ Hermun’s sly comment was cut off by Warick’s fist in his stomach as he turned on his brother. While he shut his mouth, Hermun had doubled over in quiet laughter, though tears of pain flowed from getting the wind knocked out.

“Well, it seems that I still stand in the upper-hand, sir.” Nayeli’s voice was smugly playful.

Warick indulged her, “How is that…Nayeli?”

Saying her name sent chills down his spine as she set her eyes upon his for a fraction of a second.

“For all of your teasing and pestering, it was not you who ended up beguiling my name out of me, but your brother.”

“What is your point, girl?”

“I still stand less foolish. You could not remember my name still, so you got your little brother to remember it for you.”

“Well, how can you blame me? After all, I wasn’t really paying attention to your words when you told me your name, for there were,” Warick paused and gave her body a quick up-down,” other distractions.”

Nayeli’s face went hot. ”Words are of great import, sir.”

It was Warick’s turn to get upset. That pest!

It took him a moment to figure a reply. Nayeli had a triumphant smirk in her eyes as she kept them averted, her face placid. Warick gave a small lift to the sides of his mouth and fixed a hungry glint in his eyes, “Well, if one has toys, I do not understand why he does not play with them. It is healthy for a person to be childish every so often. After all, the toy I like best is the one I am currently beholding,” Warick gave another look of Nayeli’s body, settling straight on her eyes, “isn’t she an exquisite toy, Hermun” Warick stood and walked over to Nayeli, setting his hand on her face,” and to touch.” As his last words left his lips—just to ruffle her feathers—Warick leaned in and gave Nayeli a kiss on the mouth.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

294 44 71
Step into an enchanting world brimming with love, secrets, and past intrigues, where the destiny of a kingdom teeters on the edge amidst a whirlwind...
7 0 3
'Nayeli is a talented but insecure doctor facing the aftermath of a storm. But her greatest terror is sleep; for her nightmares and dreams have turne...
1.2K 97 40
What if your perfectly normal life was thrown into chaos just by meeting a single boy? Mia Harrison, a sixteen year old teenager, believed her l...
64 4 25
Rhenyan has been through a lot. Being the only Master of magic in existence will do that to a person. He and his trobah, Auroya, pride themselves on...