The Beginning Of...

The isolated Kingdom of Wakanda served as the perfect refuge away from the News, and headlines

The isolated Kingdom of Wakanda served as the perfect refuge away from the News, and headlines. The African city generously allowing us to have a breather, and plan our next move. 

Everyone was welcoming, non-judgmental, and considerate enough to grant Bucky Asylum here for the time being to get the help he needed. The best, most affluent Doctors, and Scientists eager to aid in his recovery. 

The medical lab was tucked away, sandwiched between the lush vegetation, and natural wildlife. The advanced high-tech structure the complete polar opposite from the organic green foliage that surrounded it. 

The scenery nothing but fog, and rainforest turf for as far as the eye could see. 

I stepped inside the laboratory, the place crammed with the top of the line staff. The room pristine, futuristic, and filled to the brim with Wakanda's own technologically enhanced medical equipment. 

Past the swarm of white lab coats I saw Bucky seated at a hospital bed, a mesh black cap compressed around the remains of his silvery bionic shoulder. The white tank top he was wearing covering up the jagged scar where his flesh met the metal. 

And, there was Steve right beside him. The Captain looking just as worried, and as sad as I did. 

To us, it was like we were losing Bucky all over again even if temporarily, and for a good cause. For awhile at least, we'd still be without him again. 

A Doctor was setting up the Intravenous Therapy for Bucky, sanitizing his skin on the back of his hand, and hooking the clear bag onto the pole. 

"You sure about this?" I listened in on Steve's inquiry. 

"Until they figure out how to get this stuff out of my head I think going back under is the best thing... For everybody." Bucky trailed off, catching a glimpse of me, his expression softening. 

"Mind if I take over?" I asked the Doctor, already grabbing hold of the syringe. 

"Well-" The Physician began to resist, but Steve, knowing I'd like a minute alone, stepped in. 

"It's fine, Doc. Really. She's very capable." 

With that, Steve ushered the Wakandan away, giving us some time to ourselves. 

Gently, I stuck the needle in through one of Bucky's protruding veins on his hand. Then attaching the cannula I connected him to the infusion line, and bandaged him up to secure it in place. 

Bucky, used to all forms of discomfort didn't so much as wince at the 16-gauge needle that had been injected into his skin, and it always made me upset to see that. 

While the medication, and electrolytes dripped into Bucky's system I pulled out his wedding ring from my jackets pocket. 

"Did you intentionally get rid of this?" I joked, and his slate blue eyes lit up at the sight of his wedding band.