The Tale of a Princess Kidnap...

By madisonrae19

Princess Aurora was kidnapped as a child and thrown into the brutal world of pirates and slavery. Many years... More

Welcome and Cast List!
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
MY OTHER BOOKS!

Chapter Eight

1.3K 42 3
By madisonrae19

Ro had been on land for a week now and she more or less knew her way around the east wing of the castle, which was where she was based. She was now a housemaid at the bottom of the pile, but still she found joy in her new assignment. She was fed three times a day, treated well and even had a small salary, which she was looking forward to at the end of the month. Every morning she was given a list of duties by Mrs Bennett, and conscientiously worked to complete them all, which usually ended in extra chores considering she was so efficient and never dared to slack. Idleness would have been the difference between being fed or not on the pirate ship. Mrs Bennett was quite strict and did not tolerate tardiness – Ro was expected to be up and ready at sunrise everyday otherwise she would get a black mark against her name, which she certainly did not want.

She was getting used to being on land, although the feeling was mightily strange. She found it odd having so much space to roam and get lost in, and no extra sway to her steps. It was especially weird to have to sleep in a bed, not a swaying hammock which usually lulled her off to sleep. Every person in the castle, habitant or servant, was so posh and well mannered; she felt positively barbaric sometimes compared to them. Everyone was just incredibly polite and formal, and confusingly there was a list longer then Ro's arm on the correct mannerisms she was expected to display. She had embarrassed herself a number of times much to the annoyance of Mrs Bennett, who wondered where on earth this incompetent girl had come from and why the King insisted on her employment. One thing Ro was always getting mixed up on was the linens – who knew that the right colour and material mattered so much! Ro did not think she had ever seen such luxurious, silky material before, and it was only for people to sleep in!

Ro was gradually learning though, with the help of Mrs Bennett and her roommate Viola.

Ro definitely felt the part of a Royal maid when she received her uniform, and a plain Sunday dress considering every maid had the morning off to attend church. She was very well looked after, and grateful to Theodosius and his parents for their warm hospitality. She had seen him a few times during the week, although he did not seem to be in a very talkative mood, and she was very busy trying to set a good impression so she did not push an interaction. She did wonder whether any friendship they had was over since she was not the girl he wished her to be, but Mrs Bennett told her this would be a good thing, as rumours fly around the castle faster then lice in a class of children, and she will get a bad reputation, which Ro certainly did not want. Although this saddened her and she missed the talks and inspiring stories Theo always told her, Ro knew she did not really have a choice. Nobility and common folk just were not supposed to mix.

Her roommate Viola had a loud and bubbly personality, and could talk for Yemini. She even talked while she ate, which Ro found mildly disgusting. Ro could hardly get a word in edgeways, but she did not mind this, as she preferred to listen and learn rather then talk about herself. She had a lot to catch up on! Viola's favourite thing to do was gossip – somehow she knew everything about everyone, even very personal details Ro felt she should not be telling others. Even so, she was a nice girl and looked after Ro under Mrs Bennett's command.

Ro was halfway through her list of chores for the day, currently scrubbing the ballroom floor with Viola who was gossiping about Dionne, a girl who came up in numerous conversations. Viola really did not like her, and from the sounds of it, Dionne was not a very pleasant person. However, there did seem to be an unspoken rivalry between the girls, which perhaps made Viola speak more negatively about her then she realised. At one point they were friends and roommates, and even started at the castle on the same day, but it all turned quite nasty when they realised they were up against each other for a promotion. Apparently Dionne cheated as she knew she could not beat Viola fairly, and traded her body for the raise with the Head Butler, who put in a good word for her with the Head of the Estate, meaning Dionne was now above all of the maids and Mrs Bennett's second. This news shocked and horrified Ro.

Suddenly Viola stopped talking – a rare occurrence – and groaned, which meant someone she did not like was coming in through the door. A maid with a haughty voice flounced into the ballroom as if it was hers, looking at the two girls on their knees in contempt. Ro recognised her to be the one and only Dionne.

"Oh I see you are where you belong, in rags on the floor." Dionne cackled rudely.

"Oh, says you – whore!" Viola spit, her amber eyes burning with malice.

"How dare you! I can have you kicked out for that!" Dionne snapped.

"Hey why don't we all keep calm...?" Ro tried to intervene, placing her cloth and polish down and rising to her feet.

"Hey, new girl, shut it, or I will have you fired too." Dionne glared as Viola got up in her face.

"I-I am so sorry." Ro stumbled out; petrified that she could be thrown out of the castle already. What would she do then?

"Ignore her Ro; she does not have the power to do that." Viola retaliated with a smug grin.

"I do too! Listen, I don't have time to mess around with peasants all day, I am busy getting the castle in order – you know, because I was promoted." Dionne replied with a cruel smile, making Viola look like she was about to hit her. "Anyway, one of you go and deal with her high and mighty 'Lady' Evangeline. She has been ringing the bells all day long and I simply cannot deal with her." Dionne sighed.

"Dionne your promotion is to primarily look after the guests of the Royal Family, and you're already dishing your chores out? Go and find someone else." Viola spat before resuming her scrubbing.

"I do not mind doing it." Ro exclaimed sweetly, as she was a very kind girl.

"Seriously Ro? It is your funeral!" Viola sighed dramatically before continuing to scrub at the floors so violently Ro thought the wood might start to chip off!

"Perfect. She is on the third floor in room six. She is very... picky, so make sure you do everything she says and you should be just fine." Dionne instructed, before giving Viola one last glare and flouncing off the way she came.

After giving Viola an apologetic glance, Ro made her way to Lady Evangeline, who she was a little nervous in meeting. She hoped she did not want anything too extravagant done considering she could hardly even make a bed right. Once she arrived outside of Lady Evangeline's door, she knocked once when it was flung open, taking her by surprise. A beautiful yet maddened young woman was waiting to pounce on her the other side.

"What took you so long help?" She snapped. "You must be the most incompetent and disrespectful maid I have ever met to act in such a way! Get in here and tidy my room or I will report you to the King and Queen!" She raged.

Ro was terrified of the elegant lady and raced into her suite as quiet and fast as a little mouse being hunted by an owl. Now she understood why Dionne did not want to deal with her. The room was a mess – there were clothes everywhere, makeup bottles cluttering the vanity and boxes of shoes strewn across the room. Ro sighed but got straight into working, petrified she was going to be fired. For the next two hours Ro worked tirelessly, whilst Evangeline admired herself in the mirror, caused more mess and complained about her life and the people in it.

"I am all done Evangeline." Ro sighed whilst wiping her sweaty forehead once the last dress had been suitably hung up.

"Excuse me?" Evangeline gasped in outrage, causing Ro to blush bright red. "It is Lady Evangeline to you. Do you not know who I am?"

Ro shook her head embarrassedly and thought Lady Evangeline was going to fall out of her chair.

"I am the Lord and Lady of Amar's second daughter, and my mother is a close friend of the Queen." She boasted, before a sly smile overcame her symmetrical features, and her green eyes gleamed as she leant forward and whispered: "It is not common knowledge but I am going to be the next Queen of Yemini – well when Prince Theodosius gets over his dead betrothed and realises I am the perfect Queen." She bragged which surprised Ro.

She did not know how she felt about the fact that Theo and Evangeline were going to get married. It unsettled her for sure.

"Oh, wow congratulations. I am sure you will make a lovely couple. Theo told me about his betrothed; it is such a tragic story. He actually thought I was her, but obviously I am not." Ro revealed with a friendly smile.

"What? You know Prince Theodosius? How? And he let you call him Theo?" Evangeline gasped and sized up Ro. She could not afford any more serious competition.

"Yes, he saved me from pirates and brought me back here. We are friends, I think." Ro revealed as she fiddled with her hands awkwardly.

"Well then, maybe it will be useful to have you around, considering you know him so well. Moreover, there is no need for me to be jealous, considering he would never go for an ugly little maid such as yourself. He needs someone of status and beauty to be his Queen, just like me. Oh, I am pleased we have met maid! You shall be the perfect little informant." Lady Evangeline giggled excitedly.

Ro was saddened by her true words, but thought that maybe Lady Evangeline and she could grow to become friends, considering she did not have many of them.

"Of course your Ladyship." Ro replied as she fell into a deep curtsy, much to the enjoyment of Evangeline.

You've met two key characters in this chapter guys! Viola and Evangeline. What do you think of them? xoxo

Edited

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.3K 775 31
Marriage was never something Aurora Whitmore wanted, especially not a loveless one with the heir to the Redburn throne, Damian Redburn. She hated him...
558K 17.3K 34
You all know the old fairy-tale's where an evil and cruel dragon kidnaps the princess because of her beauty and then knights in shinning armour arriv...
6.5K 259 32
A servant's daughter befriends the prince and finds an unlikely friendship. One that would be greatly scrutinized. Pushed and pulled, the prince has...
11.2K 545 26
Ro - or now Princess Aurora as she goes by, has finally been reunited with her family as Princess of Alluvia. But her fairytale is not complete yet...