The Gifted Hybrid

By gifted_nerd

BOOK 1 in The Hybrid Series After the tragic lost of her mom, 17 year-old Zoe Hyland has to deal with being a... More

Just A Hunch
A Long Bus Route
Camp Spirit
Protection
Powerless
I'm Sorry
First Gift
Your Special
Fast Learner
No Way In
First Attempt
Second Gift
Flashback
Full Moon
Just Try
Its You
Thank You
Book 66
A Sign
Darkness
Our Secret
The Dream
Believe Me
Bad Manners
Questions
See The Truth
You'll See
Relation
An Idea
Good Poison
Practice Makes Perfect
A Favor
Instinct vs Reflex
Just Talk
Triggered
Settled In
Metal Eyes
Feelings
Visions Told Truth
Nervous Is Good
Powerful
Marked
Real Deal
A Choice
Author's Note
Next Book Reveal
ITS TIME!!!
Checking in...
THANK YOU!

A Leader

896 38 7
By gifted_nerd

The next morning I woke at exactly seven and I was ready for the day no matter where it took me.

The smell of pancakes, eggs and bacon hits my nose with a hint of orange juice. My stomach immediately started growling for food. I sat up and climbed out of bed, heading to the bathroom to freshen up a bit before heading downstairs.

I threw on some tights, a tank and some shoes before I made my way down following the smell of food. Susan was up cooking a big breakfast meal for everyone, she had the radio playing and she moved swiftly across the floor baking and dancing. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a tight pony tail and she wore an apron over her clothes.

No one else was up I realized. Not even John or Magaret.

"Hey Susan" I smiled and slid my way toward one of the stools at the island. She had all the food out in big silver pans with aluminum foil over them to keep the heat in.

"Good morning, how was your sleep?" She clicked the radio off and walked over to the counter.

"It was okay, need some help?" I ask her.

Her face brightens, she removes her apron and says "yes please. I want to move all the food to the table"

I nod and stand to my feet. We grab the pans and make our way to the dining table that was huge and set for maybe twenty people. I set them down and we created a line of food across the big table. I stopped in my tracks and held onto one of the chairs.

"You thinking about your Mom?" I looked up at her and nodded.

"Yeah, she used to do this with the food. She'd be up early cooking for us, that's one of the memories I remember" I sniff before pulling out a chair.

Susan grabs some forks, spoons, plates and napkins before she came over to the table. She went to get the orange juice and grab some plastic cups before she officially sat down.

"I remember that too, whenever I'd stay with her or she with me she'd do just that" her light blue eyes land on mine and she leans on her hand.

"Can I ask you something?" I look up at her.

"Sure, but first get your food before everyone else does. I hear the guys like to eat alot" her eyes widen and I nod with a chuckle.

I stand and grab a plate, I take two pancakes, some eggs, bacon and pour some juice for myself and Susan does the same for herself. We take the seats across from each other and began to eat.

"How did you end up here? I mean, our house isn't in the mountains like this. This is amazing by the way" I smile and look around.

"Thanks Zoe, and to answer your question honestly I don't know really. There was just something about being here that makes me happy and feel private but also free at the same time" she picks up her fork and I watch as she grabs the knife and starts cutting her pancakes.

"It was actually my Dad's place, he used to let people rent the rooms until he stopped and just decided to keep the house for vacation or something but now it's mine" she finishes.

"That's great" I stuff a pancake slice into my mouth.

We eat for a little and I hear poeple began to get up upstairs in their rooms. I try my best think of anything else I would like to get answers for from Susan but nothing comes to mind.

"Everyones going to get up soon"

"Yeah I can hear them" I chuckle. She looks at me when she goes to stand.

"Really?"

I nod, "yeah every since I've had these powers and everytime I use them, my original hearing, seeing, touching, tasting, smelling is heightened"

"Huh" she runs her tongues against the sides of her mouth in thought. She sits her plate and cup back on the table and sits back down in her seat.

"What are you Zoe?" She asks.

I chew the food in my mouth and drop the fork on the plate in front of me. I look up into her eyes, her icy blues ones coursing through my purple orbs.

"Sorry, I keep asking myself that. Just what are you? It's kinda, intriguing and fascinating. Almost unbearable the things you can do" she eyes me down.

"I don't know" I say in a low voice. My cheeks heat and my head falls low

"I know, it's okay. Your incredible Zo, anyone would be lucky enough to have you on their side" she finally gets up, grabs her things and makes her way to sink.

"Do you like anyone in the house?" She asks and my ears reach the balcony upstairs. Someone's coming.

"No" I tell her flat.

"Just asking" she shrugs.

"I really don't want to focus on those type of things right now Susan. I just want you guys to be okay and for myself to not get caught or anything"

She turns on the faucet, "that's good. You know theres a full moon tonight right?" He eyes meet mine as she washes her hands. She lifts her hand in the air and motions for me to bring my things over. I do just that.

"Nope, I had no idea" my heart speeds.

"Does that make you nervous in some way?"

I take the stool seat again and watch her hands carefully as she washes the dishes.

"Yeah, I don't know what to expect"

"And that's good, you'll grow stronger you know"

Both of our eyes meet movement in the back and I see Margaret and John make their way toward us. People start piling downstairs also and I move out of the way to Susan's side.

"Mom, I always help you make breakfast why didn't you wake me?" Stacey reaches the other side of her Mom and she kisses the top of her head.

"I didn't want to bother you" she tells her and I suddenly feel like my world wants to crash at that moment.

Thinking of Mom sometimes makes me happy because I know shes here without even being here but then it makes me mad and sad because I can't see her or hear from her no matter how bad I try or how bad I want too. Everyone else piles into the kitchen to eat their food and their voices create a distraction for my escape, I head to the stairs and upstairs to my room to grab my dagger from my bag. I place it flat on the bed and grab the book I took from the library. I also lay that flat on the bed.

I let out a breath and hand for the books bigger flaps wishing that when I opened it, it would show me something useful and fulfilling but the pages are blank. Nothing but clean white pages that smelled brand new when my thumb flipped through pulling the edges back.

I closed the book and placed it back in my bag before closing it, grabbed my dagger and headed downstairs to the front door. I opened it silently and looked back one more time before I walked out and closed it behind me. I held the dagger in my hand, twirling and throwing it in the air while I walked. I didn't know what my plan was but I guess I would just go.

At the end of the long rode up to the house is the woods. I'd rather be there in between the trees then up high on the mountain in plain sight. Being up high and far away was a start but being able to blend in and know your surroundings was even better so I made my way to the trees, walking ever so slow and careful not too make too much noise in case anyone else was out here beside me.

I didn't see anyone and as I closed my eyes and listened, my ears hadn't picked up a sound besides the cars. I found an opening just a few feet away from the path I just took and it was clear. The trees had looked like they been cut down in this particular spot but why? It was shaped into a circle with the other trees surrounding it. I wonder if we'd come down here tonight or stay closer to the house.

I looked around and up at the trees as I stood their. They began to stretch but this time it hadn't bugged me out the way they leaned and towered over me and how the tops of them began to shade my outer surroundings. I closed my eyes and listened to the sounds. I grabbed the band on my arm, glad that I brought one, and tied my hair up into a bun on top of my head.

I grabbed my dagger, holding it in my hand. I threw it up in the air and it came back down slowly into my palm. I tossed it under my fingertips before I grabbed onto the blade. The sharpest part of the knife felt like it had more of a grip to it then the handle of it. I slid my thumb across the tip, creating a mini pool of blood on top of my finger. Just as it began to bleed, it stopped and dried itself. The open skin began to attach itself and heal. I couldn't feel a thing.

I picked up the blade again, holding it with my fingers around the sharpest part and I turned my body to the trees. I held my hand up in front of my view and measured the trees distance and bark size with inches of my fingers before I lifted the knife and threw it toward the tree. It hit right at the middle of the tree and a smile appeared on my face.

"Better get used to this Zoe" I said to myself.

I ran to grabbed the knife and pulled it out of the tree. I went back to stand in the same spot again but this time I didn't measure anything, I just threw the dagger and it landed tip first in the same spot.

When I retrieved it again and came back to the spot I didn't decide on throwing it yet. I wanted to try something different, I wanted to see how far my powers could take me so I summoned them into my blood, turning every drop black including the red that pooled out earlier from my fingertip. I had my palms open and my eyes closed as it took over my body.

It hisses and I open my eyes to the trees around me. My head goes to the side as my eyes examine the tree about fifteen feet away from me. I lift the dagger in my hand by the blade and squint my eyes, throwing it with little force I have at first. I expect it to hit a tree but it doesn't.

My eyes widen as it goes past the tree, around the brown bark and back to me like a boomerang. I don't catch it, I move out the way turning my body the slightest to the right. The dagger hits a tree behind me.

"Shit" I say to myself before I snatch the knife from the tree.

I look to the trees again and this time I just throw it. It swings itself in funnels and twirls back toward me, I catch it with my right hand and smile. I pick it up by the blade really fast and I draw my hand back as far as I can before I throw it with all the force I have in my arm from the power coursing through my veins.

It hits a tree and I head over to grab it but the first tree doesn't hold the dagger. It holds a big hole in the middle of it as I trace the empty space with my finger tips I just held the knife with. I close my eyes and send my powers away before I head to the next tree behind the first. It also has a hole about one inch. The next held a hole and so does the next one and this continues on for about five more trees until I finally reach the tree that holds the dagger. The entire blade is stuck inside the tree and I use all the force I hold without my powers to pull it out.

There's not a single mark on it and I'm glad for that. I'll have to do this again sometime, I'd never thought that the weapon I have could do what I just did. It acted as a boomerang which means no one would be able to use it but me, it would return to only me.

I head out the forest without looking back and I realize the sun went down, it's almost time for the full moon to rise in the sky. Almost time for me to take on another form of power, of myself and become stronger than ever.

I head up the hill and onto the driveway to the front door.

"Zoe!" I turn to the left and Stacey gets out of the car and runs up to me.

"Hi?"

"Where the hell have you been? I've been worried, we all have. You left without saying anything, you've been gone for a while" she starts yelling about everything and I can't help but smile and listen.

"Let's go!" She hooks her arm with mine and drags me toward the front door. She pushes it open and rushes through the main entrance to the living room.

"What's the big deal?" I ask her and she doesn't say anything and I don't need her too now. I see what the big deal is right in front of me, everyone stands in front of the TV in the living area.

It shows the news and the woman that talks voice has been blocked in my ears. The explosion flashes on the screen and my eyes can't seem to leave the it.

10 dead and 20 injured after the massive explosions that took place at the center outlet yesterday around 2pm.

"Zo, you okay?" Stacey puts a hand to my arm and everyone turns around surprise to see me standing their watching the screen unfold in my view. 

"Yeah, I'm fine" I say and I actually think I am for a minute.

Poeple have gotten hurt and killed and it was all my fault. It's sad and I can't stand to watch this on the screen but I need to know what happened.

"Turn off the TV" Margaret says and someone grabs the remote.

"No!" I say

Some say they saw the guy and girl who set the bombs. They say they wore all black but they faces weren't possible to identify. More news when we return.

"Now turn it off" John tells someone.

My eyes leave the TV and land on Susan, "you really think they know who did it?"

"I don't know" she shakes her head.

"Well I don't think they did, those high rollers don't just do something as horrific as they did and get caught. They set traps, do things so it will seem like someone else did it. Hell, maybe that's what they did. They probably used someone else to make it seem like they did it"

"Your probably right"

I shake my head, "it's my fault"

Stacey let's out a breath, "Zo, please you have to stop-"

"No Stacey, it's my fault and I can't just forget about everything that has happened in the couple of months and neither can you guys" I look to the rest of my friends. My other family.

"You guys know I'm the reason for everything and I understand if you blame me. It's the truth and we can't deny it. It's the past but it's what makes us us. These things trigger me in the worse way but that's what makes me me. I have to remember them or I won't be who I am" I finish.

I look around to everyones miserable face after my speech.

"Guys" I say aloud and they all snap toward me, "stop feeling sad and miserable, everythings okay. I'm good as long as you guys are" I smile.

Mia runs up to me, hugs me and I laugh before I wrap my arms around her, "your great Zoe"

"Yeah, you are" Stacey comes over to me also, wrapping her arms around me.

"Yeah yeah I know" everyone laughs, "okay enough with this hugging, some of us have to get ready for the full moon tonight"

They let go and everyone scatters around the house.

Someone puts a hand on my shoulder and I see its Margaret, "your a good leader Zoe, you should lead them out tonight. Find the perfect spot and make sure nothing happens"

I nod, "of course, thank you"

And I mean that in the biggest way, I don't feel like a leader but to these people I do. They see me as the bigger person now, whatever I think is right and wrong they will follow me. If only Mom was here and she could see how I'm handling things.

"I see you my daughter, my moon child"

I smile at the words she says that come to my head before I head for the steps up to my room.

A/N: hey people! Hope your doing okay:)) just wanna say thank you for reading. So close to 2k! Please vote by clicking the star ☆

Update: the damn moon is a little more than  half and its beautiful and not fully white tonight  I'm crying

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.7K 1.5K 24
"Keith and I watched in awe and joy as the inexplicable happened. Nikki was alive! My mate was back! Then suddenly, those brown eyes I loved so much...
220K 8.3K 60
[COMPLETED] BOOK ONE of the LACKING HUMANITY SERIES * * * In a cold and damped cell lies a young she-wolf whose life is controlled by scientists. All...
152 10 23
[ WATTYS SHORTLIST 2021 ] She's always assumed werewolves was a fantasy, but on her 16th birthday, she learns everything she ever believed in was a l...
601K 27.9K 53
Eighteen-year-old Sean Brooks comes from a long line of witches. But unfortunately, he doesn't have a spell that can help him with relationships. Whe...