Wings [Levi Daughter]

By Y_Allen

Levi made a lot of mistakes in his life, and he regretted nothing... but for one. Iris Reed wasn't a normal... More

Prologue
PART I
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
PART II
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
PART III
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenth-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
PART IV
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
NOTE!
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
PART V
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Epilogue
Thank you
CHRISTMAS SPECIAL [PART ONE]
CHRISTMAS SPECIAL [PART THREE]
NEW STORY: THE NOT SO DISASTROUS LIFE OF ASADA C!
ANNOUNCEMENT
MARVEL FANFIC
A Fragment of Time
A Fragment of Time [Part II]
A Fragment of Time [Part III]
A Fragment of Time: Goodbye
Iris Reed: Character Design
~ An Attack on Titan OVA: The Torturous Curse of Adolescence
Itterasshai
So Ist Es Immer

CHRISTMAS SPECIAL [PART TWO]

1.2K 38 6
By Y_Allen

PART TWO OF THREE OF MY CHRISTMAS SPECIAL FOR WINGS!

Part Three will follow shortly, but for now, enjoy!

_____________________

A CHANCE

Part Two

December 22nd

Iris woke up around seven in the morning. She yawned and stretched when she got up from bed, she then proceeded out of her room to greet her father, who she believed took the day off to look after her – the smell of pancakes and bacon caught her attention. Raising a brow at the odd homey aroma in the apartment, Iris went to investigate because Levi wasn't one for home-cooked meals made with a whole heart. When she got to the kitchen, she was greeted by the sight of a tall man with blond hair, he wore a shirt and a pair of jeans and as well a pink apron that had a messily painted words that said "Best Uncle!" with the "c" and "e" written backwards.

"Good morning, kiddo." Mike greeted with a small smile. "Hope you don't mind, but I made myself at home here... I thought since you're suspended... why don't we make the best of today." Mike placed the plate of bacon on the table and then poured a glass of milk for the child. "Dig in, there's enough for the whole complex –"

To his surprise Iris wrapped her arms around his waist. She buried her face on his clothes and her hold on him tightened. He was about to pat her head, just like before, until he heard a sob from the girl. Mike wrapped his arms around Iris and lets her cry, they didn't move until Iris finally stopped.

~*~

Levi sighed as he finished another report of an arrest he made yesterday. He just finished packing up the case files and finally have it placed in the archives room. He checked his wrist watch, it was already eleven. It was time to call Mike to check up on them.

"Levi!"

An older man came to Levi's desk, he was around his mid-thirties. An officer with in the force. Officer Joseph Kirsch, Leon's father.

"Joseph." Levi greeted.

"I heard about Iris yesterday, how is she? And who's looking after her?" Joseph asked.

"She's fine... and Mike's looking after her." Levi replied.

"Mike, huh..."

"Well, better him than Shitty-Glasses, the last thing I need is coming home with the place blown up."

Just on cue, Hange came running across the station with another finding with the case she was handling. Joseph laughed heartedly, but then his laughter stopped when he remembered what his son told him last night. Something that the Principal completely forgot when he called on Levi.

"Levi, about Iris' suspension." Joseph sighed.

"Don't worry about it... she's –"

"No, listen, kid... there's something that Leon told me that that prick Principal left out."

~*~

Iris and Mike spent their day playing video games, volleyball (at the court inside the vicinity), and just spent the day having fun, and now that they have nothing to do (and it was just 3:30PM) Mike insisted that they do her homework together. They were in the middle of Iris' History homework and Mike could see that she was having a hard time with it, so he was teaching her a thing or two of history as they went on. After finishing the last sentence of her essay, Iris sighed in relief and laid back on her bed. Mike chuckled at her actions and went to read the girl's essay. It needed a bit more work, but it was enough for her to pass the subject.

"Anything else we need to do?" Mike asked. "Your Dad won't be home until five."

"Butcher Floch Doll." Iris replied.

"What?" Mike raised a brow at her, confused.

Iris got up, pouting, she then pointed at the doll that lay on the ground, battered. Mike wasn't sure how to react when he saw the doll. Iris wasn't one for dolls so for her to have such a doll meant that it wasn't for playing purposes. Mike reached for the doll and inspected it, it had the name 'Floch "Fucker" Forster' stitched on the chest and had numerous pins stick to it. He was now sure where the girl got the doll, now he wonders if Levi knew about it.

Probably...

"Speaking of Floch "Fucker" Forster..." Mike had the doll face Iris. "Mind telling me what this is about? And what happened yesterday?"

Iris' eyes down-casted at the mention of the incident yesterday, it wasn't something she was proud of, and it was the first time she was humiliated in front of her father. Something she didn't want to happen. Ever.

"He said something about Dad..." Iris began. "So, I punched him."

~*~

Levi got out of work later than expected. He arrived at the door of his apartment at around 7:45PM, he made sure to buy dinner to compensate Mike for making stay for too long. When he opened the door he found the whole place to be dark but for the screen of the TV where a the 1980s film, The Shining was being played, and sitting were Mike and Iris, who cuddled up together under a blanket watching the movie intensely as the chilling scene where Wendy saw the phrases of "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" at the papers was played.

"I see you two are having a good time." Levi spoke.

Iris slightly jumped at the sudden voice that spoke and hid in Mike's arms. Mike put the movie on pause and turned to Levi, who just turned on the lights, blinding them both for a second.

"You could've knocked." Mike said.

"The hell should I knock at my own home." Levi said. "I bought us take-outs."

"Thanks –" Mike began.

"We already ate." Iris muttered. "There's some leftovers at the fridge."

There was an awkward silence in the room. Mike sighed and got up from the couch, he grabbed the bag from Levi's hand and took his share from the take-outs.

"Well, I'm still starving." Mike said.

"I'm heading to bed." Iris said.

"It's just seven." Levi spoke.

"We had a long day of activities." Mike said, trying to ease the tension between the father and daughter. "And she even cleaned the place."

"Goodnight, Uncle Mike."

Iris went to Mike and wrapped her arms around his waist after a getting a pat on the head from the man, Iris turned to her father, said her goodnight and then went to her room. Once she was gone, Levi sighed, he sat on the stool by the counter and took out the burger he bought.

"How was station?" Mike asked.

"Uneventful, surprisingly... Hange had another episode." Levi replied.

"When doesn't she?" Mike chuckled. "Well, Iris and I had a lot of fun... we played some games, did her homework, cleaned the place – hope it passes your standards though."

Levi smiled softly, but then his smile disappeared when he remembered what Joseph told him earlier.

"I learned something today... Joseph told me about what happened at Iris' school... turns out that Principal hid something... that prick just blamed Iris on the fight without understanding why she even punched that son of bitch..." Levi muttered.

Mike stayed quiet as he listened to Levi's retelling of what happened at Iris' school even though he knew already since Iris herself told him, but he knew that if were to tell Levi that Iris told him, the man would be heartbroken.

"I don't even know what to do anymore... since the fight, Iris has been distant..." Levi said. "And I don't blame her... I said some shitty things about her... about Maria... and I can't take it back. I called her an accident, Mike... and I accused Maria of having an affair... and I'm not sure if things can go back the way they were before."

Mike watched as the man crumbled before him. Levi was a fierce detective, strong, feared by his comrades and enemies, but right now, Levi was a crumbling father and husband struggling to reconnect with his daughter and try to stop a divorce from happening.
He's heard of what happened between the husband and wife, about their neglected marriage, the pressure, and of course the fights that has been happening for the past months.
He could remember clearly when he came to visit the family one morning, when he was about to knock at the door of their home, the door simply opened and he was greeted with the sight of Iris standing in the middle of the room crying as she tried to fix the broken photo frame that held the photo of their little family. When he asked the crying girl where her parents were, Iris pointed at the bathroom and there he found Maria cleaning the blood off of her hands, but Levi was nowhere to be found.

"Harsh words were said, regrettable actions were made... but we can't change what has happened in the past, Levi, all you could do is... try to fix the problem you're facing now." Mike said. "With Maria, with Iris... with yourself. And from what I've been seeing from you for the past four months... you're doing good, Levi." Mike patted the man on the back. "Don't be too hard on yourself, alright."

Levi walked Mike to the door. The man took his coat from the hanger and wore his shoes, when they were at the door, Levi gave the man some money for bottle of beer – payment for babysitting his daughter – which Mike gladly accepted, but before the tall man left, he turned to Levi.

"Talk to her, Levi...she might not show it but what you say and think of her means everything to her..." Mike said.

"That's kind of hard to believe."

Mike chuckled. "Trust me... your opinion means a lot to Iris... she looks up to you."
He then bid his goodbye to the short man and then started to walk away. He stopped when he suddenly heard Levi call after him. He turned to face the man.

"Tell Erwin... that I can't go to work tomorrow... I have to look after Iris." Levi said.

Mike smiled.

"Will do."

~*~

December 23rd

"Wake up."

Iris stirred in her sleep. When she suddenly felt her blanket taken from her body, she curled into a ball and buried her face into her pillow.

"Oi, brat, I said wake up."

Peaking to her side to see the one who was disturbing her sleep, Iris saw her father staring down at her, she then turned to the clock by the bedside and saw the time. It was five in the morning. She sent a glare at her father and then buried her face into her pillow again.

"I'm suspended, remember?" Iris said, her voice muffled.

"I know, but we have somewhere to be. Now get up. Wash up and get dressed. And, we're eating out today."

Iris sighed and then forced herself to get up from bed, and with still sleepy eyes, she grabbed her blanket from her father and folded it neatly and then placed it over her pillow.
Seeing that his daughter won't be going back to sleep, Levi went to the living room to wait for his daughter since he was already dressed and ready to go.
After telling Mike that he won't be going to work for the day, he made sure to text and call everyone in his phone to not bother him with anything "stupid" since he was going to be busy himself. Everyone complied and no one even dared to reply an "ok" but for Erwin who even asked "why" and Levi only replied "none of your business, eyebrows". He has everything planned for today. Today was his for him to spend some time with his daughter... and do a little late Christmas shopping as well.

After thirty minutes, Iris came out of the room dressed in her proper winter clothes and carried a small satchel. When she got to the door where her father stood waiting, she got on her boots and then took the coat that her father held for her.

"Let's go." Levi said as he opened the door.

~*~

"Where are we going?" Iris asked when she noticed that instead of making a right at the intersection that was heading to the station where her father worked, he went straight ahead. "Aren't you going to work?"

"Called in sick." Levi said. "We're going somewhere."

"Obviously. But where?" Iris asked.

"Just wait and see."

The drive went on silently since Levi wasn't one to play the radio in the car. They drove for twenty minutes before Levi decided to stop at a small café for breakfast, and after eating they resumed to the road for the next thirty minutes. The whole time Iris wondered where they were going, her father wasn't saying anything about it and she has already lost signal on her phone, so she can't use the maps, and when she would look out of the window all she could see were endless valleys covered in snow, and some shaven trees as well. The scene reminded her of many thriller films she watch, one where the serial killed would drive his victim to an unknown location, away from society and there they would "do the deed", she turned to her father, who seems to be too focused on his driving, just like those killers in the movies --
Iris shook her head at the thought, she just watches too many thriller and horror films.

The sudden sound of the phone ringing in the Bluetooth rang in the car. Levi cursed when he saw the name of who was calling. He was tempted to not answer it but then again, this person won't call unless it was completely necessary. Sighing, Levi tapped the answer button on the screen.

"What is it?" Levi asked.

"Oh come on, Levi, don't be like that." Hange's voice boomed in the car speakers that Levi had to turn down the volume so that the woman's voice would be ear-friendly.

"I told you not to call me today."

"But you're not at work today! And I need you to –"

"Anything you need me to do ask Gunther, he'll be my proxy. I'm hanging up, Shitty-Glasses."

"No, wait –"

"Goodbye, Hange."

Levi ended the call and silence came to the car once again. Iris looked at her father with a raised brow, she never once saw him turn down a call from work, usually he would drop everything planned for the day just so he could answer the call made by the station.

"Are you sure you're not going to work today?" Iris spoke.

"I am. Why'd you ask?" Levi turned to the rear-view mirror to meet her eyes.

"That sounded important."

"It's just Hange asking me to look in on something, usually just her inhumane discoveries... nothing special..." Levi made a turn at a small parking space and then pulled the handbreak.

"Can you at least tell me where we're going?" Iris asked.

"No"

"Why?"

"What's the point in telling you when you can see for yourself. We're here."

Iris raised a brow at her father's comment. She then looked outside the window and saw a small village covered in snow, lights and Christmas decorations. Her eyes widened in shock when she realized where they were. She's seen the place many times in advertisements, it was one of the most visited Christmas villages in Rose, Utgar Village.
When the father and daughter got out of the car, they walked side by side approaching the village. The whole time Iris' eyes were wide, amazed that she was actually in the Christmas village she's been hearing from her classmates. She always wanted to see the village since she was a little girl, but every time they plan on going Levi would be called off to work.

"So... what do you want to see first?" Levi asked. "They have stores around the area, we could do some Christmas shopping... there's Utgar's castle up the hill, we could see that. A museum, that café with flying elves with harnesses... and those small Christmas statues. Your pick."

Iris turned to her father in complete shock. She couldn't believe that her father was asking her what they should do first. Never have she ever heard him ask her that until today. And she wasn't going to let it pass.

"Can we go see the museum first?"

The day was spent with the father and daughter walking around the village. They first went to the museum where Iris saw the evolution of Utgar Village, which started as a small village often raided by thieves to the now beautiful and peaceful Christmas village it was today. After the museum, they went to see Castle Utgar at the hill. It was an old castle that looked like it would crumble any minute, Levi was even hesitant on going inside (unsure of the Castle's stability and because of the dust it has collected) but he still went in for his daughter's sake. Their next stop was the colorful post office where Iris saw chutes that were connected to one another to deliver messages within the vicinity and of course some to other houses through underground chutes. When it was noon, they went to the café with flying elves to eat. It was an odd café since the servers would swing in the sky.

"No need to rush." Levi spoke when he saw his daughter eating too fast. "We're not in a hurry... we have the whole day today, we'll do some Christmas shopping too, and then stay for the show tonight."

"What show?" Iris asked.

"They're lighting up the tree tonight... the one at the square, the big ass one."

"It wasn't that hard to miss." Iris stated.

"So, don't eat too fast, the last thing we need is for you to have a stomach ache."

Nodding, Iris then stuffed another bite of her sandwich. Levi sighed, seeing that his daughter was to excited for the day to slow down, but then smiled. It has been a while since he spent time with his daughter, he couldn't remember when the last time was.

You were right, Maria.

~*~

"Achoo!"

Maria sneezed into her handkerchief. Luckily, she was in the washroom and not the conference room.

"You alright, Maria?" Nanaba asked.

"Yeah, I just sneezed." Maria said, smiling.

The door of the cubicle opened and came out Petra. The young woman went to the sink and washed her hands and then dried them.

"They say that if you sneeze, it means that someone is thinking about you." Petra said.

"Is that so?" Maria chuckled.

"I don't really sneeze that much." Nanaba pondered, her chin on her finger as she went to deep thought. "If you say is true..."

"Don't be like that, Miss Nanaba!" Petra went to comfort the brooding woman. "I'm sure Mr. Zacharias always thinks of you!"

Maria chuckled as the two women went on about the superstition, but deep inside she wondered who it was thinking of her.

~*~

"You can keep the change, thanks."

The vendor slightly bowed as a thank you at Levi. The father and daughter have been in the Christmas Village the whole day, sightseeing, photo taking, eating, shopping. It was the "best day" that Iris had. Along with their activities, Levi learned many things about his daughter that he never knew about her, though they lived in the same roof for the past eight years, such as, her liking towards photography (he saw the photos she took with her phone and were impressed with them, and even made a mental note to use them for Christmas cards so he wouldn't have to go in line to buy them), and then her odd liking towards disturbing Christmas gifts (he saw her buying a Krampus figurine which she will be giving Erwin as a Christmas gift), and then her liking towards puppies (they spent some time in a small pound where they could play with the puppies inside and Iris played with each one of them).

After taking his purchase, Levi turned to his daughter and found her coming out an antique shop and in her hand was a bag that held her purchase.

"What'd you buy?" Levi asked.

"A Krampus post card for Eyebrows." Iris replied.

"I think Erwin has enough of your Krampus gifts... I swear, half of what you bought are Krampus shit for Erwin..."

Levi suddenly saw her eyes brighten up at the mention of "Krampus shit", he gave her a pointed look and shook his head.

"Don't." He said.

Iris cheekily smiled.

"So, where are we off to now?" Iris asked.

Levi checked his watch. They still have time before the lights at the square turn on, and he doubts that the two idiots at his apartment were finished with what he asked them to do. He looked around the village to find anything for them to do, and all Levi could find was the skating rink.

"How about there." Levi nodded at the skating rink's direction.

Iris followed his direction and saw the rink. She raised a brow at her father.

"But you don't skate." Iris said.

"But you do... and today is about having fun." Levi sighed. "Come on."

Iris was stunned with her father's words. The whole day, her father has been surprising her with the sudden change of attitude. His sudden patience when it came to walking around in the snow, him ignoring the calls made by the office, and then Christmas shopping, Levi never did Christmas shopping, and now ice skating?! Something was definitely wrong with him –

Maybe he's trying... Iris thought as she remembered the councilor she met to talk about the divorce. But before any more of those thought could come Iris shook her head and then ran after her father.

~*~

Levi sat on a bench with a sore bottom. While at the skating rink, after learning that the rink was a frozen pond, Levi suddenly felt a sudden panic to find Iris, and to his greatest fear, he found her right in the middle, skating with other children. Images of possible things in came to his mind: ice breaking and them falling in, Iris suddenly falling into a hole. So, though he couldn't skate, Levi tried to get to his daughter, he was able to get a hang of it at first, but then he slipped and fell on his bottom and then sliding across the rink, only stopping when his back hit the fence. Thus, followed where HE was currently nursing his bottom while Iris went to buy them both a hot drink at the café.

"Here..." Iris said, handing Levi his tea.

"Thanks." Levi said.

Iris sat down beside him with her hot coco. She looked at the horizon and saw the sun setting. In a few hours the lights would turn on and then they'll be heading back to the city. She was hoping that the day wouldn't end. It was perfect. It was the first time that she was able to spend time with her father. But she knew that once night fell and once the lights were turned on and the star at the top of the tree was lit, they were heading home, back to the reality that was her life. Back to the reality that her parents were having a divorce, the reality of Floch "Fucker" Forster just got away of bullying, and that this will be the last time she will be spending time with her father. If only she could stop time...

"What's with the constipated face?" Levi asked.

"Nothing..." Iris answered.

"You gotta take a shit?"

"What? No!" Iris chuckled.

Levi's eyes widened at the sound of his daughter's laughter. It was the first time he heard her laugh because of something he said.

The father and daughter stayed at the bench for the remaining time they have, resting their tired feet, and when the sun was completely gone, and the lights were lit, they both went to the square to see the tree. They stood within the crowd and watched the show made by the choir and dancers, and then when the clock struck seven, the star was lit up and so was the other lights at the tree, giving a marvelous ending for the day. Cheers were made by the people, but Levi and Iris remained silent as they knew that it was the end of the day, and that meant that it was time to head back to reality.

~*~

They arrived at the basement parking around ten in the evening. When Levi turned off the lights and pulled the emergency break, he turned to Iris to see if she was still awake, and to his surprise, she was.

"Let's go." Levi said.

"Can we stay here for a while." Iris spoke.

Levi was confused with his daughter's request but did anyway. He waited for her to speak, but Iris simply took off her belt and then got to the front through the space between the driver's seat and passenger seat. She settled at the passenger seat and stayed quiet. The silence was unsettling. It was bothering Levi. Should he start the conversation or wait for her to?

"Iris –"

"He was spreading rumors about us." Iris began. "That day when we were called to the Principal's office... when I punched Floch... he was spreading rumors about our family so I punched him to shut him up."

Levi didn't need to hear it again, but he knew that it was best to let Iris talk. So, he stayed quiet and listened.

"He was telling people that you cheated on Mom... Leon told me to ignore them, then Floch said that he heard his parents say that the only reason why Mom married you was because you got her pregnant... that I was an unwanted accident... that you even asked Mom to get rid of me."

"Iris..." Levi began.

"And that the reason why Mom is because you were a violent man... so I punched him... I didn't stop until he told the truth."

"I know... I've heard those rumors as well... That's why I never came to your school, and why it was always your Mom who does anything involving you..." Levi sighed. He turned to face his daughter. "I know that things are difficult, Iris... and I know that I haven't been the best father, but I'm trying... and all you need to know is that I love you and your mother."

"Then why fight? Why'd you have to leave? Why have a divorce? Dad, be honest... is the reason why you and Mom are getting a divorce was because of me?" Iris spoke. "Some kids found out about the divorce and have been saying those things... it's been bugging me."

"Iris, no! That's not why –" Levi sighed. "I'm sure you know that I didn't grow up in the best neighborhood or grew up in a perfect family... my Uncle who raised me was a criminal, and he taught me how to live... I never had the best background, got arrested a few times... then I met your mother and then you came along... Iris, the moment your mother told me that she was pregnant I decided to change... I worked hard, I cleaned up my act, but my past followed me to this new life I was living. Rumors about me sprung – it was affecting your mother's career, so I try to work harder... I was too caught up with my image that I forgot about why I was doing it...

"The fight we had that night – we just had the last straw... people kept on meddling with our lives, and I started to neglect my family and focused too much on myself. Your mother and I said some harsh words, we did regrettable things... and worst, we did it when you were there, and you saw it happen... that is the greatest mistake we made... fighting in front of you.

"Now, this divorce isn't about you... it's completely between me and your Mom... and I promise you when I tell you that I'm doing my best to stop it..."

Tears fell from Iris' eyes. Levi reached to his daughter and wiped them away.

"Will you? Will you stop the divorce?" Iris asked, sobbing.

Levi sighed again, he took his daughter from the seat and had her on his lap.

"That's up to your Mom, kid."

"Is it? Is it really just up to Mom?"

Levi fell silent. No, it wasn't...

Levi brought Iris to his chest and envelopes her into an embrace.

"I love you, alright? Always remember that... I love you and I love your mother."

"I know..." Iris said. "I love you too. And Mom does too..."

Levi smiled. The father and daughter stayed each other's embrace for a while. Neither spoke or moved, they were contented with their silence. And for the first time, it wasn't a tensed silence that was always in the atmosphere. It was a comforting one.

"Maybe if we sent Krampus to Rico... she'll stop the divorce?" Iris spoke.

"I don't think that's necessary..." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 55.9K 25
(Y/N) (L/N) is the head doctor for the scouts, and she is also Erwin's only daughter. Though she wanted to be a scout, her father has never let her g...
994K 27.9K 86
Suns had always been known to be the brightest light, but anyone whose ever met one particular girl would know her smile conquered all. She loved and...
329K 8K 59
I apologise that the first few chapters spelling are terrifying as I didn't check them but the other chapter later on in the story are double checked...
337K 8.3K 76
A weak and fragile soldier ends up becoming one of the most respected soldiers in all units. Don't judge a book by its cover. With her charms and kin...