The Healer

By MISSCESANIA

Liliana West is a Healer from Sandovia. She was living her life peacefully until the son of a High Lord asked... More

The Day Everything Changed
Chapter 1: Chasing West
Chapter 2: Setting the Kindle
Chapter 3: The Start of Something New
Chapter 4: Comfortable
Chapter 5: A Knight and A Snake
Chapter 6: Hubris Prince
Chapter 7: Bearing The Weight
Chapter 8: Company
Chapter 9: Ambush
Chapter 10: That Escalated Quickly
Chapter 11: Officially Branded
Chapter 12: Day One Conflict
Chapter 13: Visitor
Chapter 14: Day Out
Chapter 15: Pay What You Owe
Chapter 16: The Warning
Chapter 17: I Trust You
Chapter 18: A Good Idea?
Chapter 19: Didn't See That Coming
Chapter 20: The Unexpected Guest
Chapter 22: Stand up Against
Chapter 23: Sealed
Chapter 24: Duchess of Araenon
Chapter 25 : Surprisingly, Tea Helps
Chapter 26 : Shattered Pieces of The Past
Chapter 27 : Unexpected Pair-Up
Chapter 28 : To Protect
Chapter 29 : The Infiltration (Part I)
Chapter 30 : The Infiltration (Part II)
Chapter 31 : Hesitation
Chapter 32 : Long Live the Duchess
Chapter 33 : Home
Chapter 34 : Clear
Chapter 35 : The Promise
Chapter 36 : A Specter from The Past
Chapter 37 : The Pirate King
Chapter 38 : Truth
Chapter 39 : Judgement
Chapter 40 : Near the Coast
Chapter 41 : Attack
Chapter 42 : Right on Time
Chapter 43: Sacrifice
Chapter 44: The Beginning of an End
Chapter 45: Fated

Chapter 21: Comfortable

1.5K 102 1
By MISSCESANIA

EMERICH SARDON is everything I remembered. His smile could never hide the distaste in his eyes. He sat right across of me. His eyes went to Exene's hand on mine and I can feel Exene's hand tightening. His way of showing that he's there and that he intends to keep his promise.

"Emerich Sardon wants Araenon to be a trade route. He'll deliver goods directly from Sandovia to Araenon." The King announced. Emerich Sardon leaned on his seat.

"And as the Duke of Araenon, I refuse," Exene interjected.

"Exene—" before the King could finish his sentence, the Queen's gentle hand lay atop the King's arm.

"Dear, surely you can have your business meeting later at your office. Right now, it's about Exene and Liliana's engagement," The Queen turned to Emerich Sardon. "I am sure you are famished from your long journey. Please, grant us this honor to dine with you."

Emerich Sardon let out his smile. "The honor is mine, Your Majesty."

The Queen managed a small smile before the maids started serving the food.

Despite the number of delicious foods served, I couldn't bring myself to eat. Muriel has been asking me questions to get me to talk. Pierce also tried talking to me, which, on normal occasions, I would have gladly obliged but right now, I am too nervous to speak. I didn't realize how much Emerich Sardon caused horror in my life.

Just when I was about to reach the tea, Exene leaned and whispered on my ear,

"You are showing him exactly what he wants to see. He is nothing, Liliana. You are a Duchess now. He's just the son of a High Lord who hasn't earned his title yet. You have nothing to be afraid of."

"Thanks for the reminder but how do you expect me to react seeing the man who wanted to marry by force now in front of me? I'm not afraid now. I'm pissed because I have no idea what he's up to." I whispered back.

"Guess we'll figure out later." He leaned back in his seat. I eyed Emerich Sardon who still has a smile plastered on his face.

"I haven't said my congratulations to the Duke and his bride."

Everyone fell silent. "I guess I will have my chance later." And Emerich Sardon stared at Exene and the latter didn't back down. I doubted no one noticed the tension between them. Thankfully, Pierce called Emerich Sardon's attention. Nakahinga ako ng maluwag. The only problem now is how long is this man going to stay here and how am I going to handle him. 

* * * 

As if having dinner with Emerich Sardon wasn't bad enough. I was told that he'd be staying in the Palace as a guest. I am not sure how to react. The Palace is big enough so I won't be seeing him often. I don't know what I would do if I see him and if he does something wrong. I don't care if he's a High Lord's son or whatever. 

A knock on my door brought me back from my reverie. Iniluwa doon si Exene. I nodded permitting him to enter. 

"You okay?" panimula niya. 

I shrugged. "I am. Why?" 

"I came here to apologize. I didn't tell father about him when I should have." 

"It's okay,"

"No, Lily. It's not okay. It's all because I want to solve the problem myself. I don't want my Father to get involved. It's my city. I should solve it myself."

I suddenly remembered what his mom said. That he's always been so independent. I stood up and faced him.

"You might feel like it's all your responsibility Exene but don't forget to look behind. You will realize that there a lot of people who will be there who got your back. You are not alone. And it's always okay to ask for help."

His eyes softened. Very different from the eyes I saw earlier at the dining table.

His smile reached his eyes. "You know, for someone who likes to talk back to me before, you sure know how to use your words."

"I can still talk back to you now."

He chuckled. "Well, yeah,"

I held both his shoulders. "And if you ask me for help, I would not hesitate run to you. Your Generals would do the same."

"Save those vows for the wedding, Wife."

"Shut up," I said and pushed him away lightly.

Talking to him like this is a bit new. Before, whenever we open our mouths, puro bangayan ang nangyayari. 

"I am sorry to drag you into this." He said, his voice apologetic.

Kung tutuusin, this marriage would benefit me more than him. He doesn't have any reason to fake marry me now. This marriage would label me as his wife and that will keep me safe from Emerich Sardon's hands.

"No, Exene. This is the least I could do. You have no reason to marry me now yet you still pushed this for my sake. Well, you already told everybody you're marrying me, so you decided to push for the marriage but I know there's more than that. I know I am the one being hunted by Apollo's men. And all this is to protect me. If there's someone who needs to apologize here, ako iyon. I am sorry for bringing trouble into your city." 

He gave a small laugh. "I invited you to my home. I appointed you as my house's official healer. It was all my choice. You brought trouble with you, I was fully aware of that. But it was my choice to let you in. Don't blame yourself." 

For a moment there, I feel at ease. 

"You know at first, I thought you're an asshole." 

"Geez, thanks," he said and I laughed. I can't remember when was the last time I laughed heartily like that. 

He fixed his coat. "I still have a  meeting with my Dad. I should get going before we consummate our marriage even before getting married--" hindi na niya natapos ang nais niyang sabihin nang batuhin ko siya ng unan. He just laughed. 

"Get out before I throw this whole bed to your face." I said dahilan para mas tumawa siya. 

"Good night, Liliana," he said before he went out of my room. And I couldn't hide the smile on my face. 

* * *

VOTE AND COMMENT! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3M 153K 81
Flare Fyche Henessy is her name. Living an adventurous life across the four continents of Elysian Empire. She's a daredevil, blunt, and feisty woman...
74.3K 3.1K 27
Most impressive rank: #1 police Most impressive rank: #1 tragic Most impressive rank: #4 time travel -- She is just a police woman doing her job with...
25.6K 1.3K 42
For some reason, Ciara, the goddess of Death left the Abadon or known as the lower realm and went up into the Mortal realm. She was hoping for a new...
1.9K 235 28
Title: Sweet Treats Author: katanascytheslash29 Genre: Scifi, Mystery/Thriller, Action Things are getting bittersweet as the time flies. A parasite...