26. Will The Circle Be Unbroken?

Lucy was laying on her stomach across the couch as she look at a holo-pad Tony had given her to do work. But her definition of work was emailing Sam and Sharon, not having spoken to them since July. Her attention constantly went from the screen in front of her to the night sky outside. Having excelled in not just chemistry and mechanics, but astronomy, Lucy wished so much for the lights of New York to be shut off for one night allowing the stars to peak through the darkness like lighthouses in the sky. Steve made his way into the room stopping to observe the woman in thought. He listened to the tapping of her fingers not from pressing the letters on the screen, but in a musical matter. Steve couldn't put a name to the song until Lucy began humming it. The Captain found the words forming upon his lips, but now sound came from his mouth. He remembered it being the Christian hymn "Will the Circle Be Unbroken." The pair would always either listen to Bucky strum the chords on an acoustic or Lucy would sing along with the guitar, their version always sounding more sincere than it was supposed to. Lucy's words came out in a whisper.

"Will the circle be unbroken

By and by, by and by?

Is a better home awaiting

In the sky, in the sky?

In the joyus days of childhood

Oft they told of wondrous love

Pointed to the dying Savior

Now they dwell with him above."

Steve slowly walked over, not wanting to scare her for suddenly being present, but humming the chorus as well. Lucy felt his hand gently touch the small of her back causing her to sit up and moving her outstretched legs allowing him to have a seat. She cuddled up into his side trying to keep close to him for warmth.

Steve chuckled and hugged her, holding her close, "Gosh, you're cold." Lucy looked into his eyes.

"And you're warm, so it's a win-win," she replied giving him a kiss on his chin. He let out a low laugh.

"I think you missed." Lucy smirked as she gave him a quick peck on the lips causing him to pout and her to laugh before agreeing to a full kiss. Tony walked into the room at that moment and began making gagging noises causing the two to pull away.

"That's called a couch, you two," he spoke. "It's where you sit and watch something called TV, not lip-locking." Lucy rolled her eyes as she rested her head on Steve's shoulder moving her gaze to the holo-pad. "Where's Keener?" Lucy looked up at Tony, her eyebrows knit together in confusion before realizing what he was asking, her eyes looking back to the email she was writing.

"In his room," was all that came out of her mouth. "Don't ask if he's asleep or not because I don't know. Why?"

"Brucie Boy went to bed and I need help." The scientist stopped and thought for a second. "Unless you'd like to help, Lu?"

"Not when I don't know what you're working on. And besides, I was going to head to bed after I finish writing this." Tony sighed sounding a little disappointed.

"Then maybe Rogers wouldn't mind helping me?" Lucy looked from Tony to Steve as they had a silent staring contest. Steve didn't show any emotion on his face and raised an eyebrow.

"You know I don't know a thing about mechanics," the Captain spoke.

"Oh, no. You can just hold the tools." Steve didn't reply in any way as Tony gave him a sly smile. Lucy sighed and stood up.

"You know, I love you both, truly I do," she began saying, "But you need to learn to get along."

"Actually I wanted to talk with him anyways, so Rogers if you would please follow me, that would be great." Steve stood from the couch as Tony began walking away. He turned to Lucy who gave him a smile before pushing him toward the direction Tony walked off in.