The Scars Between Us

By Lee02V

Wen Yue is the daughter of a royal family. Due to her past trauma, she's become afraid of others trusting on... More

Characters
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Facts

Chapter 1

787 17 0
By Lee02V

As she ran through the palace grounds, all she could hear was the clash of swords and screams of agony.

Her breaths were heavy and sweat present on her face.

Turning at the corner, she found a quiet place.

There was no one.

Without another second to spare, she quickly went in and shut the doors. She did all she could to contain her pants. Those eyes were stricken with utter fear that crept upon her.

Then, slow and quiet footsteps came. Her hands came over her mouth to further seal her sounds.

Looking through the crack of the door, she saw a man covered in black clothes. In one hand held a sword and in the other, held the gem ripped off her dress.

He swore to kill her.

Her body began to shake profusely and lips trembled.

"Your Highness," the man called.

A cold sweat overcame her.

"You must join your brothers and sisters. The others will come soon." he finished.

Who would've thought that someone she trusted so much would turn against her even when he knew it would break her.

~

"Your Highness," a female servant called the 7th princess, Wen Yue for the third time.

She was looking out below from the balcony of her palace. Although she heard her calls, she did not answer. The princess was in a daze, not quite present.

"Yue," a man's voice then came instead.

Finally, she came out of her trance and looked towards the direction of that voice.

Her eyes settled, becoming relaxed as a short smile formed on her lips, "Xin," 

He was her half brother, the 4th prince Wen Xin.

The young man came towards her, "Why the long face?" he asked.

Once he reached her, he pulled out a chair for himself.

Her brows scrunched and a frown came about. She didn't answer him with eyes lowering.

He knew exactly why she made that face but didn't want to remind her of it. Instead, he brought up that.

He sighed, "Are you worried that you're now of age?" he joked making the air lighten.

She hit him with a scowl on her face, "Don't even mention it."

Her birthday having been just days ago, of course she's worried.

It was tradition within the Wei Kingdom that at eighteen, it was most suitable for daughters to marry. Deemed to be their most vibrant stage in life, their beauty flared.

"Don't worry, I think father will let you stay for a while longer since you're the only princess left in the palace." he said motioning at how her sisters have been married off to allied countries.

Some however, never saw the light of day again.

She chuckled faintly, "I hope so."

"Anyways, did you fix the strings on your guqin?" he asked.

It was on her birthday that she was granted a new one. Her stringed instrument was crafted by one of the most sought after luthiers in the Four Kingdoms.

Just as she was playing a piece for her family, she suddenly heard a voice at the back of her mind that chilled her. This caused for her to pull at her strings with force, breaking it. Her fingers bled from the outcome.

"Your Highness"

It was that same man who called her that night.

The man who ruined everything.

"Yes, it's been fixed." her eyes looked to where her instrument rested.

"You should play me a piece soon you know. I want to hear what a song sounds like from the great luthier's work." Wen Xin spoke.

She smiled, "Of course brother."

"Mm....." he mumbled making her wonder.

Wen Yue raised her brow, "What is it?"

He kept his same stance and held his mumbles giving a concerned expression.

"........."

"........."

"........."

"So......." she muttered.

".............."

She simply went silent.

The 4th prince then bursted into laughter bringing confusion.

"W-what?!" she said.

"Hahaha.....I just wanted to see your reaction." he was as ever childish despite his age.

She scoffed in a playful manner and stood up walking to him. "If you have nothing to do then go back to the training grounds." she pulled him out of his seat.

He frowned, "I do have something to say alright," the words he was to say a moment ago coming out.

"Hmm, what is it?"

He sighed, "Well......I forgot. I got too distracted." his voice low.

She bit the inside of her lip, "Tell me another time then."

He only nodded with an awkward smile and soon left leaving a concerned princess.

Meanwhile, within the Scholar Palace a young man, Wen Chen, the 9th prince, was in his studies. He had one year left to finish his learning and still, he did not want to be there although his suffering would soon end.

Fan He, the first born son of the Left Prime Minister, who was just a few years older than the prince, was his tutor.

"Teacher, can I please leave?" he nearly begged his mentor and friend.

He only ever addressed him by that tittle whenever he wanted something.

Fan He kept his poker face, "I'm sorry Your Highness, but it is my duty to give you your lessons."

"Fan He I told you to stop calling me by that title! I don't want my friend calling me so." he cried like a toddler.

The young man just sighed, "I know Wen Chen. I only do so when I need to." his hand over the book that held the many lessons boring to the prince.

The young prince's brows furrowed, "Then after I finish my test can we stop for the day?"

"Yes," he agreed to his poor friend's pleads.

"Thank you very much." he almost cried.

Fan He couldn't help but just sigh once more.

"Wen Chen sometimes I wonder if you're actually playing dumb."

In the Gem Palace, notes fell over far and wide. By every pluck of the string, it were as though the land was being cleansed of the impure energy that lingered. Yet even if that was so, the memories would never fade.

Her eyes lowered, focused on those strings she'd pick at next to produce that melody.

Just sitting outside on her patio, her palace was one of the most beautiful yet small, the living space she preferred.

She didn't want much people in her palace and would rather be alone.

At every sound that came, it was like a call for their Divine God Bai. Every royal member carried the tattoo of the white tiger, just like how the Sui Kingdom held the dragon, Jin's bearing the black tortoise, and Xie's the vermillion bird.

With the last note that came, it sounded like words from Bai himself.

"The last leaf of a season."
.
.
.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

547 557 80
The Empress Wu fostered a daughter within the Crimson walls of the Cifu Palace who with altered and faint origins she became the sister of a Marquis...
121K 10.6K 87
My love, can you hear that? It is my heart that beats for you. The dew has long settled, where are you? My feet are sore, breasts heavy, belly saggi...
Blind and Bereft By mimi

Historical Fiction

230K 25K 92
In order to uncover the mystery behind her sister's death, Li Jingrui will stop at nothing even if she must become a palace maid to serve a stern bas...
926 35 31
Wei An Ge was a Crown Princess of the darkest kingdom, Hei An Guang. Her life has been dedicated to the kingdom including merciless training since a...