Dark Despair (Book 2: Togethe...

By queennightfurious

"We're training everyone to ride dragons." Drago is back and has allied with Grimmel. Sky is the alpha, she i... More

Trigger Warnings
Prologue
Denial
Forgiveness
The First Rescue
The Rescues
Alive
Reveals
Preparing for War
Setting sail
The Hidden World
War Cry
Love on the Battlefield
Grimmel and Drago
Worth it?
Aftermath of War
Fish makes us Understand
Dreamchaser
Soulmates
Toothless's Welcome
Memories
Dragon Lady
Snoggletog
A/N #1
Delta
Magnar
Trillium
Captive
A/N #2
Too close
The Mist Disperses
Saving Mist
A/N #3
Chieftess
A/N #4
My life is CURSED
So close
Hiccup's Alive
And... He's back
Lessons and Setbacks
Seeing you again
Character guide

Defenders

100 2 1
By queennightfurious

Astrid's POV

It'd been a year and a half since Hiccup had disappeared. 

Stormfly and I were flying over a decently sized island. We saw a small village on one side swarming with people wearing black suits. There was a very clearly active volcano as well. How the village still stood was a mystery to me.

"What do you say, check it out?" I asked Stormfly.

"Sure, just let's check it out stealthily."

"Okay, spy in the forest until we know if they like dragons."

Stormfly nodded. 

We flew down into the forest.

We were getting really close to the village when I felt a prick in the back of my neck.

When I woke up I found that I was no longer wearing my Nadder mask. I tried to stand up but found that I was tied up by ropes. "STORMFLY!!!!!" I yelled.

"Astrid? Is that you? This fruit is aammmaaaazzzzzziiiiiiinnnnnnngggggg. It makes me sooooooooo happy."

"Good, you're awake." A woman asked me.

"What do you want from me?"

"I want to know why you were sneaking around my village."

"Stormfly and I wanted to know your feelings towards dragons before meeting you."

"Or... are you a spy sent from Viggo Grimborn to destroy us."

"I hate Viggo as much as any dragon lover."

"Well... if you're a dragon lover. Then you'll have to pass our trust test."

"Fine, I'll take the test."

"Just know that no-one has ever passed."

"Then I'll just be the first."

"Let's go. The trust trial will begin."

The woman I'd been talking to seemed to be the leader of this island.

She led us into a dark cave lined with lights. They untied my hands and pushed me into a hole which also had a cave leading up to it.

I listened carefully and heard the wind and patters of dragon claws against stone. Speed Stingers. Okay, plan... Speed Stingers respect people who are fast. Out manoeuvre them and they'll leave you alone, that is if you don't hurt them or threaten them.

The first speed stinger emerged, its eyes gleaming with anticipation. I smiled back at it.

The rest of the pack came out and I was ready. Ready for a dangerous dance. One scratch from their tails and I'd be dead there was no room for error.

The leader signalled the pack to attack and they did so in a single fluid motion.

The first tail struck at me and a twirled out of the way. The next one came but I ducked and it hit a different speed stinger instead. Freezing it in place.

I stayed on the defensive not ever attacking just keeping out of the way of their tails.

20 minutes later and it was just me and the leader. It smiled, "Give up, hunter. You're tiring."

I was indignant. Hunter? Hunt-er? "No. I won't harm you."

"You speak our language? What business does a hunter have in speaking dragonease?"

"I'm not a hunter."

The Speed Stinger scoffed, "Prove it."

I smiled in relief. I put out my hand and turned my head away.

The speed stinger gasped. I was confused and when I turned around she was bowing to me.

"What are you doing?"

"Your highness! I'm truly sorry! I didn't know!"

"What? I'm no princess."

"But, you are! You are the to-be-mate of the prince! He trusts you very much. And he would never harm dragons. That makes you a princess. I'm deeply sorry."

"Stop. I don't want you to bow. I just don't want to die."

"What are you doing?" The women asked.

"Ummm... trying to pass this test. What does it look like?"

"Like you've gone mad." The soldier beside her said.

The Speed Stinger from before quickly shot up and growled at the man while brandishing her tail, "Say that again! I dare you!"

Everyone stared at the speed stinger in shock. 

"For your information, strange-hostile-man-whom-I've-never-met. I have not gone mad. I was talking to her and I still have not yet mastered their language, so yes I do still have to say some words in Norse."

They looked at me then and the Lead Speed Stinger started brandishing her tail at all of them.

"Give me the word, princess and I'll finish them off."

"Stop calling me that! And we're not going to kill them."

"Fine, then I'll teach them a lesson!"

"No! You are not!"

"AND WHY NOT?"

"BECAUSE they haven't done ANYTHING!"

"Why are you yelling at her?" The leader asked.

I didn't answer I just continued to stare down the Speed Stinger and she stared back. We were locked in a staring contest. "FINE! I won't kill or harm them."

"Good. Now, what's your name?"

"Breeze. What's yours?"

"Astrid."

"Hmmm... suits you."

I smiled, "Yours does, too. The only one who was able to stay standing." She smiled. 

"Of course, I stayed standing. I didn't get to where I am for nothing. Anyway, I need to go my pack is waking up. And you must go, too it seems. Good luck on your quest, Astrid."

It took me a second to register what she said and I said, "How did you-" but she was already gone.

I stood there for a second in shock until a voice cut through my thoughts, "That was eventful." The guard said.

"That it was." The leader replied.

"Does this mean I passed?"

"Oh, yes! Sorry, that was shocking. I'm Mala, queen of the Defenders of the Wing. This is Throk he is my personal guard." She threw my helmet back at me and I put it on my head before starting to climb out of the hole. 

I spoke while climbing, "I'm Astrid. I come from Berk, although we are no longer at war with the dragons. In fact, we've become the best of friends. My Deadly Nadder is Stormfly. And that wonderful Speed Stinger is called Breeze."

"So... you can truly talk to them?" Mala asked.

I finally reached the top and put my helmet under my arm, "Yes. I can."

"You seem troubled. Is something wrong?"

"No. I'm fine. I was just wondering why Stormfly was acting so weird earlier. She said something about some fruit that is amazing. Except she drew out the word amazing into way too many syllables."

"Oh, yes. That would be the sage fruit." She responded.

"The what, now?"

"Sage fruit, it makes dragons super calm, docile and happy." The man called Throk said.

"Ohhhh... That makes sense. I've never heard of it before, but it definitely fits what happened to Stormfly."

"So, what brings you here anyway?"

My smile faded and at that exact moment, Stormfly walked up. She was still acting weird, but the second she saw my face she walked over to me and nuzzled me, trying to make me feel better.

As I scratched Stormfly's scales I started my story, "About a year and seven months ago. My fiancé and I were flying back to his home. We came across a lone fishing boat and he decided to investigate it. His brother came in time to save him by pushing him out of the way of the arrows and nets. His brother was captured during the attack and I declared war upon Drago and Grimmel. Have you heard of them?"

"No, who are they?" Mala asked.

"They were the two biggest threats to all dragons. Grimmel also known as the Fury Killer killed about 80% of the Light Fury population and so many Night Furies that there are only ten?"

"No, I think twelve."

"Twelve Night Furies left, that we know of," I amended. "And Drago he was the Dragon Conqueror. He captured every dragon he came across and used them to create a dragon army to control the world. A month after Toothless's, my fiancé's brother's, capture we went to war and won. My fiancé killed Grimmel while I took care of Drago. We had help. But, my fiancé ended u trying to kill him alone after Toothless was knocked out."

"If you don't mind me asking-"

"He's gone. Vanished. Disappeared. I've been looking for him for the past year and six months. He fell into the ocean when taking down Grimmel. The rest of his family thinks he's dead. Stormfly and I are the only ones still looking. We came across your island on our search."

"Well, surely he must be dead if he fell into the ocean and no-one saw him come up-"

"He's not."

"Not this again." Said, Stormfly and she rolled her eyes.

"How do you know that?" Throk demanded.

"Firstly, he's not your typical human."

"What do you mean?" Mala asked curiously.

"He's the Dragon Prince. He can understand dragons and speak their language, but he can also change into a Night Fury." They stared at me. "And second of all, I know he's not dead because I heard him four months ago."

"Then why didn't you go to him, then?"

"Because I heard him in my mind not with my ears."

I turned and walked away with my helmet under my arm, and I heard Throk say, "That woman is a spitfire." 

And Mala replied, "Agreed."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

227K 4.5K 34
Banished from Berk for befriending a Night Fury, Hiccup and Toothless leaves Berk and they are never to return. They find civilisation on another vi...
14.1K 596 17
OneArtsyGamer03 here, lovelies Republishing of How to Protect Your Dragon <3 ... Ah, Berk. The perfect island where Vikings and dragons can live in p...
97K 2K 25
There is dragon in Berk... But what if there is ... A half-dragon and a half-human... A white night fury who all human want to kill if they met you...
220K 6.9K 18
Everyone on Berk believes Toothless to be the last Night Fury, the only one of his kind left. But all that changes when a black dragon appears on the...