Eunoia

By readerandwriterinme

"Sometimes I wonder what that brain of yours is thinking about." I jump and turn to see the one and only. "G... More

incipience: the act of bringing into existence
wing-ding: a lively event or party.
brusque: rudely abrupt or blunt in speech or manner
astrophile: a person who loves stars
minutiae: the small, precious details that make one unique
akrasia: the lack of self-control
parapraxis: a slip of the tongue to reveal unconscious wishes
opia: the ambiguous intensity from looking someone in the eye
succumb: to surrender to
dormiveglia: the space that stretches between sleeping and waking
psithurism: the sound of the wind in the trees
parry: to evade especially by a clever answer
caliginosity: the darkness, obscurity
raconteur: a talented storyteller
dubious: fraught with uncertainty or doubt
solivagant: wandering alone
dépaysement: change of scenery
fugue: loss of memory, identity
prevarication: a deviation from the truth
rort: a fraudulent or dishonest act or practice.
billet-doux: a love letter
espy: to see
not an update but look!!! new cover art!!!
tempestuous: strong and turbulent emotion; stormy
lacuna: an unfilled space or interval; a gap.
shrive: hear the confession of and absolving
selcouth: unfamiliar yet marvelous
anuptaphobia: the fear of staying single
kilig: the inexplicable joy after doing something romantic
i have some important q's at the end of this!

fugacious: fleeting or transient

628 27 23
By readerandwriterinme

I shivered as I padded up the stairs of Green Gables, wringing out my hair. Gilbert let me borrow his jacket, and I've been trying to ignore the urge to inhale the scent that wavered over the clothing, but to no avail. I sat on my bed and stared at the flannel jacket gripped in my hands, taking in a big whiff. His cologne mixed with something so inherently him filled my nostrils. I bit back a smile.

Marilla knocked on the door and I threw the jacket under my bed as she walked in. "I came to see if you were feeling better--" she stopped and stared at my sopping wet hair, "Good heavens, child! Have you been out in the rain?"

I stuttered over my words trying to get an answer out. In the midst of my internal struggles, I had forgotten that I was supposed to be acting sick.

"I..uh...took a shower," I forced out a believable smile and Marilla gave me a look.

"With all your clothes on?"

My eyes went wide as the gears in my mind turned to think of a lie, "I forgot to completely dry myself off?" It was more of a question rather than a believable lie.

She sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose, "Just...get some rest. And try to dry off better next time. You'll make your cold worse." She left while muttering to herself and shaking her head.

Wait, that actually worked?!

I started towel drying my hair and shot Gilbert a text.

"Might have to sneak out, don't park too close. Marilla thinks I'm sick."

"Such a criminal."

"Shut up Blythe."

"I'll be there at 4. Will you need some help climbing down the side of your two-story house?" I could almost feel his mockery as he sent me the message.

"I can handle myself."

"Alright, Shirley ;)"

I rolled my eyes and got dressed. I got dressed in my favorite jean skirt and top yet I still didn't feel too confident about tonight. In fact, I was beyond nervous--not only was I hanging out with Gilbert, but Gilbert and his friends. I hoped that Charlie would invite Diana and the rest of them, but there was no telling.

I opened the door of my room and stood at the top of the stairs. Marilla couldn't see that I was dressed to go out, but I couldn't have her checking up on me again. I faked a cough and yelled out in my best sick voice, "I'm going to sleep for the night, Marilla. Love you! Also no need for dinner, I'm not hungry." I shuffled back to my room before she started asking questions.

Now, how am I gonna get out?

I looked at the magnificent Snow Queen which sat peacefully outside my window. I shrugged and started climbing down, hoping it wouldn't be too dangerous. Once I was at the bottom, I broke into a sprint to Gilbert's car which was further down the road like I told him to park.

When he saw me, he smirked, "Well someone's trying to impress. You look good, Shirley."

I rolled my eyes, "Let's just go, we don't want to be late."

We arrived at Charlie's. I wiped my hands on the skirt, nervously hoping I wasn't sweaty or anything. Gilbert must've noticed because he took my hand in his and gave me a reassuring squeeze.

"If you wanna leave at any time, just let me know. I don't want to force you to be here," He gave me a small smile.

I shook my head and steadied myself, "We're just hanging out with your friends. I should be perfectly fine." 

Why was I putting so much weight onto this?

"Well, Charlie invited your friends too since he wanted Diana there so badly," I let out a sigh of relief and smiled at Charlie's reasoning.

Gilbert let go of my hand and got out of the car. He shuffled over to my side and opened the door for me. Normally, I would've gotten mad for the unnecessary chivalry, but I was too caught up to say anything other than a light thank-you.

We went inside and saw all of our friends. And Josie. I hope this all goes well...

"Anne!" Diana exclaimed. She ran over and hugged me. She looked over at Gilbert and then back to me, "Did you guys come here...together?ed

I started stuttering out an answer, but Gilbert beat me to it, "Sort of."

Diana gave me a look, but I gave her one back that said, "I'll explain later."

Someone knocked on the door and Ruby shot up, "I'll get it!" she shrieked. She opened the door and Jerry stood on the other side of it.

"I hope I'm not too late," he smiled down at Ruby. She stared at him as she did at Gilbert just a few weeks ago.

"Not at all," she breathed out, her heart eyes as prevalent as ever.

Charlie cleared his throat and the both of them looked up, "You guys mind closing the door? It's cold out."

Jerry closed the door and Ruby followed him to the couch.

"I'm bored!" Josie yells out. She stands up and looks around at us, thinking. Her face brightened and she smirked, "I got it...how about we play truth or dare?"

A chorus of disagreement swept over us, but Josie was already forcing everyone into a tight circle. Gilbert looked down at me and shrugs. He took my hand and we squeezed into the circle together.

Josie started the game off, "Ruby! Truth or dare?"

Ruby watched as all of us stared at her and shrunk into herself. Jerry gave her a playful nudge and she giggled. She looked up at Josie, "Uh, truth?"

"What's happening between you and Jerry?"

We all leaned forward, waiting for the answer to the elephant in the room.

Ruby's eyes went wide, "Is it that obvious?" 

We all laughed and gave a group 'yes'. 

"Well," she began, "Jerry started coming to my house to do yard work and clean the pool every Saturday. I guess that's when it all started. I would sit outside and watch...I know how creepy that sounds but after everything that had happened," she motioned to Gilbert, "It was nice to finally be able to be okay with thinking someone else is cute. Jerry asked me out last week and we've gone out on two dates so far."

Jerry laced his hand with hers and gave a quick kiss on her cheek. I smiled at them and gave a little 'aw'. I didn't realize Gilbert never let go of my hand, but I'm made very aware of it when he started rubbing little circles with his thumb on my palm. A shiver went down my spine and I got light goosebumps on my forearm. 

Gilbert looked at this and muttered, "Guess I still have an effect on you." I elbowed him in the side, but he just smiled down at me.

After answering her truth, Ruby looks around the circle, "Diana, truth or dare?"

"Dare!"

Charlie whispered something in her ear which causes her to giggle. Ruby smirked at this, "Diana, I dare you to give Charlie a haircut."

Charlie's eyes went wide which makes the rest of the circle laugh. Diana agreed, laughing the hardest out of all of us. Everyone followed the couple to the bathroom to see how it went, but Gilbert and I stayed seated on the floor. 

I turned to him, "How do you think that's going to go?"

"Knowing how much Charlie likes Diana, there's nothing she could do to make him too upset."

"Yeah? How much does Charlie say about Diana?"

He laughed, "WAY too much for my liking." I cringed but joined him in his laughter.

We laughed for a second longer but he suddenly just smiled and said, "I could listen to that laugh for hours."

I turned to him as he stared at me. Not just a normal stare, the kind that Jerry gave Ruby. Like he didn't want to look at anything else. The same stare he had on the bench before kissing me. My breath went jagged as I try to move my eyes away from Gilbert but to no avail. The same golden gleam in his eye shone just for me and I was in a trance.

We started to lean in before we were interrupted by the group coming back to the circle. I flew away from Gilbert and he did the same, but he had a grin that tells Diana exactly what almost happened. Charlie came in last and had a messy undercut. He turned around to model the look and we're howling at this point as he vogued his hands over his face.

Everyone sat back down as the game continued. Diana stared at me and my eyes went wide. 

Oh no.

"Truth or dare, Anne?"

I stuttered as everyone looked at me, Gilbert included.

"Um...dare?"

She gave a devious grin, "Well, I dare you to play seven minutes in heaven with...Gilbert."

I should've picked truth.

Gilbert hesitantly held his hand out for me to take as if I would immediately deny it. He gave me a look that said, "You don't have to do this," but I watched the group and all of them had the same devious smile...except for Josie who was glaring at me with everything she had. 

I looked at Gilbert's hand and took it reluctantly.

.....................................

A/N

Okay...so I know how mean it is to end it here, but its already 1,636 words and I plan on continuing this little thing for MUCH longer. School's been hard, updates are not as constant as they started out being, but I hope you guys are liking it.

Thank you for reading!

<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

206K 7.4K 29
Gilbert Blythe has a serious problem when it comes to Anne Shirley-Cuthbert - he stares at her too much! "Do you believe in soulmates?" he asks, half...
122K 3.8K 38
Gilbert left Avonlea and Anne, but surely not forever? Here's how we think Gilbert Blythe will return! - A collection of one-shots about Gilbert's r...
246K 9.6K 47
"Come home some day." Gilbert Blythe has been away for almost two years. Upon his return to Avonlea, he finds that things have changed and there is a...
18 0 1
Anne and Gilbert haven't seen each other in almost 5 years, not since the Great Letter Incident (where Anne wrote a letter that Gilbert never receive...