We're Still Here - Captain Am...

By DrearyWinterDreams

She was a waitress, he was an artist. He was a soldier, she was an assassin. Lucy Stark was the cousin of the... More

1. A Dash Of Cinnamon
2. The Diner Dame
3. That's Ten Percent
5. 325575
6. We Swear
7. Next Saturday
8. The World Was At War
9. The Doctor, The Soldier, and The Genius
10. Suit Up
11. I've Seen Worse
12. Don't Do Anything Stupid
13. My Fiancé
14. Y-E-S Spells Yes
15. The Winter Soldier
16. The Price of Freedom's High
17. The Aftermath
18. The Sketch
19. Worthy
20. No Such Thing As Peace
21. The Kid With The Potato Gun
22. Leaving Tennessee
23. Escape
24. It's Been a While
25. Hacked
26. Will The Circle Be Unbroken?
27. The New Mission
28. Off To Sokovia We Go
29. I Can't Think
30. Stop Being A Hero
31. What's Wrong With Me?
32. I Had Strings
33. What is This?
34. He's a Sickness
35. Truth
36. Familial Love
37. Seoul

4. America's New Hope

11.5K 236 31
By DrearyWinterDreams

Steve had gotten back after chasing the man who had killed Erskine. At that moment, Lucy ran up to him checking for any physical injuries and asking how he felt. A group of men got the machine the man had tried to flee in and bring it back to a secret base in the city.  The next day Steve had gone to get his blood drawn while Lucy stayed with Howard to take a look at the machine. Colonel Phillips walked in while speaking with Senator Brandt.

"Colonel, my committee is demanding answers," the Senator said as he and the Colonel walked around the room.

"Great, why don't we start with how a German spy got a ride to my secret installation in your car," the Colonel spoke before turning to look at the Stark cousins. "What have we got here?"

"Speaking modestly, Lucy and I are the best mechanical engineers in the country, but I have no idea what's inside this thing, or how it works," Howard replied.

"We're not even close to this kind of technology," Lucy added.

"Then who is?" The Senator questioned.

"Hydra."

"I'm sure you've been reading our briefings," Colonel Phillips said turning to the Senator.

"I'm on a number of committees, Colonel," Brandt stated to Phillips.

"Hydra is a Nazi deep science division," Peggy said as she walked over to the Colonel and Senator, Steve keeping a slight distance. "It's led by Johann Schmidt. But he has much bigger ambitions."

"Hydra's practically a cult," Phillips spoke, "They worship Schmidt. They think he's invincible."

"So what are you going to do about it?" Brandt questioned.

"I spoke with the President this morning. As of today, the S.S.R. is being re-tasked."

"Colonel?" Lucy questioned as she walked over to stand with Peggy.

"We are taking the fight to Hydra. Pack your bags, Agent Carter. You too, Mr. Stark. We're flying to London tonight." Lucy looked to the Colonel, confusion was written on her face before her eyes widened in realization. She glared at her cousin knowing he was concerned for her safety and wanted her to stay in New York.

Steve noticed for he spoke up, "Sir if you're going after Schmidt, Lucy and I want in." Lucy looked to her now six foot two friend before giving him a small smile.

"You're an experiment. You're going to Alamogordo."

"The serum worked," Lucy pointed out.

"I asked for an army, Miss Stark, and all I got was him." The Colonel looked at Steve. "You - You're not enough." Colonel Phillips walked away leaving the Senator with Steve, Lucy, and Peggy.

"With all due respects to the Colonel, I think he may be missing the point," Brandt said walking over to Steve and Lucy. "I've seen you in action, Steve. More importantly, the country's seen it. Paper." His assistant walked over and unfolded the news paper he was holding, showing it to the Super Soldier and Agent. "The enlistment lines have been around the block since your picture hit the stands. You don't take a soldier, a symbol like that, and hide him in a lab. Son, you want to serve your country on the most important battlefield of war?"

"Sir, that's all I want," Steve responded.

"Then congratulations. You just got promoted. And Miss Stark?"

"Yes, Sir?" Lucy questioned.

"You'll be with Steve, so don't worry about not having a job to do."

"Thank you, Sir." Steve found out what his job was. Perform for people in hopes of them buying war bonds. A few movie ideas were added into the bunch as a source of entertainment. Lucy was standing backstage with Jimmy, the Senators assistant who was escorting Lucy and Steve as they waited for the show to begin. This was the first performance. Steve was currently changing into the costume he was given. When he finished, he walked over to Lucy.

"How does it look?" he questioned referring to the costume. Lucy smiled stifling a small giggle.

"Looks good, Spangles," she replied. Steve smiled before pulling her into a hug.

"I don't think I can do this," he spoke as the music began playing. Lucy pulled out of the hug as she grabbed the shield while Jimmy walked over to Steve and began talking.

"Nothing to it," he said. "Sell a few bonds, bonds buy bullets, bullets kill Nazi's. Bing, bang, boom. You're an American hero."

"This is not how I pictured getting there."

"Senators got a lot of pull up on the hill. You play ball with us, you'll be leading your own platoon in no time. Take the shield." Steve pulled the mask over his head before taking the shield from Lucy.

"Alright, go," Lucy said as she pushed Steve toward the open curtain before pulling it closed behind him. She moved to the side of the stage to watch from the wing without getting into anyone's way. She hummed along with the song up until it ended. Steve stayed on stage for an applause before the curtains closed. He walked backstage to see Lucy. When he found her, the two began walking back to the dressing room he was assigned too.

"How was the show?" Steve questioned.

"I was great, Steve," Lucy replied.

"Was it obvious I was a little nervous?"

"A little?"

"I'm not used to talking in front of a lot of people, especially when it's practically the whole city."

"Don't worry, Steve. You'll get used to it."

"Hey, Rogers, Stark!" a voice from the other end of the hall called. The two looked behind them to see Jimmy making his way toward them. "Steve, there are some people who want to meet you. Even you Stark. The Senator wants to know if you'd like to be in the next show. He did mention it to the crowd."

"Uh, yeah, sure, I'll be in the next show if he already promised it to the people. As long as I get lines to speak... I'm not the singing type."

"Of course you'll get lines. Now, would both of you follow me." The two followed him to the lobby of the theater. Lucy held on to Steve's arm as it was the only way not to get lost in the large crowd. A few pictures had been taken of people with Steve while some autographs were written. When the last few people left, Steve made his way to the dressing room, too tired to look for Lucy. The Agent looked around the room looking for Steve.

"He went to his dressing room," Jimmy said as he noticed Lucy looking about. She nodded in thanks before making her way there. She knocked on the door, opening it after she heard Steve say 'come in.'

"Hey Spangles," she said pulling a chair over next to his sitting next to him. Steve looked at her and smiled before having it fade away. "Something wrong?"

"No," he replied subtly. "...Yes... I don't even know."

"Tell me about it."

"Well, besides missing Bucky, I guess in a way I miss me being... the little guy."

"I miss Bucky too. And the little guy. But this is a great thing for you, Steve. Your wish came true, minus the part with the performances."

"There's one other thing bothering me..."

"What is it?"

"Well... It's nothing."

"You sure?"

"Yeah... Guess it'd be better to mention it in the future."

More shows occurred, Lucy being in them gaining the title Lady Liberty as Steve had the title Captain America. It was now November of 1943. Lucy and Steve had gone to an American army base in Italy for Steve to give a speech to the soldiers. Both the Captain and Agent were dressed in their costumes. Lucy's happened to be similar to Steve's, though included more red than blue and excluded the mask. Everyone in the audience of soldiers was quiet as Steve spoke.

"How many of you are ready to help me sock ol' Adolph in the jaw?" Steve asked into the microphone. No one responded. "Okay, I need a volunteer."

"We already volunteered, how do you think I got here?" a man from the crowd questioned. Everyone started laughing.

"Bring back the girls!" another man yelled. Steve turned and looked to Lucy.

"I think they only know the one song," Steve replied not knowing what to do. "But um... Let me... I'll see what I can do."

"You do that, sweetheart," a man yelled.

"Nice boots, Tinkerbell," Hodge yelled.

"Come on guys, we're all on the same team here," Lucy said. One guy stood up.

"Hey, Captain!" he yelled. "Sign this." He then pulled the back of his pants down showing both of them, mostly Steve, his ass. Lucy looked away and Steve looked around in discomfort. The crowd laughed. Another man stood up and began to throw tomatoes at Steve, who blocked them with his shield. He began to walk off the stage. Lucy began to follow Steve as he walked away.

"Steve!" she yelled as she began to walk after him.

"Yeah, go run away and rendezvous with the Captain, Lady Liberty!" Hodge yelled.

"Rogers."

"Don't worry about them," Jimmy said to Steve patting him on the back. "They'll warm up to you. Don't worry." Lucy followed Steve down the stairs to the costume tent. She watched as Steve placed the shield on the table and took his mask off while grabbing a coat and his notebook before walking back toward the entrance of the tent before stopping due to Lucy standing in the way.

"Can you please move, Lucky?" Steve questioned. Lucy crossed her arms and shook her head.

"No," she replied. "Steve, you can't let those men get on your nerves." Steve sighed before placing a hand on Lucy's shoulder.

"I know you care, Lucy. And you're protective over me, I know. Just remember that now I can handle myself, though that doesn't mean you have to stop caring." Lucy opened her mouth to say something but closed it before looking at the ground.

"I know. I'm sorry." Steve lifted her chin to make her look at him.

"Don't be." He moved his arm around her shoulders and walked out of the tent. The two sat on the side of the stage under cover to be protected by the rain which had started. Steve began drawing in his note book. A monkey with a costume similar to his. Lucy had closed her eyes and rested her head on his shoulder. Footsteps could be heard behind them.

"Hello Steve, Lucy," a female British voice said. Steve and Lucy looked behind them to see Peggy. She sat down on a box sitting on the stage.

"Hi," Steve greeted, slight confusion heard in his voice. "What are you doing here?"

"Officially, I'm not here at all. That was quite a performance."

"Yeah... Had to improvise a little bit. The crowds we're used to are usually more... twelve."

"I understand that you and Lucy are 'America's New Hope'."

"Bond sales take a ten percent bump on every state we visit," Lucy said.

"That's Senator Brandt's idea?"

"At least he's got us doing this," Steve spoke. "Philips would have had me stuck in a lab."

"And I working at the diner in New York," Lucy stated.

"And these are your only two options?" Peggy questioned. "A lab rat or a dancing monkey. You were meant for more than this, you know." Steve didn't answer right away. "What?"

"You know for the longest time I dreamed about coming over seas... and being on the front lines... serving my country. I finally got everything I wanted, and I'm wearing tights." The three heard honking and saw an ambulance drive up.

"They look like they've been through hell," Steve said watching an injured soldier be taken out of the ambulance. Peggy looked to him.

"These men move the most," she said. "Schmidt sent out a force to Azzano. 200 men went up against him, and less than 50 returned. Your audience contained what was left of the 107th. The rest were killed or captured."

"The 107th?" Lucy questioned, standing up.

"What?" Lucy looked to Steve. Without grabbing her jacket she began running to the tent area Colonel Philips was in. Peggy grabbed the girl's leather jacket as her and Steve followed after the Agent. They got to where Colonel Philips was.

"Colonel Philips," Lucy greeted walking up to where the Colonel sat, Steve and Peggy walking up behind her.

"Well, if it isn't Lady Liberty," the Colonel began saying, "and the Star Spangled Man with the plan. What is your plan today?"

"I need the casualty list from Azzano."

"You don't get to give me orders, Agent."

"We just need one name," Steve said, "Sergeant James Barnes from the 107th."

"You and I are going to have a conversation later that you won't enjoy," the Colonel said to Peggy.

"Please tell us he's alive, Sir. B-A-R-"

"I can spell." Phillips stayed quiet before standing up holding a pile of letters.

"I've signed more of these condolence letters today than I would care to count," Colonel Philips spoke up. "But... The name does sound familiar. I'm sorry."

"What about the others?" Lucy asked keeping herself strong and held together. "Are you planning a rescue mission?"

"Yeah, it's called winning the war," the Colonel answered sarcastically.

"But if you know where they are, why not-"

"They're thirty miles behind the lines. Through some of the most heavily fortified territory in Europe. We'd lose more men than we'd save. I don't expect you to understand that because you're a chorus girl."

"I'm an Agent and trained assassin, Sir. I think I understand just fine."

"But not an Agent who fought in war. Understand it somewhere else." The Colonel began to walk away. "If I read the posters correctly, you two have got someplace to be in thirty minutes."

"Yes, Sir. We do." Lucy took her jacket from Peggy and walked away, following Steve. Lucy walked into the tent Steve went to. He was packing a bag and had put cargo pants on over his costume.

"What do you plan to do, walk to Austria?" She asked as Peggy walked in.

"If that's what it takes."

"Well if you go, I'm going with you." Lucy grabbed a pair of cargo pants quickly pulling them on.

"You heard the Colonel," Peggy said. "Your friend is most likely dead."

"You don't know that," Steve said putting a leather jacket on.

"Even so, he's devising a strategy, it takes time." Steve walked out of the tent, Lucy and Peggy following behind. Steve placed the bag, shield, and one of the performers helmets in the back of a Jeep.

"By the time he's done that, it could be too late," Steve said.

"Steve."

"You told me you thought I was meant for more than this. Did you mean that?"

"Every word."

"Then you gotta let us go."

Lucy smirked as she thought of an idea, "I have a better way of getting there than using a jeep."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

126K 3.5K 54
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...
369K 22.1K 79
Y/N L/N is an enigma. Winner of the Ascension Project, a secret project designed by the JFU to forge the best forwards in the world. Someone who is...
583K 21.2K 96
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...
776K 17.5K 46
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.