Welcome to New York

By feverdreamhigh

โ› It's not that I don't believe in love, I'm a strong believer of it actually, I'm just deathly terrified tha... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four

Ten

397 23 5
By feverdreamhigh

•• Harry ••

We arrived at the cafe at exactly five forty-three. Max parked his car on the street, just like the other cars all lined up and parked in front of the boutiques.

When Max locked the car doors with the use of his key, we entered the cafe, and luckily Taylor and Selena weren't here yet.

Max and I found a vacant seat near the glass window and sat down. There were only four or five customers seated inside the cafe and there was only one customer in line waiting for his order.

While Max was busy checking his phone, I observed at the customer in line. He looks like he might be in his late fifties or early sixties perhaps, because his balding hair gives away his age. Behind the counter, I could see Henry grinding some coffee beans and preparing the man's order and he's also with Victor, another fellow barista.

Henry has the Saturday shift today because his work schedule is different from mine and Max's. His off is during on Sundays and Wednesdays, and that goes the same with Victor.

Henry poured the freshly made black coffee into a white paper cup and gave it to the man. The man thanked him and passed by us and exited the cafe with the steaming hot coffee in his hand.

When they fixed everything up and cleaned the counter, Henry spotted us and gave me a half grin. He approached our table with Victor trailing behind him.

"I see you got a new haircut." I told Victor, because I noticed his slightly long ashen brown hair is now neatly cut on the sides and he looks more professional, if I might add.

"Glad you noticed." Victor replied and pulled a hand through his hair.

"What are you doing here Harry? You don't usually come here at Saturdays, what's up?" Henry asked and I couldn't blame him for asking that question though.

"Just meeting up with a few friends. Nothing exciting." I told him nonchalantly as possible and the last part of my sentence was maybe a lie, I guess I'm excited about what's going to happen later.

"Friends? Do you mean the girls Max flirted with a day ago?"

"Yeah, they're the one." I replied to Henry and he tried to hide the smirk forming on his lips.

"What's with the smirk?"

"Nothing, just doubting if you're really not excited on meeting up with them. Especially blondie." Henry said, maybe even teased if I might add. And damn it, I had to refrain my lips from smiling like an idiot.

I dont know why, but I sometimes catch myself smiling unintentionally with the mention or even the thought of her.

"I know that smile, Harold. You're definitely and deeply in love with blondie."

I didn't even knew that Henry saw me preventing me from smiling.

"I'm told you once now I'm saying it twice, I'm not in love. Do I have to spell it out for you? I'm just intrigued, that's all." I told Henry, but the smirk plastered on his face still won't disappear and come off.

"Yeah, fine. Say what you want to say Harry, but let's just see how long you'll keep saying that." Henry said, almost saying it as if it's a challenge or a dare, perhaps.

"At least someone's in love." Vic said and he eyed Max from head to toe. Max seems like he hasn't heard a single word from our conversation since his eyes were still focused on his phone and a small smile forming on his lips.

"Max." I called and slightly tapped him on the shoulder, he finally took his gaze off from his phone and raised a brow.

"Hmm?"

"I told you." Vic said and a grin spreading on his face.

"Told him what?" Max asked and Vic and Henry tried to stop themselves from chuckling at Max.

"Oh, Max. You've really had been deeply in love, haven't you?" Henry teased and I glanced at Max and I swear I saw his cheeks tint into the slightest shade of pink.

"Fine, I'll admit it. I'm already in love, happy now?" Max said which made Vic and Henry's smile grow even wider.

"That's wonderful Max, I'm happy for you. And where's the lucky lady?" Vic asked and I'm glad they didn't mentioned my name again, I wasn't ready for too much teasing at the moment.

"She'll be arriving soon, or should I say they?" Max asked and I could feel his eyes landed on me and it was soon followed by Vic and Henry.

"So we're meeting two ladies at once? And the other one is the one who stole Harry's heart? That's amazing, isn't mate?" Vic asked Henry and Henry nodded his head reluctantly.

"For the record, she didn't stole my heart and I'm not in love. I just think she's a good friend to hang out with." I replied to Victor's statement but Vic and Henry just gave me a teasing look.

"Not in love, yet." Vic said and I tried my best to not roll my eyes at him for his reply.

"If you're really not in love Harry, then why were you smiling and giggling the whole time when you were texting Taylor?" Max asked with a triumphant smile added on his face like he just outsmarted a teacher or something.

"It's because she texted something which I thought was funny, no big deal." I told them nonchalantly and calmly as possible even though I could feel my heart beating a bit faster than usual when Max asked that question.

"I'm quite interested in meeting your ladies, they sound a whole lot of fun." Vic commented and he was absolutely right about the whole lot of fun part.

Just when Henry was about to make another remark, the door to the cafe chimed, making head turn around to see who came in, and I couldn't even imagine a better perfect timing than this.

Selena stood at the doorway of the cafe with Taylor right behind her. Selena was wearing a gray satin colored dress with matching colored stilettos which are about an inch or two high. While Taylor was wearing the dress we picked at the mall yesterday, and I don't know why it's possible but she looks even more gorgeous than I expected.

I wasn't going to doubt that she looks absolutely stunning, with the dress perfectly fitting her body, her sapphire like eyes glistening against the light, and her flawless red lips, God I just can't get enough of her.

I snapped out of my train of thoughts when I noticed how I was staring too much at Taylor, I pursed my lips to hide the embarrassment but I know Henry, Vic and even Max saw it. God, I'm not going to hear the end of this.

Selena's eyes wandered around the cafe until her gaze landed right on us. She beamed at us, smiling from ear to ear and merrily walked to where we are seated while Taylor trailing behind her giving us a gentle smile.

Once they've reached our table, Selena smiled at Max and I saw Max completely love struck at the way Selena smiled at him, like he was frozen and couldn't stop smiling dreamily at her. While Taylor just looked at her. friend who's completely in a haze and trying to hold a scoff.

Victor cleared his throat and finally the moment between Selena and Max was cut off, Selena blinked a few times and I could see her cheeks turn into a slightest shade of pink.

"Well, I'm Taylor, and this is my friend, Selena, who has made quite an impression." Taylor started introducing herself to Vic and Henry while I could see Selena blushing even more from embarrassment.

"Nice to meet you Taylor, I'm, Henry." Henry replied first and shook Taylor's hand then soon followed by Selena's.

"Hey Taylor and Selena, the name's Victor but call me Vic for short." Vic said and smiled at Taylor and Selena which they returned as well.

"Harry, you didn't told us that you and Taylor are having matching outfits. How sweet." Vic muttered only for me to hear, and I just noticed that I'm wearing a dark blue sweater, almost the same color as Taylor's dress. I honestly didn't thought about that.

"Well, we heard that you guys have plans so we won't keep you waiting. Go ahead and have a good time, but maybe not too much." Henry said which made me grin and the rest of us chuckle.

Max and I stood up from our seats and accompanied Taylor and Selena and started heading for the cafe doors.

"We look forward to seeing you guys soon. Have a great time!" Victor said before we exited the cafe, we both waved at them and we were finally off on the streets of New York.

Max and Selena were in front of Taylor and I. Max had his arm wrapped around Selena's waist, and so did Selena. As if they were afraid of getting separated from each other.

As for Taylor and I, we just kept things casually. We were close to each other, but not too close like the lovebirds in front of us. Taylor was at my right and our skin is just an inch or two away from touching, but nevertheless it doesn't seem to bother her. We kept our distance between us, just like what normal friends would do. I just kept my hands to myself, I really didn't have the courage to just suddenly wrap my arm around Taylor's waist. It would just be awkward between us.

"Where are we going to have dinner?" Selena asked, breaking the silence from our group and she looked at Max then soon followed by us.

"I know a nearby restaurant, and it's absolutely amazing. They have an eighties theme going on and their dishes are wonderful, you guys will love it." Max said cheerfully and the smile on his face just proves that he's proud that he's going to share and make us eat in his favorite restaurants.

I haven't got an idea of where Max is taking us, he never told me where or what's the name of the restaurant we're eating at, but I guess I'll have to trust Max on this one.

Selena and Max are already having a conversation of their own, while I just shoved my hands into the pockets of my jeans to keep them warm. I'm not going to lie, I felt a bit awkward between Taylor and I.

It's just because we didn't know who's going to start the conversation first, and we were just waiting on who's going to speak up first.

Oh God, I hope the atmosphere between us will change soon.

"I hope these lovebirds can still make it through the night without showing any PDA, cause they look like they're about to." Taylor said, lowering her voice a bit so Selena and Max wouldn't hear what she just said, but they seem to indulged in each other that they couldn't care less on what was going around them.

"They already can't keep their hands off from each other, what more if they have a little wine? God forbid Max from drinking any alcohol tonight, he's a light drinker." I replied and I heard Taylor laugh. Her sweet and contagious laugh, that could make any guy fall for just her it.

"I doubt we won't be drinking any wine at dinner though, but I hope they'll make it to the end. I don't want Selena to get drunk as well. God knows what she's capable of doing when she gets drunk." Taylor told me and slightly shook her head, probably reminiscing the old memories of when Selena got drunk, she probably experienced a lot of those.

"Alright, I guess no wine for dinner then?" I asked I turned to look at her.

"As much as possible." She replied and gave a grin.

We continued walking, just trailing behind Max and Selena as they have their own conversation. I thought about the promise I made for Taylor a few days ago, the promise that I'll help her tour around New York.

It may not seem obvious but I've actually been working on it. Bryce has a friend that manages and runs a small company that offers bus tours and also ferry rides as well.

Bryce gave me his friend's contact information and I've checked the prices for the tickets, and it's actually quite expensive. But I told myself that if it's for Taylor, then why not? Also, I made a promise, and promises aren't made to be broken in the end.

I've decided that I'll arrange and schedule the bus ride and tour around New York some other time, probably when I'm able to afford those tickets without having a pain in my wallet.

But Bryce assured me that he'll pull a few strings for me and said that he'll take care of it. I'm thankful for Bryce and his unconditional support but still, I'm not even sure if his friend would agree for a free tour around New York. So to be sure, I'll still arrange it, in the future.

"Hey, you look deep in thought. Mind sharing what you've been thinking?" Taylor asked, breaking my train of thoughts and making me focus on her.

"Nothing really, just a bit of family stuff that isn't really important." I partly lied.

Well, actually I've also been thinking about what Gemma had said to me earlier today. She's right though, I haven't came home in England in four years and my self conscience is actually been telling that I should pay them a visit. But I'm still uneasy to see my mum and dad again after what I've done to them a few years back.

"Oh come on, Family is always important. You can share your 'family stuff' if it doesn't bother you." Taylor said with a calm and soothing voice that almost makes the guilt I've been feeling vanish, almost.

Honestly, I've never really shared my family with anyone. My mates, like Max for example, knows that I'm a lad that's been raised from a town in England named Cheshire, that I have an older sister and my mum and dad have an open marriage relationship, that's all they know.

I've never told anyone what I did when I was still a reckless lad back in the day.

And I know I've only met Taylor for just a few days, but with her I feel like I can tell all of my problems and family issues that I have. It's like she can and would always have the time to listen to me, and give me comfort whenever she can.

I don't exactly know what kind of magic or sorcery that she has, but it's definitely working on me.

"Well, you don't mind listening to me, do you?" I asked her as I took a quick glance at Max and Selena and it seems like they're having a world of their own.

"Of course I don't, I always have the time to listen to someone if they want me to." She assured, just the reassurance I need right now.

"Well, you've probably guessed that I'm British and my hometown is in Cheshire, a small town in England. And when I was younger, I did a very reckless thing and that's actually the reason why I moved to New York." I said and she nodded her head in reply while looking at me, intently listening to what I'm saying.

"I haven't came home to England since that happened, four years has passed and I still haven't gone back home. And my sister called me earlier today and told me as usual that I should go back to England. But I'm still quite ashamed of what I did to them four years ago." I told her and she pursed her lips together, probably thinking of what's the best thing to reply.

After a few moments, she finally thought of her reply.

"Well, I personally think that you should at least go visit them. Whatever reckless thing you've done is in the past already and I'm sure your parents already forgave you. I mean, you're their son and they're proud to have you and you being away from them for years makes them feel sad. I bet they already miss you so much right now." Taylor replied with her sparkling eyes twinkling against the street lights, her eyes are saying that I should go home and reunite with my family.

And I don't know why but Taylor's words touched me deeply and right now she makes me think that my family misses me dearly, even though that's contrary to what I say to myself.

"Do you really think they miss me when what I did to them was horrible?" I asked her and she swiped her tongue on her bottom lip and slightly pursed them.

"Yeah, like I said, they're your son and they love you no matter what. But can I ask something?" Taylor said and I could feel my heart beating a bit faster as I can probably guess what she's about to ask.

"Sure, fire away." I replied, gesturing her to ask the question she's about to ask me.

"What did you do that made you move to New York and made you hesitant to go back to England?" She asked and I released a sigh.

I've never told anyone about what I did to my parents and Gemma, except for my ex-girlfriend though. She knew all about it, in fact she's a part of it.

"It's okay if you're not comfortable talking about it with me, it's fine. Don't pressure yourself about it." She suddenly said and I looked at her again with my green eyes piercing her blue ones.

I actually appreciated the fact that she was patient and didn't pressure me to answer her question. If it was one of my friends who asked me that, they'd probably annoy the shit out of me until I answer their question.

"No, it's alright. It's just I really don't tell people that much about my family. In fact, you're one of the very few people who knows about my family. I'm just not ready to talk about my past, you know?" I told her truthfully, and to be frank, talking to Taylor about my personal life is quite comforting. It's like I can talk to her for hours and never get tired of it, she knows what are the right words to say.

"I feel you, I know that feeling. And I guess we both have something in common, we both have something that happened in the past that we're not comfortable talking about." She replied with a slight smile, and I don't know if I'm hallucinating or not but I can see that her smile is a painful one. Something that'd happened to her must've really hurt her badly.

I was about to give her a reply when Max and Selena suddenly stopped in front of a restaurant, but it honestly looks more like a a diner to me. The wide glass windows showcase the retro vibe of the diner. I looked up to see the diner's name.

New York's Golden Diner is written with pink and blue neon lights, the letter k and d slightly flickering but nevertheless their name still stands out.

"Looks more like a diner to me." Taylor whispers to me and I nodded in agreement.

"Let's go in, shall we? I'm starving." Max said as he led the way to the entrance door.

"You're always starving." I muttered and somehow Taylor heard it and chuckled lightly, I turned to look at her and smiled at her laugh.

Max held the door for Selena as she entered the diner and opened the door for Taylor and I as well.

We got inside the diner, and the soles of my shoes stepped on the smooth checkered floors. I took in the ambience and surroundings of the place and there are red retro styled sofas and there's also black chairs as well with white square tables. There's a bar in the middle of the diner with red leather stools all perfectly lined up. And to complete the eighties vibe of the diner, there are different old posters and pictures from the eighties and old pictures back in the day.

I could also hear an eighties music playing in the background, although I know the lyrics and the melody of the song I don't really know what's it called.

Left me sleepin' in my bed. I was dreaming, but I should have been with you instead.

Selena took a seat nearby the window and Max followed her as well. Taylor and I followed them and I offered Taylor the seat near the window and she gladly accepted it. She took her seat and I did the same as well, in front of me is Max, who was grinning from ear to ear.

A waitress dressed in a red and white striped dress with a white apron came to our table and handed us their menus. I checked the meals they make and they mostly make clubhouse sandwiches and milkshakes and also some pasta.

After a few minutes of deciding of what to order, the three of them finally got their decisions.

"I'll have your classic clubhouse sandwich with some salad on the side and some of your fine red wine please." Max said to the waitress and she wrote down what he ordered on her pink notepad. So much for not having wine tonight.

"And I'll order your tuna sandwich with extra mayo please. And maybe with some wine too." Selena said. God, I hope these two could make it to the end without being too drunk.

"I'll have a grilled cheese sandwich." Taylor said while closing her menu and setting it aside.

"And I'll have a baked macaroni." I finally said and she scribbled it down.

"Will that be all?" She said in a somewhat monotone way and started collecting back the menus she handed us earlier.

"Yes, that'll be all. Thank you." Selena told her kindly and the waitress walked away, with her black glossy stilettos clicking against the floor with every step she takes.

"Taylor told me that you picked out the dress she's wearing right now, and I must say that you have excellent taste." Selena said and my gaze landed on her and I gave her a smile.

"Thank you, I've had my fair share of experiences." I replied and she chuckled softly back at me.

Before I knew Selena and Max were finally having their own conversation again, and I was left with Taylor once again.

I could hear Taylor humming to the song, humming the chorus of the song that I'm not sure of the name. Even if she's just humming the chorus, I could tell that she's got a wonderful voice inside her, and I couldn't exactly imagine what it'd sound like, but I'm sure it'll be wonderful.

But I could tell that she knows the song that's playing, she probably knows it by heart.

"Well, I've told you about my family, what about yours? Do you mind telling me?" I asked as I faced her, I didn't really mean to be rude and to interrupt her with her humming, but the words just casually came out from my lips, smooth like ice.

"No, I don't mind. My family is back at Nashville, and like you, I haven't seen them in a while." She replied with a slight shrug as stopped humming to the song and looked down at the white table.

"Really? Why haven't you visited them?" I asked and I know it seems hypocritical of me to ask that question when I, myself, haven't even visited my own, but I was just curious.

"It's not that I don't want to see them or anything, but I've just had some awful memories back in Nashville. As well as the old city I've lived in." She told me and I nodded my head to show her that I'm listening and interested in her topic.

"Awful memories too? I guess we're on the same page." I replied and that made her smile a bit, the corner of her red lips pulling together.

"But mine is just an awful incident. It just happened and that's the reason why I moved here in New York. To just get away from the memories I don't want to remember." She said and I honestly can relate to her so much, it's almost like I can feel to what's she's feeling.

"What was the city you've lived in before you moved to New York?"

"Colorado, I just stayed there for two years." She added.

"And how long have you been away from your parents?" I asked. I've been away from my mum and dad for four years now, and I haven't seen them in person since then.

"A little bit over two years."She said and added a small sigh at the end.

"Don't you miss them?"

"Of course I do, but I just haven't got the time and chance to visit them. But I've thought about visiting them." She said and what had happened back in Nashville and in Colorado must've really affected her that she's decided to move to New York.

"If you don't mind me asking, what was the incident that happened?" I asked and that's when her blue eyes finally met mine. She looked at me and pursed her lips together, almost looking quite nervous about the question I asked.

"It's just-"

"Here are your orders." The same waitress said, cutting Taylor off mid-sentence. She came back with a tray full of the meals we ordered, she placed every plate on the table and gave Max's wine.

"Orders completed, just give me a call when you lads need anything." She said and we all thanked her. She walked away again, leaving us alone with the food we've ordered.

"Let's dig in!" Max exclaimed and took a bite at his clubhouse sandwich and later taking a sip from his glass of wine.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.1K 2.2K 72
"Just give me one more chance, take my hand and I'll take you to Wonderland." Honestly, I did not choose to go to Canada, it wasn't really the first...
185K 7.3K 30
Larry AU where Harry works in a bakery that the cute boy with the blue eyes comes to everyday. Harry flirts with him the only way he knows how, leavi...
28.7K 1.9K 41
After moving on from their past, two people from different worlds slowly fall in love unexpectedly. Taylor, who used to lead an ordinary life in Penn...
9.7K 454 24
I've been spending the last eight months thinking all love ever does is break, and burn, and end...but on a Wednesday, in a cafรฉ, I watched it begin...