Tenebrous β†  Volturi Kings {1}...

By LiveLaughLoki

Rowan Ailes has always taken solace in the comfort of darkness. It was darkness that pulled her into its embr... More

Summary
Cast
00
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
010
011
012
013
014
015
016
017
018
019
020
021
022
023
024
025
026
027
028
029
030
031
032
034
035
036
037
038
039
040
041
042
043
044
045
Epilogue
Sequel Announcement

033

24.1K 851 231
By LiveLaughLoki

When I woke up, it was dark outside. The family room was nearly pitch black but I saw through the darkness easily, zeroing in on the figure draped over a chair in the corner. I attempted to sit up.

"Don't do that! Do you want me to lose my job?" Santiago fussed as he stood in one lithe motion.

"Where is everybody?" I asked. For a place that currently housed eleven vampires - fourteen, including the kings - it was oddly quiet.

"Your family all went out to hunt before the masters return. Jane is on guard duty, meaning I've been left to babysit," he said. "No offense."

"None taken. Also no offense, but you're the worst babysitter ever."

"Thanks, it means a lot. Do you want my help sitting up or not?"

"Yeah, yeah."

He stepped back once I was situated. "I know we can both see in the dark just fine, but would you mind me turning on the lights?"

"Go ahead. I'm not going back to sleep," I said. I was actually feeling rather well, all things considered. He flicked on the lights and I grimaced, shielding my eyes with my good arm until I adjusted. "A little warning would have been nice."

"You said go ahead! I thought you would know what was coming after that!" he exclaimed.

"I didn't expect you to do it before I was done talking! But it doesn't matter. When will my mates be back?"

"Last I heard they were an hour out from Forks, and that was about half an hour ago," Santiago said.

"And my family?"

"I can't hear them yet, but they should be back any minute."

"You should call Jane in. I want to say hello," I said.

Santiago tilted his head, listening. "Give it one-"

Jane appeared beside him. "No need. I was already in earshot in case I was needed, my queen."

"It's good to see you, Jane."

"And you as well, my queen. I am glad to see that your health is improving."

"You talk like I'm deathly ill, Jane. I'll be up and about before long," I said with a grin.

She smiled at me. "I'm happy to hear it."

"She was worried about you, not that she would ever admit it," Santiago said in a loud whisper, earning himself a glare from Jane.

"Don't tease her, Santiago. I think it's sweet. And if I remember correctly - though my being found is all a bit of a blur for me - I had you pretty scared, too," I said.

"And I'll be the first to admit it. You scared the hell out of all of us. I certainly don't envy Carlisle, having to inform the masters of your disappearance."

I grimaced. "Is that how it happened?"

Santiago nodded. "Oh, yes. I was there. Carlisle called them straight after I got hold of Demetri, as we were in bad need of his tracking skills - not that it did us much good. You must have been using your gift, because no one could pick up your scent, not even Demetri once he arrived."

"I was, but not intentionally. Some sort of latent survival instinct. I couldn't control my gift. It was like when I was younger," I said.

"It's normal. It happened to me too, when I was human and under extreme stress. At least, I think it did. That was a long time ago," Jane said, her brows furrowing slightly.

"How close were you to finding me before Demetri could finally track me again?" I asked them.

"We were getting close, but not close enough. It was Jasper's idea to attempt finding you by human methods and the only one that actually got us anywhere. Demetri, Carlisle, Edward, Emmett, and I were following the directions Jasper was giving us when your shadows finally lifted; that's how we found you."

"In total, you were missing about twelve hours, and were unconscious for another hour after they found you," Jane said. "We're glad you're okay. Though I don't understand why you weren't turned."

"Carlisle knew I'd be fine as long as I reached a hospital. He's a doctor, remember?" I asked with a small smile. "Anyway, enough of reliving bad memories. When can you continue giving me lessons in Italian, Santiago?"

"I'd say whenever you'd like, but it may be best to wait until we've all returned to Volterra," he said. "That way, you'll be feeling better and things won't be so... chaotic."

In tandem, he and Jane both tilted their heads. Jane glanced towards the window. "Your family is back."

"Excellent," I said with a grin, looking towards the door. "Will I be seeing you around?"

"Yes, but not because we want to hang out. Your sister enlisted us," Santiago said in distaste.

I laughed before wincing and grabbing my ribs. "Can't laugh quite yet. Alice got to you, huh?"

"Yes. Apparently we have 'nothing better to do' so we might as well 'help with the wedding'," Santiago said, using exaggerated air quotes.

Jane rolled her eyes. "He's being dramatic. I think it's fun."

"Women," Santiago scoffed. "We better bounce. I'm glad you're doing better, kid."

He disappeared, but Jane hung back, looking almost shy. "I saw a picture of you in the bridesmaid dress you'll be wearing. You looked really pretty."

I beamed at her. "Thank you, Jane. That's really sweet of you."

"Of course." She inclined her head and was gone just as Edward strolled into the room.

"How was hunting?" I asked him.

"Good. Rose ordered Emmett to go off and change since he got all muddy from tussling with bears," he said amusedly.

"I'm not surprised. I finally got a chance to chat with the guard. They've been making themselves scarce recently."

"No wonder, considering the kings are still rather angry at them. I doubt they told you, and the guard may have been ordered not to, but it was only your partiality for Santiago that saved his life after you disappeared under his care. I saw it in Aro's thoughts," he said, taking a seat on the edge of my bed.

I let out a groan. "I would ask if you're kidding, but I just know that you're not."

Edward made a sympathetic noise. "Sorry. I thought you would want to know."

"Why does a vampire's only form of problem solving involve killing whatever caused the problem?"

He laughed. "We're not all like that, Ro, and you know it. But when you put three ancient vampires together with a very human mate, they tend to go more than a little overboard about your safety."

"I don't like it when you make good points," I grumbled.

"My point in all this is that you've grown into an incredible person, and the Volturi is lucky to have you," Edward said.

"Edward, please. You're all lucky to have me."

He looked like he was trying not to laugh. "A little humility would be nice."

"Absolutely not. Confidence suits you, Rowan. Plus, men tend to find it pretty sexy," Kate said as she walked in, shooting me a wink.

"I don't know whether to thank you or to be frankly disgusted by your prying into my love life," I told her.

"It's not really prying if it's all out in the open, now is it? But I'll settle for a thank you," Kate said.

"You're ridiculous."

"Love you too, Rowan," she said.

Edward shook his head. "As much as I want this exchange to continue, the kings are about to arrive. I suggest you allow them to see Rowan first before introducing yourselves. They're still very much on-edge."

"I understand. We can wait in the sunroom. Not that it gets much use here," Kate said thoughtfully, shooting me a smile before walking out of the room.

"On edge?" I asked Edward.

"Like you haven't noticed. You were kidnapped and nearly died. Of course they're more protective and easily agitated than normal."

I had noticed, especially in Caius. I just hadn't paid it much attention. "You're right."

"Anyway, I'm going to go. Bella has probably waited up for me," Edward said.

"If not, are you just going to watch her sleep?" I asked innocently.

"Are you ever going to let that go?"

"No! It was creepy and you know it."

"It's soothing!" he protested.

I grinned. Considering I was confined to bed, riling up Edward was the most interesting thing I could do. "Sure it is, Ed."

"You tell him, pipsqueak!" I heard Emmett yell from somewhere in the house.

"You're insufferable," he said.

I stuck my tongue out at him. "No, you."

Edward pinched the bridge of his nose. "I'll see you later. Stay out of trouble."

"What exactly am I supposed to do?" I retorted, using my good arm to motion at the bed. "I can't even sit up without someone hearing, so I think I'll be fine."

"You'll be up and about eventually. But right now it's for the best if you stay put." He was gone before I could argue that, when Bella had been confined to bed, he had been much more accommodating.

The kings entered my room not two minutes later, greeting me cheerfully.

"Ah, bellissima, we missed you," Aro crooned, coming over to take my hand.

"Hello, Aro. I missed you, too," I said, smiling.

Caius looked tense, though he relaxed slightly when he saw me and offered me a gentle smile. "Are you feeling well?"

"Just fine," I assured him.

"Your extended family has been informed of our presence?" Marcus asked, pressing a light kiss to my forehead.

"Yes. They're waiting in the sunroom, I believe," I told him.

"Let's see them, then," Caius said, sounding less than enthused.

"Play nice, brother. Remember, Eleazar is an old friend," Aro chided, smiling when he saw Tanya leading the rest of her coven into the room. They were wary, but so were Caius and Marcus. Aro seemed to be the only one who was actually at ease, besides me. "You must be Tanya, from our Rowan's memories. It's so nice to meet you in person!"

He stretched out a hand. I sighed internally, knowing how uncomfortable this made most people. My shoulder began to ache. "Aro," I said quietly.

"Yes, darling?" He glanced towards me in question. I looked pointedly at his hand and raised my eyebrows. He caught my meaning and clasped his hands behind his back instead. "Of course, how rude of me. Eleazar, it is good to see you again, old friend!"

"You as well, Aro," Eleazar said hesitantly. "You've met my mate, Carmen."

"Yes, I remember. Lovely as ever, I see. The rest of your coven I have not met," Aro said.

"I'm Tanya, the coven leader," Tanya said, dipping her head formally towards them. "This is my sister, Kate. Unfortunately Irina chose not to attend Edward and Bella's wedding, so she is currently back home in Alaska."

"How disappointing. But we are glad to meet you," Marcus finally spoke, looking a little more relaxed than before.

"Yes, a pity." Caius' voice held a barely perceptible sarcastic edge. He had angled himself protectively in front of my bed before the Denalis entered and had not relaxed at all.

"You've taken a reading on Rowan's gift, Eleazar?" Aro asked, redirecting the conversation.

Eleazar nodded. "Yes, that's correct. The amount of power she holds is remarkable."

"What would you classify it as?"

"Since she's still human, it's difficult to say. Her gift isn't purely defensive, however it has manifested as such at present. I expect it will strengthen considerably when she is turned, though it's hard for me to say precisely how," Eleazar said.

Aro clapped his hands together. "How fascinating. I would love to catch up with you later, Eleazar, if it's not too much of an inconvenience for you. It has been so long since we've talked."

"I'd be happy to, Aro," Eleazar said.

"Excellent. For the time being, seeing as it is late, it may be best for you to leave Rowan to rest. We can talk more come morning."

"That is perfectly reasonable," Tanya said. "It has been a pleasure meeting you."

"You as well," Aro said with a smile.

"Truly," Marcus added. Caius made an affirmative sort of noise in the back of his throat but said no more.

Recognizing the dismissal, the Denalis left the room, and Caius finally relaxed. Aro returned to my side. "Well, that went well, I think."

"For the most part. Though it was a bit... stiff," I said.

"We are royalty," Caius said, removing his coat and draping it over a chair. "They owe us respect."

"And they are my family, which means they deserve your respect," I said firmly. "Also, I'm pretty sure they can still hear you."

Caius merely shrugged and sat down in a chair after moving it closer to the door. I recognized it as a protective gesture, a way to guard me from attack. Marcus laid down beside me on the bed. "You heard from Demetri that Renata and Afton will be arriving soon?"

"Yes. I want them to come say hello once they arrive, considering I can't exactly go anywhere," I said. "It'll be good to see them again."

"Demetri thought you would be happy to see them, though he's sorry to go," Aro said. "We would have sent Santiago, but he doesn't have the rank."

"Speaking of Santiago," I mused, addressing Aro, "is what Edward told me earlier true? That you would have killed him if not for my favor towards him, even though he was acting on my orders?"

"Yes, it is. Caius wanted to dispose of him and be done with it, but Marcus advised against it for your sake, and I agreed with him," Aro explained. "Killing him would have caused you distress, which is the last thing we want."

I let out a sigh of frustration. They had completely missed the point. "It wasn't Santiago's fault, though. Or Jane's, or Alec's. They were staying on the Cullen side of the treaty line on my orders. If anything, it's my fault for not being more proactive about my safety."

"You shouldn't have to be. That's why you have the guard," Caius hissed.

"And said guard was patrolling the treaty line just as I ordered them to," I shot back. My head was starting to pound. "This isn't a debate. It was not their fault that I got taken. It wasn't your fault I got taken. Hell, it wasn't even my fault. The blame rests solely on my father for choosing to harm me in the first place."

"Well said, my dear," Marcus said. "There's no need to get wound up. What's done is done, and however much we would like to change the past, it is just that: past. Isn't that right, brother?"

Caius scowled. "I suppose."

"You are wise beyond your years, mia cara. We are very lucky to have you," Aro said, apparently finding no point to object to in my argument.

"Are you tired at all?" Marcus asked, flipping onto his side in order to face me. The bed lurched at the movement and I grimaced as it jostled my ribs and shoulder.

"Careful, brother," Caius snapped, halfway to his feet.

"I'm sorry, tesoro," Marcus fretted.

"It's fine," I assured them.

Aro hovered anxiously over me, taking my hand before I could object. "Why didn't you tell us you were in pain?"

"It's alright, really-" I protested, but Caius had already left for the kitchen to grab food and painkillers, Aro said something about getting Carlisle to check and ensure this was normal, and Marcus was asking me if the pain was any worse every minute until Caius returned from the kitchen balancing a cup of water, bowl of fruit, and my painkillers on a tray.

I really don't know what I expected.

Edited 6/26/2021

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

525K 13.7K 51
Eli lived a pretty normal life, that was until she discovered the existence of vampires. Now she has to face her own demons, and come to terms with h...
294K 7.4K 27
"The smell of her hair, the taste of her mouth, the feeling of her skin seemed to have gotten inside him, or into the air all around him. She had be...
377K 8.2K 19
'She's so complicated that's the way god made her, sunshine mixed with a little hurricane. That girl is the perfect storm' "How come she can't see...
141K 3.8K 25
"You shouldn't have come" Β° Β° Β° After leaving the Cullen and her brother, Irene is travelling around the world, running away from the Volturi. Leavin...