How NOT to write a Vampire Di...

By polaroized

Ever wonder how to get started with a Vampire Diaries Fanfic? Having trouble with your OC? Need some face cla... More

summary
siblings
proper related face claims
proper age face claims
more face claims
more sibling face claims
even more face claim choices! (plus ideas)
overpowered OC's
a plot for your OC
correct characterization
a vampire's humanity switch
characters names and OC names
slowburns, fastburns, and sexual activity, oh my!
'changing' a bad guy
the vampire diaries vs true blood
covers
overused face claims
covens, packs, and what else
diaries everywhere
gilberts
titles and descriptions
hayley marshall
hope's twin
mikaelson love interests
new reading material
banshee's
creatures ideas part one
creatures ideas part two
ya'll need to give elena a break
i cant believe i forgot this
legacies fanfics so far
roasting legacies for its untapped potential
roasting legacies part 2. and season ideas
where did the legacies reactions go??
what no one wants to talk about
OC's around CC's
klaus vs kai
siphoners and heretics
salvatore siblings
adoption plot vs. adoption element
lets talk about soulmates
the truth about rippers
a not-so self insert fic
thank you Anna!!!
fuck off with the scoobies
new legacies story!
AU's, to do or not to do
legacies, we could've had it all

racial diversity

1.5K 47 67
By polaroized

I remember receiving a comment (I believe it was in this book) about how maybe the author of a TVD fanfiction goes with a face claim they might see themselves as.

When I read it, I thought "Well, I doubt it, I'd rather be one of them than be in the fanfiction as myself." But then I stopped and thought about it, perhaps they meant that authors chose those face claims because they also want to be like them (physically in this case). Don't get me wrong, if one day I went to sleep and woke up as Thomas Doherty or Sofia Carson I'd be pretty okay with it.

And that's fine, if you want to pick someone you admire or want to be like or look like to be your face claim, that's all you.

But then I wanna ask, where are the people that admire Latinos? What about Black people? Or Asian? Or Native Americans? Or New Zealand?

I always have this little ritual when I find a random but possibly interesting fanfic (it doesnt necessarily have to be TVD related) where I see what else the author has written and by their choices of face claims (because half the time they have like 12 to 40 books maybe) you can see how diverse they can be.

Or when you see a cast list and there's barely any diversity there unless they decided to go early 2000's TV and have one black character or one Asian character because they have to fill a quota. Even The Vampire Diaries did it with Bonnie.

I distinctly remember commenting on one cast list where the only diverse character was played by Arden Cho, and I commented

"at least not everyone on this list is white"

yeah, I was very blunt, but I won't apologize for it.

The author replied, "not every story will have a diverse cast"

I replied with this:

"that's true, because it depends on the author."

If you're interested in what happened later on is that she apologized since she had written it so long ago and only really chose actors from shows she watched (and since most shows ten years ago were barely any diverse, i'm not surprised.) But we came to a respectful understanding pretty quickly.

But what I wrote will hopefully influence her in the future, because it's true. If your story isn't that diverse it's because of you. I'm not saying add one diverse character, because you'd be filling a quote, I'm saying explore more options before deciding on someone blonde or pale for your OC. I'm saying the OC could have ties to other races.

And do not comment "I just don't know how to write that type of character." What type of character? If you're talking about the racism that all those races face, the police brutality or the stereotypes they also face, that's a whole other topic. I'm talking about just including them as people first.

Who here ever read Percy Jackson and The Olympians? Or even just heard of it? (movie watchers are not permitted to comment)

Do you know how many diverse characters Rick Riordan wrote about in the abundance of all his books? I'm talking Native American, Black, Latino, Chinese-Canadian, Biracial, Muslim. And he explored them and their backstory, their families traditions, their languages, all of it, and guess what? He used kids and other children he taught when he was a social studies middle school teacher as inspiration for those characters. He wrote about gay, bisexual and trans characters too.

Forget JK, go read some Uncle Rick.

You're allowed to write about characters of different races. The rules are to do proper research, be careful with what you write, don't assume to know how to write everything after two episodes of Blackish or Fresh Off the Boat and an hour of research.

(but seriously, go watch those shows, especially Blackish)

So, I've been mentioning a bunch of other fandom stories, hell I mentioned a whole other fandom (PJO) and have barely given out any TVD ones, why is that? Could it be because there's barely any content with diverse OC's? Possibly.

My advice is to please go out there and start educating yourself on diversity.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.6K 1.4K 37
๐™Ž๐™ช๐™ฅ๐™š๐™ง๐™ฃ๐™–๐™ฉ๐™ช๐™ง๐™–๐™ก ๐™ฅ๐™๐™š๐™ฃ๐™ค๐™ข๐™š๐™ฃ๐™– ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฅ๐™š๐™ฃ๐™จ ๐™š๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง๐™ฎ๐™™๐™–๐™ฎ, ๐™ˆ๐™ฎ๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™ž๐™˜ ๐™๐™–๐™ก๐™ก๐™จ ๐™—๐™š๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ฃ๐™ค ๐™š๐™ญ๐™˜๐™š๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™ž๐™ค๐™ฃ. ๐™ˆ๐™–๐™ง๐™ž๐™š๐™ก...
16.3K 869 16
*BOOK TWO OF THE 'TIL SERIES* read Dusk til Dawn before reading this book Klaus and Briana's love story has been one full of ups and downs since the...
13.1K 796 12
The new season will show us a world without Audrey Mikaelson and all the chaos that goes along with it. How does Hope deal with her grief? What chan...
24.4K 722 27
"Running is easy when you've been doing it most of your life. It becomes less of a thrill and more of a necessity. I got too comfortable hiding out i...