Growing Pains

By HighlandKat

▪︎COMPLETED ▪︎ Growing up is hard but falling in love with your neighbour is harder. *** If this story seems... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
EPILOGUE

32

3.9K 299 29
By HighlandKat

It was Jungkook's graduation.

Today he was bidding farewell to his middle school years, and putting on his maroon school blazer and trousers for the last time.

Next month he will be attending Jin's high school and he was looking forward to it.

He couldn't wait to walk down the halls that his Jin-hyung haunted, and he hoped that he would be assigned to the same homeroom that Jin was in during his time there.

He was looking forward to his first day as a high school student so he can come home and tell Jin all about it.

He was becoming a grown-up, and soon he will catch up to his Jin-hyung.

Soon he will be on equal footing with Jin.

Jungkook had already received his certificate in class from his homeroom teacher earlier, and now he was heading to the auditorium with the rest of his classmates for the graduation ceremony.

He called Jin to make sure he was on his way.

Jin was there on Jungkook's first day and entrance ceremony to middle school so it was only right that he should be there on his last day and graduation.

"Hello?"

"Are you here yet, hyung?"

"Of course."

Jin's chuckle on the other end of the line made Jungkook's stomach flip.

"Did you think I would forget such an important day?"

Jungkook grinned.

As he entered the auditorium and took his seat, he looked up at the upper levels and began searching among the sea of parents and friends for his Jin-hyung.

As soon as he saw the light blue coat over the soft pink sweater, a wide happy smile appeared on his face and he waved enthusiastically.

Jin waved back just as enthusiastically.

So did the man next to him.

Frankenstein.

A bitter look crossed Jungkook's face and he immediately turned his back and stared at the stage as he mumbled some choice descriptive words about Frankenstein.

Just then he felt the boy next to him gasp and begin to wave crazily.

Jungkook facepalmed himself mentally.

Of course.

Frankenstein was here because his brother was graduating too.

Taehyung, the boy sitting next to Jungkook.

The boy who had just poked the eye of the girl on his left with his excited waving, and then elbowed Jungkook in the chest when he stopped to apologise to his female classmate.

Taehyung is a walking menace who needs to come with his own warning sign, Jungkook thought as he rubbed his sore chest.

Two hours later, Jungkook stood with his parents and his older brother as Jin took their picture with Jungkook's camera.

The camera had been a Christmas gift from Jin so his dongsaeng had his own equipment for photography, and Jungkook loved it.

"Okay, picture with Jin-hyung next," Jungkook announced impatiently, "I want photos with him!"

"Let me take it!" someone offered.

It was Taehyung, who was standing close by with his own parents, having his picture taken by Frankenstein.

Jungkook immediately stepped away from his family, and went to Jin.

He took his precious camera out of Jin's hands and gave it to Taehyung.

Taehyung might be clumsy in many aspects of his life but when it came to photography, the boy was a genius and treated all photography equipment with such reverence that you would think they were national treasures.

Jungkook doesn't trust many people with his property but he trusted Taehyung with his camera.

"Here, Jin-hyung, you can hold the flowers."

Jungkook's parents had given him a bouquet of flowers as soon as they met up in the middle of the auditorium after the graduation ceremony.

The flowers reminded him of Jin because of their beautiful soft colours and intoxicating smell.

"Awww... you two look like newlyweds," Taehyung cooed as he raised the camera to his eye.

Jin blushed, and it made Jungkook stand proudly next to him as he placed his hand on the small of Jin's back.

Jungkook liked what Taehyung said, and he wished he could get his friend to say it once more so he could record it and listen to it privately over and over again.

"You two look like newlyweds."

It made Jungkook's heart swell with an emotion that he couldn't describe.

Later, Jungkook sat next to Jin for his celebratory lunch.

His parents and brother sat opposite them.

Jungkook had originally planned to take them to a Japanese restaurant but when Taehyung told him that he was going there too with his family, Jungkook had changed his mind in the car and directed his father to drive to a Chinese place on the other side of town.

There was simply no way he was going to let Frankenstein ruin his day by taking Jin's attention away from him.

At the restaurant, Jungkook kept feeding Jin by either putting food on his plate or on his spoon as the other was about to take a bite.

It made Jin blush, and Jungkook proud that he could affect him that way.

After lunch, Jungkook's parents and brother bid Jungkook and Jin goodbye outside the restaurant and left.

Jungkook had told them that he was going to walk around town with Jin.

And he did, while holding his Jin-hyung's hand inside his coat pocket for warmth, their fingers laced together like when he was a child and Jin would hold his hand in his coat pocket during the winter.

The euphoria that Jungkook felt as he walked beside Jin was like nothing he had ever felt before.

None of the past handholding with the girls he'd dated, and the make-out sessions he'd had with them had ever produced this feeling that spread all over his body.

The feeling also made his heart beat so loud that he wondered if people nearby could hear it.

Jin made him so happy, and he thanked his lucky stars that he met him.

Later that night, Jungkook ran out of Jin's home, tears streaming down his cheeks.

He tore into his house, and up the stairs to his bedroom.

He slammed his door shut, and threw himself on his bed as his heart shattered.

Jin had just told him that he was going to Seoul, that he was going to the same university as Frankenstein.

Jungkook had been devastated, and tried to tell him that he didn't want him to go.

"You can't go. You're my hyung."

Jungkook wanted to say more.

He wanted to tell Jin that he wasn't just his hyung.

That Jin was more to him than that, meant more to him than his own family, but the words he wanted to say were stuck in his throat and he couldn't get them out.

So he tried to convey what he couldn't say through his eyes instead, begging for his Jin-hyung to understand but Jin wasn't looking at him.

He had been so hurt by Jin's disregard for his feelings so when Jin hugged him, he had let him for a brief moment before he remembered that Jin was leaving him.

For Frankenstein.

It was his worst nightmare come true.

So he had pushed Jin away harshly and ran off.

He hated Frankenstein for successfully stealing Jin from him.

But he hated Jin more for not wanting to stay with him.

He hated his Jin-hyung so much, and he wished he'd never met him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

80.8K 5.3K 63
Life wasn't fair. And yet they fought against it.
67.4K 5.3K 27
Jungkook hates unclear and inexact choices. He dislikes uncertainties and vague answers. Everything is a matter of Yes or No. Everything must be acc...
880K 40.9K 61
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...
312K 6.9K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc