The Devils Backbone

By Skipology

Fanfiction based on the History Channels Hatfields and McCoys. [Book is a rough draft - needs heavy editing] ... More

CAST: The Hatfield Clan
CAST: The McCoy Clan
SOUNDTRACK
Across the River
Looming Airs
Timber
Blacker Berries
Cotton's Soup
Rain Water
Ominous
Hogswagglers Jury
Chores to Do
Election Day
Rose on the Doorstep
Too Far Gone
Counting Seconds
The Shack
Up to the Timber
Untitled Blooms
Pikeville
Close
Was There Peace in the Valley
Chill Down the Spine
Hammer and Nails
As Blood Sets the Table
Unease
In the Dark
Like Rain in the Sky
One Crossed the River
Lambs Last Mercy
Blood Toucheth Blood
Ever On
Trouble with Peace
Autumn Rain
Fire Starters
Laughter in the Dark
Irregular
A Call to the Wilds
Schemes
Comes A Knocking
Angels
Changing Winds
The Begining
Smoke Before The Blaze
Regrouping
How Deep the Water Runs
A Cabin in the Hills
High Alert
Heat the Frying Pan
Day in the Life
A Wild Ride
No Bells A Ringin'
For Want of a Nail
Killing Season
The Things You Sew
Start of a Charge
New Faces
The First Night
Battlezones
The Pine Box
When All Goes Right
Now's About Time
A Snake in the Roses
Quiet Thunder
The Color of Blood
Plans
Where the Apricots Grow
The Gut You Trust
Road to New York
At Ease
Something New
Adder in the Garden
The Dream Deferred
The Get Away
The Way Back
The Nerve
Mother May I
Daddy Dearest
Quiet Gatherings
Good Bad Spine
Sundance
Rock Bottom
Cold Dark Morning
Lost and Found
From The Pit
Winter's Sigh
A Wing to Mend
Two Came Knocking
Hard Luck, Shared Blood
For the Better?
A Merry Secret
An Unclever Ruse

Fibs and Folly

898 59 9
By Skipology

Back in the cold and misty hills of West Virginia, Johnsey road towards his father's home deep within the mountain's heart. His limbs felt numb and the chill of the aging autumn was warmer than his insides felt.

His mind took him back to that early morning. When he'd  heard the news he had road as fast as he could into Pikeville, had it been a safe idea? No, pinkertons, deputies, and  bounty hunters were all lingering about just wishing for a Hatfield to cross their path.

But no man would go on hidding after getting the news he'd  recieved from Nancy. Not even a man as cowardly as Johnsey.

He remembered the crack his heart made when he saw Roseanna leaving the mortuary with her aunt Becky. How the once vibrant  and bubbly young woman looked at him with exhaustion, sorrow and pain.

Her eyes lacking the shine they once had, her rosey cheeks pale, she looked older than she was. More beaten down than she ought to be - she wasn't  what he'd wanted for her.

The way Roseanna looked right through him before quietly slipping off to her wagon, as if he'd not been standing there at all. That cold un-gaze she'd  given still caused his chest to throb like arthritic bones.

Johnsey could remember the fresh smell of polished wood and new fabric as he gazed at the small but elegant coffin. Light oak with dark velvet inside.

Closing his eyes Johnsey continued up the road. He tried to shake the memory. What a time for Cap to be gone. As much as they differed, Johnsey wanted nothing more than to speak with his brother right now.

Johnsey went to knock at the front door when it swung open.

"Jonce?" Robert E. questioned with brows raised high. "I haven't seen you in days!" He cheered. But as he looked over his older brother he cast him a worried gaze.

"You don't  look so good Johnsey." said Robert E.

"Yeah, yeah I look about how's I feel too. Where you headed?" Johnsey asked. Robert E. peered back into the house and quietly closed the door behind him.

"We gotta letter from Cap saying they made it to new york. And one from when they was still on the road bout a day or so back." Robert E. said.

"So? What's that got to do with where you're  a'goin' now?" Johnsey asked brow raised.

"This last letter says they got ambushed once. But New York is awfully far for bushwackers to be huntin' 'em. I'm gonna go to Cap and Chyna's place, Clints there watchin' things. I figure he can help me figure out who's tellin." Robert E. said.

"That is odd, is Cap ok?" Johnsey asked trying his best to mask his concern. Robert E. gave a quiet chuckle. "Hell, you kiddin? Cap could run off as many of them as they could afford to send." He said.

Johnsey exhaled. "Alright, well, how's it going up there...at that place?" Johnsey's voice took on a slightly timid air. "Huh? Why do you care? You don't  like Chyna or folk like her an' that place gots lots of them." Robert E. questioned.

He was starting to worry that Johnsey might have hit his head on the way. Then again, he didn't mind this, maybe it knocked more sense in him.

"Ooooh" Johnsey sang in a sigh as he kicked lightly at the dirt, thumbs hooked into his belt. "Nothing...not really just- Curious. I heard from Luella that  it was s'posed to be a peaceful place...that don't  seem to bad right about now." Johnsey muttered.

Robert E. shook his head "Cap wouldn't let you go with Nancy." He said. Johnsey frowned and narrowed his eyes, his gaze towards the dirt.

"She just needs for folk to give her a chance is all." He grummbled.

"We did." Robert E. snickered.

"Cap says Cotton likes the place, he said they didn't get a real good look'round. But that it's  a great big place, it has lots of gardens, crop fields and orchards. That the pathway up to it is lined with great big trees. Says it's somewhere around a small town called Clarence. " Robert E said.

Johnsey nodded, "I might...spend a few days up here just to watch over things since Cap ain't here." He said.

Robert E's eyes grew wide. "You sure you ain't sick or dyin'" he gasped. Johnsey glared "ha, very funny." He grumbled.

"Come on, then if you're  coming with me. I'm already late." Robert E said heading towards the hitching post.

From within the Hatfield home Sarah watched a round old man with her arms crossed. "You know it ain't  nice to evesdrop uncle Jim." She said, her voice mimicking her mother's tone when she herself got into trouble.

"Well, who ever told you I was nice, little missy." He said with a chuckle slowly straightening up. "Nobody. Jus' figured it's time you start to try. God don' like ugly, is what momma says. And you're old uncle Jim." Sarah said with a shrug as she left to fetch herself some water.

"He ain't too fond of cute neither." Jim grumbled. Once he could no longer hear the two boys he stepped outside a pleased smirk on his face.

_______________________________

"I'm telling you, we got a witness says she saw the boy steal the boat piece." Said the deputy, looking up at Cap and Jon from his desk.

Cap's gaze was dry and his eyes shimmered with annoyance. "I assure you sir, these boys are golden examples of today's young ones. They have been brought up right - you have in fact made a mistake." Jon tried to reason.

"We ain't did  nothing ca-"

Cap's heart raced a bit as he cleared his throat to hush Cotton "quiet now, let us talk to the man. It's gon' be ok." Cap said quickly but calmly.

"Alright..." Cotton sighed backing away from the bars. Huck leaned over and whispered "I don't  think he wants the deputy to know his name."

"Oh" Cotton gasped and gave a quiet nod.

"Look, Jon. We know you try your best with Daisy's boy. But we got evidence that says he stole from the store."

As Jon listened to the deputy talk Cap could tell he was losing his patience. "Well, you keep saying so but you ain't showed us nothin." Cap said crossing his arms.

Tilting his head slightly he sized the deputy up. "I wouldn't  give a lone pissed on penny for your word. So show us what the boys stole." Cap added.

"And just who are you?" The Deputy  asked through narrowed eyes. "Have I seen you before?" He asked.

Cap chuckled "I'm that other  boys gaurdian...an' a friend of Jon's. And I don't  know you mister and I don't  care to know you." Cap said, his voice got quieter as he took some steps close to the desk.

"Now I gotta life waitin' for me, an' the boys and Jon to come on home. I've  got prolly less than an hour before she panics and shows up down here." Cap said his eye locked onto the Deputy's gaze.

"You sure you want to deal with a loud, angry woman yelling all your ears clean off? Causin' a fuss cause you got her boy in bars with no proof or reason other than some one nobody else seen says so?" Cap said, words now a whisper.

"Sounds awfully  bad for the town reputation doesn't it?" He tagged on.

The Deputy glanced past Cap to Jon who help an amused smirk on his face.

"W-we got evidence  I'll  show you." The Deputy  said shuffling through his pockets. Meanwhile Cotton chuckled to himself silently "He ain't got it no more." Cotton whispered. "That the thing you did?" Huck asked to which Cotton nodded.

Cap arched a brow and watch the Deputy  fumble about. "Sure you got it?" Cap said with a viper like smile.

Meanwhile Chyna rushed down the road towards town, fingers latched into the mane of the horse. She was thankful this road into town wasn't  an awfully busy one.

Ahead of her she could see a dark brown slightly  fancy coach turning from the fork in the road, headed her way.

Out of its window popped a smiling face.

"Chyna! My dear girl is that you?" He called joyfully. Chyna slowed the horse down with a bit of a struggle allowing the coach to pull up next to her. "Benny?" She questioned.

"You look like you've been nearly zapped by lightning. What's the matter?" Benny asked.

Chyna paused and watched him for a moment. She wanted to tell him lots of things to answer his question, yet only one was pressing. "Jon went to town with Cap, Roana, Cotton and Huck. An' Roana comes back an, says the boys gon' missing. I'm sure Ronda aims to send some folk looking but...I wasn't  gonna stay sittin' on my hands." Chyna spoke these things in one breath.

Benny's smile fell, "Roana, huh?" He asked slowly. He then sighed, getting out the coach he went to help Chyna off the unsaddled horse.

"First things first, let's get you down from there, that is hardly safe." He said. Once Chyna was down Benny reached into the coach and pull out a spare old pair of reigns.

With them and a rope he teat he'd the horse to the other words horses pulling the coach.

"Change of plans Harry, take us to Clarence please." Benny asked the coach driver.

Chyna got in the coach an Benny after her.

"We'll  see what's happened once we get there. Though, I'm  curious as to why Jon would have sent Roana back with I formation so important." Benny said. His words seemed distant as if he were only talking to himself.

"Why's that?" Chyna asked.

"One Roana is miserably unfond of quests, and two - well, she is a grand old lair." Benny sighed.

Chyna scowled "you sayin' she mighta lied? Why?" She asked.

Benny shrugged "its what she does when she doesn't like someone. Roana has a face you instantly want to believe, it's how she always gets her way." Benny said.

"Well...she don't seem to like the three of us much. But she ain't even gave us a chance. I've  hardly said anything to her." Chyna said, glancing out the window.

"But I wouldn't mind if she was lying this time. It'd  be worse if she was tellin' it true." Chyna added.

"We will get your men back, Chyna. Whatever the case. And if I'm right, Roana and I will have a chat." Benny said.

Chyna gave a nod and a bit of a smile. She wanted to believe Benny she had to believe Benny, after all there wasn't  a Hatfield calvary  all the way out here. She had to trust him and Jon.

But could she trust the others as well?

____________________________

"I swear I  had it...I must have left it in the shop..." said the Deputy. "If you'd  allow me to just go and retrieve the item..." he added.

"Pardon me but is that not a bit curious? How are we to know you haven't pluck an item from the store yourself just to keep your claims alive?" Jon asked narrowing his eyes.

"You know me Jon. I woukdnt-" as the Deputy went to speak the door flung open. "Deputy, I've come to file a mis-" Benny's words faded as he looked up and spotted Cap, Jon and the boys in a cell.

"Well, maybe I haven't...what is going on here?" Benny asked.

Chyna rushed from around him and straight to the bars. "Chyna!" Cotton called wrapping his hands around them.

"Cot? Why's you in there?" She asked, her eyes fell on Huck "you alright?" She asked him. Huck smiled "I'm just fine ma'am." He said.

"Good," Chyna sighed, she turned a sharp eye to the Deputy. "But you ain't gonna be if you don't  let'em out right now." She demanded.

"Lady look the boys stole from-"

"They a it stole nothin' they aren't  the type. You let them lose." Chyna raged.

"Now listen here I'm  a civil man but I am not gonna let a colored woman yell at me while I'm at my own desk!" The Deputy shouted, he'd  had enough of being pressed and yelled at.

"Hey! Watch your tone with her." Cap warned.

"Everyone...enough. is there any proof?" Benny asked his eyes on the Deputy. "He says so, yes. But he hasn't  produced anything." Jon answered.

"Says he left it back in the store." Cap added in.

"Well, then it is simple. I and the deputy will go back to the shop. If he can in fact give us evidence we will speak about a fair but reasonable punishment  for the boys and if not, they are free to return home." Benny said with a cheerful smile.

"Right?" He asked the Deputy, but something in his tone told  everyone, he wasn't  asking.

"R-right of course. Come with me, then." The Deputy  said nerviously leading Benny out the door.

"Whats going on? Roana send you here with Benny?" Cap asked. Chyna shook her head "no, I overheard Roana tellin' Ronda that Huck and Cotton was missin. That the law got 'em and you an' Jon was after them. So I was headed to town when I came across Benny on the road."  Chyna explained.

Cap frowned "missing? They wasn't  missing. They got lied on." Cap said.

"And I'm afraid...you have felt with the same liar. I knew sending Roana back was a mistake but someone needed to know what was going  on." Jon said heaving a great sigh.

"You mean Roana was the one who lied about the boys stealin?" Cap asked.

"We won't  know until we ask the Deputy, however, it very well could be." Jon said.

"Oh she'd do it, mean old she gator. Hates that I ask to go with her everyone she heads into town." Huck chimed in.

Chyna turned on her heel and headed for the door. "Where are you going?" Cap asked, following her. "Back to the estate, I'm  gonna smack the black off that surly snobby belle." Chyna murmured. Cap laughed inwardly and with an tickled smile carefully took Chyna's hand leading her back to him.

"Not the best idea," he chuckled "we'll let Benny and Jon handle their own. We still need to make a good impression." Cap said.

Chyna looked up at him "Cap she's telling everybody we're rough'n'tumble trouble makers - bring that trouble with us to them." Chyna said.

Cap rubbed the back of his neck, "hell if they read any of the papers...I'm  not suprised." He murmured.

"But you all aren't bad people. Roana knows, Benny and Jon wouldn't  let bad people in our home." Huck said quickly shaking his head with a frown upon his face.

"Roana is...cautious. that's all." Jon sighed.

"No, no, she's  mean. A rattle snake is cautious too but at least it warns you before bitting." Huck added in.

Cap and Chyna looked to each other, this wasn't going as well as they'd  hoped. "Welp, you know what they say 'bout jumping to great expectations." Cap said to her.

"But we still can make this work." He added giving her a bit of a smile.

The door opened and in came a frowning Deputy who was apologizing profusely. "Honestly we had it it was a little golden ships wheel." He said.

"I've heard enough. You're  lucky I don't tell the Sheriff about this miserable blunder you have made. Smearing the good name of two young boys." Benny scolded.

The Deputy walked past Cap, Jon and Chyna without the slightest eye contact. He quickly took up his keys and opened the cell.

Chyna held out her arms welcoming  otton and Huck to her. She held her close and glared at the Deputy.

"Come on let's get back home." Jon said, he left Chyna and the boys exit the sheriff's office before him. Once outside Cotton ran for the bushes. Shuffling about for a short while he finally  came back, placing the wheel back into Huck's hands. "There you can fix your ship when we get back, I can help." Cotton said.

Huck smiled "thanks Cotton Top." He said.

Cap cast one last glare towards the deputy before leaving with a tipping of his hat. "Go to the coach, I'll  be out soon." Benny told Cap, his gaze stuck on the deputy.

Cap gave a nod ad made his way out.

"Maybe you've  forgotten what my family is to this state. Or need I remind you - my father was the one who pulled your father out of the noose for what he'd  done to..." Benny's words faded out as the doors closed behind Cap.

"I'm glad everyone is ok." Chyna said finally exhaling. She gave a shakey smile. Cap climbed in and sat next to her, she rested a hand on his knee. "We're all jus' fine Chyna. Was just a small, ridiculous mistake is all." Cap said.

"Mistake my foot," Chyna said crossing her arms. She could feel anger bubbling up in the bit of her stomach. "I'm Roana don't  like us she could jus' said so an' have that be the end of it." She went on.

"I will admit, it's a large lie even for Roana." Jon said.

"There's no telling how much trouble she stirred up back home." Huck said.

"Well...they'll  believe us if we tells the truth, right? We ain't did nothin. An' we've been real nice to everybody." Cotton said, he looked between everyone with sad eyes. "If you tell the truth you're  not s'posed to get in no trouble." He added.

"You're  right Cotton. But I'm afraid some folks lies can be stronger than the truth sometimes." Chyna said offering a weak smile. "If know that better than I ought to." She said, Chyna couldn't help but picture Nancy's face.

It brought back a sour taste in her mouth.

"Wonder how Johnsey is holding up back down there with her. Hopefully he ain't messed nothin' up..." Cap said. He was hidding well,  but Chyna and Jon could sense the hint of worry in his voice.

"Johnsey is a blockhead. But he is a lucky one. He'll be jus' fine." Chyna said.

Benny finally got into the coach, the sun would be setting very soon. He gave a tired smile to them all and fixed his jacket as he took a seat. "Well, that matter is settled. Now, we go home and deal with the other half." He said.

"What you gonna do to Roana? Make her muck out the stalls for a month?" Huck asked.

"More than that. But I need to know why she's doing this first." Benny said. Silence fell over everyone as the coach headed for the estate.

Jon coughed and sat a little taller "so, Benny heard anything on the marriage cancelation?" He asked trying desperately to change the subject if only for a moment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

128 7 23
Crescent Bloodfang (Cress Fang) was kidnapped along with her twin Terrance (Terry) at a young age. They grew up living with a human couple, one didn'...
80.8K 4.6K 33
โš ๏ธAlthough not necessary, I suggest you read Torn first since this story references characters from that story and may contain some spoilers. โš ๏ธ Alic...
11.2K 436 28
THIS IS THE SECOND BOOK IN THE GOOD AND THE BAD SERIES. IT IS NOT REQUIRED THAT YOU READ THE FIRST ONE BUT I RECOMMEND THAT YOU SHOULD. *** "I'm not...
136K 5.2K 60
**** COMPLETE **** This novel centers around Faith, a young black woman in her early 20s that's given up on the thought of love. That is until she fi...