In Between Heartbreaks » TaeR...

By monamonte

Park Chaeyoung just broke up with her boyfriend of three years, Kim Taehyung. But she did not have a clue as... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XXXX

XIV

1.1K 76 14
By monamonte

It was the first day of work after the holidays. Jungkook invited Chaeyoung to dinner, wanting to spend time with her after being away for about a week. He went home to the province to spend the holidays with his family while Chaeyoung stayed at the city with her own family.

After dinner, Jungkook offered to send Chaeyoung home. As they were walking toward Chaeyoung’s house, they noticed a car parked in front of it. Chaeyoung immediately felt uneasy when she recognized the car. While Jungkook warily eyed the car when they got closer to it.

“Chaeyoung, I had a good time tonight.” Jungkook said while looking straight at Chaeyoung’s eyes.

“I’m glad to hear that. I had fun as well.” She answered with a soft smile.

“Alright, you can go inside now.” He suggested.

“Huh? Um, it’s okay. You should go ahead. I will watch you go this time.”

“No, I will be fine. You should go inside now.”

“Well…”

Before Chaeyoung could finish what she was about to say, Taehyung brusquely went out of the car. Chaeyoung and Jungkook both looked shocked by his sudden appearance.

“Chaeyoung . . .” Taehyung pleaded, “Please . . . please, let us talk.”

“Ch-Chaeyoung . . .” Jungkook interrupted.

Chaeyoung shifted her gaze in between Taehyung and Jungkook. She was feeling the tension rising between them. So she stood in between them before the tension escalated into anything more.

“I’m tired. You both go home,” She huffed.

Then Chaeyoung annoyingly turned her back on Taehyung and Jungkook before they can protest. She hurriedly got inside the house and shut the gate on the men outside. But she only took three steps away from the gate before going back outside. When she opened the gate, Taehyung and Jungkook were seriously staring each other down. This scene made Chaeyoung even more irritated.

“I said go home!” She barked.

Taehyung and Jungkook nervously looked at her, belatedly noticing her presence, before going separate ways. Taehyung rushed inside his car while Jungkook dashed away from the house. Then Chaeyoung loudly heaved a sigh as she got back inside the house. When she got to the front porch, she was startled to see Alice there. Alice clucked her tongue while shaking her head disapprovingly at Chaeyoung.

“It’s not my fault.” Chaeyoung swore defensively.

Alice chuckled. “I know.”

Then Chaeyoung slumped on the seat beside Alice.

“I . . . I don’t know what just happened.” Chaeyoung whispered.

“I know that too. Don’t worry. You’ll sort out everything when the time comes.” Alice answered reassuringly.

“You think so?”

“I hope so.”

Chaeyoung pouted at her sister’s straightforward answer.

“I was just kidding. Of course, you’ll sort this out eventually. But wait! You don’t sound like my big sister who can win over anything. Is this really you?”

“I’m . . .”

“Sssshh!” Alice interrupted.

Alice put her arms around Chaeyoung and pulled her close to give her a hug. Chaeyoung gratefully accepted it.

“Don’t say anything. I’m not even asking. But you don’t have to answer anything right now, especially when you’re uncertain about some things. Just be still, for now.”

Chaeyoung closed her eyes as she slowly relaxed through Alice’s warm hug.

… … … … …

Ring! Ring! Ring!

“Jungkook.”

“Hey! How have you been? It’s been two weeks, right?”

“Yeah . . .”

“I’ve missed you.”

Chaeyoung gulped. She didn’t know how to answer Jungkook’s sudden confession.

“Chaeyoung? You still there?”

“Y-yeah.”

“Sorry. You don’t need to respond to that. I just wanted you to say that to you. So . . . Have you been busy? I couldn’t contact you for the past two weeks. I haven’t even seen you at work. Were you avoiding me?”

“I’m really sorry Jungkook. I was just . . . really busy.”

“I see. Uh . . . do you have time after work tomorrow?”

“Yeah, I think so.”

“Good. Can we have dinner together?”

“Sure.”

“Great! See you then.”

“See you.”

“Good night.”

“Good night.”

Chaeyoung heaved a deep sigh as she put her phone down. She twisted and turned on her bed, unable to go to sleep. Jungkook was not entirely wrong when he assumed that she was avoiding him. Because she was somehow doing exactly that.

She was confused about how to deal with Taehyung and Jungkook. She was conflicted on what to do. Her feelings were all over the place. She kept on telling herself how nothing’s going on between her and Jungkook. They were just hanging out as friends. Only she was enjoying his company a lot and was getting more comfortable with him.

Then there’s Taehyung whom she had been avoiding ever since. She knew that she needed to face him at some point. But she was most certain that she still had lingering feelings for him. And she was afraid that her feelings for him will fully grow back to how it used to be like before.

Her worries on Taehyung and Jungkook left her wide awake in the middle of the night. She wanted to find the answers to her own questions as soon as she could. She felt wrong to be feeling this way for two men. But even with the pressure on herself, she failed to come up with answers until she dozed off to sleep with a heavy heart.

… … … … …

The next day, Jungkook and Chaeyoung went to have dinner together as planned.

“By the way, there’s a movie I’ve wanted to see. And it’s showing on cinemas now. Do you want to watch it with me?” Jungkook suggested.

Chaeyoung asked, “Tonight?”

“Yes. We can go after dinner. Guess we can still catch the last full show.”

“What movie is it?”

“Silver Lining.”

“Oh! That.”

“Have you seen the trailer?”

“Honestly? No. Sorry. I haven’t really caught up on the recent movies lately.”

“I see. That’s okay. I will just tell you the synopsis. So it’s about a man whose restaurant chain failed and got bankrupt. He was already an orphan and had no siblings. Then all of his friends turned out to be fake because they all disappeared after his misfortune. And he was so devastated that he left the city and went to live in a farm in the province. He started all over again at that place and strived hard to be successful once again.”

“Is it a true story?”

“No.”

“Oh. Alright, let us go see it after dinner.”

A wide smile appeared on Jungkook’s face. He was happy how Chaeyoung was quick to agree in hanging out with him.

“Thanks.” He whispered.

“Thanks for what?”

“Thanks for uh . . . your company. I’ve always had a good time with you, Chaeyoung. So thank you.”

Chaeyoung was tounge-tied. She was unaccustomed to Jungkook being this honest about his feelings. So she smiled back at him, finding no words coming out of her mouth.

And as promised they went to watch the movie after dinner. Chaeyoung first thought that the movie will be boring. However, by the end of the movie, Chaeyoung was trying so hard to keep her tears from flowing.

“Wait!” Jungkook stopped Chaeyoung.

When he gestured to touch her face, she was taken aback. So she moved a step away.

“What?” Chaeyoung asked, sounding annoyed.

He chuckled, “I’m just going to wipe something off your face.”

“Hey! I did not cry.” Chaeyoung answered defensively.

“I did not say it was a tear. It’s just a smudge or something.”

Then he reached out to touch her face before she can even respond. This time, Chaeyoung froze in place and allowed Jungkook to touch her face. While looking straight into her eyes, Jungkook caressed Chaeyoung’s cheek.

And to break the sudden awkwardness, Jungkook commented, “It feels kind of wet though. Are you sure you didn’t cry?”

“I’m sure!” Chaeyoung proudly answered. Then she hit Jungkook’s arm before leaving him behind.

“Chaeyoung! I was just joking. Wait for me!”

… … … … …

Knock! Knock! Knock!

“Come in,” Lisa called.

“Hey! What took you so long to open the door? I’ve been here for . . .”

Chaeyoung was not able to finish her sentence when Taehyung emerged from behind Lisa.

“Chaeyoung,” Taehyung called.

“Chae, I-I did not know you were coming. Sorry.” Lisa explained.

“It’s fine. I will uh, I’ll just get going. I’ll come back later. See ya!” Chaeyoung said before turning to leave.

“Wait! Chaeyoung. Please. Let us talk.”

Chaeyoung slowly turned back to look at Taehyung. She did not know whether she wanted to talk to him at all. But he looked so dejected and it was tearing all of her resolve.

Taehyung pleaded once more.

“Can you at least listen to me? It’s up to you to respond or not. Please, Chae.”

After a brief silence, Lisa interrupted, “I will be in my room.”

Then she dashed out and left Chaeyoung and Taehyung by themselves.

Chaeyoung moved past Taehyung to go to the living room. Then she sat down on the armchair while Taehyung sat across from her. Deafening silence enveloped them. Taehyung was looking straight at Chaeyoung, never taking his eyes away from her.

Noticing Taehyung, Chaeyoung started to feel uncomfortable. She wiggled on her seat, trying to ease her nerves.

“If you have nothing to say . . .”

“Chaeyoung, I missed you so much. Right now, all I want to do is to hug you just to make sure that this is actually you I’m seeing. Not some hallucinations I’ve been having lately. Chaeyoung? Is . . . is that really you sitting across from me?”

Taehyung’s voice cracked as he said his last statement. Unable to contain his emotions, Taehyung broke into heavy tears. While Chaeyoung looked surprised, she wasn’t expecting him to break down that way.

As she watched him, she started to pity him. She wanted to comfort him and give him the hug he’d been asking. But she restrained herself. So she silently stayed on her seat, listening to his loud sobs. She stayed there patiently waiting for him to calm himself down.

“I’m sorry. Sorry you had to see that.” Taehyung said in between sobs.

“No, please don’t say that. Don’t be sorry about . . .”

“I really don’t know what to say to you, Chaeyoung. Nor do I know where to start explaining myself. All I’m certain about right now is that I want to be with you again. Chaeyoung, please forgive me for everything; for hurting you, for leaving you behind, for not fighting to keep you. Forgive me. I know you did not deserve any of it. But if you can just give me another chance.

Chaeyoung, please. Please give me another chance to make right every wrong I’ve done to you. I . . . I still love you, Chaeyoung. I’ve never stopped loving you. I only stopped showing it. And I’m sorry for that. But I really do love you. Chaeyoung, will you please take me back?”

Flashes of their past ran through Chaeyoung’s mind while listening to Taehyung.

1st of June 2015

Taehyung complained, “What took you so long? You’re late for half an hour.”

“Was I?” Chaeyoung asked sheepishly.

“Yup.”

“Does that make you mad?”

“Silly! Of course not. I can never be mad at you. You know that.”

“Really? Never?”

“Never!”

“Are you sure about that?”

Taehyung took Chaeyoung’s hand in his. While looking straight into her eyes, he kissed the back of her hand.

He answered, “I’m sure. Happy Anniversary babe. I love you.”

“Happy Anniversary. I love you too.”

“Now, choose your order.”

“I thought you already ordered ahead.”

“I did. But you might want to eat something else.”

“How about dessert?”

“I haven’t ordered dessert yet. I’m sure you’ll be eager to choose for that.”

“Ahhh. You know me too well.”

“Of course I do.”

15th of May 2016

“Hey! What’s inside your bag? We’re not going to stay overnight. Why does your bag look so bulky?”

“Just . . . essentials. So I basically brought everything.” Chaeyoung answered with a grin.

“I already reminded you not to bring a lot, didn’t I? It will become harder for you to trek with all these weight on your back.” Taehyung continued to nag while transferring some of Chaeyoung’s stuff inside his own backpack.

“You are the sweetest, aren’t you?”

Taehyung sneered in response. Then Chaeyoung grabbed her sunblock and started applying it all over Taehyung’s face.

“I told you I don’t like that on my face.” He complained.

“Oh you’re such a baby. You need this, alright? Should I start explaining the purpose of applying sunblock?”

“I don’t like it nonetheless.”

“Whatever.” She said as she slung her backpack over her shoulder. “Did you empty my bag? It feels lighter than earlier.”

Ignoring her question, Taehyung said “Let’s go!”

Then he offered his hand to Chaeyoung. She happily grabbed it and off they went trekking while holding each other’s hand.

22nd of August 2016

“What’s the occasion?” Chaeyoung asked while running to meet Taehyung outside her building.

“What?”

“Well, it’s either that or you did something wrong. So what is it?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Hmmm. So why the sudden lunch out? Are we cancelling our dinner date later?”

“Oh! No, we’re not. It’s just that I’ve missed you so much. I can’t wait till dinner to see you.”

“I doubt that.”

“Hey, I’ve been away for three weeks. You should realize how tormenting it had been being away from you that long. Plus we have yet to celebrate our monthsary. So our dinner date later will be our post-monthsary celebration. This, right now, is simply because I missed you.”

“You did?”

“I most certainly did.”

He wrapped his arm around her and pulled her close to him.

“I missed you too.” She answered with a wide grin on her face.

Back to the present . . .

“Chaeyoung? Chaeyoung?”

“Oh! You were saying?”

“Uh . . . If you cannot answer me right now. . . On second thought, don’t. Actually, don’t answer me right now. I beg of you Chaeyoung. Please give time to think about it.” He caught her gaze before continuing, “Will you at least think about it, Chaeyoung?”

Chaeyoung answered with a short nod. Then she quickly rose from her seat and walked dizzily outside the house. She felt exhausted with the burst of emotion from Taehyung. She felt as though she was drained because of it.

Chaeyoung started walking to her house. While Taehyung was sullenly walking behind her. The walk to her house felt longer than it actually was because of the somber atmosphere between them. And when they reached the front of Chaeyoung’s house, Taehyung closed the gap between them and hugged Chaeyoung from behind.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Hi. Please vote and leave comments if you like this story. And thank you! ❤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

191K 9.4K 44
HIGHEST RANKING IN ARRANGED MARRIAGE #1 HIGHEST RANKING IN BLACKPINK #2 • Extract • "I have 3 rules for you Park Chae-, or should I now say Jeon Cha...
140K 7.3K 21
im chaeyoung was a magazine editor who seemingly had the perfect life: young yet with soaring career, blessed with beauty, and a godly fiancée envied...
11.1K 1K 54
"Stop there where you are.Approach no further.Remember ! you can't come near a womanizer" "You love me ! I know" Jungkook hoarsely completed the sent...