Androphobia

By Fudgecakexox

an·​dro·​pho·​bia | \ ˌan-drə-ˈfō-bē-ə noun : an abnormal dread of men : repugnance to the male sex Thea is... More

ANDROPHOBIA
Introduction
Disclaimer
prologue
i. kitty cat
ii. stranger danger
iii. eyes like ice
iv. car ride
v. listen to mama
vi. sellotaped loyalty
vii. hot chocolate
viii. snow bunnies
ix. panic
x. two faces
xii. jealousy
xiii. her brother
xiv. gingerbread house
xv. feather touches
xvi. callous
xvii. hidden sins
xviii. nightmarish creature
xix. the beast's cave
xx. sweet on the tongue
xxi. mea culpa
xxii. rosy appearances
M.
xxiii. strip tennis
xxiv. shatter
xxv. as i am
xxvi. lovers and murderers
xxvii. dreamy night
xxviii. cloud walking
xxix. the right chemistry
xxx. soulmates
xxxi. puppet strings
xxxii. just once
.

xi. sticky situation

171K 5.6K 11.5K
By Fudgecakexox

Honey Whiskey - Nothing But Thieves

A/N: I just want to clarify that I don't have a specific update schedule. I try my best to update quickly, whether that be Thursday, Saturday or whenever. It all depends on when I'm free, so please don't leave messages on my board about not updating on time or taking too long. Thank you babies x

THEA'S POV:

I didn't know why it hurt to see them together, but it did. It burned.

Although I couldn't quite see the expression on Synn's face, I wasn't sure I wanted to. He was probably smitten by the girl, just like most men were. She was inexplicably beautiful with her sharply cut features and silky black hair rolling in waves down to her waist. Rumour was that you'd never see her in town without a different boy on her arm, and normally an older boy. It would make perfect sense for the handsome man to take after Blessing like the others.

But to my utter astonishment, he shoved her back.

She stumbled in her heeled boots. A gasp of outrage left her lips and murmurs from nearby girls followed suit. I gaped along with everyone else. How was it possible for him to reject the most stunning girl at school? He'd even pushed her! But despite how most people would have perceived the act as unrefined or callous, he couldn't seem to care less. In fact, he almost looked disgusted.

"What the fuck was that for?" Blessing yelled. "You don't just go and push a girl like tha-"

"And you don't touch me without my permission unless you want a case on your hands, ¿si?" he stated coldly, taking a step towards her.

[Yes?]

She couldn't help but flinch and retreat slightly before attempting to cover it up with a scoff. Even though she didn't necessarily deserve my pity, I still felt sorry for her being humiliated in front of her friends and the girls leaving the school building. But that sympathy soon vanished once she laid eyes on me, making me clutch my school bag tighter.

"What the fuck are you looking at?" she spat venomously. Despite her words, I found my eyes being drawn to the man towering over her.

Our gazes locked.

In the world of monochrome before me, his eyes stuck out like a pair of gems. Bright and hopeful. Cunning yet longing. His dark hair was slicked back but a few strands slipped over his eyes, daring to graze his fair and flawless skin. He looked different - or perhaps he looked more like himself. The haunting monster from that dark and dangerous night had long disappeared, leaving the beautiful Synn dressed in black before me. A part of my soul quivered.

I had the sudden urge to approach him but my nerves got the better of me and I inched away from the scene, squeezing the strap of my bag.

Before I could turn from them both, Synn was walking towards me: past the girls ogling him at the gate; past Blessing, whose face was still red with rage; past my best friend now approaching the bus stop. He stopped in front of me.

I stared up at him as his tongue darted out to wet his lips, almost out of nervousness.

Tongue piercing.

"Thea," he said.

His warm, baritone voice pulsed through me.

"Synn," I whispered as my cheeks grew warm. "Wh-Why are you here?"

His gaze was so intense, I could hardly hold it. I couldn't believe he was here, in front of my school on a day like this. He opened his mouth to speak, but was cut off by a whip of poison from behind him.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me."

Synn stilled. Hesitantly, I peeked behind him and found Blessing standing a few feet away, her face still glowing a hot red.

"I always knew there was something up with you," she scoffed. "So all those times you acted scared and were stuttering all over the place, that was just an act? Who knew you were such a freak, Thea?" Sweeping a hand through her hair, she glanced between the two of us. A cruel smirk spread across her mouth. "Although I definitely didn't take you for the type to be fucking older men."

"Blessing, that's not true!" I said.

"Oh really? Then who is he to you?"

"I- he's my..." I glanced back at Synn whose face was darkening by the second and struggled for an answer. "We're friends. He's my friend."

His jaw clenched.

Blessing took another step towards me, drawing dangerously close. "Don't lie to me. You may have deceived everyone else but you can't fool me," she sneered and my face tightened with hurt. "So everyone looks down on me and you get away with doing the same damn thing."

"What-What are you talking about?"

She narrowed her eyes. "You know what I'm talking about."

"I don't-"

Suddenly, her hand was against my shoulder and she was shoving me hard.

I stumbled. Stopped.

I would have fallen if it weren't for a hand resting on the small of my back, large palm facing upwards and fingers delicately grazing my spine. Sucking in a deep breath, I looked up. Synn's eyes were on fire. Cold blue flames danced a vigorous samba as he gently pushed me upwards. Even when he pulled away, I could feel the warmth of his hand lingering on my back.

He stepped in front of me. I was about to speak again, growing angrier and angrier by the accusations, but the man in front acted sooner.

All of a sudden, he grasped Blessing by the shoulder and spun her around; his back now faced the crowd, towering over the girl in front and blocking any eyes struggling to see past his frame. I watched in shock as his tattooed hand tightened around her shoulder until she winced. Her eyes flashed with terror. Synn wore no expression, his mouth set.

"I've always been taught to treat a woman with respect, no matter the crime, but I'll tell you this, little girl. I will not hesitate to snap your jaw if you open that filthy mouth one more time, y te romperé las manos si vuelves a tocar a mi chica," he murmured softly. "Do you want me to make a scene in front of all your friends? Hm?"

[And I'll break your hands if you touch my girl again.]

Blessing paled and even though she and I couldn't understand the latter half of his threat, it was enough to have us both frozen in place. She opened her mouth to say something else, then reluctantly shook her head. Synn's grip around her shoulder loosened. But before he released her fully, he leaned in and whispered something in the girl's ear which made her skin go from sickly to powder white.

Trembling, she stood there as Synn let go and approached me once more. I stared up at him with eyes of disbelief as chattering grew louder from the schoolgirls, and he nodded ahead.

The traumatised girl wasn't moving. I wanted to say something else but my face was already so hot from the attention it must have looked like someone had pressed a burning iron against it. And so I quietly followed the man to his car. He opened the door and I slipped inside. There were so many thoughts, so many feelings erupting inside me, I was only moments away from exploding!

He'd defended me.

Synn slid into the seat beside me and released a deep breath. He looked my way but I was too busy chewing my tattered lips.

"Don't do that."

"Hm?"

"Don't bite your lips like that," he said lowly. Raising my brows, I realised what I was doing and released the bruised petal from my teeth.

"It's just..." Cautiously, I glanced at him. "You didn't have to do that. Back there."

His rich indigo eyes gazed through me. There was something about his hair swept back that did things to my tummy the more we looked at each other, the earring dangling from his left ear, the rings on his hands as he gently drummed his index finger on the steering wheel. Slowly, he leaned back in the driver's seat.

"First, I want a rating."

"A rating?"

"Like we discussed," he repeated simply, softly. My memories drifted back to that night when he'd asked me to rate my fear of him on a scale out of a ten - something that was so stupid yet so endearing to me. I looked down at my palms and traced the lines.

"I-I think five."

Carefully, Synn nodded. There was no anger in his eyes, which I thought there would be, but rather a kind of acceptance; perhaps because it was no longer as high as it once was.

"I had to do that back there," he finally spoke. "She disrespected you."

I frowned. "But-But why? I mean, I know she was mean but I don't want to stop you from being friends with anyone and I-I don't want to hold you back either."

"Thea, I would never choose to be around a girl so desperate for a man's attention that she would resort to forcing herself upon them," he said, making my eyes widen. "And she had the nerve to touch you in front of me. To fucking push you." The car purred as he started the engine, jaw tensed. "Era como si estuviera pidiendo que la mataran."

[It's like she was asking to be killed.]

I picked under my nails nervously. "I'm sorry that she was so rude about you."

"Don't apologise." Synn pulled onto the road and drove past the school building; I thought I caught a glimpse of Ember's hair at the bus stop but we were gone too soon. "Has she ever done something like that before?"

"Like what?"

"Does she usually target you at school?"

I picked harder. "Um, no, not usually. Only sometimes."

The man nodded his head slowly, his fingers curling tighter around the wheel. Tension danced through his shoulders. The outline of his biceps through his suit only grew clearer, and then he muttered something that sounded like, "So she's always been a puta."

[Whore/bitch.]

"Puta?"

Synn looked startled. Then, ever so gradually, a smile broke through his exterior and he glanced down at his lap, a deep chuckle reverberating through his chest. "No, no, baby. That's not a good word," he told me and I frowned in response. "Don't say words like that, okay?"

"But you say words like that," I refuted.

"That's because I'm allowed to and you're not."

"That's silly!"

"Is it?"

"Why can you say certain words and I can't?"

His white teeth sunk into his lower lip and his eyes met mine, momentarily setting me alight. "Don't you want to be a good girl for me? Mm?"

The flames inside my body licked lower.

But then I remembered the way I had left him in the rain; our last argument; the hurt in his eyes.

"I don't think I'm very good," I mumbled.

"Why do you say that?" asked Synn, his brows furrowing.

I toyed with my fingers in my lap and tried to find the words, but I couldn't put them together.

"I'm just gonna rant for a second so, um, ignore me if I fumble with my words or-or say stupid things, okay?" I said and squeezed my eyes shut. Before he could reply, I was already talking again. "I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to leave you out in the rain an-and I was just scared- I'd never seen you angry like that before and I thought- I didn't know what I was thinking! You only wanted the best for me and I stepped all over that and- gosh, I hope you didn't get a cold. That was so mean of-"

"Okay, shh. Stop there for a moment, little baby."

The term of endearment had me holding my breath and I opened my eyes to find that Synn had stopped at a red light. He'd drawn closer in that brief moment, close enough for his enticing cologne to swim about me.

"Why do you worry for me and not let me worry about you?" he questioned deeply.

"It's because that bruise- it's not important. I didn't want you worrying when I've sorted it out and everything."

I shrunk into my shoulders. It was my problem to fix. Only mine.

"Was it wrong for me to worry when I saw your wrist?"

I pouted in thought. "N-No, but-"

"No buts," he interrupted, making me bite my lip. "I'm not saying that I reacted in the right way because I understand I stepped out of line. Perdóname. But what I don't regret is getting angry and worried because bruises, Thea, they do not belong on you. They do not belong on anyone as innocent or kindhearted as you. And I will get angry if I see another on your skin. Do you understand?"

[Forgive me.]

Tentatively, I nodded.

"My actions weren't right. I... scared you that night and I don't think I will ever be able to forget the look on your face because of what I did." Synn's voice grew raspier, emotion threatening to spill from his words and reveal more than he would have liked. He turned his eyes back to the road when the greenlight came and he loosened his tie from around his neck, making his chain swing. "But as long as you worry about me and if I'm cold or not, I will worry about you, and there is nothing that can change that."

A small smile clambered upon my lips. I'd never had a stranger care for me before.

But we weren't strangers anymore; we were friends.

"Thank you," I murmured.

Silently, the man drove and I watched him. His fingers curled around the stick shift and he settled it there, tattoos spreading across his skin like blood vessels stretched taut. There was a delicate beauty in the way he moved his hand. It seemed silly but the more I observed, the more I wished to slip my fingers through the gaps between his. To feel his calloused skin and trace the lines of his palms. To see whether his hands were warm or cold like mine.

But if I dared to do such a thing, not only would I freak myself out but surely Synn too.

What was I doing even thinking about such things? We were just friends... weren't we?

My chest felt achy. It was a similar feeling to that of when I was scared but I knew it was different somehow. Why did I feel this way? Being around Synn had made me realise that Mama's perception of men was slightly skewed and he was living evidence of that. He was perhaps the only man outside my family who I could have a normal conversation with, so why did my chest still feel heavy? Was this fear or something else?

"What's got you thinking so hard?" he rumbled.

"Um, don't worry about it. It's silly," I blushed and shook my head, looking down at my own hands instead.

"Even if you were speaking nonsense, I still wouldn't find it silly."

Nervously, I swallowed. "Um, you-you know when you're scared? Although, I can't really picture you being scared because you're a giant and you'd probably scare everyone else first. N-Not that it's a bad thing or anything! I think you're a very, um, friendly giant actually. I just- how does it feel to be scared?"

While I had been busy making a fool out of myself with my word-vomit, his pink, sensual lips had spread into something resembling an amused smile. He paused to process my question and I bit my lip. "I'd say most people experience fear the same way," he replied with a tilt of his head. Strands of ebony fell over his forehead. "Your heart beats faster, your palms get sweatier, your breathing gets heavier... ¿no es así?"

[Isn't it so?]

Nodding in agreement, I glanced uncertainly at his hand on the gearstick. "And," I said, my heart thudding faster and faster as I mustered the courage to speak again. "How does it feel to have a... crush on someone?"

He fell silent.

My eyes flickered upwards to make sense of the expression on his face, only to find a blank and cold stare. He looked as if he were gritting his teeth but I couldn't tell for sure because he was sitting so still, I could have mistaken him for something in an art gallery. He appeared sculpted by marble. Maybe I had said the wrong thing, I thought, but I couldn't figure out how the question would have offended him in any way.

"I'd say that your body would react in the same way," he eventually continued, but there was a strange edge to his voice.

His head nodded forward slightly.

"Do you... have a crush on someone?"

My heartbeat skyrocketed at the question and my face went beet red.

"No, no! That's not what I'm saying at all!" I denied but my fingernails betrayed me by making deep crescents in my palms. "I just wanted to know because I was interested. I've never really had a crush before so I- well, I was curious."

"Did you not have someone in mind when you asked the question?"

I couldn't possibly tell him that my question had been concerning him unless I wanted to humiliate myself in front of the man. I was still new to these emotions. While my bodily reactions were still the same around him, I couldn't deny that there was something different about my feelings: my heart would still beat faster; my palms would still get sweatier; and my breathing would definitely get heavier. But it still felt different.

But even if it were remotely possible that I... liked Synn, I knew he would never like me back. He was older, perhaps in his mid twenties, and much more beautiful than I was. And if I dared to ask for anything more, I would risk our friendship. My first ever friendship with a man.

I couldn't do that. I would simply treasure the moments between us as friends - and only friends.

"So you did have someone in mind," he stated coldly.

"I-I'm still trying to figure out my feelings, actually."

"Who is it?"

You.

"J-Just some boy," I rushed. Embarrassedly, I glanced at Synn and gave him a bashful smile. "A family friend or something."

I thought I saw him crack.

My palms grew clammier and I wiped them on my dress, hoping he couldn't tell how nervous I was. But even if he did, he didn't comment on it. He merely continued to steer with one hand, an emotion burning his eyes which I couldn't decipher. A part of me wanted to see him smile again - to see his pretty dimples - but I hushed my thoughts and puffed my cheeks out instead.

I hadn't realised that we had already reached my road before he was only a few houses away. "U-Um, do you mind parking here instead of in front of the house?" I suggested, not wanting to risk my mother seeing me getting out of a man's car again.

He nodded stiffly and did as I asked.

"Thank you so much for driving me home, Synn," I smiled shyly, unbuckling my seatbelt.

He said nothing. He kept staring ahead.

Tucking a piece of hair behind my ear, I gently opened the car door. He still didn't say anything as I stepped outside and I wondered if he was alright. He looked upset about something. In an attempt to cheer him up, I added, "Have a safe drive home!" whilst pulling my polkadot school bag over my shoulder. I waited for another moment, hoping that he would say something, but I realised that he wasn't about to and pulled away.

But before I could shut the door, he turned his head.

Deep blue pools of emotions bore into mine: pain, sadness, hurt, anger. They only appeared for a split second before they were shrouded with mist. I swallowed and stared back at him.

"You stay safe, Thea. No quiero verte lastimada otra vez."

[I don't want to see you hurt again.]

I nodded my head with a gentle smile, my heart squeezing with both joy and confusion at what I had seen in his eyes.

"Don't bite those lips."

Darn it.

"Yes, Synn," I sighed playfully, swaying side to side. I expected him to smile back at me but he merely nodded, his mouth still set in a straight line. As he continued to watch me, I shut the car door and instantly shivered. There had been no more snow since that night but clouds lingered in the sky like dark angels on podiums, observing me as I paced forward. Or perhaps it was Synn's eyes cruising over me while I made my way closer to home.

When I finally made it, I turned on my heel to find his car still parked along the road and I gave him an excited wave. Although he didn't return it, I thought I saw the corner of his lips tilt upwards. He nodded for me to go inside. My heart pounded. I unlocked the door and leapt inside before quickly pressing back on the wood to close it. A small sigh of content escaped me, a smile finding its way on my face again.

"I'm home!" I called out, unzipping my boots by the doorstep. There was no answer and I frowned.

I shuffled out of my coat while heading through the corridor and poked my head into Papa's office, only to find him conversing on the phone in what looked like a business meeting; I still hadn't gotten used to him working at home, ever since that incident. But it comforted me to see him.

Glancing up from his desk, Papa swivelled in his chair and smiled once he saw me. I grinned back and stepped closer, bending down when he signalled for him to kiss me on the cheek, his beard tickling my skin. I tried not to giggle when I wiped the kiss away. For a moment, he covered the speaker of his phone and whispered, "Mum's gone shopping."

"Oh," I nodded, realising why the house was so quiet.

Seeing that Papa was busy on the phone, I tiptoed out of his office and carried my school bag upstairs after hanging up my coat. I felt like a giddy toddler who would get excited over everything and when I reached my bedroom, I face planted onto my bed with a massive grin on my lips.

Was this really what it felt like to have a crush?

Ruffles jumped from her position, her head raising with surprise as she looked at me with wide eyes. Apologetically, I stroked her head and her eyes closed with satisfaction. But all the while, my mind was swirling with thoughts of Synn. I kicked my legs out wildly with a strange sort of laugh and rolled onto my back. An uncontrollable smile had conquered my face and it felt as if nothing could ever make it disappear.

But then an idea hit me and I scrambled up from my bed, pushing myself over to the window which had a clear view of the road in front of the house. My eyes zoned in on Synn's Ferrari still parked outside but my face fell when I saw him hunched over the hood of the car.

His head was hung low, concealing his face and whatever expression dwelled there. With his arms resting on the hood, his hands were curled tightly into fists and his shoulders looked taut and broad; he somehow managed to make the car look small with him hovering over the front, but then he pushed himself up and ran a hand through his hair.

His eyes looked furious.

All of a sudden, he slammed a fist down on the hood of his car, hard.

My jaw dropped at the sight through the window and I raised my hands to my mouth once I saw the dent he had made in the sheet of metal. It was massive. I didn't know it was humanly possible for a man to make such a large dent without a weapon but here he was, barehanded. And when he removed his fist, he raised it up to examine the damage. My eyes widened once I saw blood trickle down the side of his hand.

But just as soon as I had caught a glimpse of it, he had already lowered his fist to his side and swung the car door open. Slumping inside, he slammed the door shut and restarted the engine.

His car pulled onto the road in a matter of moments and I dropped back onto my bed, eyes still wide with shock. My cat stood up and stretched, her back arching before she started walking all over my lap. All I could do was absentmindedly stroke her fur while I chewed at my lip until it began to bleed. Licking it slowly, the tightness of worry returned to my chest as I mulled over what I just witnessed.

What on earth had made him so angry?

What on earth had... I done to make him so angry?

*****

Read 5+ chapters ahead on Patreon: patreon.com/Fudgecakexox

Hey fudglings!

JHSSHSKA I HAVE MIXED FEELINGS ON THIS CHAPTER BUT I THINK I DO LIKE IT

But what did you guys think? I loved how y'all were so quick to turn on Synn in the last chapter YOU WERE LIKE HE'S CANCELLED THERE'S NO HOPE FOR HIM. Like come on guys, give my baby a little more credit. He's literally basically in love with Thea already how can you doubt this guy? And I like his protective side it makes my heart content :)

Thoughts on the misunderstanding between them? IT FRUSTRATES MEEEE AND I'M THE AUTHOR. LIKE YOU BOTH LIKE EACH OTHER BUT YOU THINK THE OTHER PERSON LIKES SOMEONE ELSE. Poor Synn though because he was friend zoned a couple of chapters ago and now he thinks Thea has feelings for someone else ._, Opinions on Blessing? Thea and Synn? And Ruffles beby?

I had a really good day with one of my best friends today. We've known each other since I was like eight and we'd practically live at each other's houses while we grew up BUT THEN she decided to move AWAY FROM ME AND NOW I BARELY SEE HER TWICE A YEAR- it's okay though because we spent the whole day catching up, watched a movie at the cinema, went on the swings in the playground and danced about in the rain for a bit and it was fun c: I'm seeing her tomorrow as well hehe

Potato question of the day: Who is your favourite teacher?

Okay my favourite secondary school teacher had to be Mr Parkinson. I had the FATTEST crush on him during sixth form. He was basically my biology teacher and I somehow ended up really impressing him so I ended up as his favourite student 😎 he was such a good teacher I seriously considered studying biology at university because of him I CALL HIM PARKY POO (only behind his back though) HE JUST HAD SUCH A CALM AND RELAXED CONFIDENCE ABOUT HIM AND I WAS JUST LIKE HSJDKSJH EVERY LESSON. I also have this cool lecturer at uni now called Professor Sampson and he's so mean to his students but I love him anyway, like he called out so many students for sleeping in his lectures I would crawl into a hole if that happened to me

Anyway, thank you for putting up with my pointless rants and showing your love and support. I hope you enjoyed the chapter and if you did, please vote, comment and share this book with your friends! I love you all!

- Fudge x

P.S I'm addicted to these really good chocolate biscuits I need help

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 42 14
𝐀𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐚 𝐇𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐳 𝐌𝐚𝐲𝐛𝐞 𝐈 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝𝐧'𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐠𝐞, 𝐦𝐚𝐲𝐛𝐞 𝐈 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝'𝐯...
2.2M 69.2K 42
"I think you've already starved me enough, Amia, just one taste. I promise I won't bite." Marcello implored, his hands slipping gently between my thi...
571K 15.9K 29
One touch. One touch was enough for a tough mafia boss to fall in a love with the unknown girl. She was abused, he was abused. Two broken people tryi...
12.4K 427 23
A normal girl with a beautiful heart who never know what love is caught the eyes of a cruel mafia king... His single glance can make the world tremb...