The Cair Royals

By The_Unwavering_Truth

'Whence seated 4 Kings and Queens upon the Thrones of Cair, May an Unlawful Relationship Arise. May Power be... More

Cast
Meet the British Monarchs
Potions Should Exist in the Real World
What True Journalism Is About
Palace Life, Dull? Ha!
A+ for Effort (and a Friendly Hangout)
This isn't Medieval Fantasy
Hogworth Presses His Advantage
A Questio- Interrogation
Parallelism of Fine Dining and Fast Food
Unnecessary Information About Apples
Even a Rebellion Doesn't Stop Friendly Teasing
If Only This Was a Book
A Change in Focus
#justiceformickey
Potter Marathons are Greater than Royal Balls
Amendment 8, Section 17
A Prison Scrap
Not a Half Bad Birthday
Senile Old Coots Have Wisdom Too
Technical Difficulties?
The Equilateral Burden of a Broken Hand and Princess Lessons
As Queens Should
Indecisiveness is a Communicable Affliction
A Tornado Truth
The Most Controversial Wedding Kiss Ever
When In Doubt, Always Ask Susan
Desflurane in The Dorchester
An Expensive Floral Dress is Ruined
"I will cause law and merciful justice to be executed in all our judgements-"
It Was Over.
A Pretty Heavy Topic, Indeed
There's Prying Eyes Everywhere.
The Hindrance of Healing
The Absence of an Ice Cream Van
The Expectations of Monarchs
No 'Buts' but Freezing Butts.
The Palatial Anarchy for Canine Love
One Royal Wedding At A Time, Jeez
No Mollycoddling On New Year's
No Suits in Camden
News of A Truly Magnificent Affair
An Innovative Way of Handling Hangovers
Apparently Family Time Mattered?
Mismatched Socks and Untraditional Weddings
Headlines
Epilogue

Bluebloods' Prejudice Towards Denim

131 6 32
By The_Unwavering_Truth

Sanya didn't even talk to the intercom this time, she simply pushed on the Gate- which surprisingly swung open at her force.

The Pevensie family really should lock their gates.

"Ms. Reza, a pleasure to see you again." Mr. Turner spoke, just as a new fear cropped up in the young woman's mind.

What if she was thrown out of England?

A silly thought, she would reflect later, but it was rather unnerving right then.

"Do wait here, ma'am." The Butler stopped in front of an ornately carved doorway, which looked like it could contain Sanya's entire apartment.

She had no wish at all to go in, so she obeyed and stood there- till a minute later when Mr. Turner came out again and informed her that the Kings and Queens requested her presence inside.

"Miss Sanya Reza?" The blond male- Peter- spoke as she headed towards the four, elegantly carved armchairs where the Monarchs were sitting.

Avoiding looking at anyone else, she nodded.

"How OLD are you?" Susan asked, analysing the girl's features and realising that she must be fresh out of University.

"22." She replied, swallowing. Would they get to the point already?

"And already a journalist at the Sun?" Edmund spoke, eyebrow raised at the quiet woman. "Quite impressive."

She was about to say how it was supposed to be an unpaid internship, but someone had died and they needed help and she was the most qualified, so they hired her- that it was nothing impressive and nothing to say in that tone- but she didn't. Instead, she said, again not looking at anyone, "Why did your Majesties call me to the Palace again?"

"The matter of the interview you had with our Head Chef." Lucy valiantly broached the topic. "The published article wasn't very flattering."

"Or at all flattering-" Peter started to say when the redhead Chef walked in and he was silenced as she shouted, not quite noticing the Monarchs in the chairs.

"You seemed half decent! But you turned out to be just a BITCH! I WAS HONEST WITH YOU-"

Sanya's fraying nerves snapped. "I DIDN'T EVEN WRITE IT! DON'T BLOW UP AT ME!"

Edmund opened his mouth to speak, but Lilith started shouting again.

"HOW COULD YOU NOT HAVE WRITTEN IT? YOU TOOK THE INTERVIEW-"

"WELL, THOSE BLOODY ARSES DECIDED A 'NEWBIE' WASN'T QUALIFIED ENOUGH TO-" The journalist stopped abruptly, realising how indecorous and how stupid they both were being. What was the point of shouting?

It was as Sanya stopped arguing that Lilith noticed the four taken aback and slightly amused Pevensies and she felt deep mortification.

Curtseying, she said, "I apologise, your Majes-"

"They didn't let you write your article?" Edmund cut her off before Peter could say it was alright.

Sanya shook her head, unsure if it was her the young King was addressing. "No, they didn't."

"Even though it was you who travelled here and you who conducted the interview? Just because you're a new addition to the staff?" He asked, mentally bristling at the injustice of it all.

"That's right." The Indian nodded and decided to elaborate, even if it meant selling out her boss. "Apparently Mr. Hogworth- my boss- had second thoughts on putting a 'newbie' on such a big article."

"You'd have written better than whatever trash this is, I'm sure." Susan gestured to the newspaper.

"Is it out already?" She asked, not having had the change to peruse the newspaper that day. "Your Majesty?"

"Yes, it is." Lucy nodded and handed the paper to Sanya, who took it and read it lightning fast.

She turned to Lilith. "Lisa Cartwell IS a bitch, but apparently a terrible writer too. I can point out half a dozen grammatical and punctuation errors in the first two paragraphs alone. How this even got published, I'll never know."

Susan resisted the impulse to roll her eyes. "It doesn't matter. Ms. Reza, the fact of the matter is, that we can't have such bad publicity right now, especially a month before my sister's coronation. I'm being quite frank with you when I say that either convince your superiors to retract the article or we'll have to use force."

"As you should." Sanya crossed her arms before dropping them, in case it was considered illegal by them. "They would deserve whatever you're giving them."

"'They' means the Sun, which includes you, you know, since you work there too." Lilith told her pointedly, still a little mistrustful of her. "You could lose your job."

"I'll take care of that." Edmund said coolly, already mentally drafting the letter he would begin on soon. "Not to worry, Ms. Reza, you won't be out of a job."

"We could always use a Groundskeeper, though, in case." Lucy said jestingly.

Sanya wanted to say something funny and smart, related to Hagrid or something, but could only nod. "Thank you, your Majesties."

"It should be us apologising." Edmund spoke before his elder siblings could get a word in. "We should have never summoned you here without the appropriate information about the case."

He then glared pointedly but subtly at his siblings.

Peter nodded. "I agree with my brother, it was not very prudent on our part. Would you like to join us for dinner and perhaps a nightcap? It's almost evening already."

"If you've a car, we can have someone park it in our garage." Susan added kindly, now feeling sorry for her coldness.

"No, I don't have a car." She could just about pay bills, cars were not a luxury she could afford right then.

"How did you come here then?" Lilith asked, realising that it WAS evening and she should be heading to the Kitchens soon.

"Train."

"Oh, THAT'S why you were late." Lucy nodded understandingly. "Well, all the more reason for you to stay. We can't allow you to leave as it's getting late- and especially not in this weather."

On cue the thunder roared and shook the castle and most of them jumped- and Lilith had to admit that the High King jumping off his chair because of the loud thunder was a sight she would always cherish.

"You can come change, if you want." Lilith told Sanya once the so-called fearless Monarchs had recovered from the thunder.

"You live here?" Both Sanya and the High King asked at once.

Lilith sent the blond a rather confused look before looking pointedly at Sanya, "I do. Most of the staff higher up do." She added, glancing back to the King once more.
What she'd been told of him was right, he REALLY needed to get out more- or in more, seeing as it was his house, or more palace...

"I suppose I wouldn't mind." Sanya accepted the invitation, looking down at her formal work-wear. "Nothing too fancy?"

Lilith gave her an amused look, "You say that like I own any of that. We'll find something."

"We can have Mr. Turner fetch you when the meal's ready?" The brunet king suggested, rather relieved their guests were now speaking to, and not shouting at, one another.

"You'll be okay to show Sanya to the Staff Quarters?" Susan added, looking to her Head Chef.

"Sure, sure. Oh, and I'll stop by the Kitchens and let them know the plans have changed, shall I?" She added, not quite over the story of the last time Cair had had guests and NO ONE had announced so to the kitchen staff, who had to accordingly make a lot of last minute, panicked adjustments.

"You can take the evening off!" Lucy pointed happily, which the redhead couldn't help replying to with an amused smile before taking Sanya's hand and leading her out before either of them had a chance to say- or do- anything that could get them into trouble.

"This place is enormous." Sanya spoke softly as she and Lilith moved through the Halls towards where she assumed the Staff Quarters were.

"Very Hogwarts-ian, isn't it, fellow Potterhead?" The redhead asked, glancing to the younger woman.

"Yeah, of course- how did you know?" She asked, wondering if she had something written on her which screamed 'HARRY POTTER SUPER MEGA FAN' or something.

"Snitch necklace." Lilith gestured to her neck. "It's pretty. Does it open?"

"Sadly, no." She shook her head, and then turned in the direction the Chef moved in. "Which house are you?"

"Gryffindor, where-"

"Dwell the brave at heart, their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart." Sanya finished her sentence, smiling widely for the first time in a bit. "So am I."

"Then- oh, we're here." Lilith looked critically up and down Sanya's body, who felt awkward and uncomfortable. "Let's see if I have looser dresses."

"Can't I wear jeans and some top of yours?" She asked- thinking she should be grateful for not being told to wear a whole gown to the dinner.

Lilith tsk'ed at her, now rummaging in her wardrobe. "This isn't some family who lives next to your house that you'll just stroll up to, this is the Royal Family-"

"Do blue bloods have something against denim?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"It was Mr. Hogworth, your boss, wasn't it?" Edmund spoke, for once the one to start conversation.

"Hm?" Sanya swallowed what she was eating quickly. "Yes. How come?"

"Just wondering." Was the only reply she got before the brunet turned back to his plate.

Susan's eyes flickered to her younger brother, pondering whether to tell the young journalist of the letter her brother had already written. She decided against it.

"So, why journalism?" The Queen decided to query, looking to her guest.

What was it with human beings and talking? Sanya sighed inwardly as she started to speak.

"Well, I've always wanted to write, since I was a child. But being an author wasn't very realistic, unfortunately, which I rele-realised when I was a teenager, so I decided on journalism." She shrugged, mentally making a note to tell Lilith how delicious the food was. "It has writt-writing and includes dissection of social matters, and I'm passionate about stuff- topics like that."

"Lu likes her writing." Peter spoke, glancing down the table to where the youngest nodded, "Perhaps you could give her some pointers?"

"Oh, that'd be great!" The to-be-Queen nodded in agreement. "Would you? I've started a book and- well, it's not amazing right now but I do have plans for it! I'd love some tips? Oh, maybe we could even write some together!"

"I would love to." Sanya smiled politely at the younger woman- who knew Queen Lucy was a budding writer?- neglecting to mention that she was a terrible teacher- she played the fool too often. "I've written books too, but-" they're all fanfictions "they're not published."

She wished she could have eaten with Lilith, or alone- a dinner alone with a family of Royals in a palace was not a very stress free experience.

"You should try to get them published." Sanya turned in her seat slightly as she heard a familiar voice- Lilith's.

Maybe there WAS someone up there listening to prayers.

"I can't, technically."

"Where's Mary-Ann?" The youngest Queen queried, glancing round for their usual waiting-lady.

"I gave her the night off, girl deserves it. Plus, I wanted to check on my fellow Gryff, Royalty can be intimidating." She spoke, collecting the empty starter plates.

"Er- Gryff?" Peter asked, not making the connection. "Is it some code language?"

"Gryff as in Gryffindor, that Hogwarts house, right?" Edmund asked Sanya, leaning towards her a little.

She nodded, a little taken aback but pleased. "Yes. Exactly that."

"We aren't ALL that intimidating." Lucy frowned as the rest of the Chef's words sunk in. "I'm sweet."

"I'm scary." Peter attempted to joke but Susan scoffed at him.

"You're scared of dogs, even PUPPIES."

Sanya and Lilith let out identical noises of consternation at that, Edmund tried to reign in his laughter and Peter tried to defend himself, "I'm NOT scared, I just don't like dogs or pu-"

"Bad to worse." His younger brother said succinctly, and Peter stopped talking altogether.

"How are you all not fatter?" Sanya asked as she sat up, pushing her ice-cream bowl away. "I eat a lot too occasionally but this meal was enough for an entire week."

"I work out."

"Horse riding, rugby."

"Archery, swimming."

"I run, or I fence."

The Pevensies, also full of food and thus very mellow, answered one by one.

"I burn off all my calories from just moving from one corner of the castle to another. I used to work out, but time doesn't allow that anymore." Lilith had been told to remain there by King Peter, and she had indulged more in wine than food.

"Skinny twigs." Sanya sighed, leaning back- she had ALSO had some wine, much to her own surprise. She'd only drunk twice in her life. "The storm outside would blow you all away."

"Want to bet?" Lilith asked, eyes glinting in a challenging manner.

"No one is leaving the castle tonight." Susan ordered, the girls' topic of conversation sobering her up. "We best head for bed, then. Oh, Sanya, your chambers, I'll call so-"

"I can take her." The soberest of them all, Edmund stood up.

Peter and Lucy looked mystified as Edmund gestured to Sanya to come with him, and she- looking extremely confused herself- followed him out.

"Your room, I believe, it's close to my quarters in the West Wing.."

Ed's voice faded away and Peter spoke.

"Does he even know where her chambers are?"

Lucy shook her head, as Lilith struggled to keep her eyes open.

Susan was still looking at the door, not nearly as perturbed as her other two siblings. "We hadn't even ARRANGED a room for her- I was about to call one of the maids to set one up..."

--------------------------------

"So where ARE these chambers?" Sanya queried after a few minutes, it being quite clear what the King was about to say.

Edmund glanced to her as they walked, "Truth being, I've no idea. But I know there's plenty of spare rooms this way, so I was just wondering-"

"Any'll do." Sanya reassured him with an amused smile.

"Good." The King cleared his throat slightly, averting his eyes back to the corridor ahead of them.

"So, why did you offer to walk me if you didn't even know where to?"

"Thought you might fancy the company?"

"I'm more of an introvert." Sanya shrugged before adding quickly, remembering who he was, "Most of the time, anyway. Your company is an Honour, Your Majesty?"

Did the King just- laugh at her?

"Just Edmund's fine. And-" He tried a door at the end of the corridor, opening it for her. "I know this to have the best view."

His guest smiled, "Well, then, 'just Edmund', I guess I'll bid you good night." She spoke after a moment, deciding full well this was possibly the fanciest bedroom she'd ever been- or ever would be- in.

"Oh- uhm, yes. Well, good-night, Ms Reza."

"Sanya's fine, your M-just Edmund."

"I'll see you in the morning then, Sanya." He replied with a smile. "Someone will come fetch you around 7am for breakfast if that's okay?"

She decided commenting that that definitely WAS too early wasn't exactly appropriate.

"Of course." She replied with a smile before closing her door to spend her first night- at Cair Paravel!

-----------------------------------------------------------

"So, I'm just not sure where to go with it from there. Do I get Trissa and John together?"

Lilith took yet another sip of the wine (which she was sure a bottle would've cost a weeks' worth of even her Head Chef's wage), as she pondered the youngest Queen's plot issue.

"You know what I'd do?" She replied after a moment, leaning across the table slightly, doing her best not to slur.

"What?" Lucy replied, excited for an answer as she learnt forward also, closer to her plot saviour.

"Kill them all off."

The young Queen's eyes widened in horror before- "Oh! That could- that could actually work! Well, not ALL of them, but Trissa..."

"Right." Peter decided, having watched the conversation with interest before deciding that if Lilith had been sober, she probably wouldn't have been telling her employer to commit mass-fictional murder.

"Right what?" Both the redhead and Lucy frowned at him as he got to his feet.

"Bedtime." Susan agreed, getting to her feet also.

"I'm almost 21! You can't call it bedtime!" Lucy laughed, but she and the Head Chef got to their feet also.

"I can, and I shall." Susan replied to her sister with a smile as they turned to the door.

It was in that moment that Peter thanked his quick reflexes as he saw Lilith stumble.

"Don't behead me for being slightly tipsy." She spoke quickly, but held onto him for a moment, albeit his arm now around her waist, to steady herself.

"That's not something you've to worry yourself about." The High King spoke with a chuckle.

"Make sure she gets to the Kitchen Quarters safe." Susan ordered her brother before leaving, a clearly amused Lucy in her wake.

"I'm quite capable of making my way back myself, Your Majesty." Lilith told the High King, straightening up, sobering the best she could.

"How about I say I believe you but just happen to wander that way myself?"

"I can't help where a King wanders." She replied rather defeated with a small shrug, the alcohol allowing her eyes to meet his longer than they had the week previous. "Unless that's off the roof, I might have to intervene."

He gave her a slightly confused, yet amused look as he offered his arm. "Again, nothing something you should worry yourself about."

"That's good. Then again, England does have another King..."

"You're pushing your luck, Ms. Moore."

Lilith's eyes widened as she realised what she'd just said to the High King, and suddenly, bar the world spinning, she felt incredibly sober.

Yet, much to her relief, there was a smile accompanying his raised eyebrow.

"My apologies, Your Majesty." She replied, finally taking his arm.

"There's no need to apologise, it is fact, after all. And Peter will do just fine."

"Then as shall Lilith."

"I've never been down here."

"Never?"

"No." The blond replied, shaking his head slightly, suddenly feeling rather guilty as they reached the Staff Quarters.

"Oh, you should. We have a great time!"

"You do?"

Lilith laughed slightly but quietened her voice to tell him, "Absolutely not. Either everyone's over 50 or too young to dare have a laugh."

"That sounds rather dull." Peter admitted, glancing to the door ahead of them.

"Terribly. Anyway, I'll, uhm- bid you good night then?"

"So early? It is only 9."

"We've to be up at five." She replied with a shrug, "You really are quite clueless of the rest of the castle. No offence, of course."

"None taken. In fact, I-" But then he shook his head, "It doesn't matter, I'm sure we'll talk again. Well, goodnight, Lilith."

"I look forward to the time we do. Night, Peter." She replied with a smile, curtsying once more before the pair shared a confused yet amused look at her unnecessarily formal farewell and she slipped into her quarters, quite baffled at her own sudden social-blundering.

---------------------

Someone knocked at the door and Sanya jumped up, just waking up- oh, was she late for work?

Then she remembered that she couldn't give a fuck about work at that moment really, because she was in a palace.

A palace which apparently couldn't provide sleepwear so she had had to sleep in her underwear- but she couldn't very well open the door in it, could she?

The bathroom being her only hope, she stumbled in there and- AHA! A bathrobe.

Massaging her head, due to her usual early morning headache, she opened the door and-

Oh, she should have put the clothes of last evening on.

"Your- just Edmund!"

"Good morning." Edmund felt uncharacteristically chipper that grey morning. He did not like the fact. "I- did I interrupt a bath?"

Sanya shook her head, wide eyed and fully aware of her bedhead, her unwashed face and everything else. "No, I- I just woke up."

"Oh, my apologies." The young King gave a slight bow of his head and Sanya almost hit herself- curtseying. She was supposed to curtsey. "Would you prefer breakfast sent up here at a later hour?"

She would prefer death sent up here right then but she didn't say so.

"No, your Majesty, it's alright. I- I just need a moment to change and wash up."

"Of course, M- Sanya. And it's-"

"Just Edmund." She smiled at him- smiles took a huge effort in the mornings- before closing the door in his face.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

156K 3.2K 30
A Reader X Edmund Pevensie FanFic starting in the setting of the film Prince Caspian. This will be an ongoing series! I am open to suggestions and re...
20.2K 427 25
!!kinda slow burn!! 'do you ever feel like you're going crazy?' 'only the most sane people question their sanity' ·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩...
174K 5.7K 29
"Oh. Milady Ashton, are you going to the ball for King Peter." The young centaur shyly asked Ashton. Ashton crouched down next to her, meeting her ey...
159K 3.9K 28
F I L A N O L V L E E N »» FALLEN IN LOVE! - develop a deep romantic to someone. »» IN WHERE A GROUP OF CHILDREN GO THR...