Do opposites really attract?

By Barneybear123

A story which discovers the lives of two individuals, Manik Malhotra and Nandini Murthy. Poles apart from eac... More

Introduction
Prologue
Character sketch
Chapter 1 - Acheivements and mishaps!
Chapter 2 - First meetings!
Chapter 3 - "Expect the unexpected!"
Chapter 4 - "Goodbye for now!"
Chapter 5 - Forced Meetings!
Chapter 6 - Jab they met, once again!
Chapter 7 - An agreement gone wrong!
Chapter 8 - Confusions cleared!
Chapter 9 - "My date for the night!"
Chapter 10 - "She's already taken!"
Chapter 11 - Dancing away!
Chapter 12 - Late night conversations!
Chapter 13 - Hidden secrets!
Chapted 14 - Letting it all out!
Chapter 15 - New friends!
Chapter 16 - Just friends?
Happy international women's day!!!
Chapter 17 - Match day!
Chapter 18 - Cute conversations!
Chapter 19 - The mystery girl
Chapter 20 - The professional relationship
Chapter 21 - Falling for her!
Chapter 22 - Manik's Princess
Chapter 24 - Jealous? No way!
Chapter 25 - The confused souls
Chapter 26 - Give love a chance
Chapter 27 - The journey
Chapter 28 - A work of fate or something more?
Chapter 29 - Seeking answers!
Chapter 30 - Preparing for Valentine's day!
A thought that's been on my mind!
Chapter 31 - Our first Valentine's day
Chapter 32 - Revealing the past
Chapter 33 - "Give me a chance too"
Chapter 34 - Their special Announcement
Chapter 35 - The perks of dating a cricketer!
Author's Note
Chapter 36 - Not insecure, simply worried!
Your help needed!
Chapter 37 - Curious not Jealous
Chapter 38 - Love like no other
Chapter 39 - They know about us.
Chapter 40 - Back to Bay
Chapter 41 - Is marriage on the cards?
Chapter 42 - Supporting my love

Chapter 23 - A new friend!

3.7K 513 89
By Barneybear123

"Doctor Chachi!!! Yayyy!" Amayra screamed as I approached her, Zoya, and Aditya.

"Amayra baby! It's masi!" Zoya explained to her daughter as she smirked at Manik.

"Oh yesssshhhh. Sorry!" She said as she held her ears.

"It's okay baby. It's lovely to meet you again." I said as I pulled her cheeks and gave her a kiss.

"How are you Nandini?" Zoya said as she took me in a hug.

"I'm amazing di! Hope you are too!" I replied chirpily.

"I'm here also! Mujh sai bhi koi milo!" Aditya said.

"Of course! How can I forget about you?" I said as he took me in for a hug.

"So what's the scene between you two then?" Aditya asked.

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"Oh don't act innocent! We've seen the news!" He stated.

"The news isn't always true!" Manik exclaimed.

"Fair point! But I've observed you both together." He said.

"Bhai, there's no scene between us! We're just spending time together getting to know each other. She's starting to become a good friend of mine." Manik explained.

"A good friend who he day dreams about every single day!" Virat said as he walked up to us with Anushka by his side.

"Virat! Not funny!" Manik said sternly.

"Boys will be boys! Lovely to see you again Nandini!" Anushka said as she took me in for a hug.

"Lovely to see you too Anushka, and I must say you look gorgeous tonight!" I replied with a smile. She was looking breathtakingly gorgeous in that dusty pink gown.

"You don't look any less! Ooooh matching crowns eh?" She said with a smirk as she noticed mine and Manik's crowns.

"Oh it was Ziva!" I explained.

"You know Nandini, children never lie. She clearly thought you were the perfect princess for her uncle Manik." Anushka said with a smirk.

"It's nothing like that!" I exclaimed.

"Yo everyone! Meet my princess for the night!" Hardik said as he approached us with a familiar figure.

"Rose??" Manik questioned.

"Yeahh! I'm single, she's single! Besides, someone stole my princess and someone stole her prince." Hardik said with a smirk. He was trying to crack a joke but none of us found it funny.

"Exactly! I did not expect this from you Manik!" Rose said with a sad pout. Rose is after Manik since years, but Manik has never shown an interest in her.

"Enough messing around guys. This is a party, everybody chill out! Manik, Hardik, Aditya, come let's meet the rest of the boys!" Virat said as he dragged the boys away. Rose too left to do her own thing. I was left with Anushka and Zoya.

"Sure, let's go! Nandini you'll be fine right?" Manik asked before he left.

"Manik, I'm not a kid! I'll be fine!" I replied. It was so sweet of him to care.

"So Nandini! Spill it out!" Anushka exclaimed as soon as the boys were out of sight.

"Spill what?" I asked innocently but I knew where this was going.

"How do you feel about Manik?" She asked.

"He's a lovely person! Extremely talented and a cricket superstar." I replied genuinely.

"No nandini! What do you really feel about him? Everyone knows he's talented and an amazing cricketer! But what do you think of him as a person? What does your heart have to say?" She was digging deeper, she wanted answers.

"Well I didn't think I'd ever say this but the first time I saw him, I thought he was extremely arrogant, stubborn, and rude! But then I realised he's actually a very caring, loving, and kind hearted person. The little time I've spent with him feels like years. I feel so comfortable around him and that is so rare. I normally don't open up to many people but with him I feel comfortable in sharing everything. He's such a good listener and gives me some awesome advice too. More importantly, he's understanding! He understand me like no one else. He understands why I behave in certain ways, why I fear relationships, he understands why I'm so career focused, he understands everything. I used to stay away from men, I feared it would get in the way of my career. But Manik, I can't get myself to stay away from him. I don't know why I'm feeling like this, but I enjoy spending time with him. I enjoy his company. He's an amazing friend and I'll always cherish him." I honestly replied. It was true, Manik meant so much to me. He had really come into my life and changed my perspective on many things.

"That made me quite emotional. I'm not surprised to hear such sweet words about Manik. He's a charmer. He is such a kind hearted man. But you Nandini, I admire you so much too. I see Manik as a younger brother and I want the best for him. Nandini, Manik truly deserves someone so loving like you in his life, but you equally deserve to have a man like Manik by your side." Anushka said softly.

"I agree with Anushka. We don't know the future of your relation. But I know that if you two were to get together then you'll make the best devrani to me, the best Chachi to Amayra, the second best daughter to mum and dad and second best bhabhi to Mukti because well obviously I'm the first best. On a serious note, I really hope things work out between you two." Zoya di said with a smile. Her words meant a lot me.

"Thank you for your sweet wishes but don't you think you're thinking too ahead. I may have started to look at marriage more positively but that does not mean I'm ready for it. Besides I don't know if this is love. I mean, what is love? And I don't know if Manik loves me either." I didn't realise what I said, the ladies looked at me with a smirk and I mentally cursed myself. Nandini, you need to think a billion times before you speak.

"Well Nandini love is when you see that person a smile forms on your face without a reason. When that person is hurt, you feel hurt. When they are happy, you're happy. You cannot imagine a day without them. Distance feels horrible, but it only makes your love stronger. You feel comfortable in sharing things with that person that you wouldn't share with anyone else. You want to wake up to them everyday and sleep cuddling them every night. I can go on and on. You'll know when you're in love. When that day comes, I want you to tell me and we'll celebrate together. Once you find true love Nandini, don't let it go for anyone or anything or you'll really regret it." Zoya explained beautifully.

"Well I'll keep that in mind. Enough talking about me and Manik and our complicated relationship. Let's grab some food, I'm starving!" I said in an attempt to avoid the topic. I don't know what mine and Manik's relationship is, but I don't want to complicate matters by giving it a name. I'm happy with the way things are going right now.

We all helped ourself to the buffet that was being served. Manik was busy with his boys and that's okay. I wouldn't expect him to roam around me all the time. Us girls had lots of fun together too. It was fun listening about Anushka's new movie and Zoya bhabhi And Aditya's love story. It was fun telling them about my job and how I became a doctor. I felt super comfortable with these ladies. Through Manik, I have had the chance to meet some amazing people. I couldn't thank him enough for that. Soon after, an announcement was made. After the kids had their share of dancing  the couples were called onto the dance floor. Manik, Virat, and Aditya all came to us. Manik took his hand in mine and we walked to the dance floor. Soft music was playing in the background, big smiles on both our faces, and peace was present in the air. We were all having a lovely time dancing with our partners. The DJ then announced a twist.

"We're gonna be swapping partners everytime the song changes." The DJ spoke in the microphone. Why? I'm comfortable in dancing with Manik, why do we need to swap for? The song soon came to an end and me and Manik reluctantly let go off each other. I was spun around by Manik and ended up in front of Virat. Virat has always been really sweet and welcoming to me. He smiled as he forwarded his hand towards me. I smiled back and placed my hand in his. We had a sweet little dance. Manik was dancing with Zoya bhabhi. How sweet! I love their bhabhi devar bonding.

"Has anyone ever told you, you're tiny! My hands feel gigantic in front of yours!" Virat said to which I giggled.

"All the time! Though she be but little, she is fierce!" I said dramatically as I quoted one of my favourite authors.

"Shakespeare? Love it!" He said with a smile as he acknowledged the Shakespearean reference.  I love people who understand my literature references.

"Love him!" I said excitedly.

"Who? Manik?" He said with a smirk.

"No! Shakespeare!" I explained.

"I know! Mazaak kar raha hoon!" He said with a giggle.

The music stopped and I was spun around again.

"It was a pleasure to have a dance with you!" Virat said with a sincere smile as he spun me around. I smiled before moving onto my next partner. When I saw my next partner, I was shocked. It was M.S. Dhoni. He's a legend. I may not be a fan of cricket, but I have heard so much about him. I mean, who hasn't? I stood still in my place taking a moment for it all to sink in.

"Don't worry! I don't bite!" Dhoni said with a giggle which broke my attention.

"Of course! Sorry I'm just..."

"Shocked?" He questioned.

"Yes, shocked!" I replied nervously.

"Well don't be! I think I'm a nice person!" He replied.

"I know you are!" I agreed.

We started dancing and I saw Sakshi giving me a wide encouraging smile. She was currently dancing with Virat. I looked back at Dhoni and we carried on our conversation.

"But Manik, he's an amazing person!" Dhoni said as he looked at Manik who was currently dancing with Ritika, Rohit Sharma's wife. She was a pretty woman and they looked like they both shared a friendly bond.

"He is. He really is." I replied still staring at Manik.

"A little secret about Manik, he doesn't fully open up to many people. Only a few get to see the fun, loving, and caring side of his. On the field, people see him as a focused and stern man. In reality, he's got a child alive in him which only comes out around the ones he loves and cherishes. If you've seen that side of him Nandini, then don't let go of him because I know he will hold onto you forever. This may sound weird coming from me but I've seen him grow from an immature and clumsy 18 year old to an extremely talented, professional and kind gentleman." Dhoni said catching my attention. I suddenly felt myself staring at Dhoni, but my thoughts were elsewhere. Dhoni's words repeated in my head, "he'll hold onto you forever". I smiled at his words and then spun around to Aditya.

I haven't met Aditya that many times but I do know that him and Manik are very different personalities. Aditya is so calm and Manik is crazy. They are both amazing humans though.

"Finally a moment with the lady who has made my brother insane!" Aditya said with a smirk.

"Excuse me?" I questioned.

"All he talks about is you. As soon as your name comes up in a conversation, a huge smile spreads on his face. I can't have a normal conversation with him without a mention of you. My brother, he's crazy after you!" Aditya said making me slightly embarrassed.

"I'm sorry Mr Malhotra I didn't mean to...."

" Firstly, I was joking. Stop feeling guilty. Secondly, Mr Malhotra? Seriously? why so formal? You can call me bhai." He said with a smile.

"Really?" I questioned.

"Of course. You're like my Mukti to me. Don't tell her that though, she wouldn't want to share her bhai with anyone else." Aditya said to which we both laughed.

"I promise I won't!" I said as we carried on dancing. I was then spun around into the arms of Hardik. Great! I gave him a small smile as I placed my hand in his. I tuned to look at Manik who was dancing with Rose. He flinched a little when he saw me with Hardik, but then pulled Rose closer to him as he saw me place my other hand on Hardik's shoulder. Why would he do that? There was no need to dance so close to her! Hardik then approached to place his hands on my waist when I gave him a stern look. He understood the look and kept his hands near my waist but did not touch me.

"Ahhh, it's because of Manik. Isn't it?" Hardik said with a smile.

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"The look you gave screamed don't touch me Pandya or I will harm you!" Hardik said.

"Was it that bad of a look?" I asked.

"Yes!" He replied.

"I'm sorry. It's not what I meant, I don't know what got into me. I just saw Manik and..."

"And you didn't want to upset him. You knew if I touch you he won't like it." He completely my sentence for me. He was right, I didn't want to upset him.

"Yeah I guess." I mumbled.

"But Nandini, technically he has no right to be upset. You guys aren't officially together so you can dance with who you like. Besides, he's not maintaining a distance with Rose either." Hardik said as he looked towards Manik and Rose. His hands were on her waist and her hands on his chest. She was literally throwing herself on him, Manik wasn't exactly flirting with her but he wasn't doing anything to stop her from being all over him either. An unknown tear made its way down my cheek as I saw the sight in front me.

"Nandini I think you're an amazing girl, and I want the best for you. If you like Manik, tell him. Because until you don't, girls will keep throwing themselves on him and try their chances." He said as he wiped the tear off my face. I smiled at him and placed his hands on my waist.

"Is this to make him jealous?" Hardik said with a smirk.

"No, I would never use someone to make another person jealous. This is to forward a hand of friendship. You're a lovely guy Hardik, and I hope you find a lovely girl soon. So friends?" I said as I took a step back and forwarded my hand.

"Friends!" He said as he took me in a warm hug. The music stopped and we came out of our hug. I felt a sudden grip on my hand. The person pulled me away from the dance floor towards a quiet corner.

A/N: Chapter 23 updated! Hope you all enjoyed it. I hope you guys are liking the current story track. Do let me know your thoughts. Have a lovely week ahead. Lots of love ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

115K 7.7K 23
Two Souls Craving for True Love.....❤ Two souls Separated Due to Circumstances.... Missing Each Other....... Will their thirst of love ever be satisf...
14.5K 1.3K 12
▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️ Nandini Kashyap was a pampered child of a prominent political family in New Delhi. Her life was all about fighting with her cousin and cre...
457K 25.2K 51
A Mafia love story featuring Manik and Nandini. Manik Malhotra who is a dangerous mafia who does not think twice before killing anyone, his paths cro...
77.5K 4.5K 17
Hello guys am starting my new story of Manan. Let's meet our Mr Manik Malhotra CEO of Malhotra industries, rude to outside world but sweet to his fa...