The Choosing

By phoenixbird1313

The Town has already enforced and shoved the rules down everybody's throats. Evelyn Harley had always obeyed... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty

Chapter Eleven

54 7 4
By phoenixbird1313

I opened my eyes, a dull pain behind them. I was in the middle of a circle of people with Cade. What the hell just happened?

I looked around and it seemed nobody noticed my little space out. They were all chattering and quite honestly it was hurting my head. I could help but think there was something I needed to remember something important.

I tapped Cade on the shoulder, "Can we go somewhere-uh- quieter?"

Cade nodded and we walked over to a large weeping willow tree far away from the crowd.

"What's going on Eve? I know the meetings here can be a bit crazy." Cade said

"It's not that," I sighed

Something popped into my head. It was before I blanked out. I was sure they saw me fall. Why were they all pretending as if nothing happened?

"What is it shortie?" Cad pushed.

"Didn't you all see me fall? Didn't you guys see me blackout?"

"What do you mean shortie? You were standing there normally the whole time. Sure you stumbled a bit, but once we were sure you didn't fall everything went back to normal. I was rather sure you were even making suggestions on what we were going to do. Are you feeling okay?"

"Honestly, no," I answered, "Something is going on here and it's not just The Town."

Cade narrowed his eyes, "Are you suggesting that we have something to do with what's happening to you? That's really low even for you shortie. All we've done is try to help you! You know just because most of us grew up without dads and moms doesn't mean that we are awful people."

Listening to Cade's little rant I realized two things. The first one being I was kinda being annoying and the second one being that I could remember something faintly from the blackout about my mom.

It was her, but different. She looked the same but softer. She looked kinder, but also sad. I think she was sad because of me. But why? I'm fine. Or am I?

"Cade, that's not what I meant and I am super sorry, but I really need to see my mom right now. I think she might be able to help me with something and I only have so much time before I have to be back in The Town."

I looked at Cade hopefully and he sighed, "I'm sorry too, shortie. There's just so much happening. I'll keep the discussion going. Go see your mom and make sure you fill me in on what you find out. Deal?"

"Deal! Thank you, Cade."

Before I could even comprehend what I had done, I had pecked Cade on the lips. I pulled back with wide eyes. Cade adored a large smirk.

"I think I like when you're thanking me shortie. Maybe I should good things more often."

Before I could do anything else to embarrass myself I whipped around.

"Bye Cade!" I shouted, taking off to my mother.

Millions of thoughts consumed my mind. What was I going to say to her? What did I even need to ask? Why couldn't I remember what happened when I blacked out?

I groaned and slowed down a bit. I wanted to save my energy to get through the hole in the wall anyway. At this point, I didn't care if the guards saw me, but the hole was just hard to get through.

I kicked a nearby rock and sighed. Everything just felt like too much. I just felt so hopeless and out of control.

When I finally got to the hole everything was oddly quiet. Near the wall, there was usually a lot of noise. People talking, the guards marching and carrying noise from The Town. I looked up and wasn't able to see any guards in the tower.

Oh, well easier for me I thought. 

I walked closer to the hole in the wall. There seemed to be a person sitting against the wall. Maybe it was a guard? That's kind of an odd place for them to be though. I was rather sure there was a rule about their placement somewhere. Although to be quite honest the rules were getting fainter and more confusing to me every day.

As I got closer I could make out something written on the wall as well. The lettering was still too small to see through. It appeared to be dripping though.

I walked closer, the man was dead. His intestines were spewed on the ground.

I ran to him and checked his pulse. Nothing. I checked his breathing. Also nothing. A sob racked through my body. The man was just a few years older than me and now he was gone. Dead. My eyes watered thinking of him never going home to his mother. Never laughing with his friends.

I stood up ready to go and tell somebody when I noticed what was written on the wall. My heart dropped into my feet.

They're coming for you Eve

The blood dripped down on the letters as if you remind me time was running out. I was even more scared to see what had happened on the other side of the wall.

I took a deep breath preparing myself and pushed myself through the hole.

It was a massacre. Men, women, and children laid dead on the ground.

I choked on my own saliva. Who could have done this?

The ground was painted red and I heard a few resonating screams. I wanted to break down in sobs. Kids I had known my entire life were dead. Kids I had played with, that I knew were good people were never going to do anything again.

But the sight in front of me was enough to make me control my emotions. A little girl running toward me screaming. She was covered in blood and looked terrified.

"Help me!" She screamed.

I jumped into action and ran to the girl and swept her up.

"Are you okay?" I asked worriedly.

"Yes, " she whispered, "but they are coming to hurt me. They hurt my mommy and daddy too."

"Are you hurt right now, kid?"

She shook her head vigorously as her eyes widened.

"Run!" she shouted.

I turned my head and saw three large people running toward us. That was enough to send me sprinting as fast as I could.

The girl screamed and cried as I ran. I knew I had to make it for her. All I needed to do was make it through the whole. They would go past it, that I knew. 

My heart was beating erratically and my lungs burned. I couldn't make it much longer. I started to slow. We were so close.

The girl screamed louder as I saw one of the people grab her arm. I was ready to stop and fight, but the girl landed a hard bite on the man's arm.

I nodded in respect before I pushed the girl through the hole. They were right behind us and she was my priority.

"Run!" I shouted and she took off.

I started to leap through the hole when I was roughly yanked back by a tall woman.

"Looks like we missed one boys," she said laughing.

I didn't waste time talked and sent a kick to her stomach. She doubled over in pain.

"Oh, that's it." the man said before gripping my arm.

I wrestled to get free and sent a hard punch to my left eye. I cringed and fell back. My captors laughed.

"We knocked her out good." they joked.

They thought I was knocked out. I took that to my advantage and shuffled my way closer and closer to the whole. As soon as I knew they had no attention on me I was going to run for it.

I opened my eyes a bit again and saw them crowded around the girl I kicked. I guess I got her a bit better than I thought. Now wasn't the time to admire my skill though.

I took a deep breath, here we go. I quickly flew up from the ground and ran. I heard the group yelling and running after me. I pushed myself through the hole as fast as I could. I was sure I got cut somewhere, but at this point, it didn't matter.

I stood up and began spotting again. I was running so fast I didn't even see Cade in front of me until I ran straight into him.

He caught me and sighed in seemingly relief.

"Thank God you're okay, Eve. Do you know how scared I was? I had a frantically crying little girl run into camp yelling about blood and a girl. I immediately knew the girl was you, so I ran to find you-"

I cut him off by breaking down in his arms. I couldn't stop the tears from flowing out. So many people were dead and there was nothing I could do about it.

Cade just held me for a while. Eventually, I pulled apart. I had to explain to him what had happened.

"Cade, there was so much blood," I said, "It was a massacre. People from The Town were just killing everybody. I don't know why, but it was terrible. These people chased me and the poor little girl. I had to push her through the hole and then they thought they knocked me out and I ran."

Cade looked at me concerned.

"Are you hurt?"

Is that all he got from all of what I just said?

"Cade, did you even hear me? People are dying and dead out there? We need to go and help!"

He sighed, "Shortie, I am worried about you first. We will worry about everybody else after when we have a plan," he said.

"But my parents and Alistair-"

"We will find them, but first we need to make sure you and the girl are okay."

I groaned. I knew Cade wasn't going to budge.

"Fine," I said, " I think I might have scraped my leg again."

He gave me a sad smile, "I know this is hard for you to do. Let's walk back to camp, get you looked at, and then we'll make a game plan, okay?"

I nodded and began to walk with him. I could walk very well so Cade began to support some of my weight.

"Things are going to be fine shortie, I promise. All we have to do is fight."

I must be bleeding out because for whatever reason I could remember my mother telling me to fight too. But not my mom. A different mom. I really needed to get my leg looked at.

________________________________________________________________________

Yay chapter 11! How's it going people? Thank you so much for reading my story! I love you al sososososososososososo soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much lol. Remeber to guilt me into upadting by voting and commenting! Thank you and byeee peeps!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 129 19
I never knew that betrayal would come my way...especially when it was my own blood who commited the crime. The person I love...the family I once knew...
246K 12K 44
Not everyone is born strong, Some are soft like the cotton candy clouds, like the first rays before dawn. Some are unaware of the dark thoughts and...
9.9K 737 33
Evelyn was always doing things to please her parents, even accepting full scholarship into Harvard to study Law just because that's what they wanted...
84.4K 5.7K 41
Third Book In My Emo Series (but you can read them in any order and it still makes sense) Kai. Kai was bullied big time. No one liked him. No one c...