An American at Hogwarts

By CaptainSophieStark

Alexa Stark, daughter of Tony Stark (yes, Ironman. No, she can't help you meet him). She's always followed in... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Bonus Chapter-New York
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
SEQUEL
1 MILLION READS
Q&A Answers!

Chapter Fifty-Nine

10.2K 530 264
By CaptainSophieStark

We continued the muggle study session every single night leading up to our O.W.L.s.

It ended up being a good thing that I had Ana prepare enough answer devices for everyone in the school, because by the end of the first week every single fifth and seventh year student was participating, Slytherins included.

Some of the Slytherins were still jerks, and Oliver regularly screamed at Flint during their competitions, but the usual higher levels of hatred were put aside for the time being. We had a new common enemy (ridiculously hard tests) to distract us from being enemies with each other.

The muggle study methods were definitely helping, and I actually started to feel like I might be able to pass these stupid tests. By the time I got to dinner on Sunday the day before exams started, I felt like I was as prepared as I could possibly be.

"Are we doing another study session tonight Alexa?" asked Angelina, sagging in her seat with exhaustion as she looked over to me.

"Yeah, I think we better. I'm going to do my best to get people to bed early and do a little pep talk, too," I said. My brain was numb, and all I wanted to do was slump forward on the table and take a nap until exams were over, but that wasn't an option. I needed to stay awake and keep the energy up as much as I could, for everybody else's sake as much as mine.

Somehow, I'd become an official team leader for O.W.L.s and N.E.W.T.s, even though I was definitely the least experienced person in the school. But, since people decided to rally around me, I needed to do everything I could to encourage them and give them one last shot of energy before tests started.

Dinner wound down early as all the teachers and other students went to bed. The fifth and seventh years didn't budge from their seats, slouching at their tables and staring holes through the walls, barely aware of what was going on around them.

Once the last non-O.W.L.-and-N.E.W.T. stragglers had cleared out of the room, I took a deep breath. I felt exactly the same way everyone else in the room looked, but I couldn't let it show. I had stepped up to lead this thing, and now I needed to see it through and help the people that put their trust in me when I told them stupid muggle games were going to help them pass the most important tests of their lives.

"Alright guys, listen up," I called, stepping up to stand on the table like I had for that first study session. "Tests start tomorrow. I know we're all exhausted and panicked, but we've been killing ourselves working all year. We're smart, we've worked hard, and we've got this in the bag."

I paused and looked around the room, trying to make eye contact with everyone so they really believed my words.

"Since this is the last night, we're all going to play one round of Kahoot in each of the subjects we have tests on tomorrow, and then we're going to go to bed. We've studied all we can, so now it's time to trust ourselves and get some good rest so we can ace this shit tomorrow."

Everyone nodded, but they still looked pretty deflated. I didn't expect anything else, and I stepped off the table to help everyone move the tables into place for our Kahoots. For the fifth years, we had a Charms test in the morning and then some of us had an Ancient Runes test in the afternoon. Overall not bad, and with just one round of Kahoot people should be able to get good rest.

Kahoot managed to inject a little more life into the deflated Hogwarts students, and people looked more awake and aware by the time we put all the tables back and wrapped up.

"Alright guys, huddle up one last time before you head out," I called, motioning for everyone to make a circle around me. "Okay, first thing's first, awesome job tonight. You're all killing it, and I know the test is going to be no different. If you can handle the high pressure do-or-die environment of Kahoot, you can handle any test this school can throw at you."

A few people around the circle breathed a small laugh, and most of the others gave me weak smiles.

"I know the whole test environment is super intense and the stress can get to people's heads, but if you start freaking out, just take like ten seconds to pause, close your eyes, and take deep breaths. You're all ridiculously smart and you've got these tests in the bag. Show them who's boss.

"Second, you need sleep. One of the best ways to make sure we all pass with flying colors tomorrow is to make sure we all get a good night's sleep. I know that's not easy, but do whatever works for you to get to sleep. Set your alarms for tomorrow morning and then go straight to bed. Absolutely no staying up to study more. You've done all you can do."

I looked around the circle, making threatening eye contact with people. In my head, I realized I didn't really have the authority to tell the seventh years what to do, but they were all nodding along at my instructions anyway. Even Marcus Flint.

"Okay, finally, we need fuel to do a good job on our tests tomorrow. I want to see every person here in the Great Hall tomorrow morning, together. Executive decision right now: we're starting our day with a team breakfast and getting one last huddle hype session before we go take our tests. Deal?"

Everyone nodded, and I smiled to myself. This was working.

"Good. Then go to bed, and I'll see you all bright and early tomorrow morning."

The crowd dispersed, leaving just me and my fifth year Gryffindor friends in the Hall.

"Nicely done Lex," said Lee. "That's a pep talk Oliver could be proud of."

I grinned. "Thanks Lee. Now come on, I wasn't kidding. It's time to go the hell to sleep."

Together, we started the walk back to the Tower. I couldn't speak for my friends, but I at least was feeling much stronger and more determined to start the day tomorrow. My friends seemed to be walking with more purpose too, and I decided I'd accomplished my mission.

Now the challenge was keeping people hyped for tomorrow, and then actually passing all these stupid tests.

****************

I shot out of bed at the first beep of my alarm the next morning. I talked a lot about how we didn't need to stress about the tests, and personally I didn't even need them for my future, but I still couldn't stop the rush of nerves that always came before finals.

I trudged downstairs ahead of the rest of my friends, and even though I'd gotten a fair amount of sleep I still felt exhausted. I just wanted these tests to be over already so I could move on with my life.

I ate breakfast in somber silence. I got downstairs before everyone else, which meant I had time to wallow in my own exhaustion before I needed to hype everyone else up.

As soon as the first fifth years cleared the doors (Cedric and Adrian), I shook myself out of my funk. The best motivation in the world for me was pulling myself together for my friends.

Cedric and Adrian were each headed to their own tables like normal, but I stood up and went to the door to cut them off.

"Remember what I said about team breakfast?" I asked, grabbing their arms and pulling them towards the Gryffindor table with me.

"I will not sit at that table," said Adrian plainly. I rolled my eyes.

"Fine, we'll go to neutral ground at the Hufflepuff table. My point stands, the fifth and seventh years of all houses are eating together today in solidarity."

Adrian and I got a few weird looks when people saw us at the Hufflepuff table with Cedric, but we were all too tired to care.

"Alright, both of you eat some food. You can't test take on an empty stomach, it's not good for you."

Cedric smiled and shook his head as he grabbed a piece of toast, and Adrian grumbled under his breath as he did the same.

It wasn't long before the rest of our group started trickling in. I waved over David and a few of his friends, and then the rest of the Gryffindor fifth years. Percy and Oliver walked through the doors next, and Percy's eyebrows shot up when he saw us all gathered at Cedric's table.

"Alexa, only Hufflepuffs are supposed to sit at the Hufflepuff table," he said in full-force Prefect mode, even though I could tell he was insanely tired like the rest of us.

"Percy, I recognize the rule, but this is the exception that makes the rule. We're a team today. There is no 'Hufflepuff' and 'Ravenclaw,' only 'exhausted' and 'stressed.' We eat and test as one today."

I could tell Percy wasn't quite ready to agree with me, but as Oliver sat he wrapped an arm around Percy's shoulder and all but wrestled him into sitting. Oliver was quite a bit stronger than Percy, and Percy was exhausted, so once he was sitting he didn't have the energy to stand back up and fight us all on our decision.

Breakfast that morning was an unprecedented event in Hogwarts history. Eighty Hogwarts students sat together, ate together, and supported each other regardless of House. We were truly united in our suffering.

The heartfelt moment was quickly shattered when it came time for us all to head to our first exams.

"Alright, hold on, everybody come here first!" I yelled over the nervous chatter and exhausted groans. We were outside the Great Hall now, and I hopped up a few stairs on the grand staircase so people could see and hear me more easily.

Everyone hustled over, looking anxious to leave. I didn't have long, but I wanted to give people one last good send off to their tests.

"Okay, here's what's up," I said, jumping into the middle of our huddle once everyone had come over. "We're doing another study session tonight just like last night for the tests tomorrow. Be there if you want, be asleep if you don't. Now, we've been out here studying until our minds go numb for the last however long, and it's all been leading up to this. One week, and we're done. We can do whatever the hell we want once we get through this.

"Now, we're gonna go in there, take our tests, and kick some major ass. Right?"

People nodded excitedly, but that was nowhere near the level of hype I wanted.

"I said, right?" I yelled this time, and thankfully people caught on.

"Right!" they roared back, and I could see a spark of determination back in everyone's eyes.

"Good! Then let's go, hands in, I want a cheer before we break." Everyone put their hands in the middle, and I gave them the cheer I'd come up with at the end of breakfast. "Alright guys, with me on three we're gonna say: FUCK TROLLS, ALL PROS, GET O'S! One, two, three..."

As one, we all jumped up and down and moved our hands in the middle as we screamed at the top of our lungs:

"FUCK TROLLS, ALL PROS, GET O'S!"

"YEAH! LET'S DO THIS!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, and then our huddle broke as we all headed to our testing rooms. People were bouncing on the balls of their feet like they were ready to win the fight of their lives as they went to their desks, and even Percy supported my swearing this time.

Testing time was here, and we were ready to meet and absolutely destroy it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76.9K 1.6K 40
Draco Malfoy developed a crush on little miss perfect, Hermione Granger when he was 11. Things turn out well for the handsome Slytherin prince and th...
308K 8.8K 35
~ Year one ~ Warning: this is a journey through all of the books / movies so if you want a quick read, over and done with, I don't believe this is fo...
172K 6.3K 69
~ Year five ~ Warning: This is the fifth book in a series!!! This also will journey through all of the books / movies so if you want a quick read, o...
48.8K 1K 42
Nova Lupin, despite her warm, sunshine-like smile and golden hearted nature, has a hard time with control-whether it be the changing colours of her e...