A Little Run In.

"You met Alexander Pierce yesterday?" Steve asked, his biceps tensing, and forearm muscles flexing as he held tightly onto the leather steering wheel, each tendon contouring with the pressure he was applying

"Yeah, he was... Pleasant." I callously muttered, not being able to conceal my apparent disenchantment as we drove down the highway together towards the S.H.I.E.L.D. base to see Nick Fury. 

"You don't sound like you like him that much." Steve quipped, the open sunroof of the car allowing creamy light to trickle down onto his face, and obvious grin. 

"There's something off about him. I don't really know what it is, but he just seemed untrustworthy. Call it a woman's intuition." 

"Well, I hope your intuition is wrong, Becky. He's a distinguished member of S.H.I.E.L.D." Steve added, causing me to raise my eyebrows in disbelief. 

The scorching daylight melted the pavement, making the road look like it was rippling, sagging in the heat. 

"Well, you'll like Nick. He's a good guy. A bit rough around the edges, wears an eyepatch like any badass does, but he just wants peace." 

"Language, Captain." I teased, remembering clearly how he used to lecture me whenever I swore back in the day. 

Steve laughed, an embarrassed rosy tinge spreading across his cheeks. 

"Okay, I deserve that one." 

I swallowed a laugh, my snickers escaping anyway at his abashment, but then all of a sudden, shoving aside our banter was a loud bang on the roof of Steve's car. Immediately causing Steve to veer off course down the freeway, swaying in, and out of the designated lines like a drunken man. 

Then a metal arm busted straight through the windshield, ripping the steering wheel clear out, tie rod, and pinion gear going with it. 

Shielding my eyes from the splashes of glass Steve slammed the brakes, causing the attacker to sail forward out into the street. My seat belts lock came on, uncomfortably feeling like it was piercing through my flesh, about to crush my ribcage. 

Unbuckling myself, Steve slid on his shield, and tossed me a hand gun. 

"Is this the only weapon you have in this vehicle!?" I shouted. 

"Yes, I don't expect to be ambushed by an assassin everyday!" Steve hollered back, a HYDRA swat car whisking towards us, about to ram into the trunk of his car. 

"You're Captain America! Your damn job is attacking bad guys, and this is it!?? You should be prepared for anything!" I yelled, the HYDRA vehicle behind us, smashing into the back, causing us to move forward again at an alarmingly fast pace, heading towards oncoming cars. 

"Yeah, okay! You can lecture me later. In the meantime the car is going to explode, so hold on!" Steve bellowed out, grabbing hold of me, and punching out the drivers side door. 

His shield took the main blow as we hopped out, and skidded across the cement road as if we were sledding on a mountain. 

Suddenly his car tripped onto itself, flipping into the air, and above us before crashing into a hoard of other vehicles in a mushrooming cloud of explosion. The fire billowing into the sky, the cars nothing, but charred up bits and pieces of engines, and automobile parts. The fuel from inside each one continuing to ignite, and set off more blasts. 

The commotion creating a panicking worry amongst all bystanders, impeding their own judgement. In a dead-ended buzz more, and more cars toppled over each other while others zoomed erratically out of the intersection, desperately trying to escape the chaos. 

The HYDRA swat vehicle zoomed towards us, not a scratch on it even after catapulting into Steve's car, and a gang of skilled assassins leapt out from inside. Starting immediately as if their lives depended on it, to shoot us, their rifles ablaze with the bullets discharging out of them.

Steve was protecting me from the scattering shots, his shield deflecting each bullet while he guided me behind the ruins of a few destroyed cars

Steve was protecting me from the scattering shots, his shield deflecting each bullet while he guided me behind the ruins of a few destroyed cars. The broken glass from every window, and windshield cracked beneath my boots, and the scent of gunpowder, and exhaust caged within my nose. The fumes from the flaming vehicles flowing up like grey streaks of paint. 

The HYDRA gunmen continued to blow holes through the wall of cars we were behind, the noise from the machinery ringing in my ears. 

"You go stop them." I hollered above the massacre of explosives bombarding us. 

"Will you be okay?" Steve asked, concern knitted across his face, and I just pushed him out from behind the coverage. 

"Yes, go!" 

A bit apprehensively Steve hurdled towards the hoard of assassins, the power in their rifle shots upping at his unexpected appearance. 

I crouched behind the barrier of vehicles, my back pressed against the ruptured glass of the passengers side car door. Waiting in deathly silence for someone to spot me, the anticipation enough to make me feel like my heart was going to jump right out of my chest. Waiting, gazing through a cracked side mirror, watching as a stray assassin fled from Steve, coming towards me. 

A mighty gun in his hands, spitting golden bullets at the blockage of cars I was behind. 

Peering out, I shot at him, or rather at his hand, causing the gun he was holding to skate across the highways street. 

Bee-lining out from behind the covering I sprinted into oncoming traffic, stealing the fallen gun, and tossed the injured man my now empty handgun. 

"Thank you." I said before finding cover behind a capsized bus this time, the passengers within it had already fled from the scene. 

Refilling the cartridge I hooked on the scope to the sniper, the screams from the many spectators biting at my eardrums. Many either hurt while caught up in the fray, or still trapped within their cars, and the utter pandemonium reminded me of war. 

Sliding across the road I heard the distinct roll of a grenade coming towards me, or rather towards the bus I was obscured behind. 

Dodging the quick blast I ran for cover away from the flourishing detonation of the grenade, blowing the bus into smithereens. 

Hastily, jumping off the highways bridge onto the street block beneath it I fell onto the roof of another car, creating a massive dent in my wake. 

I felt like a soldier again, outmatched, and scuffed up.