In The Dark

By AmaniThomas

"From the first time I saw you, I knew you was the one....But this will never work because in the end you kno... More

Characters
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Author's Note
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Author's note
Chapter 14
Chapter 15

Chapter 1

5.6K 158 37
By AmaniThomas

As I listened to my music, I danced around the kitchen while making me a smoothie. I had to be at work in about an hour so I was trying to mentally prepare myself for the day ahead. Feeling a tap on my shoulder, I turned around to face my sister Kayla who wore a smirk on her face. I rolled my eyes pulling one of the Airpods from out my ear.

"Watch what you do with your eyes, bitch," she said pushing me slightly onto the counter. I rolled my eyes once again deciding to just disregard her while I poured my smoothie into my bottle.

"Keep your hands off me, Kayla. You might see another side of me if you do it again," I said turning back pouring the smoothie into a bottle and placing the blender in the sink. I ran water in it and stopped when it was filled to the top. I would wash it when I get back from work later on.

"Just because you hanging around them fast ass girls don't mean shit. I'll fuck you up, Shannon." I just refrained from saying anything because I was not about to let her ruin my day with this foolishness. "I'm having company over tonight, so try not to come back." I laughed a little causing her to glare.

"Who is it this time?" She rolled her eyes at me and made her way out the kitchen. I grabbed the bottle and my house keys off the counter and headed for the door. Making my way into the hallway, I scrunched up my nose due to the sudden smell of piss. I hurriedly made my way down the stairs because that stench was too much. I hated staying in the damn projects and couldn't wait to move. I was saving money from my checks every time I got paid and already had at least $4,000.

I walked passed all the neighborhood drug dealers on the block taking a sip from my bottle.

"You always drinking that nasty ass kale shit," said somebody behind me. I turned seeing an old friend named Derek and smiled. I shot him a bird before going over there to hug him. I ignored all the men sending me looks and held a small conversation with Derek.

"Nigga, you know i'm a whole vegan out this motherfucker. You tryna try this nasty ass kale shit because it ain't even that bad, D. You the one letting that pork fuck up your brain and kill you." He smirked before mushing my head.

"I'll stick to eating real food, lil nigga. No wonder you so small and in shape. You practically starving yourself out this bitch. But i'm bout to let you get to work with yo cute self." He pulled me in a small hug and kissed my forehead. I sent a smile his way and waved good-bye to him.

Finally making it to my job, I still had fifteen minutes til I clocked in so I decided to sit in a booth and drink the rest of my smoothie. I turned my blue tooth off and just scrolled down my Instagram. I had over 400,000 followers since I did a little bit of modeling on the side and Youtube. I posted an old picture that I had in my phone and captioned it, Certified IT girl Queen bee.

"Ms. Lisa said clock in," Melanie one of the workers said rolling her eyes. Her eyes gone be stuck like that if she keep rolling them like that. I sighed already knowing how today was going to go.

The diner was packed at 6:30 so instead of me being behind the counter Ms. Lisa had me waiting tables also. I hated doing that because mostly men was trying to hit on me acting like they ain't never seen a freckled face woman. I walked to a table that was filled with six men and immediately became nervous when I noticed who one of the men were. He must've noticed me staring because he looked me right in the face but with a bored expression. Walking to the table, I pulled out my pen and pad.

"Hello, i'm Shannon and i'll be your waiter for tonight. Can I start you off with some drinks?" I looked at all the men who also stared back at me.

"We celebrating tonight so let's us get a bottle of your expensive ass Champagne," a darkskin guy with braids said to me. I nodded and told them i'll be right back. Going to the back where we kept all the winery at, I grabbed the last bottle of Champagne and made a tray with six glasses on it. Making my way back to the table, I sat the tray down and opened the bottle for them pouring the liquid into each glass.

"Yall are lucky cause this is the last bottle. Now what would like to eat?," I said smiling. I took all their food orders and went to the back to give the slip to the chef. It took him close to 45 minutes to prepare everyone's food for that order. I eventually went and gave them their food.

"Shannon, you may take your break now," Ms. Lisa said from the counter. Clocking out, I made my way to an open booth that just had to be in front of those guys. The seat in front of me was quickly taken by Melanie and I immediately rolled my eyes.

"I seen how you was looking at my man, bitch," she said turning to look at one of the guys. I laughed at her causing her to snap her head back towards me.

"Bitch, ain't nobody worried about your supposed to be man. None of them niggas even at acknowledged your retarded ass."

"Watch yourself, you ugly freckled face ass freak."

"This freckled face as freak could take your man even on my worst days. Get the fuck away from my table before I give you another reason to hate me." She got up from the table and instantly my mood was killed.

It was close to me getting off of work and the guys were still here. Ms. Lisa had a strict policy that if you were waiting a table and that party has not left yet then you will not leave yet. My feet were killing me and all I wanted was to go home and take a nice shower. I was off tomorrow so I could relax all I wanted too.

"Hey guys. Are you almost finished yet?" One of the guys turned to me and slightly mugged me.

"Bitch we'll let you know when we ready. Now go sit your ass down somewhere," he said glaring at me.

"I don't know who that nigga think he talking too," I mumbled quietly walking away from the table.

Elijah

Looking over at this nigga Reek, I gave him a pissed off look making sure he felt me staring at him. He was being mad disrespectful to that poor girl and she ain't even say nothing out the way. He wasn't even my homie, I just tolerated this nigga because he was dating my cousin. But still we can't take this nigga nowhere without him being on bullshit. I tapped my partner on the shoulder signaling for him to let me up and once he did I went to go sit with the waitress.

She was blasting her music so I don't even think she noticed me sitting here. I waved my hand in her face causing her to pause the music and take the Pods out her ear.

"Girl you gone break an eardrum how loud you had them motherfuckers blasting," I said causing her to roll her eyes and smile.

"Yeen the only person who done told me that but I only listen to it that loud to block people out mostly," she said shrugging her shoulders. I laughed a little shaking my head already knowing what she meant by that.

"On the real, I came to apologize about that nigga over there. He be acting stupid sometimes, I swear."

"I don't think that ugly ass nigga is acting stupid I think he really is."

"You just gone talk about my boy like that while he ain't here to defend himself." I was only joking not really giving a fuck about that nigga at all. She smiled nodding her head. She had a really nice smile.

"Aye man let's get up outta here while you sitting here entertaining this damn broad," Reek said to me. I watched as all my homeboys place their money on the table paying for their food slowly making their way toward us.

"Nigga shut the fuck up and leave. Stop being so damn disrespectful all the time," I said. I felt Shannon get up from the table putting her hand out for me to shake. I smacked her hand softly pulling her into a small hug which caused her to instantly wrap her arms around my waist. "We do hugs around this way."

She nodded walking away from me and the guys. I watched her as she picked up everyone's money and made her way to the back. I still had to pay for my food so I told everyone that i'll just see them tomorrow morning at the barbershop. Walking over the counter, I hit the bell to notify them that I was there.

Shannon appeared from around the corner and looked at me holding up my money. She smiled softly taking the money and handing me my change back.

"It was nice meeting you, Shannon. Maybe, i'll see you around."

"I doubt that but I can say the same about you, Mr. Elijah." I nodded walking towards the door to leave and looked back at her one more time. She waved shooting me a smile.

The Next Day

Getting out of my car, I made my way inside the barbershop heading to my office. I looked at my workers watching as they was getting their area cleaned up for the day. It was a Friday so I already knew that the Barbershop was about to be packed with niggas trying to get a haircut. Sitting at my desk, I placed my arms over my eyes closing them. I didn't get much rest last night after leaving the diner because Keisha came over and wore me out. She didn't leave until this morning and even then she was tryna get a morning nut out of me which I gave.

"This nigga in here slumped", I heard making me remove my arms and see both my partners Jaxon and Travis. Shooting them both a bird, I rubbed my eyes. "You must ain't get enough sleep last night, nigga."

"Facts, Keisha ass came over and you already know how that went," I said with a smirk. Jaxon shook his head laughing a little.

"Next time you won't have her ass over there so you could get some sleep," he said still laughing.

"Get the fuck out and go do your job. I don't pay you to sit here and talk to me."

Continuing to laugh, they both made their way out of my office with me following behind them. I went to my section of the barbershop and started cleaning off my clippers.

Hearing the bell chime, I looked seeing the girl from last night Shannon walking in with a little boy that didn't look over six years old. She was looking down but when she looked up and seen me a smile grew on her face. I pulled her in for a hug then slightly let go.

"And you thought we weren't going to see each other again," I said causing her to smile again.

"I just came to get me nephew a haircut from one of the most talked about barbershops in the city. How was I supposed to know you worked here?"

"I own this barbershop, Shan. And i'll do little man haircut for the free since you a cool ass person," I said making her nod her head. She started to go take a seat but I grabbed her hand softly pulling her to the back of the shop where my section was. She sat in a seat that was right beside us as she watched her nephew climb in the seat.

"He just want the sides and the back cut off. I'm doing him so braids later on today," she said and then looked down at her phone.

30 minutes later

Wiping the hair off the back of his neck, I put some rubbing alcohol on the parts that I had cut. I could tell that he liked it from the huge smile on his face.

"Look at my handsome ass nephew," Shannon said kissing his cheek and forehead. He moved slightly away from her smiling softly.

"Don't do that in front of the guys, auntie," he said making Shannon roll her eyes. I chuckled at him and gave him some dap.

"Well excuse me. Since I can't kiss you in public how about you have these guys buy you some food then," she said being petty. He got out that chair so fast hugging her.

"You can't just let her dog you like that, son," I said chuckling. He looked over at me.

"Nah, cause she really won't buy me some food. She be petty like that sometimes," he said with his arm still around her.

"You ready to go," she asked him and he nodded. She told him to go wait by the door. "So I want to just say thank you for doing his haircut even though it was free. You didn't have to do that. I had money to pay for it."

"Hey, it's alright. There is a way you can thank me though," I said. Her face frowned up.

"I'm not going to have sex with you," she whispered yelled at me. I laughed.

"That is not what I meant, girl. I just want your number so maybe we can hang out sometime," I said scratching the back of my head.

"Give me your phone," she said with her hand held out. I unlocked my phone and gave it to her. I watched as she saved her phone number as, Shann Pooh. She then called her phone so she could also have my phone number. She handed me my phone back and smiled. "Don't keep me waiting either."

She pulled me in for a side hug and then let me go. I watched her walk away heading over to her nephew.

"I promise you I won't."

Excuse Any Mistakes. Also let me know how you feel about this chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

236K 5.8K 26
"I love you, I knew it the minute I met you. I'm sorry it took so long for me to catch up, I just got stuck."
5K 138 11
"When I first met you I didn't realize how much you would end up meaning to me"
5.4M 218K 113
"I don't wanna be just a memory And I don't wanna feel your wings break free Because without you I'm lost in the breeze I gotta be strong now...
27.3K 1.1K 10
𝗜𝗼𝗻 𝘂𝘀𝘂𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗱𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗮𝗻𝘆𝗯𝗼𝗱𝘆...