merlin angst one shots

By imwithtonyandnatasha

just a bunch of one shots where merlin gets hurt.... A LOT. this isn't my one shot book, its @Dani_JaB 's. th... More

A/N
Not You (part 1)
Not You (part 2)
Not You (part 3)
Not You (part 4)
Not You (part 5)
Not You (part 6)
Past Memories

Understand, Won't You, Please

2.1K 72 14
By imwithtonyandnatasha

Requested by thatonefandom_69

Merlin turned, and everything seemed to happen in slow motion.

Arthur and Merlin were out hunting. Of course, Merlin never enjoyed it, but Arthur did, and since he was having a difficult time right now, due to kingly duties, he dragged Merlin out with him. Just him and Merlin, but now...they weren't alone.

They heard a war cry as bandits started reigning in from all directions. Merlin fell of his horse when he reared, still not stable on the mighty animal.

"Merlin, are you alright?" Arthur called back at him while fighting three bandits at once.

"Yes." Merlin replied, trying not to sound so frightened. To Arthur, maybe this many of them didn't cross his mind, but Merlin, Merlin was worried. There were only two of them, and close to ten or twelve bandits.

Merlin stood up, dusting himself off slightly before turning, and that's when it happened.

Merlin saw two bandits herding towards Arthur, right in his blind spot. Maybe he could have, should have, acted differently, chosen a better route, solution, but in that moment, all he saw was red, and a daymare of Arthur getting impaled. So he acted without thinking.

Merlin raised his arms, and blasted the bandits away. He was sure Arthur hadn't seen it, but the bandits had. "He has magic!" They cried, running and screaming. Arthur turned quickly, assuming to find another villain, one with magic, standing nearby. But all he saw was Merlin, hands raised, a determined, almost scary look on his face, and his eyes dulling back to their original color.

"Merlin?" Arthur asked. Merlin whipped his head around at Arthur, trying to subtly drop his arms, but it had been too late, he just didn't want to except it.

"Yes, Arthur?" Merlin replied innocently.

"That wasn't you...no, it couldn't have been." Arthur mumbled in a state of denial. "But...no one else...is around."

"What are you going on about, Arthur?" Merlin asked, hoping above hope Arthur would continue in his state of disbelief.

"You...do you have magic, Merlin?" Arthur asked straight forward. Merlin panicked. He didn't want to lie to Arthur, but what choice did he have. "Don't lie to me, Merlin." Arthur said, turning more stern.

"I-" Merlin choked, he didn't know what to say.

"I saw it, Merlin. I saw it, with my own eyes I saw you. Tell me it isn't true." Arthur pleaded. Merlin only nodded, his words failing him at this point. "You...y-you have magic?" Arthur asked again. Merlin nodded, scared he would be outlawed.

Arthur, too stunned to properly react, just turned his horse around and started heading back to the castle. Merlin climbed back on his horse and followed.

*time skip*

It was the next day and Merlin was terrified to see Arthur. He didn't say anything when they got back yesterday, just locked himself up in his room. He didn't let anyone in.

Merlin sighed as he got Arthur's breakfast and stopped in front of Arthur's door. Merlin slowly opened the door, trying not to wake Arthur just yet, to find he was already awake and up.

"A-Arthur?" Merlin stuttered in confusion. "What are you doing up?" Arthur didn't respond, he only continued to stare out his window. Merlin set down the food at his desk. "Arth-"

"You lied to me." Arthur cut him off. "All this time, you've been lying to me. All this time, you had magic."

"I only used it for you Arthur, only ever for you." Merlin tried to reason.

"How can I believe anything you say, sorcerer." Arthur spat. "After lying to me for so long, how can I intrust in you again?"

"Arthur, please, I'm not lying. I only ever tried to protect you-"

"Stop feeding me fibs." Arthur said angrily. "How long have you been practicing magic, huh? How long?!" Merlin sighed.

"I've never-"

"Lies!"

"No, Arthur it isn't, just listen." Merlin said. Arthur didn't respond, so Merlin took his opportunity. "I was born with magic, Arthur. I didn't get a choice in the matter."

"Leave." Arthur said calmly.

"What?"

"I said leave."

"Arth-"

"Leave!" He bellowed. Merlin stood still, shocked. Then he turned angry. After everything he'd done for Arthur, this is how he gets repaid when he finds out?

"Fine, sire." Merlin said with spite, promptly leaving the room.

Arthur kept standing where he was for a moment, complete shock etched into his features. Had Merlin really just...turn bitter? He didn't care though, right? Merlin was a sorcerer, and all sorcerers were bad, weren't they? Except with Merlin...Arthur never once felt a bad feeling from Merlin. And if even Merlin was bad, no one was that perfect. He would have slipped up at some point. But never, not a single time, had Arthur ever felt Merlin had evil intent. In fact, in the moment, all Arthur could do was piece together the times Merlin saved him without his knowledge.

The fight with the dragon, the timr Arthur was poisoned by a vicious beast, the countless times they were attacked by bandits and tree branches somehow fell atop a few of them and how arrows missed their target that had originally been himself, as well as numerous other times.

And through all that, not once did Merlin seek out credit. Not once did he even make up a lie to seem like the savior without using magic.

Was Merlin really born with magic? That's impossible, isn't it? What if it wasn't, though? Merlin was afraid of Uther, and that he couldn't fake. So Arthur really doubted he would begin, or continue, to practice magic after hearing about and witnessing the many slaughters Uther portrayed towards sorcery.

Arthur realized he made a mistake. Gaius used to practice magic, didn't he? And to this day he is a wonderful man, very accountable and trustworthy. Magic didn't corrupt him, so maybe all sorcery wasn't bad, as Merlin often preaches.

Arthur strode out the room, determined to find his servant and close friend. He needed to apologize. Yes, he was the king. He didn't actually "need" to be sorry, especially towards his servant, but as a friend of Merlin's, he should, and does, feel ashamed of himself. He'd known Merlin for quite awhile now, and he didn't take Merlin's word seriously. He didn't believe him. Sure, Merlin lied, but who wouldn't in his position? As a sorcerer born with magic as the princes, then kings, servant. Anyone would be terrified of the outcome had their secret gotten out.

Arthur entered Gaius' chamber, hoping to find Merlin there, but found no one. Arthur searched the whole castle, and even part of town looking for his servant, but was always empty handed. Eventually, Arthur rode out on his horse and into the forest. There was a spot that Merlin particularly liked, and Arthur was hoping above hope that that's where he would find the young warlock.

As Arthur rode through the forest, he scolded himself for the way he treated Merlin. Arthur felt so guilty, but he knew there was nothing he could say to erase what happened. However, he could make it better and reassure his friend not only his safety, but that Arthur's thoughts and opinions of Merlin won't change.

"Merlin?" Arthur called out once he made it to the clearing. There he was. Merlin was sitting on a log not too far off from where Arthur and his horse stood now, but far enough he hadn't heard Arthur approach nor his call out.

Arthur dismounted, secured his horse, then slowly approached the boy, afraid he could bolt if he acted in haste.

Once Arthur was a few feet away, he spoke again. "Merlin." Arthur said sternly, yet still harboring a soft tone and caring eyes. Merlin shot up from his seat. Immediately, his defense mode activated, searching the area for any signs of a threat. Arthur noticed this and the guilt weighing upon his shoulders only became heavier. "Don't worry, Merlin." Arthur said soothingly. "I'm not here to kill you or anything drastic like that."

"Oh, what is it, then?" Merlin said harshly, turning cold and callous towards his friend. "Am I to never return to Camelot? Shall your eyes never lay upon me again? What, sire, is it that you plan on doing with me?" Merlin asked, slight fear and anguish evident in his voice.

"No, Merlin, I-"

"Stop, please." Merlin said. "Don't give me false hope. If you're going to make me suffer, don't add on to it by making me feel safe. Just get on with it." Merlin lowered his head, his gaze on the ground. Arthur felt stunned, paralyzed, was Merlin really that afraid of him?

"Do you really think I would do that?" Arthur asked.

"I honestly don't know what you would do, Arthur." Merlin said in a whisper that was barely audible. Arthur began to approach Merlin, and planted his hands firmly on the boys shoulders. Merlin flinched, which broke Arthur's heart.

"I owe you an apology." Arthur admitted. Merlin snapped his head up from the ground where he'd been staring at a very interesting leaf.

"W-what?" Merlin stuttered, not sure he heard right.

"I shouldn't have treated you the way I did when I found out. I realize how much you did for me now. I understand that you only ever use your power for me. I'm sorry, Merlin, I acted awfully."

"R-really?" Merlin asked in surprise. "You really feel bad?"

"I do."

"Thank you, Arthur. Thank you so much." Merlin said with gratitude. Silent tears started running down his face.

"Come on," Arthur teased, starting to tear up himself. "Don't cry, idiot. You're going to make me cry." Arthur complained. To console him, Arthur wrapped Merlin in a hug. "I don't care that you're a sorcerer." Arthur said in a hushed tone. "I know that you're kind hearted and nothing will ever change that. But now that I know how powerful you are, you'll have a lot less excuses on why you're slacking with your chores!" Arthur said in exasperation.

Merlin let out a small chuckle, then sighed with content. "Thank you." He repeated himself.

"Anytime." Arthur huffed, pretending to be annoyed at the situation.

"Softy." Merlin whispered. Arthur sighed but only hugged Merlin tighter.

He wasn't about to let Merlin leave him. He was Arthur's first, and most loyal, friend. Though he would never admit it, Arthur needed Merlin, and he was sure Merlin needed him, too.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.9K 584 24
Heyyy this is gonna be a ton of fluffy and angsty Merlin One shots and short stories. I take suggestions (no smut tho-) There's gonna be a ton of sh...
50.9K 1.3K 16
I mean. . . the title. A collection of Merthur one shots. Everything you could ask for! Okay maybe not everything, but!! Don't fret, we have fluff...
113K 632 74
Just some Johnnyboy oneshots!! Fluff, and maybe some smut. ALL CHARACTERS BELING TO S. E. HINTON!!
295 5 8
Merlin and Arthur Two sides of the same coin This book has a collection of several Merthur one-shots, although I try not to I end up writing Angst b...