Dark Despair (Book 2: Togethe...

By queennightfurious

"We're training everyone to ride dragons." Drago is back and has allied with Grimmel. Sky is the alpha, she i... More

Trigger Warnings
Prologue
Denial
Forgiveness
The First Rescue
Alive
Reveals
Preparing for War
Setting sail
The Hidden World
War Cry
Love on the Battlefield
Grimmel and Drago
Worth it?
Aftermath of War
Fish makes us Understand
Dreamchaser
Soulmates
Toothless's Welcome
Memories
Defenders
Dragon Lady
Snoggletog
A/N #1
Delta
Magnar
Trillium
Captive
A/N #2
Too close
The Mist Disperses
Saving Mist
A/N #3
Chieftess
A/N #4
My life is CURSED
So close
Hiccup's Alive
And... He's back
Lessons and Setbacks
Seeing you again
Character guide

The Rescues

95 1 0
By queennightfurious

1 day earlier

Astrid's POV

I was less mad now. Now that I'd had two days to cool down, I understood why he had to do this. Even if it left me extremely mad. And maybe a little worried. Okay, a lot worried.

I heard a scoff of boots against the rock. I whipped around with the speed Delta had been teaching me for the past five years and quickly brought my knife against the neck of... Heather.

"Sorry!" I quickly released her from my hold.

"Well! It seems someone has been practicing their fighting technique. I didn't even see that coming." I blushed.

Badly wanting to break the awkward silence we had fallen into, I said, "So... What are you doing up here?"

"Oh! I was wanting to see if you were okay and also I was hoping I'd be able to see Hiccup coming back."

"Ahhh... That's why I'm here, too. I was hoping he'd come back. I know wishful thinking, but I can't put it out of my mind."

"Me neither. I want him to be safe. I want both of them to be safe."

"You really think Toothless is still alive?"

"I have to. Because if Toothless is dead... Then I'll lose all of my hope. And I believe Hiccup. He would definitely try to fool himself, but he would never act so confident about it unless he was certain Toothless was still fighting."

I looked at Heather. She was becoming a really good friend. Almost the sister I'd never had. "Is it weird that I'm starting to see you as my sister." She laughed whole-heartedly.

"No, not at all. I'm feeling the same way. Hey, let's make you some armour."

"Make me some-"

"C'mon it'll be fun. I helped Hiccup with his and I have my own."

"What armour?"

"The one you see him wearing a lot. It's made of dragon scales. It's fire-proof."

"Really!?"

"Yeah, let's go!"

5 hours later

"Well, I'm exhausted," Heather exclaims.

"Me too. I could sleep for a week!"

"Agreed."

"Let's not actually do that though."

"Oh, Thor, no!"

"Let's finish it tomorrow."

"Best... Idea... Ever!" Heather said with as much enthusiasm as she could muster.

3 hours later

We must've fallen asleep because when we decided to go back to the top of the waterfall the sun was almost half-way down to the horizon.

After some more time had passed I saw some dragons flying just South of us. They were headed West. "Hey, Heather."

"Yeah?"

"Do you see that?" I said and pointed towards the flock.

"Woah! What are they all doing?"

"I don't know."

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"Call Windshear and Stormfly to go take us to find out what they're doing?"

"Precisely."

Stormfly and Windshear flew as fast as they could. Some of the dragons had spotted us and called the others to slow down.

"Hey, are you from around here?" One Female Rumblehorn asked.

"Not originally. But, I've lived here for the past five years," Windshear replied.

"That's great! Do you know an Astrid?" The same Rumblehorn spoke again.

"That would be me."

"Oh! My apologies I didn't see you there. Is there anyone else hiding?" She asked jokingly.

"Do I count as someone hiding?" Heather said in all good fun.

"I guess. Anyway, I have a message for Astrid Fearless Hofferson, from Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third. He told me to tell you, "My rescue mission has a bump in the road. I now realize that I don't know where Toothless is. I have decided that our best shot at winning this war anyway is if all these dragons are freed and will, therefore, be freeing as many as I can. I love you more than I can express and I will always find you again. Hiccup."

"Thank you. What is your name?"

"My name is Valiant. Is Hiccup your mate?"

"No, he's my soon-to-be-mate."

"Humans confuse me."

"Tell me about it." Said Stormfly, "And I live with them."

We flew back to the Hidden World. There was chatter between some dragons, but as soon as we exited the tunnel leading to the Hidden World silence met us, as awe was seen in each dragon's expression.

Present-day

Rowan's POV

"Excuse me is this Berk?" The male Razorwhip asked us.

"That it is. My name is Delta Haddock and this is my brother Rowan. We are the children of the chief or as dragons like to call them the alpha. We welcome you."

"Thank you!"  She calls to all the dragons above her and they land along the cliff. "Delta Haddock, sister of Hiccup Horrendous Haddock?"

"That is me."

"The dragon princess." She says in a gasp and bows. All of the dragons follow.

"So, what brings you to Berk?"

"Your brother, princess."

"Please don't call me that. Just call me Delta. I only use my title for important matters."

"Ahhh... Well, I was tasked by the prince to give you this message." He pulled a paper from under his wing.

She read it and began to cry. "No!" She covered her mouth with one hand and sobbed.

"Delta? What's wrong?"

"It-it says, 'My li-little si-sister. I-I know that this is t-terrible news. T-toothless h-has been captured, by Grimmel. I-I know that that makes him s-sound d-dead. But, I-I know he isn't. I-I w-wanted t-to t-tell y-you that I-I decided t-to rescue h-him. I-I soon learned that I-I don't know wh-where he is. S-so I-I've st-started rescuing dr-dragons. I-I love y-you, Delta. R-rowan i-if D-delta sh-shows this to y-you, wh-which sh-she probably h-has, I-I w-want you t-to know I love y-you t-too. Lots of love HHH3. P.S, T-tell m-mom and d-dad I-I love them t-too. P.P.S." She paused and gasped, her tears stopped flowing. "No, way! P.P.S. I asked Astrid the question. She said yes. We are getting married." 

"What!?"

"I know right!"

"At least, he found one good thing to tell us." 

Delta broke down into tears again. "Th-there's t-two m-more th-things. 'P.P.P.S. You c-can't t-tell anyone about m-me and A-Astrid. P.P.P.P.S. The war has officially started. Astrid declared it when Toothless was taken about a week ago.' S-sorry I-I lied, th-this i-is the l-last thing, 'P.P.P.P.P.S. I-if a-anything h-happens t-to m-me b-before th-the end of th-the w-war, p-promise m-me y-you w-will t-take c-care of m-my f-family a-and d-don't l-let it t-tear y-you a-all a-apart. P-promise m-me y-you'll t-take c-care of m-mom and d-dad (b-both s-sides) a-and our s-siblings and e-each other. P-promise m-me t-that y-you'll t-take c-care of A-Astrid (she h-has n-no one e-else).'"

We broke down into tears. War had begun and we were still nowhere near ready to help. And to make matters worse Hiccup and Toothless were right where they weren't supposed to be.

As we walked back to the chief's house a piece of paper tore off of the letter. It was the corner and on it, in such small writing, I wouldn't have given it a second thought, except it read, 'Love Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third'. I pocketed it and continued walking, feeling as if I carried a piece of my brother with me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.5K 245 27
What if Hiccup left Berk when he won the chance to kill a dragon all those years ago? Six years after Hiccups mysterious disappearance, a new Chief...
360K 7.1K 24
Hiccup was always considered the weakling of the village, he was bullied, pushed around and beaten up by all the other teens, even his cousin and the...
11.5K 394 29
Since the battle with the Red Death, Viking and Dragons lived in harmony, thanks to two misfits: a scrawny boy named Hiccup, and the mightiest specie...
169K 3.7K 34
The events in this book are set after HTTYD 2. Hiccup and Toothless have defeated Drago and become the rightful Alpha and Chief, and Berk has finally...