Dark Despair (Book 2: Togethe...

By queennightfurious

"We're training everyone to ride dragons." Drago is back and has allied with Grimmel. Sky is the alpha, she i... More

Trigger Warnings
Prologue
Forgiveness
The First Rescue
The Rescues
Alive
Reveals
Preparing for War
Setting sail
The Hidden World
War Cry
Love on the Battlefield
Grimmel and Drago
Worth it?
Aftermath of War
Fish makes us Understand
Dreamchaser
Soulmates
Toothless's Welcome
Memories
Defenders
Dragon Lady
Snoggletog
A/N #1
Delta
Magnar
Trillium
Captive
A/N #2
Too close
The Mist Disperses
Saving Mist
A/N #3
Chieftess
A/N #4
My life is CURSED
So close
Hiccup's Alive
And... He's back
Lessons and Setbacks
Seeing you again
Character guide

Denial

145 3 5
By queennightfurious

Hiccup's POV

I felt the blackness that had kept me sleeping slowly subside. Even slower awareness came. I didn't want to wake up unless... I'd been asleep which meant that it had all been a dream. A very real very upsetting dream. I was still on Berk and we were going back to the Hidden World today. Just me and Astrid. 

What if it was the future? Then I won't go near any boats. I nodded to myself. Stretched and walked out of the cave.

My heart plummeted. I was in the Hidden World. How did I get here?

What if I had never gone back to Berk? That is definitely it! I never left. And that means... I can apologize to Toothless!!!!

"What are you so happy about?" Sky walked up to me.

"I need to apologize to Toothless. Where is he?"  Her eyes saddened.

"You don't remember?"

"Remember what? Sure it's weird that I've been in a cave for so long but..."

"Toothless isn't here, Hiccup."

"Yes, he is!"

"No, he isn't. He's been..."

"No! Don't say it! HE's HERE! HE's SAFE!" Sky looked shocked.

"Okay." She said before flying away.

He's not dead. He is home and safe. He is still here. He is...

Sky's POV

"...in denial. We should play along." I stated.

"What do you mean?" Astrid asked.

"She means you need to come with us and help Hiccup feel better. He's denying the fact that Toothless was taken."

"He thinks that he never went to Berk and will be surprised to see Astrid here."

"Then we say that someone came and brought me here. I should hide this." She frowned and took a strange object off her finger.

"Oh my, Thor! Is that what I think it is!!!!" Heather screamed. Well, apparently this strange object has some significant meaning to it."

"What is it?"

"It's a betrothal ring."

"Yes, yes, yes!!!!!!" Heather again shouted. Streak flew in.

"What is with all of this shouting?"

"Hiccup gave Astrid a betrothal ring."

"A what?" I shrugged.

"They're getting married!!!!!!"

"Huh?"  Streak asked. Again I shrugged.

"They are soon-to-be-mates." 

"Why didn't you just say so?" I asked. 

"Because you didn't ask the right questions!" Then I saw the rest of Hiccup's adopted family come, except for Frost who was still sulking somewhere.

"Why are you all shouting?" Lagoon asked.

"Hiccup gave Astrid a betrothal ring which signifies that they are going to get married which means they are soon-to-be-mates," Heather said. All of their jaws dropped. "I know, it's awesome."

They quickly recovered themselves, "Congratulations!!!!"

Astrid was beaming.

After twenty minutes I explained to them what we planned on doing.

"Are you sure this is wise?" Moon asked, "I mean we're lying to him."

"He just needs some time to accept the truth, on his own," I explained.

"Sky's right. This isn't something that we can force him to believe. Deep down he knows the truth and he is just in denial. If any of you lost your best friend and didn't see it happen you'd deny it too. Even if the whole world screamed otherwise." Lagoon said. We all nodded.

We all went to cheer Hiccup up.

"Hiccup? Are you in there?"

"Astrid? How'd you get here?"

"Sky brought me." Hiccup sighed in relief.

"If you are all here to tell me that Toothless is gone then you should leave because he is just on a flight and he's coming back I know it."

"Hiccup, we're not here to tell you Toothless is gone. We're here to wait with you until he comes back." Hiccup started smiling.

"Really?"

"Really."

I truly hoped Toothless was still alive. But I knew that my hope would most likely amount to nothing.

Astrid's POV

We'd been sitting here all day. Everyone else had left to sleep, except me. 

After a few minutes Hiccup whispered to me, "He's really gone isn't he?"

"Yes, yes he is."

I held Hiccup for the rest of the night while he cried for the loss of his best friend.

Grimmel's POV

I was staring at my map. My Deathgrippers were standing guard. I knew there were more Furies out there. My new colleague told me so. So did all of the villages that had been attacked. And so had Viggo Grimborne.

I wouldn't unite with the dragon hunters, though. They didn't have anything useful to offer me, well besides armies. But, I'm not in a war against any villages. Just against the stupid dragons.

I heard the door open, "Grimmel."

"Ah, Drago. What news do you bring me?"

"We've spotted three Night Furies a couple of days ago. We only managed to capture one though. Another fell into the water, it never came back up, probably drowned."

"So you've finally found another. Where is it?"

"Right this way."

Drago lead me into the prisons. In the last cell on the right, there was the Night Fury. It was muzzled and couldn't move. 

"So what do you plan on doing with it. I'm assuming you will kill it."

"All in good time. But, first I'm going to use it as bait. You did say there was another one out there somewhere didn't you?"

"Yes, it was the one that I had previously captured. It's a female."

"Good."

Eclipse's POV

"Mist!!! MIST!!!!! Where are you Mist?"

I'd been looking for her all morning. I can't believe she's not here today of all days. She should remember. She's my best friend.

*sigh*

She's not here.

I started looking for cool rocks around the nest. It was our favourite past-time. 

After at least two hours of looking, I went back to my cave with three new rocks. I put them on a cranny. Then I sulked.

I felt myself get pulled back in time years and years into the past, to the day I lost everything. Then I remembered getting captured and sold by the dragon hunters. I remembered escaping their clutches. Then flying and narrowly escaping the Dragon Conqueror. Then a year later coming here. Then losing my best friend's parents, practically my own parents. Then losing Trillium who was practically my sister. Then seeing many others get captured.

I didn't know how long I laid here, but I felt my emotions grow until I was sobbing. 

I felt a wing brush mine. I ignored it. Mist better have a good reason for leaving me today.

"Look at me." Mist said. I wouldn't, not until she explained herself. "I know what's going on, but I want to show you something."

I'll admit that I was interested but I wanted to hear her story first.

"I wanted to make you feel better so I went looking for something. I found a cool island and found, this." She nudged something towards me but I didn't care. "It's your favourite fish that no one can find anymore. Icelandic cod!" She left me to find a fish.

"I don't care about a stupid fish. I needed you here. With me. Not off on some adventure where you could've been captured or killed. Not looking for some object that I don't even care about. I wanted you to be here and help me through today. You couldn't even do that. SO LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!"

I felt her flinch. "Okay..." She left slowly.

As soon as, she was gone I wept harder. 

Worst day ever.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

171 1 2
Was going to be a one-shot but I decided to turn it into an actual book. Oh I decided to change Hiccup's age, so when they defeated the Red death...
227K 4.5K 34
Banished from Berk for befriending a Night Fury, Hiccup and Toothless leaves Berk and they are never to return. They find civilisation on another vi...
360K 7.2K 24
Hiccup was always considered the weakling of the village, he was bullied, pushed around and beaten up by all the other teens, even his cousin and the...
24.5K 1.1K 17
OneArtsyGamer03 here, lovelies... Republishing of "How to Fight for Your Dragon" :) ... Ah, Berk. The seasons are mostly cold, the people are a bit...