The Healing Ranch

By sammys2020

(Book 1 of the Healing Series)Tate Simmons is running from a bad past trying to forget everything that haunts... More

Authors Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Epilogue
Second book in series.

Chapter 16

2K 87 2
By sammys2020

The next few days passed quickly for Megan. Things started looking better than they had before and she was finally finding peace with what had happened to her dad. She knew deep down that he was better off in heaven then down here, but she did miss him bitterly. Part of what helped her was watching Tate and Cole interact. She liked having Cole around, as he was fun and happy, and most of all he brought out a playful, happy side of Tate she had never seen before. And then there was her and Tate. They hadn't spoke of the kiss that had happened a few nights ago, but they smiled a lot more at each other and seemed to find small ways to brush against each other when they were together. Tate often came in from working and squeezed her shoulder, or gave her an innocent peck on the top of her head. She found herself waiting to see him again when he was outside and getting giddy whenever he was around.

"Well I guess that's the last of my stuff. I sure do appreciate you lettin me stay here." Cole straitened up from where he was bent over the bunkhouse bed, slinging his duffel bag over his shoulder and smiling at Megan.

"I loved having you here. You can't imagine how much you helped us out and Tate seemed so much happier with you here." She said as she led the way out the door. She had come over to the bunkhouse to see if Cole needed anything, as Tate had rode out to check some fence in the home pasture. Cole wasn't set to leave for a few more hours and Tate had wanted to get the fence done quick before he left.

"Speaking of Tate, why don't we sit down and have a proper conversation without him. I'd like to talk to you about him." Cole said, mysteriously. Megan frowned a little wondering why he wanted to talk about Tate, but agreed. She maneuvered onto the porch and watched as Cole slung his bag into the truck and then made his way back over to her.

"Why do you want to talk about Tate?" She questioned, as he settled himself down on the porch swing beside her chair. He turned to look at her and she felt like squirming under his direct gaze.

"Well I get the feelin there's somethin going on between the two of you." She blushed and shook her head.

"I wouldn't say that." He smirked at her before shaking his head.

"Don't think you can pull the wool over my eyes. I see the little kisses he gives you, the way you seem to always be bumpin into each other. Tate's never been like that with a girl before and I'm glad it's with you. You are a special person Megan." She blushed even more and ducked her head, not knowing what to say.

"So is this you giving your blessing for what is happening or something else?" She laughed a little at the look he gave her, raising one eyebrow.

"That's up to you to decide." It was quiet for a long moment as they sat looking out over the ranch. Finally, he turned to talk to her again. "You're a smart girl Megan."

"Thank you?" He ignored the slight sarcasm in her voice and continued on.

"You've gotta have noticed that Tate has somethin botherin him. Somethin that follows him around and haunts him. Somethin that's taken his faith away. Somethin that prevents him from goin home to see his momma." She looked at him curiously now.

"I have. He hasn't said much about it but I have noticed that he doesn't think much of God. Mind you, I didn't think you did either." Cole chuckled a little and shook his head.

"Growin up where I did ma'am? God is the most important thing in our lives. Tate still knows that, he just has to come to terms with what happened before he can accept Him in his life again."

"Well what happened?" Megan's curiosity got the best of her but Cole just shook his head.

"It ain't my place to say. He'll tell you if he feels the need to talk. And I think he will."

"Then why are you telling me this? What are you trying to say?" Cole sighed and turned nack to face the ranch.

"I'm tryin to say that Tate is a difficult man. Always has been and I'm sure he always will be, unless you can change that." He winked at her but then turned serious again and continued on. "He's had somethin real bad happen to him and he blames himself. Now the only reason I'm tellin you this is because I think you can help him. There's a time comin where he's gonna have to face what happened 5 years ago. He can't run forever. When that time comes he's gonna push you as far away as he can. Just give him time, give him space, and whatever you do don't give up on him. He's gonna want to run. It's what he does. Don't let him." They sat for a long moment as Megan tried to process what she had been told.

"What makes you think I can do that?" She finally said softly. He didn't look at her but as she watched him he smiled a slow smile.

"Because you are just like his momma. A strong, independent, gorgeous woman. She was the only one he ever listened to but now he listens to you too. And whether y'all know it or not I can see the somethin special y'all got goin on." He nodded his head as he thought. "Yup. Megan you're the girl for that stubborn, bullheaded man and you are gonna work wonders on his heart." With that he stood up and brushed off his pants.

"You're just gonna dump that on me and leave?" He grinned playfully.

"Yup. But if it makes you feel any better, I'll do your chores for you."

*****

Tate and Cole were making their way into town to pick up food for supper. Megan hadn't felt like cooking and to say goodbye to Cole, they had decided to pick up food from the cafe in town. Cole was set to leave right after supper.

"I'll miss you buddy. It sure was great to see you again." Tate looked over at Cole, wishing his friend could stay forever.

"I'll miss you too. But it will be good to get home after this last rodeo. This circuits been a killer. It'll be good to see good ol' Texas too." Tate didn't say anything, but clenched his jaw a little at his friend's well aimed words.

"So you've been doin well on the rodeo circuit?" Tate changed the subject and Cole went along with it but at the next possible chance he jumped right back to the sore subject.

"Come home Tate. Come back and bring that girl with you. She needs to get away and you need to come home."

"Cole. Leave it alone alright?"

"C'mon man. You can't run forever. You know that."

"Cole. I said leave it alright?" Tate raised his voice, and clenched his hand around the steering wheel. Cole said nothing else, just shook his head a bit. After they had picked up burgers from the cafe and were on their way back home, Cole started again.

"You like that girl don't you?"

"Who Megan?" Tate's anger had simmered down now and he glanced at his friend, regretting the way he had snapped at him. He would never admit it though.

"No the other one. Elizabeth." Cole rolled his eyes. "'Course I meant Megan you idiot." Tate just snorted and shook his head at his friend's sarcasm.

"Yeah I guess I do." He scratched his head, thinking of the kiss they had shared, and of the feelings he suddenly felt towards his employer.

"Well don't mess it up okay?" That took him off guard and hurt him a little.

"What do you mean?" Cole read the look in his eyes and sighed.

"I ain't tryin to hurt you Tate. It's just.. It's just that both of you care for each other and I know you well. I don't want you to try to run on her." Tate went silent for a long minute and stared out the window, thinking of his friend's words.

"You know I can't promise that Cole." He said quietly.

"I know buddy. But just try your best. She's what you need. She's a good girl and she needs a good man. You can be that man but first you gotta let her heal that hurt inside you." With those words echoing in their minds, they drove in silence back to the ranch.

****

Supper was a light, happy occasion and Megan found herself laughing way more than she had in the past few months. Tate and Cole were in fine form, teasing each other and winking at Megan when the other pretended to be offended. Finally after prolonging the moment as long as they could, Cole stood up.

"I guess I gotta move on out. Thanks again for your hospitality Megan. I'm very glad to have gotten the chance to meet you." They moved out onto the porch before she replied. She found herself suddenly tearful at the thought of this happy, upbeat cowboy leaving them.

"You are very welcome Cole. Welcome back anytime. I loved having you around." He grinned at her and then unexpectedly stooped to give her a quick hug.

"I will miss you Megan. Come see me sometime."

"I'll miss you too." She hugged him back tightly before he stepped away and turned to Tate.

"It was good to see you bud." She watched as they silently embraced tightly, two brothers not knowing when they would see each other again.

"Thanks so much for stoppin by. I needed to see you again." Tate said softly as they pulled away.

"You bet. I needed to see you too. Remember what I said Tate. Come home. Texas misses you." With those last words, Cole walked towards his truck, hopped in and drove away, waving the whole time. Tate and Megan stood watching him drive off. Eventually, after he was long gone, Megan sighed.

"Come in Tate. I'll make you some coffee." He glanced at her but looked quickly away again.

"I'm sorry Megs. Not tonight." He turned and made his way over to the bunkhouse and she could see the sadness weighing him down. She wished she could run after him and hug him and love him, but instead she was stuck in her wheelchair, not able to move anywhere quickly.

"Tate please. Don't go off on you own right now." Her low voice stopped him and he turned back.

"Megan I'm okay. Cole just said some stuff I need to think about alone. I promise I'll be okay darlin." She met him halfway and put her arms up. Crouching beside her, he allowed her to wrap her arms around his neck and hold him close.

"Is it about Texas?" He made a noncommittal noise in the back of his throat and she sighed. "I wish I could help you more Tate. But I just don't know what to do. I guess I can just say that I'm here for you and I care about you." She squeezed him close and then let him go.

"I thank you for that Megan, but I'll be okay. Just gonna miss my friend is all." With that he stooped again and gave her a sweet kiss on the lips, but before she could return it, he stood up and walked back to his bunkhouse. As she watched him go, tears formed in her eyes. Suddenly a horrible feeling washed over her and she was afraid that he really might go back to Texas and she would loose the only person left in her life.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

397K 16.1K 30
EDITED (will be rewritten soon. I feel it needs more adult scenes and seems childish in some parts.) {A cowboy's hands are as strong as steel as toug...
118K 4.1K 35
June Hazard grew up around bucking bulls her whole life. Her dating life is a lot less complicated than training and caring for over twenty of these...
197 22 22
The life of a young mother that struggled with juggling between raising a child and doing her studies. But with the help of the people around her she...
135K 5.3K 40
Lacey Anne Ferry grew up on a cattle ranch in Montana where riding horses was an everyday part of her life. She loved the horses, cattle, and the har...