Truly-Madly-Deeply Assistant

Autorstwa ZaraPenn

Avery had big dreams but Jared, who can't seem to function without her, doesn't feel like letting her go. Is... Więcej

Part One - First
Hurricane
All I need
She is gone
Change
Breakfast at Jared's
Games by the pool
Ups and the downs
Chances pt. 1
Chances pt. 2
Chances pt. 3 - Leaving
Summer special - The show
Summer Special - The after-party
Bitter welcomes
Medicate
Her favorite song
Shotgun
My way or the high way
One day
'A man on fire'
'A violent desire'
'Do you wanna cross the line?'
Morning Coffee
One in a million
This is us
Morning fluff
Flashback - Lily
Protective or selfish
Here goes nothing
Acceptance
Commit to the bit
Above the clouds
Homecoming
Flashback - You'll never know
Little truths
LA!Buzz - The gossip
The one with all the feelings
Out and About
Family issues
A year wiser
Flashback - All I have
The gift
Shadows of the past
A night apart
Take the car
Another day another girl
talk!showtime
New Year's Eve - Morning
New Year
It's over
Farewell
Flashback - The Oscars moment
Apart - phone calls
Apart - the bully
Apart - breaking point
Surprising Mr. Leto
Highs, lows and higher
His past
I don't
The Event pt. 1
The Event pt. 2
Morning news
LA!Buzz - The real deal
Hobbies
City of Exes
Flashback - Forever mine
Home
Capricorn and the pushover
Hurt
Hot and steamy
Untitled
The test of feelings
Leaving night
Friend or foe
Tips and tricks
Flashback - Scattered memories
Comfort pt. 1
Comfort pt. 2
Long distance
Moving on
Choosing dreams
Intimacy
Back to us
Brother's leftover
Just saying...
Mother in town
Taking control
Surrender
The new home
Stubborn mind, aching heart
Housewarming
Behind closed doors
Baby talk pt. 1
Baby talk pt. 2
A day in the life
LA!Buzz - Drama alert
Small town girl
Birthday surprise pt. 1
Birthday surprise pt. 2
Her past
Home big Home
Camp
Change is coming
Our life, our rules pt. 1
Our life, our rules pt. 2 - Ending

Flashback - Backlash

505 17 11
Autorstwa ZaraPenn

Disclaimer (once again): Although this fan fiction is based on and includes real life elements, it is STILL fiction and I do not claim any to be true.

As asked, I wrote a Joker backlash chapter but it was harder than I thought and I think didn't turn out as good as it was in my head, but one chapter is not really enough for this and I rather focused on J and A's relationship than the whole Joker story but I hope it is still interesting enough to read this long *ss chapter xD

And now, thank you everyone for the support this year and see you soon in 2020 ^^

2 years and 9 months earlier

"So, I could tell you a little bit about our London base if you are interested before you head to an interview there," Landon offered; a young, very handsome manager, working in Universal Music LA.

I met him at the MTV music awards backstage and low-key hinted about my interest in the industry and a potential change of jobs to become a manager myself under a company as big as Universal Music.

He was kind enough to join me for coffee and tell me about their work ethics, and share little tips about concurring the interview I was hoping to get in the London branch.

My goal was to get a manager position before I turn thirty, which gave me a bit less than three years to get there. I did not mention my plans to Jared yet; he had a lot going on and I thought that I only tell him if I get the interview. He would still have time to find someone else then.

"Yes, please! I am eager to hear any details," I nodded typing key words and company mottoes into my phone.

Landon chuckled, then taking a sip of his coffee he leaned back.

"So... first and foremost, the know-how..."

I nodded typing away when a notification of an e-mail appearing on the top of my screen caught my attention.

-Leto's response to Hollywood Uncut's Joker backlash?-

I frowned, checking the date.

Suicide Squad was out for quite some time now to have enough people seen it and have comments, but with Jared working with Gucci that week and already filming a part in another movie in sync, whilst still getting unwanted attention from the media about his absence during most of the Suicide Squad promo shots, it was hard to keep up and respond to any of them.

But since Hollywood Uncut was the largest movie review site with the most hourly visits, I couldn't control my curiousness hoping for a better turn of events about Jared's reputation.

Although I was officially the band's publicist, I somehow ended up working for Jared as well, which took all my free time and sanity mostly, and that is one of the reasons I was considering to move on after six years of Mars. Lately it did feel like Mars. Lonely, empty and just work, work and work.

But at least after the Oscar's reunion with Jared I felt like my crush calmed down and I could be a functioning worker of his without any hot flashes when he would look at me. I didn't even know how could I develop a crush on him; he could be so self-centered and exceptionally annoying. My Mom was, right; I just needed some time away from all of him.

"If they ask anything about hobbies you go for it and show your most colorful side..." Landon continued as my attention turned to Hollywood Uncut's website.

What I found was... Let's just say, I expected to read some negative stuffs but this went over the meaning of bad; it was shocking, hateful and most of all, hurtful...

They dragged the whole movie; from story line to directing, but the whole last paragraph was all about how Jared warned people his Joker didn't get as much screen time as it deserved and now the review is determined to tell WHY it was a good decision to cut him out... and the audience seemed to be sucker for picking on a "common target".

"He's a terrible actor who was so far out of his depth. His childish "method acting" tells enough to anyone he wasn't made for this. Sure, blame the script all you like but shit is shit."

My mouth fell open as my eyes ran through the lines...

"The "costume design" combined with his performance was way too cartoon-like. Felt like I am watching Nickelodeon tbh."

"Jared Leto is a prick and it's funny that he did his method shit for no reason. I'm amused!"

"Has anyone told Jared that he is self-absorbed? He's no Heath Ledger. The whole promo tour he marketed himself as the messiah of Suicide Squad. The rest of the cast basically dumped him for obvious reasons."

"Oh fuck..." I breathed blinking stunned.

"Avery?" Landon's confused voice made me shoot him an even more confused look as I shook my head.

In that moment I only knew that I had to get to Jared before he reads it... before he sees it all...

"I'm... I'm so sorry, Landon... I gotta go." I muttered standing up.

Gathering my CV and notes from the table, not caring if they crumble; I violently pushed them into my bag.

"It's emergency..." I added as I picked up the bag and with that I swept my phone and scarf onto the floor. "Shit..." I muttered reaching down but Landon was faster picking them up.

"There you go... I hope everything is alright."

He was watching me as I grabbed my jacket on, not finding its sleeve so he stepped behind me to help it onto me.

"Yeah.. yeah I just... really need to hurry," I muttered.

"Hey... you have to take your bag off before putting the jacket on," he smiled and I looked at him with a forced smile, shrugging the jacket back off, starting it all again.

"Thank you... let me call you later," I stated as I started to walk out of the coffee shop. "Oh shit... shit... shit..." I muttered turning back as I was elbow deep into my bag trying to find my wallet.

"It's okay... coffee's on me, go before the world ends," he smiled. "Next time you invite me."

I smiled back to him with a blush then waving awkwardly I ran out of the cafe shop onto the windy street, looking around to find a cab as I tried to keep the hair out of my face.

Peeking down to my phone I read another comment.

"He was a mix of a The Mask and Ace Ventura. Worst. Joker."

Half an hour later I was hurrying up the drive way of Jared's house as I kept reading other articles, with other comments, trying to find a silver lining.

"Sooo overrated actor. Take away all the excuses of editing issues, his Joker was embarrassing. As for all the stories of him staying in character; sending dead pigs, used condoms to fellow cast members, just shows an individual trying way too hard to let everyone know what a true method actor he is."

Reading the lines in hurry, I dug my keys from my pocket but before I could place it into the lock the door opened and I almost collided with a someone.

"Oh... hey... sorry..." I muttered with lowered eyes when I realized I almost bumped into Halsey herself... aka Ashley.

"Oh, Avery... I was just about to leave," she smiled and I peeked to her embarrassed as I stepped back and out of the way. "I'll call you later when I reach Andy," she looked back to Jared before she walked away and I stepped in, closing the door behind me.

"I... I thought you respected her..." I raised an eyebrow remembering about the rumors of the two being together (again) but Jared told very convincingly there was nothing going on since they separated. "What about Valery now?"

"And I still do! We were talking about a possible collaboration," he explained as he started to walk back to the living room, me following after kicking my shoes off.

He wore normal clothes like tight black pants and a silk green shirt; he must be going somewhere.

"Anyway, why is that when you see women leaving my house you think of me fucking them all?" he asked as he turned back and I opened my mouth to speak but he raised his hand. "You know what? Don't answer that."

I had to suppress smile as I dropped my bag onto the kitchen counter.

"As for Valery; she probably won't want to be seen with me as now I am not only Hollywood's most pervert, most disgusting, most crazy, most entitled person but now I am the worst actor as well," he sighed running his fingers through his short hair.

"So you read it?" I asked pulling my neck in.

"Who didn't?" he snapped. "We gotta do something with this shit, Av. I need an emergency meeting. I'm gonna call in my agent, my manager, the whole PR team... well... you're here... as usual... But the professional folks," he muttered and I swear I heard mock in his voice but knowing the circumstances, I let it go.

"Need any help?" I asked as I took my jacket off.

"Just... tidy up the meeting room," he nodded towards its direction as he grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge.

I nodded and hurried to get ready for the meeting.

"Look, we are looking at a huge movie fanatic audience here," started Nick, his manager. "Of course they are going to pick up on the hate but see these comments?"

He turned his laptop towards Jared who sat at the head of the oval table, leg resting on knee, leaning back casually as he played a rhythm on his stubbly chin with his fingers.

" "I thought he did a fantastic job. Having said that I thought he was the most "comic book" Joker of all the big film Jokers. Heath Ledger was superb but not anything like the comic Joker." Or," Nick followed his finger on the screen. " "He did get an Oscar for Dallas Buyers Club- The competition must have been poor that... year.""

Jared raised his eyebrow questioningly, the frown never leaving his face as Nick peeked back up.

"Uh, sorry wrong line... Here! People's online " I know this is a less popular opinion but I liked Leto's Joker. I think he did a good job and whether or not it was sidelined, his role was entertaining. Leto is a figure that has been written off several times now. He's pissed off people and so they love to hate on him."

"Thanks for sharing the "less popular" opinion," Jared snorted. "So what we gonna do about this fucking press?"

"Well..." Gabi, the other PR personnel cleared her throat. "Not to be all I told you so, but accepting their marketing plan to make you and the Joker the main focus for the press was a reckless decision from your part. To me it seems like when they got a peek of the movie and realized that it might not be going where they wanted it to go they just threw you under the bus, making it all about you so you can take the fall."

Jared was eyeing Gabi disapprovingly then sighed annoyed.

"So I didn't call this meeting to go through what we already know, i need solutions."

"The solution is just to... keep on working, Jared," Gabi continued. "You have been telling everyone what you have done during the set, so now going opposite all of those would make you look just a bigger... well... douche. But! If you dive into new projects we can reduce the lifespan of the topic with months. Avery?" Gabi looked at me asking me to continue.

I sighed sitting more up.

"You are soon going to have the photo shoot with Gucci which is already a great new topic to the public. Also, we could speed up the commercial with Lana to come out already this year, but that means that you would have to do the commercial in sync with the first recordings of the album. Tom Ford also reached out offering a fall fashion issue and there is this Spanish GQ deep interview what you could accept for the December issue," I listed.

I hated this plan, but this is what we could come up with in such a short notice. I didn't want to see him overworking and be on the edge but Gabi thought this is the best he could do to turn the attention away from Suicide Squad.

"Great... sure, take all that; I'm in," he waved as he sat up. "Let everyone think that I sent out condoms to Margot alongside some dark web stuffs and even think that I did nothing but fooling around during the movie. I'm surprised they didn't put in some off-scene footage," he muttered standing up. "That's all?"

Everyone looked at each other uncertain.

"For now," nodded Gabi.

"Alright then; send me the schedule by tomorrow morning and let's see how it goes," he patted the table before he left casually.

I watched the people leave, then I stood up too with a long sigh looking at the Hollywood Uncut story lost in thoughts.

After another fifteen minutes, I closed my laptop and slowly walking out, where I found Jared in the living room, leaning onto the window with an arm above his head, looking out to the backyard and hills silently.

I watched him being still for a minute before he shook his head and put his hands into his pockets with a long sigh, turning to walk back upstairs with lowered head.

I looked after him, feeling saddened by the thought of what he had to go through all alone, not wanting to tell anyone how he is hurt.

Rubbing my forehead I checked the time on my phone, then turning on my heels I headed back to the meeting room, hoping to find some permanent solution.

Searching through the web as I saw new stories arise; good ones, bad ones... and an idea popped into my mind and started typing a News story myself.

About 3 hours in I only got up and headed to the kitchen to make some black tea for myself as I waited to get on an emergency call with People magazine. It was nine in the evening but I tried anyway.

The house was quiet and dark and I assumed Jared went to bed already so I decided to stay until I am sure I can make my plan work.

Although I went to my room straight after the meeting, I couldn't even close my eyes, with thoughts floating around in my head about how I could go from Academy Award winner to the worst Joker and apparently most hated person in Hollywood in just two years. I didn't know if I should cry, be angry or just let it go.

I knew it is not the end and I knew that I still have people behind me and the Echelon and my family but right now just let me pout for some time; what I I don't really have much of.

I couldn't wait to go back to the studio and finally sing. I knew the new album is going to bring a new beginning and that made me happy and almost careless about the hysteria around Suicide Squad; the movie that betrayed me, the people behind it who shone bad light on me and misled me.

Sighing, I walked down bare foot the cold stairs, my PJ trousers tickling my ankles. I folded my arms around my bare chest as the chilly air hit me after leaving the warmth of my blanket.

It was two in the morning when I decided to get out of bed and have some tea, what hopefully would give me some shut-eye.

Seeing light coming from the kitchen I slowed down, walking in uncertain. Turning in the doorway I saw a mess of red hair on the counter as Avery was sleeping on top of her opened computer and I shook my head with a light smile.

She was most definitely one of those very few people who would be by my side even if I would have robbed a bank, to help me out of the mess.

I knew she was lonely.

I knew she doesn't have anyone in Los Angeles... or in the whole US for that matter, since she grew apart with her school friends. And I also knew she is more than a publicist in the making. She is an angel sent to me. She is here to learn, here to grow and as weird as it sounds from me; she looks up to me and even if I give her a hard time it is only because I want her to see this career is not all about glam. Although she probably knows that seeing how many nights I found her working around here.

I knew she didn't want to be alone and so I never questioned her as to why she works here, why she stays long.

To be honest, somewhere deep down I liked her company. It was calming, pure and just... nice. Sometimes no words even needed, she was just there and that helped me feel better in this big ass house all alone. With her little things around and her scent lingering in the air... this big ass house felt like home and not just a space I hang around until I leave again.

"Avery..." I whispered, laying a hand on her back, rubbing it gently.

Waking up, she licked her lips and straightening up in her seat she brushed the hair out of her face, looking up to me.

"Jared..." she muttered but then a smile appeared on her face.

And damn if I have ever seen a woman smile at me that bright as she did in that moment she saw me with her sleepy eyes.

I smiled back at her then pulled her laptop away from her.

"Stop working... please," I asked then turned to the counter to boil some water.

"I... actually did stop already. I found a solution. But I will go into details when it is ready to drop," she smiled as I looked at her interested.

"If you come up with anything that can save my face, I'll love you forever," I sighed, hoping for anything what can drag me out of this shit hole.

Looking back up to her as I put the tea in front of her I saw her smile, pink cheeks and lowered lashes.

"Okay..." all she whispered and I smiled in myself sitting down next to her.

"I just really wish I could just have a time out, you know. From all the media and everything. Just hide in a cave and turn my mind off..." I muttered, sipping from my tea.

"I understand..." she answered. "You know, I really liked your Joker. And there are tons of people who felt the same. Some only watched the movie because of you. Some only read the comics because of you. Because their idol was in there. Because you introduced the character to them," she explained. "It was their version of the Joker and you did your best to put that on screen. Watching you on set; you were amazing. And it's not only me who thinks this way and not "only" your fans. We just concentrated on all the negative because that is what we have to react to but now I invite you to read all of these, when you have time," she smiled opening back her laptop with a bunch of links open.

"I... will... thanks... yeah I didn't even think there are good reviews as well..."

"Oh there are," she nodded.

Looking at her I smiled sadly as my eyes lingered on her lips as she gently blew air into her tea to cool it down.

I couldn't help but giggle in myself as I shook my head then took another sip of my tea. She is so naturally sensual and what makes her even more interesting is that she doesn't have a clue about it.

I wonder who is going to be the lucky guy who she will fall in love with. She most definitely is the most caring person I have ever met and I am nothing but an employer to her of some sort. And that fella better know what she is worth.

The next day, while Jared was out on an early meeting, I decided to give him that little cave to turn his mind off, before I will be away for the weekend.

I downloaded one of Grace Kelly's movies, who he really likes. I also ordered food from his favorite restaurant. Some sweet guilty pleasure, aka his favorite desserts have just arrived and I did some non-alcoholic mojito.

When the front door opened I walked to the hall with a smile but was surprised to see Valery walk in.

"Hey, Avery, Jared here already?" she asked dropping her bag down by the door.

"Hi... no, not yet, why? I thought you are... away," I frowned.

"Well I am back. Had to rain check; the wind blew away the photo shoot," she waved walking past me and into the kitchen. "I heard Jared is not in such a good place right now so I hoped to shake him up a bit if you know what I mean," she smiled mysteriously and I pulled a face as walked after her.

"Yeah um.. well.."

"Oh what's this? You ordered food?" she asked peeking into the plastic bags.

"Yeah, you know he... mentioned he would like to unwind today so..." I really wanted to continue like, so get the hell out of here, I planned the afternoon with him... but I realized he probably would be happier enjoying these treats with his girlfriend who is away most of the time than with the random publicist who anyway sticks around way too much. "So... I ordered from his favorite restaurant and... also a movie is ready to play in the living room... Mojito in the fridge... "I cleared my throat to win time to think, "He will be happy to know that he doesn't have to be alone today," I forced a smile.

"Oh, this is really cool, Avery; thanks!" she grinned, opening some boxes. "Uh... chicken wings?" she wrinkled her nose.

"Uh, yeah that.. one was for me, I almost forgot..." I mumbled as I stepped there to take it out of the bag uncertain.

That is when the entrance door opened and closed and soon enough Jared appeared in the kitchen door.

"Oh... Valery," he looked at her surprised.

"Surprise!" she grinned opening her arms.

"You're back!"

"I am," she smiled walking there, driving her thin arms around his neck as she placed a kiss on his lips gently and I looked away uncomfortably. "And you are back just in time for an afternoon treat. Food, movie, drinks, dessert... and then some more dessert," she smiled wide. "What do ya think?"

"It's... amazing. And you ordered from Olli's? You are such a mind reader," he smiled.

"Oh, yeah sure," she grinned proud.

"Well.. I... I'm gonna go, you guys... enjoy," I smiled as I picked up my bag pushing the takeaway box into it as well.

"Thanks," smiled Valery waving.

"Have a great weekend, Av," Jared smiled as he peeked into the food bags impatiently.

"You too," I smiled then as I turned away and walked out the door I let out a sigh with a sad smile; at least happy that Jared seemed happy about the afternoon plan.

As long as he can unwind and relax a bit, I can deal with the fact that it won't be with me. I got Friends DVD and chicken wings; can't get any better than that.

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

1.4K 176 25
Heartbroken and destroyed Anka doesn't have the power to move on. A lot of pressure is hanging on her shoulders and a lot of things have been left ha...
14.2K 619 51
Story written with @AllAboutTheBear
13.7K 601 35
Meet Lexy. She's heading for a new life in LA, hoping to leave behind traumatic family memories in Louisiana. What she doesn't bargain for is a doub...
11.5K 682 67
Music inspires many to persevere, hope, dream, laugh, cry and process a wide variety of emotions. Music was very important to Melissa Campbell, havin...