The Dragon Liberator: Escapee

By kass-ride

Book 1 In a world full of dragons, self-outcast Fendrel despairs that he may be the only human who cares abou... More

Welcome!
-Dragon Descriptions-
-Pronunciation-
-1-
-2-
-3-
-4-
-5-
-6-
-7-
-8-
-9-
-10-
-11-
-12-
-13-
-14-
-16-
-17-
-18-
-19-
-20-
-21-
-22-
-23-
-24-
-25-
-26-
-27-
-28-
-29-
-30-
-31-
-32-
-33-
-Epilogue-

-15-

6 0 0
By kass-ride

POV: Fendrel

After searching the forest and not picking up even a scent of Mist, Venom led the others back to complete the interviews. One was with a floral dragon whose feathers swirled like a pink rose and whose paws were green and had thorns like the flower's stem. As she left, she looked over her shoulder at Venom. "I don't know why you're getting yourself into trouble with these humans. It's more likely they'll hurt Mist once you find her than help her return home."

Fog's feathers bristled and her tail slammed into the ground. "Come on." She trudged through the forest.

"Where?" Fendrel sped up to walk alongside her.

"I'm going to get Fragrance to apologize to you." She nodded as if convincing herself that this was really what she was going to do.

Venom sighed. "Hold on, Fog. He won't apologize. It's just the way he is."

Fog halted. Her wings sank. "I've just never seen him act like that before. He's always so nice whenever I've seen him at meetings."

The dusk dragon came up on her other side. "He tries to make a good impression on you, so if he ever got into trouble, you would vouch for him."

Fendrel peeked out from around Fog. "If he's such an anti-human activist, then why is he even a noble? I thought the king, or his parents, would've made sure good dragons were in power. Do they agree with him because of the War Across the Sea?"

Venom snorted. "No, they trust him because he's a snake who gets on everyone's good side, then he slanders your name when you see him as he truly is."

Fendrel raised his eyebrows. "You sound like you're speaking from experience."

"I almost lost my position as a noble years ago due to his sly games. And unfortunately, young Cloud is as naïve as his father was. He believes Fragrance truly cares for him and Mist." Venom shook his head. "We should get back to finding Mist. The sooner we finish here, the sooner we can leave this place." He shook off a leaf that his claws had punctured.

Thea put her hands on her hips. "We already checked what we could. You said yourself that you couldn't smell her. Where else is there to look?"

Fendrel shrugged. "I don't think she's here, but if she is, she's somewhere we haven't checked yet."

"There is one major spot we overlooked." Venom grinned, his eyes alight with mischief.

"And that would be?" Thea waved her hand for him to continue.

A sly grin pulled at the corners of Venom's mouth. "Fragrance's living quarters."

Fendrel's eyes flashed with excitement. "This should be fun."

Thea and Fog shared a look.

"Wait. We're going to intrude?" Fog's wings flared out.

"Fantastic." Fendrel clapped his hands. "When?"

"Definitely while Fragrance is still away being preened, so while we still have daylight. We may only have about an hour left." Venom looked at Thea and Fog. "Why don't you two investigate the more remote spots with Oliver and Viper once more? We'll meet you back here when you're done."

"Okay, but we don't even know where those are." Thea waved around at the surrounding forest.

"I can show you."

The group turned in the voice's direction.

Birch, who stood still and blended into the sprinkling of birch trees around them, moved toward them.

Thea jumped. "You scared me!"

Birch cocked his head to the side. "Really? His Magnificence always says I'm not scary enough to be a guard like most tree mimics."

Venom stared at the young dragon. "How much of our conversation did you hear?"

"Not much, but I need a break from His Magnificence. He won't let me wash the powder off my snout, something about it making him look more fabulous if those around him aren't as presentable." The floral dragon fiddled with a stick between his talons.

"Hm, I suppose you can help. Guide these ones through the forest." Venom gestured at the group, besides Fendrel.

"Yes, Your Grace." Birch bowed low. He led Thea, holding Viper, and Oliver through the trees.

Fog looked back at Fendrel and Venom. "Please don't get into too much trouble." She hurried to catch up with Birch.

"Let's go." Venom moved into the forest.

Fendrel walked beside him, heading away from the others.

Venom shifted his wings. "That was odd. I've never been bowed to before or called 'Your Grace.' What is Fragrance teaching his poor citizens?"

<~><~><~>

POV: Cassius

Someone is definitely trying to kill me.

The prince held a note in his shaking hands. It had been sticking out from under his pillow just enough so he noticed it. He whispered it to himself again, drinking in every word. "You shouldn't stick your nose where it doesn't belong. I know you've been following me, rat. Stay out of my business and I'll keep my blade away from your neck."

No name.

Is this Zoricus' doing? He wasn't here to put the note on my bed... maybe he had one of his friends put this here, Cassius thought. I'd have to get some of his writing and compare-

He stopped his thoughts short.

"That's what got me into trouble in the first place."

The prince crumpled the small piece of paper and dropped it on the ground. He felt light-headed. It wasn't a secret that Zoricus had turned the public's favor away from Cassius years ago, but he'd never received death threats before, so this note couldn't have come from a citizen.

Cassius paced his bedroom, shaking out his hands. His chest felt like it was full of stone.

"I need help. Who would help me?"

He found himself at his window and looked down at the city of Sharpdagger. He gazed at the gates where wanted posters were always hung.

"The Liberator." Cassius' eyes shone with reverence. "He hates Zoricus."

Cassius stepped out of his room, closing the door behind him. His guards, who rarely followed him and were always glad to have a break, stood professionally at the door's sides. "Take me to my father, I wish to say my final goodbyes. I doubt it will be long now."

The knights nodded. Two lead the way while the other two walked behind Cassius.

<~><~><~>

POV: Fendrel

Venom and Fendrel slinked through the forest toward Fragrance's living quarters. Dead leaves littered the ground, making stealth difficult.

At least there aren't any other dragons around. Venom would have said something if there were.

The dusk dragon stopped in his tracks.

Fendrel quickly crouched beside him. "You hear something?"

Perking his ears, Venom stayed unnaturally still. He relaxed. "Just a deer." He jutted his chin at a lonely buck strutting by a small creek.

They resumed their advance.

"What do his living quarters look like?" Fendrel looked about.

Venom snorted. "You'll know it when you see it."

They caught sight of a cluster of citrus trees which grew to form a spherical home made of branches, leaves, and fruits. Two small gurgling waterfalls framed the trees and branched off to the rest of Fresh Grove.

Venom helped Fendrel climb into the home's circular opening, then jumped in behind him.

Jewelry and decorations dressed the walls while rugs covered the floors. In the center, a large stump had been placed and made to fit in the floor.

Fendrel peered all around and helped Venom lift rugs.

"I don't see any clues." Fendrel dropped one end of a rug.

"Neither do I. Let's check the surrounding area." Venom leapt down from the home and helped Fendrel down.

They circled the tree cluster. Fendrel stooped down at a spot behind the house. He pointed. "Here. The dirt is churned up."

The darkened earth was spread out in a wide area. A chill went down Fendrel's spine. "Would Fragrance have... buried Mist?"

Venom shook his head. "He's not a murderer, and he wouldn't have made another dragon kill her. Besides, this area is too small to be Mist."

"Should we still dig it up?" Fendrel looked up at Venom.

"I'll probably only get to do this once." Venom scooped dirt with his huge claws.

Fendrel helped, though his efforts were outshined by Venom's. He came to a stop when his fingers drug across a smooth slab of wood with words in draekonik neatly carved into it.

"I've got something here." Fendrel uncovered the rest of the slab and pulled it out of the ground. He picked mud out of some of the letters. Venom crouched in the dirt beside him and looked over his shoulder.

I sent my scouts out to the remains of Stone Edge. They came back empty again. I'm growing tired of finding nothing. That strange creature told me repeatedly that I would find "something life-altering" there. He is going to get an earful the next time we meet, or perhaps a bloodstream full of acidic venom.

- Fragrance

Fendrel stared at the bark in confusion. "What the—"

"Fendrel."

Something in Venom's voice made Fendrel's head snap up.

Venom had left his side while he read. His claws were muddier than before, and a dirty head-sized rock was cradled in his paw. He held the rock out toward Fendrel who stared at it with a quizzical expression.

There was a word carved messily into it, "Axella." Fendrel dropped the slab of wood, shaking with fury. He grit his teeth. "Why does he have that?"

"What is it?"

Fendrel took a moment to respond. "I used that for Mother's headstone the day after the rogue attacked."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13 0 5
Morexa's ancestors were sent to the grave to keep the world safe. Now, Morexa the merchant must ask herself if she deserves to live in a world that h...
10.6K 1.7K 65
|𝔹𝕠𝕠𝕜 𝕋𝕨𝕠 𝕠𝕗 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕊𝕠𝕦𝕝-𝔹𝕠𝕦𝕟𝕕 ℂ𝕙𝕣𝕠𝕟𝕚𝕔𝕝𝕖𝕤| |Updates once per week on the weekends| The veil separating the realms has weak...
560K 17.3K 34
You all know the old fairy-tale's where an evil and cruel dragon kidnaps the princess because of her beauty and then knights in shinning armour arriv...
18 5 31
A story of a chosen group, that goes off and saves other worlds and realms, that seem to never end, the possibilities are endless. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...