Til Death Do Us Part.

By Cammy2418

You were his wife in the 40's through thick and thin, sickness and health, richer or poorer, and through all... More

1943.
Unrequited.
Final Night.
1A.
Reunion.
Lost In Snow.
21st Century.
Awakening.
3 Items.
Unspoken.
Beneath The Moonlight.
A Little Run In.
Haunting Nostalgia.
The Cruelest Thing...
Memories.
Options.
Soldat.
Triggered.
A Good Show.
Goodbye Isn't Farewell.
Remembrance.
After Ultron.
Over Coffee.
Sokovia Accords.
A House Divided.
Bucharest.
Terror's.
"It Always Ends in a Fight."
Stand Down.
Cuffed.
Falling Out.
Red.
Rampage.
Aftermath.
Guilt.
Civil War.
Escape.
Snow Covered Memories.
December 16, 1991.
Betrayal.
The Beginning Of...
Months Later.
Peace...(?)
Champagne and Scotch.
Catching Up.
Soldier's Of War.
Invasion.
Thunder.
The Calm...
Ashes, Ashes.
Dream.
Sleepless.
The Return.
No Trust.
To The Garden.
All Hope Lost.
5 Years Later.
Casualties.
House Call.
A Second Chance.
Desperate Times.
Getting The Gang Back Together.
It Worked.
Time Heist.
The Hours Before Daybreak.
Whatever It Takes.
Improvising.
"Everyone Comes Home..."
Endgame.
Stand.
Assemble.
A Hero's Death.
Loss...
The End.

Old Friend.

16.3K 382 155
By Cammy2418

"Remember, you have to return the stones to the exact moment you got them or you're gonna open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities." The big green Scientist cautioned, his crippled right arm in a sling.

"Don't worry, Bruce. I'll take care of it." Steve replied, locking the case with the stones tight, his Time Travel suit sheathing over his body.

From within the sparse forest where we all stood I could see the gaping cavity in the earth left by the wrath of Thanos. The battle that occurred a mere few feet away feeling like ages ago instead of days. 

And, as the sunlight dappled across the wreckage I could hear the bulldozers at work, clearing up the area. The shredded battlefield and once home of the Avengers establishment quite a task to tidy up. 

In truth, it hurt to look over and see nothing but the decimated aftermath. Knowing so clearly what once was there. The grand fortress and home away from home that was the facility. The place the heroes had all sought out refuge within over so many years. 

It was gone, as was Tony and Natasha. Things had changed and for a little while there I really enjoyed being an Avenger. 

Jutting out of the grass laden plain was the newly constructed Quantum Tunnel. Atom stabilizers and solar panels accessorizing the titanium framed podium. 

The latest of Inter-Dimensional gateways powered up and all set for one final trek to the past. 

"If you'd like, James and I could go with you. It might be fun, us traveling through time together." I petitioned, standing beside Bucky as the Captain gazed into my eyes. 

"I thought you were done doing missions." He catechized. 

"Right. Force of habit." I faltered. 

"The fight is over, Becky. You and Buck, you two can settle down now." Steve illustrated, his words still a foreign concept to me. A beautiful concept I never was allowed to have become a reality. Until now. 

I watched as Bucky went up and hugged Steve, who reciprocated the gesture wholeheartedly. 

"I'm gonna miss you, buddy." Bucky let slip out, his voice rough, strained with sadness. A sorrow laced tone I didn't know the reason behind. 

"It's gonna be okay, Bucky. You two are going to be alright. You're going to be happy." Steve ensured, walking up the small flight of metal steps onto the platform. 

And, I followed. Trailing behind him as he carried the case full of Infinity Stones, Mjolnir at his side. 

"Almost ready?" We heard Bruce chime in, positioned behind the control panel. The Scientist using the tip of a pencil to type in a sequence of coordinates. 

The Captain nodded, his attention strained towards me again. 

"Goodbye, Becky." 

"Hey, no goodbyes remember? Besides, we'll be seeing you in a second anyway." I countered, seemingly blind to the telltale signs that something was going to happen. 

His sky shaded gaze stared at me, full of love, longing and sadness as he tried to put on a brave face. 

"Goodbye." Steve said again, leaning down to gently place a kiss on my cheek. His lips briefly brushing against my skin before he turned away. 

"How long is this gonna take?" Sam suddenly brought up. 

"For him, as long as he needs. For us, five seconds." Bruce explained and that's when it started to dawn on me. 

Indeed, for Steve he was going to be gone a long, long time... 

"Alright, Cap. We'll meet you back here, okay?" The Scientist clarified, switching on a string of gauges and buttons, the Inter-Dimensional gateway whirring to life. 

"Going Quantum in 3, 2, 1..." Bruce announced, the Advanced-Tech suits helmet closing in around Steve's face, hammer and briefcase in his hand. 

And, before my mouth could catch up to the realization that echoed in my mind Steve vanished. The prismatic tunnel swallowing him whole before I could even object. 

"And, returning in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1,..." The big green guy reported, towering over the console. But, the Captain didn't come back. 

"Where is he?" An obviously concerned Sam blurted out. 

"I don't know. He blew right by his time stamp," Bruce responded, eyes fixated on the screens laid out before him. "He should be here." 

But, before I could allow myself to feel the tremendous weight of my dear friends absence I suddenly felt a metal hand clasping around my own flesh and bone one. 

"Doll, it's okay. Look." Bucky spoke up, making my gaze stray towards him, or more importantly towards where he was looking. 

There sitting on a stone bench by the waters edge was an old man. His smaller frame outlined by the light of day. 

Cautiously, Bucky and I made our way over. And, while Bucky stood I took a seat beside my dear friend who now outwardly looked like the old man he truly was on the inside. 

Wrinkles creased along his face, his hair silvery gray and age spots dotted along his hands. But, still he was Steve. The man I had always known, who had missed his time stamp on purpose. 

Finally, God's righteous man got a chance to live without a War and I couldn't be happier. 

The things that were stolen from him the second he put on that shield and became, in the eyes of others, a hero instead of a man; he finally got to experience them. He finally got the peace he deserved. 

The world in it's callous cruelty had put Steve so high on a pedestal that no one saw each time he fell. Every time he broke. All the marks that had been scorched across his soul. No one dared to even ask how it felt to be in-humanized and made into a guardian angel for earth. 

For, instead they had always seen a novelty piece. A soldier. A shield. And, for many, many years now I had bared witness to those brutal facts up close. 

No one cared to see the old man who was suffering, not while a War needed to be fought. 

And, in truth, I was happy for my old friend. That he went back and finally got to live out his life as Steve Rogers rather than Captain America. 

I only wished I had been there... 

"So, Steven. How was it? The simple life." I choked out, the boy from Brooklyn now old and gray and still so familiar. 

"It was peaceful..." Steve answered, his voice hoarse, riddled with the years that had went by for him. 

"Ever marry?" I brought up, earning a small chuckle from the former Cap. 

"No, I didn't. I just wasn't a soldier." 

"You know, you really should of taken James and me with you. We could of all grown old together, the three of us. Back in the good, old days..." I expressed, a tight knot forming in my throat as I fought back the desire to cry. 

"Becky, I'm the past. That's all I'll ever be. But, you and Bucky? You two have a chance at a future. And, I'm not in that future anymore..." Steve disclosed, the shimmering reservoir glinting in his blue iris's. 

"Steve..." I croaked out, a couple of stray tears finally falling from my eyes as they streaked down my face. 

"While I was back, I picked up this..." He brought up, pulling out a circular leather-bound case and I watched as he untied it. The thing that was veiled inside being none other than Captain America's shield. 

"So, who's gonna be the Cap now?" I asked, wiping my eyes, but to no avail, the tears continued. 

I had lost so many years with my dear friend, and while I was happy for him I couldn't help but feel the sting of hurt as well. Loss never a kind emotion to have ensnared in your heart. 

With a small smile Steve glanced over at Bucky for a moment before focusing back on me. 

"The mantel is yours, Becky. If you want it. But, you deserve peace. Both and you and Bucky do. So, why don't you just hold onto the shield for me. And, when the time comes you get to decide..." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.4K 276 17
"We've been apart for so long and now we're finally together again, and I don't want to feel apart when we're together." Post-Endgame! A continuation...
2.8M 77.3K 44
"You know, for a Stark, you're not as annoying as I imagined." "You've imagined things about me, Barnes?" "Oh, I've imagined a whole lot of things ab...
79.4K 3.7K 11
Bucky, Steve and reader are best friends, their relationship spanning over decades filled with joy, traumas, and hardships that none of them could ev...
100K 3.2K 16
-๐Ÿงธ๐ŸŽ€๐Ÿงบ๐Ÿ’— โ๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜„๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐—ฑ ๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ด๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ ๐˜€๐—ผ ๐—ฑ๐—ผ ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ผ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฒโž -๐Ÿ•ฏโ›“๐Ÿฅ€๐Ÿ—ก โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”“ ๐—•๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐—ฒ ๐—ฅ๐—ผ๐˜€๐—ฒ ๐—๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐˜„...