Mountain Falls (Screenplay)

By jgblodgett26

** ~ Winner in the 2020 @EYHO_AWARDS ~ ** Two weeks after James and his pregnant wife are knocked into a coma... More

Title/Intro Page
Part 1
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12

Part 2

63 24 87
By jgblodgett26

INT. HOSPITAL - MORNING

James lies in a coma in a dimly lit room. Silence, except for the heart monitor and respirator. The heart monitor starts to beep faster. James begins to sweat and breathe heavily.

INSERT: QUICK FLASH OF THE LIGHTNING STRIKE.

BACK TO SCENE

James opens his eyes and gasps. He looks around then begins to panic.

JAMES:  Hello?... (beat) Is anyone there?... (beat) SOMEBODY HELP ME!!

INT. HOSPITAL EXAM ROOM - LATER

Bright white-on-white room. James sits in a wheelchair. He stares at the floor. Dr. Slate sits opposite to James asking questions.

DR. SLATE (O.S.):  Mr. Durant, my name is Dr. Slate. I have been caring for you and your wife for the past two weeks. (beat) You've been in a coma due to the shock you received from the accident.

James stares and says nothing.

DR. SLATE (O.S.):  Mr. Durant, can you recall what happened?

James still says nothing.

DR. SLATE (O.S.):  Mr. Durant, can you hear—

JAMES:  How long have I been here?

James looks up for the first time to see the doctor. DR. SLATE(53) is balding and quite large in stature.

DR. SLATE:  Two weeks, as I said before.

JAMES:  Where is here?

DR. SLATE:  My apologies. You are at Mountain Falls hospital in Crystal Springs, Washington.

James looks down again, he searches his mind.

JAMES:  What day is it?

DR. SLATE:  Today is Saturday, June fifteenth, two thousand and twelve.

JAMES:  How did I get here?

DR. SLATE:  You and your wife were flown in by helicopter. Your neighbors saw what happened and called nine-one-one.

James looks up, a look of concern on his face.

JAMES:  Is Nina alright?

DR. SLATE; She's stable. She is still in a coma, but we are hopeful that she will wake up any time now, just as you did.

James tears up.

JAMES:  And the baby?

DR. SLATE:  The baby is fine. We had to do an emergency C-section the night you and your wife were flown in. (beat) I've never had to announce this kind of news under such circumstances before, but, you are now the father of a nine pound, four ounce baby girl. (beat) Congratulations.

James' lip quivers as he fights back some tears.

JAMES:  And she's okay?

DR. SLATE:  Yes. A healthy baby girl.

James smiles and the tears come flowing.

JAMES:  Can I see her?

Dr. Slate smiles and nods.

INT. HOSPITAL - NURSERY VIEWING WINDOW - MOMENTS LATER

James admires his new BABY GIRL(2 weeks), a full head of dirty blonde hair, through the viewing window of the nursery.

Dr. Slate approaches and rests a hand on James' shoulder.

DR. SLATE:  She's quite beautiful.

JAMES:  Yeah, she is.

DR. SLATE:  What are you going to name her?

JAMES:  (ponders for a moment) Gwendalynn.

DR. SLATE:  That's a beautiful name.

They both take in the sight of new life for a moment. Dr. Slate breaks the silence.

DR. SLATE (CONT'D):  (softly) Would you like to see your wife now?

James touches the glass then looks at Dr. Slate and nods his head.

INT. HOSPITAL - NINA'S ROOM - MOMENTS LATER

Nina lies in a coma in a similar, dimly lit room. Her heart monitor beeps. Her respirator hisses.

James enters, the open door fills the room with light from the hallway. He slowly wheels his chair to her bedside and takes her hand in his.

JAMES:  Hi, baby... (beat) It's me.

James starts to sob but fights it back.

JAMES (CONT'D):  The doc says you should wake up any day now.

James lowers his head and kisses her hand.

JAMES (CONT'D):  Guess what? (beat) You're a mommy. (chokes up) I named her Gwendalynn. I know it's not one of the names we talked about, but, she really looks like a Gwen. (smiles) She's so pretty.

James wipes his eyes.

JAMES (CONT'D):  The doctor says I'll be here for a few months while I go through physical therapy. I'll visit you often. (beat) I'll go and look after our little girl now. I'll bring her in to see you later. (beat) I love you, Nina.

James kisses Nina on the cheek and leaves the room.

MONTAGE - JAMES TAKES CARE OF NINA AND GWENDALYNN

-- James taking care of Nina and Gwendalynn in the hospital.

-- James going through rehabilitation sessions.

-- Some of James' FAMILY visiting.

-- James getting to know Gwendalynn, playing with her on Nina's bed.

-- James sitting by Nina's side pleading with her to wake up.

-- James staring blankly out a hospital window.

END MONTAGE.

INT. HOSPITAL - NINA'S ROOM - DAY

James sits at Nina's side; he pleads for her to wake up.

JAMES:  Please, baby. You have to wake up. I don't know if I can do this alone. (beat) I need you.

Dr. Slate enters from behind.

DR. SLATE:  James?

JAMES:  Yeah? Oh, hey doc.

DR. SLATE:  James, you can't keep doing this to yourself. I know you want to be with her. But you must go on with your life. (beat) I think Nina would want it that way.

JAMES:  I know. It's just hard.

DR. SLATE:  I know it is. But you must go on, James. You have a baby girl now.

JAMES:  What if she wakes up?

DR. SLATE:  Then you will be the first to know. I promise. But you must understand, James. She... she may never...

JAMES:  (getting frustrated) You said five months ago she could wake up any day now. (beat) Do you remember saying that to me, doc? (beat) What happened to any day now?!

DR. SLATE:  (remains calm) I'm sorry, James. We were hoping since you woke up—

JAMES:  You were hoping?!

DR. SLATE:  Yes, James, just as you were. You know as well as any how this works. We have no choice but to just wait... and hope.

James takes one last look at Nina lying there, silent and unresponsive.

INT. HOSPITAL - NINA'S ROOM - NEXT DAY

James just finishes packing up some clothes. He grabs Gwendalynn and sits by Nina.

Gwendalynn is able to sit up quite well on her own now.

JAMES:  Well, baby, I have to go now. I know you'll come back to us soon. I'll try and visit twice a week, and I'll bring the baby always. (to Gwen) Say bye-bye to mommy, Gwendalynn.

James kisses Nina on the cheek then gets up to leave. He just reaches the door when he hears Nina's voice.

NINA (O.S.):  (weakly) James.

James is startled. He turns to see that Nina still lies there motionless. He walks over to her bed.

JAMES:  Nina?

No response. James leans in closer. Tears welling in his eyes.

JAMES (CONT'D):  Baby?

James is inches from her face when her eyes pop open. Pure white. She screams a horrible, unearthly scream.

CUT TO:

INT. DURANT'S HOUSE - BEDROOM - MORNING

James wakes and shoots upright in a cold sweat in his own bedroom. He gasps as he tries to catch his breath.

Gwendalynn coos and fusses on the baby monitor. James calms down, wipes the sweat from his brow, then drags himself out of bed and goes to check on his baby girl.

BABY'S ROOM

A cute little room. The light yellow has been replaced with Pink-on-pink paint and decor. Typical baby girl's room for first time parents.

He finds Gwendalynn sitting up in her crib. She smiles up at daddy. He scoops her up and takes her to the changing table and changes her diaper and clothes.

James then grabs a blanket from the crib and they head for the kitchen.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Killian By Amber

Teen Fiction

1.4K 195 34
"I lost him, he's gone. If I'm not careful I will be too" -------------------------- He looks healthy now. His cheeks are rosy red, his lips aren't...
240 0 32
------------- "Why're you staring at me?" I ask teasingly. I hear him letting out a breath, of embarrassment or guilt I don't know. "I may have unint...
9.4K 1K 25
||WATTYS 2021 SHORTLIST|| ||FREE STORY WITH PAID BONUS CONTENT|| Allison, the front woman of rising rock band Hell Flower, has been experiencing biza...
17.6K 2.3K 24
|WATTYS 2022 WINNER - HORROR| Shawn, a convicted criminal, never thought she'd see the sun again, let alone call another star system her home. When s...