PMHB ch19

*                                                *                                                            *                                                *

Nayeli watched as Avel walked forward and placed his hands on the small of the girl’s waist as she stood. She could not tell who she may be as her back was to her still. She was very beautiful, that Nayeli could tell.

*                                                *                                                            *                                                *

Neorah froze. She knew there had to have been a reason for her coming to this tent, but she had prayed fervently as she had walked in that it would not come to pass. As the man, she had learned to know as Avel, placed his hands on her waist, Neorah’s heart began to race and thunder in fear. She cherished her innocence so much, and yet, the fallen angel had possibly found a way to steal that which she held most dear.

Avel’s hands began to wander and Neorah knew she couldn’t do anything. She was terrified. She didn’t want this, none of it. Neorah wanted to shove Avel back and run. No matter what she wanted, Neorah knew her place and her duty.

Oh, God, please, rescue me from this nightmare! Please! Don’t let him have what he seeks! Neorah prayed desperately.

Avel’s hands were gone when Neorah came out of her small prayer. She thought it was over, but she thought too soon. Avel placed one of his arms around her waist his hand pressed flat to her stomach, pulling her closer in to his body. She felt his other hand pulling the hair on the left side of her neck back, subsequently replaced by his lips. Neorah’s eyes went wide with fear as he continued to kiss her neck, her shoulder, and then her back.

A spark was lit immediately in her spirit, from where she did not know. Neorah’s calm was gone, along with her integrity. She grabbed Avel’s hand that was a cross her stomach and pushed it off her. Next, Neorah pulled her sleeve back up, retied her sash and turned around.

*                                                *                                                            *                                                *

Nayeli’s eyes went wide with fury toward Avel as the girl turned around and pushed him away. The girl was Neorah! She was furious and had the look in her eyes that Nayeli had seen several times and almost felt sorry for Avel as he was about to get a serious talking to from Neorah; however, Nayeli did not feel sorry enough for Avel to pity him.

Neorah stalked forward and, with every step she took forward, Avel took one back. Neorah ran him into his stool. Avel half plopped, half tripped, on to the stool. Neorah put her hands on her hips and bent slightly, her free wisps of hair falling and framing her already furious eyes.

*                                                *                                                            *                                                *

Avel sat in shock as the girl pointed her first finger of at him and began to talk. What he had expected to be an angry shout was only a stern lecture.

“Don’t ever think that you, no matter who you think you are, are even allowed to look at my body the way you just touched it, ever again! My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and I will remain pure until I am either married or die to go to His house to live. I will take any beating, any punishment that you may see fit to give me for my disobedience. However, that would not do anything but to prove that you are the same type of low-lives that saw as their right to mercilessly torture my best friend, my soul sister, my guardian angel, Nayeli,” the girl finished.

Her last words were absolutely correct about him looking the same way as Hermun and his miscreants. He would be doing, not only Warick a disservice, but would be driving away Nayeli, which is the opposite of what Warick wanted.

Again, Nayeli’s words echoed in his mind. I will catch anything they can throw at me. Just because this is a society where men control every woman around them doesn’t mean I can’t fight for the innocence that you devilish men have not yet stolen.

All Avel could say was, “I’m sorry…?”

He had been unsure of whom to address.

“Neorah.”

“I’m sorry, Neorah.”

“Your apology is accepted.”

And with that, Neorah picked up her small pitcher and walked out of the tent, her dignity still in tact.