Whipping Girl

By ZorroDeSombra

Being mated to an alpha werewolf who's also an assassin has its perks. Likely death, surely wasn't one of the... More

Chapter 1: Caught
Chapter 2: The Lie
Chapter 3: Death?
Chapter 4: Peas in a Pod
Chapter 5: The red string
Chapter 6- Another Alpha, another assassin.
Chapter 7: Brought to the Spotlight
Chapter 8: Scratching through Graves
Chapter 9: Unbelievable
Chapter 10: A Bang
Chapter 11: Spilling Over
Chapter 12: Blooming Spring
Chapter 13: A Spark in the Tunnel
Chapter 14: A Rainbow & Bright
Chapter 15: Know Your
Chapter 16: Red Handed
Chapter 17: Bump
Chapter 18: Timing
Chapter 19: If it Wasn't True
Chapter 20: Voices in the Dark
Chapter 21: Never Another Like This
Chapter 23: Looming Silence
Chapter 24: Blank and Bold
Chapter 25: If Roses grew any Slower, the Thorns would be all that's Left
Chapter 26: A Solemn Breath
Chapter 27: It's Cold Down Here
Chapter 28: Contemplation & Danger
Chapter 29: A Snake Under a Rock still Strikes
Chapter 30: A Rock Under the Roots
Chapter 31: No Aim, but All Ambition
Chapter 32: Woolen
Chapter 33: A Pendulum Swings
Chapter 34: If it is Bright

Chapter 22: Forked Tongue

57 0 0
By ZorroDeSombra

I could feel the strong yawn begging to release as I ran along the edge of our territory alone. Running in my wolf form just in case. I don't know why it was thought to be a good idea, but to my own surprise I agreed without complaint as Xiang suggested it. Embarrassingly caught off guard by the gentle touch of his hand against my waist as he had spoken earlier this morning. 

I couldn't tell how I felt though, with the touch and the soft green aura that for a moment flashed against him like the eyes of a prey animal accepting its fate. I dare not even speak the meaning of it or mention it, hoping no one else noticed. Worse I touched his wrist as soon as the colors washed over him. 

It ruined my morning. Something like that happening so nonchalant. Like lightening striking with no storm in sight.

My paws press against the mud near the water. The memory unable to leave no matter how fast I moved. The soft skin fighting the glare contradicting everything around him. 

How could he feel that so soon?  With such intensity. 

If I could run. Maybe I would. Mates didn't need to feel that way. Especially toward someone like me. 

The growl escaped my lips before I could stop it. The thoughts never leaving. Cold air filled my lungs as soon as I calmed my voice, but my ears turned rightward alert. Sounds of mud sticking to shoes stepping my way. 

An ever familiar voice speaking. 

"No one ever said it'd look as beautiful as spring leaves. Couldn't control yourself Yeona?"

I raise my lip so my teeth bare out as I snarl his way. 

"Don't speak my name like you know me. I'm tired of your games."  My arms shake but I ignore them. A pant sneaks out giving off a much nicer appearance to him. The sharp jab in my chest much harder to push aside.

Each muscle in his arm ripples in tension as his eyes glow my way. The dragon were again. 

It really was stupid of me to go alone. He could kill me in an instant, but they didn't know how much he had been tracking me. I told no one. I don't know why. Really I did... but I dare not admit that either. Feelings are far better kept inside if they show your neck, as they say. 

He laughs, but doesn't make a move. 

I step back. 

"I won't let you run this time." He says.

I get ready to attack.

"You know that's a bad idea."

"I don't care."

He sighs. I can see a small grimace show on his face. I step back once more.

"Don't" He threatens. 

My chest is beating violently. The omega pull rips through me and stops me from even being able to make an open attacking stance. There's no way. I look into his eyes and his scar. So much strength. So shielded.  His eyes reflected back at me as if they were my own. If my scars could show, would they be as distracting as his? 

I take a deep breath and give in. 

"Why won't you leave me alone?" I ask as I shift out of my wolf form. Folding my arms over each other defensively. 

He nods to the right. Then finally walks my way. His hand outstretched in a welcome manner.  His words coming out whisper quiet, but firm. 

"I want to take you and make you free, with me."  

I want to laugh at his repetition. Does it really make things true? 

I rebut, "That doesn't sound like freedom."

"Says the woman who accepts her mate without a second thought." 

My nails dig into my skin. Though my composure stays cool. It was more the sudden small smile on his face that irked me than his comment. He knew better.

"You're half werewolf too, you should know how this works." I remind him. Holding back a glare. His hair blows lightly with the wind but the heat around us doesn't come down at all. It's almost sweltering. Making his threatening pose and the fear crawling against my skin all the more obvious to any on looker. If we weren't alone. 

His smile grows slight, but stays improper and out of place.

He states, "See the problem is, I don't care."

"That's the dragon in you." 

"No, that's me," he snaps, "what about you? What do you actually want?" 

I think about it. Looking away from him for just a moment. Up instead, at the pale bland sky of Terra. Lacking the richness of my homeland. My eyes fall back on him, my feet press into the weak soft ground. Cold and weightless. Yet filled with something in its own way. Kind of like Xiang and that touch. I didn't realize I spoke until it came out. My answer. 

"What I have.

The heat gets worse. His hand grips against my arm before I can move back. Though honestly I wasn't going to. No- I wanted to remember the difference. 

The weredragon states, "Give me time and I will change that." 

I touch his hand. It's stiffness. Surprisingly the omega pull has calmed in that little give in. A way it hasn't done in so long since I've been around. My whole life has been fighting, but now I just gave in for a little spec of time to embrace this memory. 

He smiles a full smile now. This was what he was looking for. Truly no harm in his eyes even if his words implied otherwise. As a person he was not nearly as threatening as Xiang. Yet, as what he couldn't escape...

I slap at his hand. 

"You can't change fate." I push.

He continues that smile, his grip not ceasing, "That's what everyone says... but we both know that's not always true. Fate itself is ever changing." 

"Only to a fool," I counter, "it takes far more comprehension than either of our stubborn minds to understand."

The pull slowly creeps back, weighing me down. Daring me still. My chest already feeling heavy once more. Only then does his grip loosen, but not let go. As if maybe he could detect what dangerous terrain we were treading. 

His words soften too.

"If I agree with you, will you at least try to get to know me?" He asks. 

I sigh, "Don't patronize me." 

He sighs too. 

"I will never do it again." He states. 

Such surety. I close my eyes and try not to remember, but the sensation of his hand still against my skin keeps me from being able to keep them closed any longer than another passing of wind, just brushing more heat against my face. I shoot him another glare. 

In my peripheral I can see the land behind him, where his hand is attempting to gravitate any steps toward. If I would move. Past this territory. Still Terra, still soft ground and gentle sky. Life so weak and scattered. I wasn't the only one who could see it. I pull my arm from his grip, but he still wont let go. My eyes shift to glancing back, back at the territory line I needed to protect. 

The fighting will never cease.  

"What's your name?" I whisper. 

"Elias Yuen." He says. Finally letting go of me. I step back and turn to staring at him once more. Wishing I could hide the feelings flooding me right now. My heart dropping to the pit of my stomach. That stupid nagging. 

Don't think about it.

I growl, "Stop trying to take what isn't yours," then command, "and if we happen upon each other again, which I know you will ensure... we may converse." 

I don't want to admit every reason on why I decided to do this. To allow this. Why I've been doing any of this.  Though the heat in my chest, the tumbling of rocks sensation that is building up in my insides about to explode, gives away at least some of it. 

Still it's my life and even if Elias doesn't think so, I do make my own choices. All of them. Good or bad.

Elias almost seeming to read my face again, brings his hand out once more outstretched. 

He jokes "Good choice."

I shake my head no.

He quickly bends his arm up, using the hand to flick at the top of my face. Gentle but still annoying. I focus on his scar.

"I'm not as terrifying as magic allows me to be."  He says.

His words like a blade to my chest. 

I stand still, waiting for him to leave. Though I can't help but reveal my feelings as well. Simmering at my tongue. 

"We'll see, Elias."

Hi Guys! I hope you're enjoying Chapter 22!  Chapter 23 is already in the works and alot more!! Sorry about the slow updates! >.<

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

129K 2.1K 29
(**Violence in some parts**) Abused physically and mentally. Diana takes it all for her sister Emma, the only blood related person she has left. She...
56 4 11
If your cup of tea is a nice slow-burn enemies-to-lovers dark romance, then this might just be for you. - One Princess. Two Alpha brothers. Three ki...
1.1K 145 7
Nathan has lived a familiarly normal life, if you call being abandoned on an orphanage front steps as a fifth birthday present, but Nathan was lucky...
112K 5.4K 55
After a wolf is killed in defense of a shaky alliance, a life-debt binds Kiera to a new pack and forces her to leave her home to fill the empty space...