Catching the Storm

By Quidam13

"They call him The Storm for a reason. He's Jackson Storm, you should be running in the other direction." I s... More

Description/Author's Note
Prologue - Let Me Tell You a Story . . .
1. Thomas Gavin aka Future Murder Victim
2. A Name. Jackson Storm
3. A Plan in the Making
4. We Meet Again
5. Losing Patience
6. Two Choices. Choose Wisely
7. Playing with Fire
8. Careful What You Wish For
9. Lights, Camera, Action
10. More Complications
11. Mystery Man
12. Hitmen, Guns, and Bait
13. Blackmail
14. Let the Hunt Begin
15. Tessa Dixon
16. A Second Lead
17. Uninvited Guest
18. Kidnapping, Fights, and Finer Qualities
19. Old Friends
20. Manipulative Mind Readers
22. Reminders, Planning and Fun
23. Mrs. Branson
24. Lack of Personal Space
25. Surveillance
26. Challenges
27. Unwanted Dances
28. Playing the Hand You're Dealt
29. Questions Unanswered
30. SOS
31. Neutral Party
32. Thank You
33. Caught in the Middle
34. One Question
35. How to Fix a Conman
36. Redo
37. Eye for an Eye
38. Hotel Rooms, Knives, and Bullets
39. The Word of A Conman
40. Heading Home
41. Not So Gracious Host
42. Formal Introductions
43. One's Enough
44. Full of Surprises
45. Go Jump off a Cliff
46. Trust Goes Both Ways
47. Answers
48. Who?
49. Happy Endings are for Stories that are Finished
Author's Note

21. Till DEATH Do Us Apart

5.6K 429 89
By Quidam13

Thanks for waiting.

I apologize for the long wait. I do however have the rest of the month as well as most of next month off from my college courses. So, we'll see how many updates I can get done.

I realize you all have been waiting for a long time, but my college classes will always come first. And since I'm studying for a degree in biochemistry, they're not easy courses. So if I have to take the majority of my time to study and work on the classes, I will.

Now, enjoy!

Oh, and Agent 34 has been updated as well for those of you reading that book.

Crystal's POV

"Mr. and Mrs. Jones," Jackson said to the woman at the front desk. "We're here to check-in."

"Tell me," I whispered in Jackson's ear. "When you had Noah create these fake identities for us, did you happen to have him put a life insurance policy on you?"

"I don't believe so," He replied as he turned to me. "Why?"

"Because I'd like to know if Mrs. Jones gets any money to her name once I kill you."

"It would have to be an accidental death."

"When you drown, it'll look accidental."

"Is being married to me that bad?"

"I've had nightmares more pleasant than this."

"I think I should feel offended."

"Do you?"

"No."

"I hate you."

"Till death do us apart."

"Yes," I agreed. "Emphasis on death."

Jackson just shrugged and kept his focus on the woman as she typed in her computer and then began sorting through room keys.

"Alright," She finally said with a smile. "Here are your room keys. I hope you both enjoy your stay with us."

Jackson threw an arm around my waist and pulled me flush into his side. "Oh, we will," He replied with a smile. "Princess here has had her heart set on this place for our honeymoon ever since I proposed."

"In this convoluted backstory you're making up out of thin air," I whispered in his ear. "At what point do I get to shoot you?"

He smiled down at me and tapped me on the nose, his arm firmly around my waist and keeping me pinned into him. "Now, now Babe, let's play nice today."

"What do I get out of that?"

Jackson waggled his eyebrows at me.

"Forget I asked," I muttered. "I no longer want an answer."

He turned and smiled back at the lady. "Thank you very much," He said (way too gleefully, if you ask me).

"You're welcome," She pointed to a map on the wall behind her. "Here's a copy of the resort map," She pointed to a stack of folded glossy papers on the edge of the front desk. "and if you need anything at all during your stay don't hesitate to ask."

"Oh we won't," Jackson said cheerfully. He squeezed my shoulder and looked down at me in false adoration. "Ready to go, Princess?"

I shot him an overly exaggerated sweet smile. "After you, darling,"

He smiled back at me, except this time it was his usual smirk, and tapped me on the nose before leading us both down a hallway. As soon as we were out of sight of anyone else, I immediately threw his arm off my shoulders and took two steps sideways.

"If I didn't know any better," Jackson said with his usual smug tone of voice. "I'd think you didn't like me."

"Oh gee," I retorted with a roll of my eyes. "What gave you that impression?"

He threw his head back and laughed. "You need to stop giving me mixed signals Babe."

I held up my hand to silence him. "We are not speaking of . . . that," I said since I knew exactly what he was referring to.

He smiled slyly. "Now who's the mind reader?"

"Do you ever stop talking?"

He shrugged as we stepped into an elevator. "I like the sound of my voice."

"That's not a surprise." I rubbed at my head since the smugness he was radiating was giving me a headache. "What did you do with Julie and Agent North?" I asked him. "They weren't on the yacht this morning."

"I'm surprised you didn't ask sooner." He shrugged again. "But, it's not your concern. You'll see them soon enough."

"What did you do?"

"Always so accusatory," He muttered as he scrolled through his phone. "They're both fine. Don't worry."

"It's impossible not to worry with you involved."

He smiled and winked at me just as the elevator doors opened. I followed him down the hallway in front of us until he stopped in front of one of the hotel room doors. He inserted one of the keycards given to us and then pushed the door open.

He swept an arm out dramatically toward the room. "After you, Babe," He said.

I glared at him. "You have to stop calling me that," I muttered as I walked past him and into the room.

It was a very big room, though not quite as big as some others I'd been in. There was a large couch, a loveseat, two recliners, and a coffee table set up in the middle of the room, in front of a huge tv. There were two sets of double doors, one set was open leading into a room with a gigantic heart-shaped bed of all things, and the second set of double doors-which were glass-lead out to a large balcony with lounge chairs and a hot tub on it. The entire room-with the exception of the heart-shaped bed that I didn't even want to think about-was decorated in a beach theme, but that wasn't surprising since the hotel was on the beach and we had a rather impressive view of that beach from the balcony.

I dropped the bag I had been carrying over my shoulder onto one of the recliners and walked into the bedroom, peeking into the attached bathroom for a moment, and then looking in the small closet.

"Nice," I said. I turned to look at Jackson over my shoulder who was still looking down at his phone. "Where are you going to sleep?"

He looked up from his phone and locked eyes with me. The look on his face practically screamed trouble. "Consider it a surprise."

"I think I'll ruin the surprise," I said. "You're sleeping on the couch."

"I'm the one paying for this room," He said, his eyes once again on something on his phone. "You're more than welcome to take the bed, but you'll be sharing it." He looked up to wink at me. "That is what married couples do, after all."

"We're not actually married," I reminded him.

"No," Jackson agreed as he slipped his phone back in his pocket. "but Mr. and Mrs. Jones are."

I rolled my eyes and shook my head, walking toward the balcony doors, opening them, and then stepping outside. I placed my hands on the railing and leaned forward, looking down at the beach below, at all the couples, at the waves crashing against the shore.

"What exactly is the plan here?" I asked him.

"We find Branson, of course."

"Yeah, I know that," I said as I turned to face him and leaned back against the railing. "And how exactly do you intend to go about doing that? Knock on the door to every room? And what are you going to do when you finally find him?"

Jackson leaned into the open doorway and shrugged. "I owe him one."

"Owe him one, what?"

He raised his eyebrows at me. "Does it matter?"

"I think it does. I'd like to know why you're hell-bent on taking me with you into the path of a trained killer."

He smiled at me in that infuriating way of his. "Babe, you have to trust me."

That actually got a laugh out of me. "Me? Trust you?"

He shrugged. "Is that such a wild request?" He asked as he walked toward me. "You'll have to trust me if you don't want to get caught."

"I'll take my chances," I said as I turned away from him and back out to the beach below.

"Suit yourself," He said as he came and stood beside. "But I think you'll be trusting me by the time this is all over."

I scoffed at him. "Sure," I muttered. "and you'll actually grow a red tail and horns."

"I think you meant to say wings."

I groaned and threw my head back. "Do you ever stop?"

"Stop what?"

"Talking. Your insufferable attitude. Your uncanny ability to turn everything sexual. How you never take anything seriously and only exist in this world to piss me off."

"Someone seems tense," He said as he moved to stand behind me. He placed his hands on my shoulder and I immediately moved to get away from him but he tightened his grip on my shoulders, keeping me in place. He leaned into me so his lips brushed against my ear. "Trust me," He whispered.

I groaned.

His hands on my shoulders softened and he began to massage my shoulders and neck. And damn . . . he knew what he was doing because it felt really good. My brain was telling me to move far away from the blackmailing bastard, but my body was leaning into his touch as he continued to massage me.

I found myself unable to focus on much else other than the feel of his hands on my shoulders and neck, the sounds of the ocean, and the smell of the salty fresh air. I could feel him lean closer into me and then his lips were brushing against my ear once again.

"See?" He whispered. "All you had to do was trust me."

"This isn't trust," I said as I closed my eyes and leaned into his touch.

"No? Then what do you call it?"

"A temporary lapse in judgment."

"Ah," He said, his lips moving from my ear to brush lightly against my neck. "in that case, care to take this lapse in judgment into the bedroom?"

And, I was back to the real world. I shoved his hands off me and turned and walked back into the room. "There you go again," I said. "I swear-"

"That's not very nice," He said.

I blew out a sigh and pinched at the bridge of my nose. I turned around to look at him and his back was to me. He was looking out at the beach like I had been before.

I shook my head and walked back out so I was standing beside him. "What is the plan? Because just you saying, trust me, isn't going to work for me."

"Who says I have a plan?" He questioned and I knew he was only answering that way to get a rise out of me since this man seemed to always have a plan, even if he chose not to share it.

I turned to glare at him only to notice he was looking down at the beach distractedly. I looked down as well, half expecting to see Branson standing there, except I didn't. He wasn't there, but Jackson kept staring nonetheless. Seemingly lost in thought.

There was nothing especially eye-catching to look at on the beach. So, I could only conclude he was staring at the women in bikinis. I rolled my eyes and opened my mouth to make a comment when I noticed he was playing with something in his hand.

His hand was fisted around the object, keeping it almost completely concealed, but every now and then when he shifted his fingers, I would catch sight of a gold chain.

I looked back at his face and he was still staring out at the beach, oblivious to the fact that I was watching him. For once, he seemed to forget that there were other people around that could see him. For once he didn't seem so cocky. So sure of himself. Instead, he seemed . . . tired. Sad almost.

"What is that?" I asked him. I didn't get a response and I figured he hadn't heard me. But when I went to ask again, he spoke.

"Don't worry about it," He said simply, stuffing whatever it was back into his pocket. He turned away and walked back into the room. He clapped his hands together. "Now, our bags should be brought to our room shortly-"

I held up my hand. "What bags?" I interrupted. "I brought my bag," I said as I gestured to the bag I'd tossed on the recliner.

He waved his hand dismissively at it. "I only told you to pack a bag so you wouldn't ask too many questions. Your real bag is going to be brought up with mine."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "And what, do tell is in this bag?"

"Nothing unlike the things you've worn before," He said simply as he took a seat and looped his arms behind his head. "You did some very extensive model work. I was impressed when I was first looking into you."

"I also modeled some revealing clothes when I was asked to-"

"That you did."

"-if that's what you packed for me, I'm going to kill you."

He shook his head. "That threat no longer holds any water."

"Oh?" I questioned sarcastically. "And why's that?"

He shrugged. "Maybe it's because your gun accidentally got left on the yacht."

I shot him a deadpan look. "Accidentally? Really?"

"Yes, it was quite an accident when I went through your bag this morning and the gun fell out."

I groaned and ran a hand through my hair in frustration. "Regardless of the fact that I use that gun to threaten you-threats that you never take seriously, by the way-"

"Why on earth would I? If I took every threat made against me seriously, I'd never live."

"-you are about to antagonize a trained killer while taking me along for the ride. That gun is a necessity right now. If not to be used on you then on him."

He waved away my concern. "I have a plan."

"Now why doesn't that make me feel any better?"

Another one of his evil smiles spread across his face. "It wasn't supposed to."

Vote

Comment

Enjoy!

And Thanks for Reading!

Next update by the end of this week

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

138K 3.8K 97
************ I opened my locker but realized something was wrong the minute I looked inside it. Something like paint splashed in my face and on my c...
7.8M 193K 51
"What if the right person is also your Mr. So Wrong?" *** Her lips touched and teased and coaxed him and he felt her touch in every cell and every bo...
10.8K 436 31
Jackson is boy who on his last year of high school, his parents made him go to camp. His family weren't really a rich type of family but he was popul...
447K 12.9K 34
Blaze White is the New Girl at the Prep school in her mothers old home town. But her only goal for senior year is to keep a low profile, no friends...