Instinct ↠ Liam Dunbar

By Iydiamartin

❝Pain is only instinct, and instinct is what makes us human.❞ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀When Scott McCall's younger si... More

| zero: prologue
| one: adventitious
| two: certitude
| three: luminosity
| four: efficacious
| five: clairvoyant
| six: divulge
| seven: inundate
| eight: normalcy
| nine: segregation
| ten: ephialtes
| eleven: socialite
| twelve: inebriate
| thirteen: endearment
| fourteen: resolute
| fifteen: trauma
| sixteen: interstellar
| eighteen: intuition
| nineteen: epilogue
| bonus: texting

| seventeen: nostalgia

15.2K 434 210
By Iydiamartin

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
Nostalgia
⠀⠀⠀⠀    

Think of life as a chessboard. There are the Kings and the Queens; who serve as the rightful leaders. There are the Knights and the Bishops; the hunters and the wise. And then there was me; one of the pawns playing a game of live or die alongside the people I care most about.

And just like Allison, my very own brother had been taken away from me. But this time, it was fixable. Scott had been taken, for whatever reason Kate Argent believed necessary. So now it was time to mend whatever ounce of pain I felt, and turn it into the instinct that'll get me through this battlefield.

After all,
Pain is only instinct, and instinct is what makes us human.

But in saying that, it isn't looking so likely about the human part; especially considering the circumstances I'm in right now. If it weren't for Liam practically having to restrain me, I'd probably run to hell knows where in hopes of escaping the unescapable; the thought of Scott missing.

"You're not helping!" Liam's grip around my wrists tightened as he pulled them further behind my back. With my stomach and chest pressed up against the wall, I was finding it harder to break loose, even as I began shifting. If it was possible to feel your eyes changing from human to werewolf, I definitely felt it; especially since the headache - of which had warned me about shifting only a month ago - had a certain hatred for my head right now.

The cold water that rained down upon me from the shower felt like icy tendrils of electricity as each and every drop landed onto me. My clothes were absolutely drenched, my hair clung to whatever possible, and I was fortunately shifting back into human; I believed to be.

Liam let go of my wrists - which proved my point of how I really was changing back - and he then twirled me around to face him. With my back to the wall, I leaned my head against it and closed my eyes before taking in large amounts of breaths. I felt like I hadn't breathed in hours, and my headache was slowly decreasing thanks to the now calming shower.

"Better?" Liam asked almost sarcastically, and I had to open my eyes again just to notice that he was dead serious; maybe even a little worried. Well, of course he'd be worried, but I think that'd have more to do with Scott's disappearance, or the possibility that anyone could walk into this locker room and see Liam with his werewolf not-girlfriend in the shower.

I nodded, feeling the all too familiar sharp pain in my mouth as the canines withdrew. That was one thing that slipped my mind whilst transforming, and that was the possibility of hurting Liam in any way. Then again, if it ever came down to it, I'm certain Liam would fight back. That would lead to an all out dog fight, which I hate to admit would be pretty fun.

"Good." He sighed before reaching up above our heads to switch off the shower. Once he did, the water stopped within seconds, leaving me colder than how I had felt underneath the shower when it was on in the first place. I grabbed ahold of my arms instinctively to shield myself from the small breeze as Liam slumped himself against the wall. He slid down until he was sitting right besides me, and I followed in suit.

"This is kinda familiar." I pointed out whilst shuffling further towards Liam's side. He wrapped an arm around my neck and pulled me into his chest, which happened to be much warmer than I would've expected - for someone who just drenched themselves.

"Oh yeah?" Liam wondered, sounding very out of breath and tired. Maybe it was from holding me down, or maybe it was from lacrosse. All I could think about however, was how he and I both needed sleep.

We also needed to find Scott.

"Yeah," I closed my eyes; hearing Liam's heartbeat ever so clearly. It was going at a fast pace, which only made me giggle at the thought of him still being nervous around me, "It reminds me of that time you lost your crap at Brett, and so Scott and Stiles had to take you here and-"

"Hold me against my will in the shower?" Liam cut in while looking down at me, somehow smirking like an idiot, "Yeah, how do you think I knew what to do with you?"

"You didn't," I rolled my eyes and nuzzled my head further into him, "I was the one who turned the shower on, genius."

"Hey, I'm not complaining. As long as your okay now, that's all that matters."

Yeah, and finding Scott is all that matters to me as of right now, I thought to myself, but that only seemed to worsen the void that had now filled my mind. It was hard to not think of him - to worry and cry about the possibility of losing one of the most important things in my life - but I knew it was all I could do to stay calm and wait for the others to figure something out. It was for the best to keep my emotions and thoughts to myself, even though half of them had emptied out a long time ago. Right now, the only thing seeming to keep me sane, was Liam.

I could totally go to sleep right here and right now, but I'd much rather sleep in a bed compared to at school on the floor. And then I realised that I not only hated this place at night, but I also didn't want to spend the entirety of it alone.

"Liam," I said after a while of thinking things through.

"Hmm?" He replied, but he seemed even more distant as sleep threatened to take him over.

"Stay with me tonight?" I asked, now tilting my head up to see that he had his eyes closed. But, just as I asked, his eyes snapped open and he looked down at me in a dumbfounded way.

He nodded, clumsily kicking his leg out for some unknown reason before coughing on nothing at all, "Stay with you? As in... as in the same bed? With you?"

I only nodded while smiling up at him because of how cute and idiotic he was being so suddenly. Without another word, I pushed myself away from him and stood up; Liam doing the same - also managing to almost trip in the process. I caught onto him before he had the chance of falling on his face, and he instantly brushed off the situation like it was nothing, even though he was clearly embarrassed. He ran a hand through his hair and cringed, "I'll take you home then."

"No!" I replied only a split second later. I had probably shouted the word, which caused Liam to flinch, "I can't go back there, not without..." I couldn't dare to finish my sentence, because I was already feeling sick.

"I get it," Liam smiled weakly and grabbed ahold of my hand. I had never thought of how he truly felt about Scott having gone missing, but it seemed to be weighing down on him just as much, "I'm sure my mom wouldn't mind it if you stayed."

After he said that, I could've sworn I heard him mutter, "That is until she grounds me for the remainder of my life."

Liam walked us out of the changing room - not before grabbing whatever lacrosse gear he left out and shoving it into his locker. On the way to the carpark, I could only wonder about how we were going to get home and what I was going to do when I got there. And no, I don't mean like that kinky bullshit - hopefully Liam remembers we're taking things much more slower from now on. It was what I'd think about that bothered me. Like many other teenagers in the world, I was one to stay up until ridiculous hours of the morning just daydreaming about the impossible, and thinking about the horrible. So, I made a promise to myself to block out as much of Scott as I could.

To answer my question about how Liam and I were getting home, was a simple enough answer now that we stood in the car park. Liam's step dad had perched himself against his car, looking at us with an oh-so fatherly smirk that dads would often use if they witness their son bring home a girl for the very first time. How Liam's step dad managed to give off that vibe, I had no idea.

"You sure you don't want us to take you home?" Liam whispered as we continued to walk towards the car.

Squeezing his hand tighter, I answered, "No, but I'm sure that I don't want to leave you."

Liam instantly chuckled, and it was all I could do to not pounce on him and shower him with kisses. Even in the most darkest of times, he still found a way to guide me to the light; and his smile was doing just that, "Fair enough. But wouldn't your mom worry?"

Mr. Dunbar stepped into his car then, and I wondered if he just knew I was going to end up staying. I decided not to let that bother me as I came up with an answer for Liam, "I was meant to be staying at Lindy's tonight, actually."

I then got the horrible image of her sister, Carrie, and her horrible death in my head; I had to blink repeatedly just to get it out. Why that happened, I feared to find out, but I could only guess it was because of the unnecessary guilt I felt for Lindy. After all, saying that I was meant to be staying at Lindy's sounded almost wrong now that she had foster parents. But there was one thing I was thankful for, and that was of how I was glad she had found a family. They were nice people too, yet I knew Lindy had trouble devoting herself to a new family so soon. Her and I really were more alike than I thought, and I guessed it was because I would deal with it the same way if I were ever to lose mom and...

I squeezed Liam's hand ever so tightly to erase the thought of my brother as Liam and I reached the car.

Unfortunately, I had nothing with me once I got to Liam's. If I had known I'd be staying with him rather than Lindy, I would've taken my bag to the lacrosse game with me rather than leaving it at her place. So now, I stand in the middle of Liam's room, awkwardly trying to get one of his shirts over my head. And with my horrible luck, the thing became even more stuck as it caught on an unnecessary part of my bra.

"Damnit," I cursed quietly as I shimmed my arms through the long sleeves. As if the devil himself hated me, my arm practically snapped backwards as I somehow managed to pop my shoulder out of its socket. It was all I could do to not scream out in pain, and I had to settle for really loud - and disturbing - whimper as the unsettling pain shocked through me. Even after a few tears had fallen, I was still determined to get the damned shirt off. Why me? I thought to myself as I heard the door creak open.

"Jess?" It was Liam who had most likely opened the door, but I was already throwing myself onto the bed and over to the other side of it in hopes of hiding away from him. Finally, I lucked out after the shirt slid back around my neck - not on properly, but good enough; leaving my hair in a tangled mess and my arm in a searing pain as I peered over the bed to see Liam standing there with a look of confusion on his face.

I waved, pursing my lips together to stop it from trembling due to the hurt that took over my arm, "Hey, Liam."

"Why did it sound like you were crying?" He stepped forwards into the room, and I instantly ducked down more since he'd probably end up seeing me shirtless. All too suddenly, his expression changed from bewilderment to shock, "Why are you crying?"

"I'm not crying!" I retorted; crying, "My eyes are just sweating." I wiped away at my cheeks whilst I felt so many things at once. Pain, embarrassment, distaste and longing.
Liam rushed forwards, turning at the edge of the bed before pulling me up from the ground. He seemed unbothered by the fact that his own shirt was hanging around my neck, and so he lifted it up over my head like he knew I had intentions of getting it off in the first place.

"What's really up with you?" He asked whilst throwing the shirt onto the ground like it was nothing. He placed his hands onto my shoulders and pulled me in closer, and it was hard to ignore the tingling I felt in my stomach since I was shirtless in front of him. As I rested my head onto his chest, it was then that I noticed the pain in my shoulder once more. I instantly winced, and pushed away from Liam quicker than he had pulled me in. Liam was quick to react, and he was studying my arm like I had just been shot there.

"Is that what it is?" He pointed to my arm while cringing at the sight. I slowly turned my head around myself to see that the bone was at an odd angle. I really had popped it out of its socket.

"Never seen it before in my life," I joked dishonestly while continuing to wince.

Liam rolled his eyes at me, but he seemed almost too careful when he placed both of his hands against my shoulder. He looked to me with sad eyes, yet he somehow seemed excited as he stood there waiting for me to say something. "Do it," was all I said whilst giving him a head nod.

"It's going to hurt like hell." He shrugged and again, cringed at the sight.

"I know."

"It's not my fault if I break your arm."

"I know."

"And try to keep quiet, my mom'd think your... you know."

"I know." I said whilst covering my mouth with my free hand. I instantly squeezed my eyes shut, awaiting the new pain that'd probably erupt like a volcano. I had no idea how I was even capable of dislocating my shoulder by a shirt. I blame the creator of bras for not having a warning sign in which would say: "Be careful! It's guaranteed to break your arm!"

Before I knew it, Liam had pushed my arms upwards with a loud snap as I squealed like a little girl. Well more or less, I screamed. Liam was quick to react, and he pulled me into the most tightest hug possible; seeming to lessen the pain in my arm and creating it everywhere else.

"Sorry!" I could practically hear Liam cringing as he tried not to grab anywhere near my arm.

"It's okay," My voice came out as a squeak. I was anything but okay, but I tested my arm out anyway by rolling my shoulder ever so slowly. The bones clicked and wrenched together whilst tiny pricks of pain seared through the muscle. Even though it hurt, it was bearable, "It'll heal anyway."

Liam stepped back then, seeming pale as a ghost as his eyes quickly darted from my chest to the roof. He clasped his shaky together and made an 'err' sound while still managing to stare upwards, "You uh... y-you're not wearing a shirt."

I rolled my eyes but smirked to myself anyway, amused with how flustered his now reddened cheeks were, "You can look now," I said after managing to get on another one of his shirts. Luckily this one hadn't ended up stuck to me.

"You're an idiot." He said whilst uncovering his eyes. He then kissed me ever so slightly, but it was enough to make me all giddy again.

"You're the idiot, Dunbar." I laughed, attacking him by jumping onto him and showering him with kisses like I had wanted to do all that time.

My arm really hurt.

"This is my room. Of course it has my scent." I pointed out as the now snooping Malia and Stiles began rummaging around the contents of my drawers, closet and bathroom cabinet. I stood within the doorway; arms crossed and bemused to see the two of them ripping apart my own room. After coming home from Liam's this is not what I expected to see.

"And you were where?" Stiles' head popped out from the doorway to the bathroom, looking more serious and determined than ever.

It hadn't occurred to me that I'd ever need to tell Stiles of why I wasn't at home, so I bent the truth into a lie after remembering how Liam had told me not to say he was here, "I stayed at Lindy's, for your information." I said whilst plonking myself down onto my bed. Thanks to Malia, it was already a mess after her having jumped onto it previously.

Malia groaned, throwing aside one of my shirts as she stood up from her position on the ground, "Then why are you wearing Liam's shirt?"

I instantly looked down, tugging at the collar of the shirt whilst realizing that I really was wearing it. With my eyes wide and face a probable red, I shrugged while keeping my gaze locked on the floor, "I guess he left it here." Judging by the smirk on Stiles' face, I just knew he was comparing it to a sexual inuendo. But before he could open his sarcastic mouth, I cut him off by saying, "And why are you looking for Scott's things in my room?"

Malia and Stiles shot each other glances, ones of which either meant 'we hadn't thought of that' or 'we already tried that'. Stiles was the first to speak while walking out of the bathroom and into my room, "Well, we would've tried his, but the door was locked."
Now it was my time to smirk, "And you didn't think of unlocking it with, oh I don't know... claws?"

Malia stayed expressionless, but Stiles cringed and groaned, smacking his hand against his forehead, "I'm not a morning person, okay?"

I was tempted to make another joke, but after the sudden importance of needing to find Scott's scent hit me, I was jumping off of the bed and dashing down the hallway before Malia or Stiles had the chance of doing so themselves. After clumsily tripping on the way and regaining my balance, I made it to Scott's bedroom door and unlocked it within seconds after finally being able to control my claws without having to fully shift. For now though, I ignored that celebration and instantly rushed towards Scott's closet whilst Malia and Stiles entered the room behind me. After tugging at shirts on coat hangers and trying to pick up on any sort of scent, I began to realize that my nose was becoming blocked with each and every try. And then I discover why.

I was crying again.

"Hey, hey, hey..." Stiles said, grabbing ahold of my shoulders and softly pulling me back into him. He twisted me around, embracing me completely while I shielded my tear stained eyes and checks with my hands. His grip grew tighter, but his hug somehow managed to make me feel better.

"I c-can't," I couldn't finish my sentence since Stiles was quick to silence me was the coaxing of a 'shh' sound.

"I know, barbie." His voice sounded distant, and I could only wonder what his intake of the situation was. Scott was his best friend - a brother as he is mine - and he was acting as though nothing could provent him from doing whatever it takes to help find Scott. I wished I could be like that. "Everything'll be okay, okay? I know people only say that to make others feel better, but I mean it, Jess. We're going to find him."

I thought back to when Liam had said a similiar thing, and I was smiling through salty tears as I hugged Stiles back even tighter, "I know."

The thing was, I didn't know. I wasn't sure whether or not we would find him, and I most definitely didn't know if there would be anything of him left to find. Kate had taken him to Mexico, yes, but what her intentions may or may not be remained a mystery to me since I refused to believe my brother really could die. I've lost to many people.

I won't lose him.

Funnily enough, Liam was able to convince the others to let him tag along. After a short argument between him and Stiles on the topic of 'carbonite', we had already made it to the meeting point of which we were suppose to see Derek, Braeden, Lydia, and unfortunately, Peter. The meeting place was a place I had never seen before, and it looked much like a warehouse out of a horror movie.

I stepped out of Stiles' jeep along with Liam; the two of us having been crampt up within the backseats. Shaking off the cramps and annoying headache from Stiles' rambling on Star Wars, I continued to walk onwards until I was standing between Stiles and Liam. Having felt like a wreck earlier on, I felt stronger knowing that I wasn't the only one feeling how I do. Scott's disappearance was affecting everyone, and we were all doing our part to make things better again.

Braeden had just pulled into the lot to the right, the vehicle a US Marshal Prison Van. I felt my eyebrows crease in confusion the longer I stared at it, wondering how she could've gotten her hands on it. Stolen it? Borrowed? Stiles seemed to be asking the questions before I could once Braeden stepped out, "How did you get a prison transport van?"

"I'm a U.S. Marshal." Braeden smirked, looking as though she wanted to throw her head back in a fit of devious laughter.
Stiles frowned as I did, "Yeah, I just thought that was just a cover."

"So, you're a bounty hunter and a US Marshal?" I questioned, sounding far too sarcastic as I muttered "hopefully you don't murder us" under my breath. Liam brushed his hand against mine, causing me to look up and notice the smile on his face. I guess he had heard me.

Braeden remained silent, shooting Stiles and I bemused glares before the sound of a car engine blared throughout the warehouse, and a black car pulled into the lot alongside Braeden's said US Marshal van. Everyone stared in content as we watched Derek emerge from the car first, closely followed by Peter. I couldn't help but let out a huff of anger as Peter strode his way over to us, an unsettling calm in his posture. I still disliked the guy very much so. Not only did he turn my once nerdy brother into a werewolf, kill a handfull of residents within Beacon Hills last year, but he also managed to break my arm the night Scott was bitten. That bastard left me in a cast for five months.

"Are we really bringing him?" Derek asked while pointing over to Liam. I had almost expected him to say 'Are you really bringing them' as in Liam and me, but he was somehow okay with letting the also new beta tag along. I mean, I had known him since a young age thanks to his sister, Laura, being my baby sitter, so who knows if he trusts me enough to rip out his throat and tear his limbs apart. But yeah, i'm totally cool with tagging along to rescue my brother.

"Are we really bringing him?" Stiles countered, pointing at the devil of a man known as Peter Hale.

"You mean bring Peter to have him murder us when we're not looking? I think I'd rather kill him now than have to do it later." I said my thoughts aloud accidentally, but I hadn't regretted saying them one bit. However, once Peter looked over at me with a scowl, I knew it wasn't in the right to have said something if I wanted to keep my head. I had to work with this a-hole whether I wanted to or not, and I was definitely going to need his help if I wanted Scott back. Damn.

Liam squeezed my hand tighter, hovering his lips beside my ear while whispering, "Calm down."

I squeezed his hand equally as tight, knowing exactly what he was referring to. Having to be in the presence of Peter was setting me off, so much that I wanted to yell at him in a slur of words and blame him for everything. Which funnily enough, was true, because he had been the one to slice Kate's throat. If he hadn't of done that, who knows, maybe Kate would still be burried ten feet underground with a bullet wound to the chest rather than a few claw marks to the neck; thus having the power to turn her from psyco hunting human, to a bloodthirsty, yet crazed were-jaguar. What a time it is to be alive.

Peter looked like he wanted to grin deviously, but he only smirked while standing straighter; seeming to tower over us as if he wanted to show that he was once again 'always the alpha', "We're bringing everyone that we can, Jessica. And considering Scott and Kira were taken the night before a full moon, we should probably get going."

"Sure," I rolled my eyes, "But if you double cross us, don't say I didn't warn you."

"Peter," Malia interrupted before he could interject. Malia shot him a glare, and he returned a somewhat fatherly smile to her before she had the chance to roll her eyes as I did, "What's that mean? About the full moon?"

"If Kate took Scott back to the same temple that she took Derek, how do we know she's not planning to do the same thing to him? What, she wants to make him younger?"

"Or take him back to when he wasn't a werewolf." Derek added.

Peter explained further, and if it weren't for the importance of the information, I would have blanked out, "A werewolf can't steal a true Alpha's power. But maybe a Nagual jaguar, with the power of Tezcatlipoca behind her... maybe she can."

Stiles rubbed at his mouth - an obvious habit of his - and exchanged worried looks between Liam and I. He seemed to be thinking things over in his head, but his eyes seemed more distant than that; staring off into the horizon of what lay outside to work out why Scott deserved to be taken like this, to be taken only so Kate could fulfill her greed and renegade. Okay, maybe I was thinking that way and not Stiles, but he still looked very emotionally unstable.

"So, if everyone is sufficiently freaked out, I say we get going." Peter said, and I wondered whether or not I really had blanked out. Maybe he had said more beforehand, but I guess it didn't matter, because I was definitely freak out beyond compare.

"We can't." Stiles shook his head, dropping his hand from his mouth. His worry was replaced with seriousness, "Not without Lydia."

"You're staying here."

I wanted punch Liam in the face after hearing him say that.

"No." Was all I replied, my tone empty of any and all emotion. All I wanted, was to go with them and help. But it was looking to be less and less likely the more Liam convinced me otherwise.

"Look," He sighed, grabbing ahold of my upper arms while I instinctively backed myself into the side of the US Marshal van, "I know you want to come, I do, but you have to understand that -"

"That i'll be safer is I stay with Lydia." I nodded, although I was only doing it for the sake of letting know Liam that I understood. However, I was still determined to tag along.

"So you'll stay?" He asked as a goofy grin found it's way to his face. His hands let go of my arms, then held onto my hands. It was hard to not find adorable.

I grinned back, nodding my head at him which made his eyes light up in joy.
"No."

That light of joy in his eyes that I mentioned? Yeah, that was gone now; his smile replaced by a frown, "And this is why you're stubborn."

"Stubborn!" I exclaimed as Liam began walking away from me. Before he could hey any further, I tugged at his wrist and pulled him back to me, cringing at the sight of him smirking. God I hated him, "You're the stubborn one, Liam. I mean, you practically had to convince Stiles to let you come, whereas I could've gone free mindedly. But then you just had to -"

"Shut up." Liam was grinning again, his hand now covering my mouth in hopes of silencing me. Luckily for him, it was working, because my screams were already muffled, "You talk too much."

I licked his hand then, but he only stuck his tongue out at me as a reaction, "I herft foo."

"Huh?"

I rolled my eyes, slowing down my words even though I knew he couldn't understand me. Maybe if he took his hand away from my mouth, he'd be able to know what i'm saying, "I heerft fooo."

Luckily, Liam took his hand away from my mouth, and I was able to breath the air I so desperately needed in. He could have suffocated me, you know?

"I said." I pushed his chest, sending him stumbling back in laughter, "I hate you."

"No you don't."

"I could."

"Ey lovebirds!" Someone interrupted by practically shouting out to us. I turned my head to the way of the van to see that Derek and Stiles were now climbing inside, Stiles poking his head out with a grin, "Time to go!"

A strange emotion filled my stomach then. It was the kind I had ever only felt once in a lifetime, and that was when Scott, Stiles and Allison had sacrificed themselves in order to save their family - my family. The feeling was strange; hard to explain but very much so existant. I take it as it is, and decide that it can only be loss of hope, maybe even fear of what lies around the corner. This wasn't something I considered great, so I was hugging Liam in a tight embrace absentmindedly.

"Bring him back," Was the first thing I said, even though there was so much more I could have possibly told him, "I know you will."

Liam hold on tight as I closed my eyes, and I felt as though I could fall asleep right then and there. I hated to think that this could well on be the last time I see him - hold him - but I would rather be thankful for the present rather than mourn about the possible future.
The situation was much like when Allison had left; leaving my world at nothing.
I had to move on.

Before Liam could reply, Stiles interrupted by walking fourth, "Mason's waiting for you at school."

Liam pulled away from me, I now noticing Stiles hand Liam's phone back to him. Of course, Stiles was talking to me, so I nodded in response and gave him my best smile. An all too weird silence filtered it's way through us, and I guessed it was because we were all equally nervous and afraid for tonight.

"We can drop you off there if you'd like." Stiles offered after a while, rocking back and fourth on the heels of his shoes.

I shook my head politely, "Stiles, there's no time for that. If you had time to take me there, then you'd surely have time to get Lydia."

"Right," He nodded, his expression unreadable as he suddenly rushed into me with his arms spread out. I hugged him back, feeling as though he really was my brother because of how safe I felt knowing he would do right about anything to protect Scott and I. I felt him tense, but he relaxed after letting out a shaky breath, "Take care of yourself."

"You too."

The hug hadn't lasted long at all, and I was starting to feel empty once again as Stiles turned back towards the van and climbed inside. Derek shot me a smile before he too vanished out of site. I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever see them again either.

"Great," I sighed, turning to face Liam again. "How am I gonna get to school?"

Instead of replying, Liam shocked me quite completely by pulling me close to him and planting a small but meaningful kiss on my lips. He pulled away almost instantly, showing me a smile as he ran a hand through my messy excuse for hair, "You'll figure it out."

"What was that for?" I asked, referring to the kiss. I couldn't stop myself from grinning like an idiot, and I only hoped I didn't look like one.

Liam smiled, pulling me in much closer so that I had no choice but to rest my head on his chest, "Instinct."

Pain is only instinct, and instinct is what makes us human. Those were the words that ran through my mind as I held on tighter; too afraid to let go, "Cute."

"Be careful tonight. okay?" He said, his own voice muffled since he was busy leaving kisses at the top of my forehead. I had the urge to call him 'such a girl', but I easily resisted against it after nodding.

"Of course," I agreed, knowing very well that it was all I could do to help myself during the full moon. Hopefully I was well away from Mason when it happened, and maybe I could make it to Lydia's boat house in time before I attack anyone, "You too."

"Don't worry about me," Liam made a 'tsk' sound and pulled away so I was easily able to stare up at him, "I have Stiles, remember?"

I let out a laugh, but surpressed it after realizing it wasn't a humourous thing. Liam really did have Stiles, and not only that, but Derek. They'd teach him to control the shift, I knew that. I was more than thankful for that.

Liam and I just stared at each other for a while, doing nothing in particular except smiling like we were giddy about the existence of each other. Unfortunately, it all ended much too quickly once I began to realize Stiles had said it was time to go. I pulled away from him, the both of us shaking off the silence by laughing quietly.

"We'll find him. No matter what."

"I know you will." I repeated what I had said only ten minutes ago, but this time it felt finally. I now fully believed they would. I knew now that all I had to do was trust them, and I trusted Liam completely. I had given myself to him; my emotions, my thoughts and even my goddamn heart. Saying goodbye to him was becoming much more difficult, and it made me almost guilty to know Liam was fixing the broken heart I had earned not only by Scott's disappearance, but also by the death of one of my best friends; Allison. That place in my heart was permanently reserved for them, but Liam somehow managed to take complete and utter ownership of it. Whether I liked it or not, he was mine and I was his. I could've punched myself over how cheesy it was.

With one ever-lasting kiss. Liam was gone; along with the fear I had felt for so long. From the events of the dead pool, the Benefactor and the bite, I was completely rid of any and all of the terror I had experienced. I had finally let it go, and it was somehow because I had accepted it.

It was time to accept that this was my life now. I was a pawn within a giant game of chess, and I was currently winning alongside my friends. We were going to be okay.

I watched on as Peter's car led, followed by the US Marshall van. In front of them, was the orange tainted sunset, and behind them, was the girl of whom had plans of her own.
I rummaged in my pocket for a while before I found my phone, and pulled it out instantly. After searching through my contacts, I found who I was looking for and pressed the call button. It only took a quick two rings to get an answer.

"Hey Lindy." I said, letting out a sigh as I watched the cars disappear completely, "I need a ride."

Instead of asking what I thought she would, she sounded so happy to hear from me and practically asked a question with the most enthusiam I could have thought possible. "To where?"

I paused and thought. It was weighing down on me, everything from the past and present, yet I knew to stay in control. I had to sort through my thoughts just like I had that night at Lydia's boat house, and I needed to clear my mind of any and all things that still hadn't left yet. The thing is, I was finding it ten times as hard compared to the last time, because I was so wrapped up in the possibilities of the future that I could barely think of the present. So, I took in one deep breathe and let it out; hoping to erase any stress. My caught sight of Stiles' jeep, and I was again hating the fact that I was a freshman who wasn't elligable to drive yet. Lindy was my only option, so I took it.

"Mexico."

══════════════════

Published: November 12th [unedited]
[Playlist in external link]

A/N;
I'm actually really afraid to post this because I know that not a lot of people will be reading any more after the deletion. If you have no idea why that happened, it was because I accidentally deleted it, but I was able to recover it after messaging Wattpad staff. Unfortunately, my stories are no longer showing up when you search for them i.e if you were to look up Liam Dunbar in the search bar, Instinct won't be chilling on the mighty fine #4 mark, and Walls won't be at the #10 rank when you search Newt. And honestly, that sucks, because no one will see them anymore just like no one will see this update *sigh*
If you know how to fix this or let Wattpad know, can you pretty please with cherries on top inform me, because I really hate starting from scratch.

I'd like to thank those of you reading right now, and the ones of whom gave me advice of what to do. I'd be so lost without you guys! Hopefully I haven't lost too many readers, because it'd suck if they thought that Instinct was gone forever.

I hope that cleared up the mistake, bless you all and tbh I'm hungry - Olivia

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

75.4K 1.4K 16
Chris Evans is doing a press tour for his latest indie film. You're his good friend, even if sometimes you wish it could be ... more. He's interviewi...
1.4M 42.6K 45
HOSTAGE [ BOOK TWO ] ✧ WARNING: SMUT Harper Verum's sophomore year had not turned out at all how she expected it to. In fact, everything changed last...
1.7M 49.5K 111
𝐚 𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐯𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐭𝐨𝐧 𝐟𝐢𝐜 in which lily andrews realises she's fallen in love with her totally stupid, self-obsessed best friend.
657K 40.2K 104
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...