Dark Despair (Book 2: Togethe...

By queennightfurious

"We're training everyone to ride dragons." Drago is back and has allied with Grimmel. Sky is the alpha, she i... More

Trigger Warnings
Prologue
Denial
Forgiveness
The First Rescue
The Rescues
Alive
Reveals
Preparing for War
Setting sail
The Hidden World
War Cry
Love on the Battlefield
Grimmel and Drago
Worth it?
Aftermath of War
Fish makes us Understand
Dreamchaser
Soulmates
Toothless's Welcome
Memories
Defenders
Dragon Lady
Snoggletog
A/N #1
Delta
Magnar
Trillium
Captive
A/N #2
Too close
The Mist Disperses
Saving Mist
A/N #3
A/N #4
My life is CURSED
So close
Hiccup's Alive
And... He's back
Lessons and Setbacks
Seeing you again
Character guide

Chieftess

87 1 8
By queennightfurious

Delta's POV

"Dad?" I asked. I saw Skullcrusher rush down towards me since I was enjoying a peaceful night.

Skullcrusher landed in front of me, "I'm sorry." He said and bowed his head.

"What happened?"

"He wanted to attack Viggo so we did. He landed on the ship and was ambushed by his hunters. One hit him in the heart with an arrow. He's dead. I'm sorry."

"No. NO! N-OOO-OOO-OO-oooooooo!" I cried, my voice breaking. My dad. Gone. First Hiccup. Now him.

Then a horrible thought struck me, I'm the Chieftess. I can't be the Chieftess. I'm not ready and I have four children.

I was on my knees now with my head in my hands. Tears flooding my eyes. 

"Delta? Are you okay?" My mom called.

I turned and ran to my mom. Letting her hold me in her arms while I worked up the courage to tell her of her husband's death.

"He's dead, mom. He's dead. Dad's dead."

"No. He can't be." I saw the tears roll down my mother's cheeks. I felt a cool rage flood me.

I ran towards the edge of the rock and leaped, shifting midair. I flew. Following the fading scent of Skullcrusher towards the ship.

Eventually, I found it. Filled with arrows, blood, and scorch marks.

I dropped onto the deck of the ship. Right behind the steering wheel. The remaining men faced me. I shifted.

"My name is Delta Magnhild Haddock," I began and drew my sword. "I am the daughter of Stoick the Vast. And I've come for revenge, for you killed my father."

I was about to charge when I saw a man turn around at the front of the ship, "Now, Delta. I wouldn't have come here if I were you." He took off his hood and white hair gleamed in the sunlight.

"Y-you killed him." I stuttered in shock, then icy rage flooded my veins. "YOU KILLED HIM!" I shouted and his eyes widened. "You killed my brother. And now I've come to avenge them both."

I shifted and rolled out of the way of the arrows. I flew straight at him. Grabbing my enemy in my claws and tearing away his bow with my teeth.

I threw him at a cliff and shifted. I held a knife to his throat when he woke up.

"Any last words, Fury Killer? Before I avenge every Night Fury and every Light Fury you killed. Before I avenge my brother and father. For the pain, you put me and my family through when you killed Hiccup."

"I'm not in the business of killing humans. But-" He seemed to be remembering something, "I ne'er killed that Fury. He was rescued by Thunderdrums."

I didn't want to trust him. I didn't want to hear another word from him. But I had to know if he was telling the truth, "How did you escape then?"

He smiled, "There was a tunnel that leads through the island I had left him before the Thunderdrums came."

"Liar," I hissed in his ear as I killed him and avenged those he wronged. I left my knife beside him and flew off.

Is it possible? Is Hiccup really alive? It's not he would've killed him then entered the cave.

Darkstar's POV

I heard Delta's cry and flew towards her as fast as I could.

I arrived at the top of the waterfall and found my mother-in-law crying.

"What's wrong?"

"Stoick's dead." I was shocked, Was that why Delta was crying? I looked around.

"Where is Delta?"

"She flew off."

"Da! Night meanie-butt! He's pushes me!" I turned and saw Nightengale and Night.

"Uh-uh!" 

"Uh-to!"

"Valka! Can you watch these two? I need to find Delta." I didn't wait for an answer before taking off.

I followed Delta's scent and was diving down when I ran into a black blur. We fell tangled together until the other dragon opened their wings and slowed us down enough to get untangled.

"Why does that always happen to me?" Delta muttered. "Oh! Hi. Ummmm... I got to get back to the hatchlings. You kn-"

I cut her off, "Delta, they're fine. You look worried and... Angry?"

"What...? I'm not angry... I'm... happy? Yes, I am very happy to see you."

I gave her a meaningful look. "OKAY! FINE! So, I'm angry. But, I don't want to talk about it!"

She flew off without waiting for me.

When I reached the Hidden World I found that Delta was human, an unusual occurrence now that she has four hatchlings. She and Valka were hugging each other while Night, Vera, Nightengale, and Blackmoon were trying to attack their mother.

"...said he was alive, mom. I don't know what to believe, though. What if he's really alive? What if he's out there? And where's Rowan? I haven't seen him for five days now and he was only going to Berk to grab something so he should've been back by now."

"I don't know, Delta. He could be alive or dead. I've prayed to the Gods every day, hoping, he was out there."

"Mom!" Vera whined, "Blackmoon poking me!" I landed behind our children and swept Vera onto my head, "Da!"

Our children turned around and started begging for me to pick them up, too.

I watched Delta sit on the ground beside her mom, "Darkstar." She said, "What if he's alive?"

I looked at her in confusion, "Who?"

She whispered a name she hadn't spoken since the day he died, "Hiccup."

The Next Morning

"...may the Valkeries sing your name in love and fury, so that we may hear it rise from the depths of Valhalla. For a great man has fallen, a Warrior, a Chieftan, a Father, a Friend." There was a silence after Delta finished, as the boat drifted farther away. We'd done the same thing for Hiccup. And Delta loosed her arrow. It flying straight and true towards the boat drifting away.

We watched as every Viking followed suit and the boat became engulfed in flames.

Delta spoke again, "Dad, I don't... Know how you do this. Hiccup might be alive, Grimmel told me he'd been taken away by Thunderdrums and I worry about Rowan. He's been gone, too long. What if he's been captured? I'm not sure if I'll be a good Chieftess, but you taught me something I'd never forget, you taught me to try even if I can't walk any farther, you taught me to try and I will. I'll try to be the best I can be even if I know I could never be as good as you. I'll miss you, dad. Everyone will. I love you." 

She let her tears fall. I saw Valka standing next to her smiling even though she cried. Our children didn't understand they simply wanted their mother's attention.

When we got back to the New Great Hall as it was called, the old healer lady, Gothi I think she was called, motioned Delta to step forward. Gobber followed her and as Gothi motioned towards some burnt wood and Delta nodded.

I didn't understand what was going on until after Gothi drew a mark with ash on Delta's forehead and Gobber, after looking at the mark, said, "The Chieftess has come home!"

She stood on the platform and seemed somewhat pale but looked out across the sea of people, standing tall, until she was bowled over by Nightengale.

A/N

Guys, super sorry. Really super sorry. I had a small writer's block and I couldn't at all figure out how to finish this chapter. 

You see I had about 700 words done before I got stuck and then realized that the plot seemed a bit weird so then I went back and fixed it and couldn't continue writing. So I took a break and then when I went back and looked at the chapter again it seemed daunting so I decided to push it to the side. And then I just felt like I needed to finish this chapter and when I looked back at it again today I suddenly was just able to start writing again and I finished the chapter.

SO, if you are confused with what happened in this chapter here's a summary.

Stoick died at the hands of Grimmel. Delta went and got revenge. Grimmel told Delta that Hiccup is alive. Delta yelled at her mate, Darkstar because she was confused and angry. There was a funeral for Stoick. Then Delta became Chieftess in the New Great Hall because Berkians aren't creative.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

169K 3.7K 34
The events in this book are set after HTTYD 2. Hiccup and Toothless have defeated Drago and become the rightful Alpha and Chief, and Berk has finally...
297K 7.3K 34
Hiccup, a boy living in the village Berk. Being a weakling yet the son of the chief. Y/n, a girl flying on her Night Fury. Loving to be free. Flying...
67.6K 1K 19
Part 1: Hiccup runs away with Toothless when Gobber announces that he will be killing the Monstrous Nightmare. Three years later, he flys back to Ber...
460K 6.7K 41
A story about Hiccup and Astrid on Berk. They are now 21. Takes place after httyd 2. This is my first story ever so please don't hate. Sorry if I hav...