The Healer

By MISSCESANIA

Liliana West is a Healer from Sandovia. She was living her life peacefully until the son of a High Lord asked... More

The Day Everything Changed
Chapter 1: Chasing West
Chapter 2: Setting the Kindle
Chapter 3: The Start of Something New
Chapter 4: Comfortable
Chapter 5: A Knight and A Snake
Chapter 6: Hubris Prince
Chapter 7: Bearing The Weight
Chapter 8: Company
Chapter 9: Ambush
Chapter 10: That Escalated Quickly
Chapter 11: Officially Branded
Chapter 12: Day One Conflict
Chapter 13: Visitor
Chapter 14: Day Out
Chapter 15: Pay What You Owe
Chapter 17: I Trust You
Chapter 18: A Good Idea?
Chapter 19: Didn't See That Coming
Chapter 20: The Unexpected Guest
Chapter 21: Comfortable
Chapter 22: Stand up Against
Chapter 23: Sealed
Chapter 24: Duchess of Araenon
Chapter 25 : Surprisingly, Tea Helps
Chapter 26 : Shattered Pieces of The Past
Chapter 27 : Unexpected Pair-Up
Chapter 28 : To Protect
Chapter 29 : The Infiltration (Part I)
Chapter 30 : The Infiltration (Part II)
Chapter 31 : Hesitation
Chapter 32 : Long Live the Duchess
Chapter 33 : Home
Chapter 34 : Clear
Chapter 35 : The Promise
Chapter 36 : A Specter from The Past
Chapter 37 : The Pirate King
Chapter 38 : Truth
Chapter 39 : Judgement
Chapter 40 : Near the Coast
Chapter 41 : Attack
Chapter 42 : Right on Time
Chapter 43: Sacrifice
Chapter 44: The Beginning of an End
Chapter 45: Fated

Chapter 16: The Warning

1.7K 114 12
By MISSCESANIA

THE NEXT MORNING, as soon as I woke up, I went straight to the infirmary kung saan naabutan ko ang mga pasyenteng kumakain ng agahan. They are going home today. The palace guards have almost finished reconstructing some of the damaged houses and the villagers have the urge to help. It is their home after all.

I changed the bandages of some of the patients bago dumating ang sasakyang magdadala sa kanila pauwi. Every single one of them shook my hand, muttering their thanks before they hop into the vehicle.

"Hindi namin makakalimutan ang kabutihan ninyo." An old woman said while holding my hand with both her hands.

I just smiled. It is my job to take care of the sick, after all. I waited until the vehicle was out of sight bago ko napagdesisyunang bumalik sa loob. But I was stopped on my tracks.

I wasn't really oriented on how to greet royalties properly. And come to think of it, I haven't really treated Exene, the twins or Davis Black the way I should treat them. Now I have no idea how to behave in front of the royalty now in front of me.

"Liliana West." The princess said, as if my name is something she'd heard but can't remember.

"Your Highness." I managed a small bow. 

She chuckled. "Canary. Or you can just call me Cana."

The way she looked at my dress did not escape my eyes. I can't read the expression on her face but by the looks of my dress, I can easily guess what she's thinking.

"After all...you're going to be my husband's concubine. We should at least get along.

Well...maybe Exene is right. I'm not sure if that's just how she talks or is she just not really...nice.

"Exene's going to be the one to choose who's going to be the wife and the concubine—if he wants one."

"I'm sure it will be me. I'm a Princess. He's the Duke."

A very cliché way to down my spirits. Try harder, Princess.

"Of course." I cracked a smile, leveling my gaze to hers. "If you may excuse me Cana, I have something better to do than stroll around."

Her smile faded and before she could say something, I walked past her without even bothering to bow.

Now, that's another reason for me to help Exene.

"What did you two talked about?" Luca asked as he pushed himself off the wall saka ako sinabayan sa paglalakad.

"You saw that? You must have seen she approached me first."

"Doesn't answer my question."

"Nothing important. Not enough to pique your interest." I looked at him sideways.

He raised a brow and flashed a grin. "Oh? So you know what piques my interest, Lily of the West? I didn't know you'd be so interested in me." 

"Shut up."

His sounding laugh was all I heard when I entered my clinic/laboratory only to find Exene Magnussen already inside, casually leaning on my table, a couple of vials on his hands. He immediately put it down when he noticed me entering the room. 

"I'll expect Levi or Black pissing me off later. The dear Princess and Luca already did their part. Now you. What is it?" 

"You're getting good at talking comfortably." He pushed himself from the table.

I gave him a blank look before I bowed my head dramatically. "I've committed a grave sin, Your Grace." 

I heard him chuckled. "I came here to tell you that your greenhouse is ready." 

Agad akong napatingin sa kanya. 

"Really?" I didn't hide the excitement in my voice. 

He nodded without hiding the little smile on his lips. I bit my lip to contain my happiness. Just hearing him telling me it's my greenhouse makes me so happy for some reason. 

"You want to check it out?" He said at agad naman akong tumango. He came closer and I prevented myself to jolt when I felt his hand on my back. Ngunit mukhang hindi ako nagtagumpay dahil nang tingnan ko siya, a cocky grin is plastered on his face as he leaned closer and whispered, 

"You gotta get used to me being like this. After all, we're getting married soon. Now, now, that blushing face of yours makes me want to tease you more." He smirked. Pinandilatan ko siya ng mata dahilan para tumaas ang kilay niya. 

"Don't think I won't smack you right in your head even if you're the Duke," I leaned closer that I can smell his minty breath. "After all, I am to be your wife. Even if it's just an act, I should make it more convincing, right?" 

"Making out in the hallway. A sight I should get used to see. Or maybe I should do that more often." Levi was at the end of the hallway, grinning widely. I felt my face heat up but Exene didn't seem to mind him. 

"Don't even think about it, St. Delphi." 

* * *

Words left me as I beheld the whole structure of the greenhouse. It is huge. The shiny glass captures the light of the sun, reflecting it to the clear waters of the pond at the center. 

Exene must have noticed where my gaze is when he said, 

"I thought you might have some plants that grow in water." 

"I do. Heavens, this is so huge. I don't know where to start." 

"We'll leave the greenhouse to your hands, Lily of the West." Levi chided. 

"And you've got plenty of time to make up your mind on how you're going to arrange your plants. I already told old Kane to deliver some of the most important herbs. They'll arrive this afternoon." 

"Liliana will spend most of her time here she won't be able to spend enough time with you, Your Grace. Are you sure about this?" Levi smirked as I gave him an incredulous look. 

"Shut up, St. Delphi." Both me and Exene said dahilan para humagalpak ng tawa ang lalake. 

* * * 

Exene wasn't lying. The plants arrived later that afternoon and they were delivered straight to the greenhouse. Now all I have to do is to put them on the right places since there are plants that don't require that much sunlight and plants that requires a lot of them.  I spent the whole afternoon in the greenhouse. Exene, the twins and Davis Black were nowhere to be found. Not that I care. They're probably doing their own duties. Exene on pampering the Princess, and the rest roaming around the city. 

I was placing the pot on the top of the shelf I asked one of the gardeners to build when I felt a presence behind me. Nang tingnan ko ito, hindi na ako nasurpresa kung sino. He never makes a sound when he's there. He was leaning on the greenhouse's door. 

"Davis," I muttered. Judging from his clothes, I can tell he's been outside. I wonder what he's been doing. 

He didn't utter a single word. I walked closer to him dahilan para mapatingin siya sa'kin. He looked pale.

"Are you okay?" 

"I am." He answered. I stopped on my tracks. Sometimes I get the feeling he'll start shooting arrows with those piercing eyes.

I smiled. "Perfect. I need some help with those big pots. Can you help me?" 

Hindi siya nagsalita ngunit agad siyang pumasok at pumunta sa kung saan nakalagay ang mga malalaking halaman. 

"Where should I put this?" 

"Just on the edges of the pond." 

Napatingin ako sa maliit na lawa sa gitna. The pond served as the water source for the plants inside via a special drainage system built inside the greenhouse. I don't know how Exene got the idea but it's brilliantly made. The minerals released by the water plants are mixed with the water that travels throughout the greenhouse. 

"Where have you been?" I asked when the silence was too much to bear. Davis is not really a talkative person. He only talks if he's asked to. That's what I noticed. 

"Private matters." Tipid niyang sagot. He doesn't exactly say other details unless he's asked to.

"What do you exactly do?" 

"Why are you interested?" Balik niyang tanong. 

 I shrugged. "Well, I haven't really got the chance to get to know you like the twins and the Duke."  

He froze for a moment but he continued doing what he's doing. 

"I do the Duke's dirty work. I'm his spymaster and his assassin. I kill the people he wants me to kill." 

It did not surprise me. The twins already told me about it. What exactly Davis Black do in this house. 

He finished positioning all the big pots on their places. He walked towards the door. But before he could open the door, I called him. He stopped on his tracks. 

"Have you ever hurt or killed someone without the Duke's orders?" 

He stopped on his tracks but did not turn to face me.  "Almost. But I remembered someone that stopped me from killing that person. And that she might want to meet him first before I kill him." 

"If she wanted to meet him, why would you kill him?"

He faced me. His face getting darker.

"You've put yourself in grave danger Liliana. By living here, by pretending to be the Duke's beloved, by running away from your home. You've put a target on your back. Now you have the Princess that sees you as a romantic rival. All of that because you were minding other people's business. Leave this place before it's too late."

And before I could even utter a word, he went out of the greenhouse. 

* * *

A/N: Let us pray for the victims of the earthquake.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

760K 44.3K 83
Sophia D. Ark, an ordinary college student that loves reading fiction as its only way to escape her not-so-good reality. After dying in an unfortunat...
216K 6.2K 80
She was a gangster yet she discovered she wasn't just like any other normal gangster when this one heck of a perverted jerk appear and confused her o...
4.6K 473 53
"I'm Eris, and you must start to remember my name from now on." - Skyla [ 𝙏𝙃𝙀 π˜½π™π˜Όπ™•π™€π™‰ π™‡π˜Όπ˜Ώπ™” ] Having a two personality is not what you cal...
293K 11.8K 37
[COMPLETED] Namatay siya nang mahulog ang sasakyan na minamaneho sa taas ng skyway, however, she was resurrected inside a novel that she once read, b...