Defined by his past ♤Legacies...

By Deya0302

The past was haunting her. The legacy her father left her was a weight on her shoulders she could never get r... More

Defined by the Past ♤
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Dearest Dad
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Season Two
Chapter 2.1
Chapter 2.2
New Book
Chapter 2.3
Chapter 2.4
Chapter 2.5
Chapter 2.6
Chapter 2.7
Chapter 2.8
Chapter 2.9
Chapter 2.10
Chapter 2.11
Chapter 2.12
Chapter 2.13
Chapter 2.14
Chapter 2.15
Chapter 2.16
Chapter 2.17
Chapter 2.18
Chapter 2.19
Season 3
Chapter 3.1
Chapter 3.2
Chapter 3.3
Chapter 3.4
Chapter 3.5
Chapter 3.6
Chapter 3.7
Chapter 3.8
Chapter 3.9

Chapter 14

2.2K 56 17
By Deya0302

A/N: I don't know if I like how this was written. I just knew I had to update something or I was going to lose readers, lol.

I hope you like it and I didn't screw it up cus took me all day to do finish this... in my phone cus my laptop's charger broke. I can't use my laptop where I write. That's why I haven't updated anything.

So, yes. My fingers feel dead and cramped. Take that in mind when you see some grammar mistake or you simply didn't like this chapter.

In good news, two more chapters to finish season one! Isn't that cool? I have already planned the season finale for Kayla.

Enjoy the reading!!!

"LET'S JUST FINISH THE DANCE"

Mystic Falls Pageant.

The time of the year every girl can break out their supposedly hidden princess and act like crying brats to earn sympathy points and wear shiny cheap crowns and a boring white ribbon across their chests.

This year, the host was the Salvatore School and we had to act the more normal possible, meaning no magic, no blood drinking and definitely no flashing eyes. This would be the first time for me to witness the townies visiting the school and see their ridiculous show I wasn't taking part of...

Well, until I thought I had a choice.

Lizzie walked inside Kayla's room without knocking as Kayla brushed her hair. "Good, you're ready, dearest cousin. Here" She handed her a toast. Kayla blinked down at the piece of food "Eat up because that's the only thing you'll be able to until tonight. We have a lot to work on. Chop chop"

"Wait, wait, wait" Kayla told her warily. "What do you mean?"

"The pageant" Lizzie replied as if it was obvious. Kayla blinked once. Twice. Lizzie scoffed, rolling her eyes "Look, I really don't appreciate giving out the responsibility to do this to another person, but God forbid me if I don't acknowledge you kinda did a good job on the talent show"

Kayla widened her eyes slightly, "Are you actually giving me a compliment?"

Lizzie made a face, "Ugh, call it what you want. I'm not repeating it. So, you coming or not?"

Lizzie began walking to the door.

"I'm not" Kayla told her. Lizzie stopped, slowly turning to face her, her eye slightly twitching as she forced a smile, "I don't want to know anything about that stupid pageant"

Lizzie chuckled sarcastically "Where's that slug when you need one?" Kayla frowned. Lizzie stared at her cousin "I wasn't asking. I know deep inside your ice cold heart, you love to do this and I have my own agenda with this year's pageant to win to concentrate on the committee organization. You're a pleasant second choice now that the first and better one which is me won't be available. So, eat up and let's go" Lizze glanced at Kayla, picking at her nails, faking disinterest "I may like you better if you do this"

Kayla stayed silent, nodding stiffly as Lizzie strutted out of the room.

Once she was out, Kayla let out a loud groan, "Come on! Who told her I was trying to get into her good graces?"

Kayla frowned at her reflection in her mirror, moodily taking a bite from the toast, grumbling with a mouthful, walking out of her room, following after Lizzie.

~8~

Kayla followed Lizzie like a lost puppy as she tried to explain what she wanted for the pageant. 

"Liz" Kayla tried. Lizzie pointed at a hallway, humming to herself, shaking her head, "Elizabeth!"

Lizzie jumped, turning to face Kayla, "What?"

Kayla widened her eyes slightly, "Just calm down and let me take care of this, alright? Didn't you say you had plans?" Lizzie nodded slowly, "Right. Go ahead and deal with them, we don't really want another one of your outbursts when the humans get here"

Lizzie took a deep breath, nodding slightly, giving Kayla her clipboard, "You're right. But if something goes wrong, I'm personally making you responsable and you'll deal with my wrath"

Kayla nodded slowly, "Got it. Show perfect. Lizzie happy"

Lizzie smiled, patting Kayla's cheek "Good to know we understand each other, now... Where's Hope?"

Kayla frowned, "Why would I know?"

"She's always around you, like your little loyal dog" Lizzie told her, rolling her eyes. "So it's logical for me to think you know where she is"

Kayla sighed, "Well, I don't. Since we got Landon back and learned what he is, she hasn't left his side" She rolled her eyes "It's as if he's gonna disappear or drop dead once he's out of her sight"

Lizzie smirked knowingly, chuckling "I get it, you're jealous"

Kayla scoffed, "Don't be ridiculous"

Lizzie laughed, clapping her hands once, "You are. He's taking your best friend away from you. I can even tell you two haven't had your sleepovers in a while"

Kayla rolled her eyes, "Your mouth is moving, but I don't hear a word you're saying"

Kayla started to walk away, reading the clipboard. 

Lizzie called after her, smirking, "Denial!"

Kayla rolled her eyes, walking away from an amused Lizzie. 

~8~

Kayla opened the door to the gym as a loud thud rang. Her eyebrows raised when she saw Alaric on the ground and Hope leaving the room.

"Someone's having a bit of a day, huh?" Kayla asked, looking down at Alaric, stopping right next to his face.

"My back is complaining about it" Alaric told her.

"I meant Hope" Kayla smirked teasingly, holding a hand to him. Alaric chuckled sarcastically, accepting her help to stand up, "But sure, I'll have a little pity for you but that's it because you're the one who offered your weak human and almost old body to be a punching bag for an insanely, strong and slightly unstable tribid"

Alaric scoffed, "Don't go insulting my humanity, I'm still stronger than the average human"

Kayla smirked, "Whatever helps you sleep at night" She handed him a clipboard, "Anyway, I need your autograph. They won't unload the trucks without it"

"What?" Alaric read upon the contract as Kayla crossed her arms, tapping her feet to the floor impatiently, "Tables, chairs, flowers, and a helium tank? Who ordered all this?"

Kayla gave him a 'duh' look "Uh, you did" Alaric still looked confused. Kayla threw her hands up, slightly "A few months ago"

"Why?" Alaric asked.

Kayla gave him an exasperated look, "Old age hitting you so soon, uncle Ric?"

After a moment, Alaric blinked in realization, looking at Kayla wide eyed.

Kayla mocked his look, placing her hands in her hips, shaking her head.

~8~

Alaric gathered an assembly after remembering the school was hosting
the pageant.

"I have some news" Alaric told them. "Many of you, like me, have forgotten that we are hosting this year's Miss Mystic Falls Pageant" Students began to murmur at each other, groaning in annoyance. Lizzie was the only one excited, smiling. "Trust me, I know. But the rotation is set in stone. So, let's take the opportunity to maintain our image as a normal school for the rich and awful" Kayla chuckled, smirking "As usual, anything remotely magical, enchanted, vampire, wolf or witch-related must be kept tucked away, hidden, and under lock and key. Now with your chore assignments"

Lizzie stepped forward, smiling "Okay, so we'll split into teams"

Kayla tilted her head, nodding slightly, standing up, leaving the room while Lizzzie spoke, heading to the kitchen before Lizzie nagged her even more. 

"If it isn't my detention buddy!"

Kayla jumped as someone vamp sped in front of her, leaning against the wall. "The fuck!" she exclaimed with a glare as a blond guy smirked at her "What the hell, Roman?"

Roman smirked, "Aw, is that your way to tell me you missed our breaking ins?" He pointed at one office, chuckling "I mean, our hanging out space?"

Kayla rolled her eyes, walking past him, "Get lost"

"That's the way to greet the first friend you made here?" Roman asked, turning around, following her.

Kayla sighed, rolling her eyes "You aren't my friend. And if you were, you weren't the first"

"Ah, right" Roman told her, "Miss Satan has that spot. And Hope holds the bestie one. Yeah, I heard"

"What are you doing here, Roman?" Kayla asked. "Tired of vandalizing the world and decided to make people here miserable?"

"Ouch" Roman told her, placing a hand in his chest, mocking offense, "Do I make you miserable? if I remember correctly, you were the one who enjoyed our detention nights, racking through Dr. S' alcohol cabinets"

Kayla pursed her lips, "Not true"

"You said, and I quote..." Roman cleared his throat, "This is the first time I've ever felt normal around here, doing typical teenager stuff like drinking in hiding and breaking in to a teacher's office" Kayla didn't answer, huffing. Roman followed in amusement. "Have you kept it up or is it boring you don't have anyone to break rules with?"

"I didn't want to break the rules" Kayla told him. Roman raised his eyebrows, unconvinced "I wanted to find a way to be expelled and kicked out. I wasn't really comfortable in this place. I used you"

"No hard feelings, Parker" Roman told her with a smirk.

Kayla stopped in her tracks. "How did-"

"Dr. S' files on you" Roman replied simply, knowing what her question was "I figured it was supposed to be a secret because it was on his personal, locked drawer. That's why I never said anything"

Kayla remained silent, mentally seething. Alaric had promised no one was supposed to know. Writing about her parentage and hiding that information in a place a bad guy like Roman could find out wasn't keeping it quiet. 

"Is that why you kept talking to me?" Kayla asked, resuming her walking. "'Cause my dad was a bad guy?"

"It was at first" Roman admitted, "I'm attracted to bad girls but then I realized you weren't really bad. Just a girl with a broken past, struggling to fit it" Kayla pursed her lips, abrutly changing directions, no longer on her way to the kitchen. Roman slowed a bit at the sudden move but still followed her. "To be honest, I wanted to redeem myself for something I had done a few years earlier"

Kayla tilted her head, "You used me too"

Roman chuckled "You caught me there. You were my ticket to someone's nice side. Too bad she never believed me when I told her I was trying to make you feel welcome"

Kayla realized, "Hope"

Roman nodded, "I did something to her. Something bad and while she said she forgave me, I knew she still hated me. I wanted to do something nice for her, but nothing I ever did could erase what I did to her family"

They reached the library where all the students were taking away everything magical. 

"Hope's the one you always talked about when we had our drinking sessions, isn't she?" Kayla asked, turning her head to him. Roman pursed his lips, nodding slightly, "You were partly responsable for her mom's death"

"And I'll never forgive myself" Roman told her quietly. 

They both stopped walking at the doors, processing what they talked about. 

"People forgives but never forgets" Kayla told him, sighing. "You lost your chance with her"

"And I have accepted since then I won't get her back" Roman added. "It took me a while to accept that and when it happened, I already considered you a friend to back out"

They entered the room, glancing at the students packing everything magical. 

Hope and Landon were among them. 

"An annoying, unwanted at first but grateful friend" Kayla told him, biting back a small smile. Roman chuckled, shaking his head. It was then when Hope noticed them walking in over Landon's shoulder. Roman caught her eye, waving slightly. Hope's eyes widened slightly, looking away, awkwardly. Kayla chuckled, "That's a show"

"Who's he?" Roman asked, nodding at Landon.

"Her new boyfriend" Kayla answered. 

Roman raised his eyebrows, nodding slightly "Took her two years to actually trust someone again"

"So, you're the reason of her trust issues, good to know" Kayla told him sarcastically.

"I told you I made a bad impression" Roman told her. 

Hope walked closer, giving them a look, "What are you doing here?"

Landon followed Hope.

"Dr. Saltzman's been a little overwhelmed, so, uh, I've been doing a little recruiting recon for him lately" Roman answered. "But he asked me to come in today and lend a hand" 

Roman looked past Hope, at Landon pointedly. 

Hope glanced at Kayla who gave her an innocent look. Hope looked at Landon, "Oh, uh, this is Landon"

Landon had his arms crossed, looking at Roman "Her boyfriend" He walked closer, seeming smug "And a Phoenix by the way, which is so cool"

Kayla had a small smirk in her face, whispering so only Roman could hear, "Jealous"

Maybe Lizzie was right and Kayla herself was a little jealous Hope spent more time lately with Landon. She missed her friend. And maybe that's why she didn't like Landon too much. 

However, she'd never admit any of that out loud.

Roman glanced slightly at Kayla, nodding slightly, agreeing with her statement. He glanced at Hope who also looked amused. 

"I better go find Dr. Saltzman" Roman told them, backing away, starting to leave. 

Kayla looked at Hope and Landon, pursing her lips. "Wait, I'll go with you" Hope gave her a confused look. "Besides that I have to find Lizzie, I promised to help her out"

Kayla followed Roman, both leaving the room.

Hope stared after her best friend in confusion and little hurt she left with her ex-boyfriend instead of staying.

~8~

"Why are you avoiding me?"

Kayla jumped slightly, turning around from where she was putting up some flowers, seeing Hope standing behind her with her arms crossed and a small, amused smile "What is it with you guys sneaking up on me?"

"That's not answer to my question, Kay" Hope told her, chuckling. "Why are you avoiding me?"

"I'm not" Kayla told her.

Hope furrowed her eyebrows, "Well, then. Come with me, I need someone to vent now that Lizzie just turned me into her pageant doll"

Kayla chuckled, slightly taken back "Wait, what?"

Hope rolled her eyes, "She apparently had a personal issue with one of the judges" Kayla looked confused. Hope made a face, "Dana's mom"

Kayla nodded in understanding "So, Lizzie wasn't able to keep in check her inner bitch, got it"

"Yeah" Hope smiled slightly, glancing around uneasily, "So, I kinda need my best friend right now to support me"

Kayla deadpanned, "I'm not a shoulder to cry on"

"But I've been yours" Hope mock whispered, "You need to pay, Kay"

Kayla threw her head backwards, a small smile trying to appear in her lips, "You're stubborn"

"You love it" Hope told her, grabbing Kayla's wrist, "It's your duty as best friend to be with me every step of the way of something I'll probably regret"

And it was also an excuse for Hope to spend more time with Kayla since Landon's return. She missed her best friend, someone who after almost two years had finally let her in. She wasn't going to lose her easily now she got her friendship.

Hope began to drag Kayla away from the great hall.

And as always, Kayla allowed her too, an amused smile playing on her lips.

"This is going to be interesting" Kayla murmured with a chuckle.

~8~

Lizzie dropped a binder with 'Miss Mystic Falls' as title in front of Hope.

Kayla wasn't able to contain her chuckles at Hope's expression.

"I'm gonna regret this, aren't I?" Hope asked, eyeing the book skeptically.

"Regret it?" Lizzie huffed, sitting in front of Hope, "You are the perfect candidate. You are pageant-pretty, reasonably well-spoken, and not to mention you have the added bonus of being an orphan"

Kayla pointed at them, smirking in amusement "Classic charity case"

Lizzie glanced at her cousin's expression, "If I were you, dearest cuz, I'd keep my comments to a minimum. You're here because for some odd reason we talked earlier, your presence calms my little project" Hope sent Kayla a curious look. Kayla shrugged, nonchalantly. "Besides, Hope... You wanted strenuous. This is the fiercest competition in the land"

Hope sighed, glancing at Kayla, "Why not Kay?" Kayla opened her mouth to protest, looking offended. "She's an orphan too"

Lizzie blinked, "I would have considered her if she asked me. Or she used other face than that one"

Lizzie gestured at Kayla.

Kayla seemed amused, "This is my face, Liz. Can't change it"

Lizzie glared at her.

Kayla raised her arms in innocence, looking away toward Hope.

Lizzie smiled, looking back at Hope expectantly.

Hope huffed slightly, reaching for the binder. "Okay"

Lizzie glanced at the binder with a nostalgic smile, "My mother's research. She used it to prepare for Miss Mystic Falls the year that she won" Hope examined the binder in her hands, turning it around in slight fear and concern. Kayla just watched in amusement. "It's effective, but her methods? Quaint at best" Lizzie stood, turning around. Hope passed the binder to Kayla with a 'Help me' look as to which Kayla just smiled mischievously. Lizzie returned with a box containing several books, settling it in front of Hope and Kayla, startling them both, smiling proudly, taking two books, giving one to Hope and the other to Kayla "This is my research. I have studied every answer given, why every winner has won, and why every loser has lost. No one from the Salvatore School has ever come close" Hope looked at her, slight wide eyed "Until today"

Kayla side glanced at Hope, chuckling, "No pressure there"

Lizzie narrowed her eyes, "Keep talking or I'll be forced to turn you to a contestan too. A wonderful second place. As always, cousin" Kayla scowled. "So, just because you're actually here, you're committed to help Hope"

"But the Pageant..." Kayla began slowly.

Lizzie raised a hand, "Now that you two will be working together, I'll have more time for myself and prepare the pageant myself. Thank you, cousin. You're the best"

Lizzie smiled, turning around, leaving.

Hope cringed slightly, forcing a smile, patting her best friend's arm, glad she wouldn't be alone in this "How hard can this be?"

Kayla raised her eyebrows, raising the book Lizzie gave her "You just jinxed it"

Hope chuckled, looking down at the book, awkwardly "I think I did"

~8~

Lizzie, Hope and Kayla walked to where all the contestants and their escorts were gathered together.

Kayla gave them amused looks, knowing she'd never find herself doing something like that but feeling slightly sympathy for Hope.

"They call it rehearsal, but make no mistake" Lizzie told them as Hope looked around, still awkward by doing this "The competition starts now"

The three of them glanced at the judges who were looking at each one of the contestants.

Hope looked nervous, looking away.

Kayla nudged her shoulder, raising her eyebrows with a small reassuring smile when Hope looked at her.

They reached Landon who was going to be Hope's escort.

Kayla noticed he seemed distracted so when Hope wasn't looking, observing the other contestants, Kayla stepped closer to Landon, smacking his arm hard. Landon flinched, looking at her. Kayla gave him a dark look.

"Don't screw this up for her, Kirby" Kayla whispered furiously, glaring at him. Landon frowned, "Or I swear you're gonna regret it"

Hope looked back at them.

Kayla's glare faded as she smiled innocently, looking between Hope and Landon, who not for the first time felt nervous or scared by the siphoner "Ready?"

Hope nodded nervously as a judge, dana's mom, Vera Lillian called out, "Time for rehearsal" Just Dance by Lady Gaga played in guitar. The strings playing made Kayla hum slightly in approval as she watched the couples starting to dance, following Vera's instructions when she called them out. "Honor your partner. Right hand around. Flirt with your eyes. Left hand around. Both hands"

With a cringe, Kayla noticed how Landon and Hope got all the dance wrong, bumping into another couple. The girl gave Hope a judging look Kayla did not like and by Hope's fallen expression it kinda hurt her feelings.

Kayla narrowed her eyes at the girl as she and her escort walked away, leaning against the wall, touching the wall with her hand casually, murmuring a small spell under her breath, allowing her pinky finger glow as she siphoned magic from the school wall.

The girl 'slipped' and almost fell if it weren't for her escort at the next step.

Kayla, innocently and casually stepped away from the wall, pretending to observe the other girls with their rehearsal.

Kayla blinked in confusion when at the other side of the room, Josie fell but got caught by Penelope.

She slowly made her way toward Lizzie, frowning at Josie's direction.

Lizzie spoke before she could, "Nice with the wet floor. One less contestant to worry about"

"I don't know what you're talking about" Kayla told her. Lizzie hummed sarcastically, "What's going on with Josie? She's a good dancer too"

"She must have tripped like that girl" Lizzie replied, "Accidents happen"

Kayla squinted suspiciously, "Jo's sabotaging herself for you and Hope to win, isn't she?"

Lizzie didn't answer, staring at her twin across the room, "I don't know, dear cousin. She's just clumsy"

They started at each other for a moment, challengingly.

Both looking away after a moment, realizing neither was going to break, slightly impressed they both had that skill in common.

"Very nice" They looked toward Vera when she spoke. She was looking at Josie and Penelope "But there's no touching during this part. It's all about the simple intimacy of the near-touch"

Vera made a gesture for everyone to resume the rehearsal.

Now that suspicion raised, Kayla looked toward her roommate and cousin in slight concern, seeing the tension raising between the two of them.

Something was wrong.

~8~

"Penelope!"

Penelope stopped walking, turning around to see Kayla walking closer to her. "Kayla, what a nice sight. More time you spend with me, I'll be forced to think I'm now your best friend instead of Hope"

"Cut the crap" Kayla told her. Penelope straightened at her tone, raising her eyebrows. "What's up between you and Jo? Did she finally come to her senses and is begging you to stay and now you're both awkward with each other because you have feelings but don't know how to act on them yet?"

Penelope opened her mouth to answer when Kayla's question registered, smirking "You'd wish, huh?" she chuckled, seeing past the nonchalant expression of her friend. "You want us together. Playing cupid?"

"Don't be stupid and hilarious" Kayla rolled her eyes, "Is it wrong for me to want my friend to stay?"

Penelope's expression softened, "No. I wish I could stay but you know why I can't" She looked away for a moment, "Josie still doesn't know"

Kayla frowned, "I thought you were going to tell her? You told me so"

"It's kinda hard to tell someone you have feelings for you're leaving in their face" Penelope told her quietly, the only person she ever felt comfortable to look and share her insecurities. She knew Kayla didn't judge. "So I wrote it in a letter"

Kayla remembered, "The letter you gave her the day of the talent show"

Penelope nodded, "I just... She doesn't want to read it"

Kayla sighed, "Is that what your tension in the rehearsal was about? You keep insisting for her to read it and she keeps saying no"

"Yes" Penelope smoothly lied and Kayla bought it.

Penelope may cared deeply for Josie and wanted her to stand up for herself but this was also the first time she saw her roommate doing something as trivial as to help her best friend win a pageant and seem content with it, relaxed and normal just for once. It was going to be the last time she ever saw that and didn't want to ruin it by telling her Josie's plan to sabotage herself at the pageant to make her sister win. This wasn't like with the elections where she had Kayla choose cousin over cousin as she always knew where she stood with Lizzie and Josie at that time, this time she didn't want her friend having to choose between her best friend and her cousin. That'd hurt her and Penelope would never want her best friend to get hurt.

For once, Penelope had to work on this alone.

~8~

Kayla returned to the rehearsal room, stopping by Lizzie's side.

"Bathroom break, sorry" Kayla whispered.

"Trouble in Paradise" Lizzie informed with a frown, watching Landon and Hope arguing while dancing.

"I told him to not screw it" Kayla murmured as suddenly the room began to shake, the glass in the table near them began to clink against each other. The cousins exchanged looks once they felt the source of magic, "What's going on with Hope?"

Lizzie shook her head, starting to feel concern, "No idea. But she has to stop"

The magic wasn't stopping, not even after Hope pulled away from Landon, "Landon, Stop!"

"She's your best friend" Lizzie told her through gritted teeth, "Calm her down and take her outside. I'll wait for you two"

Lizzie gave her a pointed look, walking away.

Kayla walked closer, placing a hand in Hope's shoulder, siphoning her magic to make the earthquake to stop, "Easy, Hope" She glanced at Landon with a glare, "Let's go, shall we? You stay here, Kirby. You did enough"

Kayla led Hope away, her hand never leaving Hope's shoulder, not wanting to risk another earthquake.

~8~

Kayla led Hope through the woods toward the Old Mill.

"Kay, where are we going?" Hope asked.

Kayla didn't answer, reaching a clearing where Lizzie stood, waiting for them.

"Good, you both got here unharmed" Lizzie told them.

"Give me some credit" Kayla told her. "I'm not useless at this"

Hope looked between the siphoners, "What's going on?"

Lizzie gave Hope a look, gesturing at them to follow her, "You are a ticking time bomb. We're gonna show you how to take care of it before you hurt someone, or worse, cost us the pageant"

"I'm fine" Hope told them. "Okay? I just needed some air-"

"You are far from fine" Kayla told her, whirling to face her making Lizzie stop, turning to face them, nodding in agreement with Kayla's statement. Something she'd never believe she'd do. "You are one small moment away from a meltdown, trust us" She pointed between herself and Lizzie "We know how that feels"

Hope looked away, swallowing a lump in her throat.

Lizzie nodded, "We know the signs. You know that feeling inside, like a balloon constantly filling up, always on the verge of popping?"

Hope hesitated, looking between the two girls in front of her, shrugging nonchalantly "Maybe"

"Well, let it pop" Lizzie told her.

Hope looked at her surprised, looking at her best friend who seemed to agree.

"Scream as loud as you can, Hope" Kayla told her.

Hope raised her eyebrows as both Lizzie and Kayla walked around her, stopping behind her, nodding at her.

Hope sighed turning away from them unsure, taking a deep breath, letting it all out with a loud scream that made her magic spark up, flowing in waves away from within her and out toward the trees, kicking up leaves and dust, causing the birds to fly away.

The potency of the magic made both siphoners to cringe slightly, looking at each other in shock, not realizing how much Hope had been bottling up without anyone realizing. It made Kayla feel guilty for not realizing how much her best friend was suffering without her noticing.

Hope let her scream fade, breathing heavily for a few seconds. Her body felt light and her muscles relaxed, thing the siphoners noticed, exchanging now smug and proud looks.

~8~

Lizzie, Kayla and Hope now made their way back to the school.

Hope felt different, like a weight was lifted from her shoulders, looking at the girls, panting slightly, "You know? I actually feel a lot better. But I think I need to go back up to my room. I need to call it a day"

Lizzie's smile faded, giving her a look, "No, you are not dropping out on me.
If I'm right, which I am, our win probability is still at 87%. Even after that abysmal rehearsal. So buckle up, we're in this till the bitter end"

Kayla chuckled.

The girls stopped as Landon appeared, walking closer to them, looking sheepish and guilty.

"In a situation like this, which one of us is supposed to apologize?" Hope asked, watching Landon walk closer.

"When it comes to jealousy?" Lizzie asked, "Always the guy"

"Hey" Landon told them.

"Hey" Hope told him, stepping forward, leaving the cousins behind as they watched the interaction.

Kayla had her arms crossed over her chest.

"But in a girl girl situation of jealousy..." Lizzie began quietly, smirking at Kayla, "Who has to apologise, Kay?"

"Shut up" Kayla murmured.

Lizzie chuckled.

"I'm so sorry, I was totally insensitive" Landon began, stammering, looking down "And I just, I-" When he looked up, he jumped startled, staring at a statue that had never been there before, "Where did this statue come from?"

Hope looked at the statue, confused "Uh, I-I don't know, somebody probably moved it up here when they were cleaning? Looks like one of the statues from the basement"

Lizzie and Kayla walked closer at that, looking at the statue in confusion.

Landon frowned, thinking the statue seemed familiar, leaning toward it "Call me crazy, but doesn't this look like MG's mom?"

Lizzie and Kayla blinked, stunned.

Hope widened her eyes, "I think it is MG's mom"

~8~

MG and Alaric were now here, studying the statue of MG's mom.

"Who would do this to my mom?" MG asked, worriedly.

"Well, not just who would" Hope told him "Who could?"

"It could be a bad spell translation" Alaric told them "A potion mishap?"

"Or a monster" Kayla told them, "Don't tell me neither of you considered it"

Alaric looked at her "There's no reason a monster would be here"

Lizzie turned to Landon, sarcastically "Unless this sentient jar of artisanal mayonnaise activated a new artifact. What did you touch?"

Landon blinked, "Everything" Kayla gave him an exasperated look, "We cleaned the school from top to bottom, remember?" Lizzie rolled her eyes, looking away "But if we're just gonna throw out wild theories, here's one: what if the person who did this showed up today, out of nowhere, acting all buddy-buddy, manipulating romantic feelings to get someone's guard down?"

MG slowly looked away, staring to realize something. Maybe he knew who did it.

"Do you seriously suspect Roman?" Hope asked.

"Yeah, we all should" Landon told her. "The timing is too convenient"

Hope chuckled slightly, sarcastically "I thought you were sorry for acting jealous"

"I was sorry, but now I'm vindicated" Landon told her.

"Alright" Alaric called out before Hope and Landon could continue arguing. "Lizzie, Hope, Kayla, you keep an eye on the contestants. MG, we're gonna search the campus" MG nodded, "Landon-"

Landon began to walk away "I'm gonna go ask Roman some questions"

"Yeah, super helpful" Hope called out to him, sarcastically "Ask a vampire how he turned a woman to stone"

"All right, everyone stay alert and be careful out there" Alaric told them, walking away.

MG followed behind, glancing back at his statue mom in worry.

~8~

Hope, Lizzie and Kayla were at Lizzie's room.

Lizzie was at her closet, pulling out from the top shelf of her closet a box.

Kayla was sitting in Lizzie's bed with her legs crossed under her, holding a pen as she read one of Lizzie's pageant books.

Hope paced around the room, reading the speech Kayla wrote to her, basing it from the winner's section books.

"'Though I still struggle daily with a profound sense of l-loss'..." Hope read, skeptically. "Lizzie, Kay... Um, why are all the answers that you've prepared for me about death and grief?"

Lizzie placed the box in front of Kayla who put aside some of the books, starting to open the box that looked like a dress box.

"The Q and A portion of Miss Mystic Falls isn't just about A-ing the Qs, Hope" Lizzie told her.

Kayla gestured lazily at one of the books, "It's like sympathy points. Most girls win for that. Elena Salvatore who at the time was just Gilbert almost won over Lizzie's mom because of that"

Lizzie nodded, "Mom even pointed out in her research about it, how she was sure Elena was going to win" She shrugged, "You and Dana's mom have a lot in common" Hope crossed her arms. "She lost Dana, you lost your mom, your dad, Landon... Almost"

"I'm not-" Hope told her, throwing her arms up, faking a smile, dropping her hands "I'm not struggling anymore. I've dealt with it and moved on"

Kayla gave her a knowing look, knowing when to remain quiet as she was certain Hope still struggled by her loses. I mean, who wouldn't? Kayla wether she admitted it or not missed her siblings and mom. Even if they were awful to her.

Lizzie didn't seem to believe her either, smiling slightly, opening the dress box, pulling away the protector to show Hope the dress.

Hope walked closer, looking down at the dress as Kayla leaned forward, peering at the dress box.

"This was my mother's" Lizzie told her with a smile. Hope smiled slightly "We can alter it to fit you"

Hope smiled down at the dress, "It's gorgeous"

Kayla nodded, smiling.

~8~

While the interview portion was happening, Lizzie and Kayla waited for Hope at the common room.

Kayla broke the silence between them, "How did you know I'd be able to help Hope too?"

"Correction" Lizzie told her, without looking up from a clipboard of their to do list, "How did I know you also have psychotic outbursts like I used to, to know what kind of release Hope needed?"

Kayla nodded awkwardly, "I guess so"

Lizzie looked up, dropping the clipboard to her lap, leaning against the coach "Just because when you first got here two years ago and avoided me and Josie all the time and rejected every attempt to befriend you that first week doesn't mean I never kept an eye on the newbie"

"It's so you to keep an eye on every new student, isn't it?" Kayla asked.

"Of course, how else am I going to make sure they're not a danger to the place me, my sister and our friends call home?" Lizzie asked. Kayla sighed, looking away in understanding "I saw you. The first weekend you got here. Your magic was out of control, some witches complained how doing magic with you hurt them. At that point I didn't realize what exactly that meant, but it was your siphoning, wasn't it?"

"It was painful to others when I siphoned" Kayla told her, nodding "Just Hope knew about it and allowed me to siphon her every morning, helping me control it and make it less painful"

Lizzie nodded thoughtfully, "Yeah, sure. But that first month nothing was easy for you. I saw you struggling and..." She sighed, looking away "I saw you lose control on my dad" Kayla kept her face blank, not letting her see what she was thinking. "For one moment, dad looked like he wanted to kick you out but something changed in that moment and I remember the way he looked at you, it was the same way he looked at me when I had my episodes. I knew at that moment you and I had something in common"

"I guess we both inherited the psycho gene" Kayla told her after a moment.

Lizzie's lips twitched slightly, "I don't blame you for whatever your dad did, if anything we both are victims of the neurotic gene passed onto us" Kayla chuckled. "That's why I knew you could help Hope too, because you know how that feels and cause you two are close"

Kayla and Lizzie exchanged small smiles.

~8~

The final part of the pageant was in motion. The contestants were being introduced as Lizzie and Kayla stood in opposite sides of the room while keeping an eye on them to find who turned MG's mom to stone and to cheer for Hope when she walked down the stairs.

Lizzie wore a black dress, little make up and her hair straight as Kayla wore a wine red dress, little make up and her hair in an updo braided bun.

Kayla clapped with a smile as Josie and Penelope walked down the stairs.

She felt a presence stop by her side and refrained herself from rolling her eyes.

"Didn't know you liked this kind of things" Roman told her, clapping lazily.

"I don't" Kayla told him. Roman raised his eyebrows amused, touching one braided part of her updo. Kayla grabbed his hand, pushing it away, "Stop it. You'll make me want to undo what took me an hour to make"

Roman smiled, chuckling "Listen to yourself, for once acting like a girl"

Kayla chuckled in amusement about to reply when a thud and several gasps ran through the room.

"What the hell is wrong with Josie?" Kayla asked in shock, hand in her mouth as she looked at the siphoner on the ground. "She's not that clumsy..."

Roman shook his head, sighing as he looked around "That wasn't an accident"

Kayla looked at him, waiting for him to explain but Roman didn't, shrugging, looking away. Kayla frowned, looking at Josie who stood, looking at Penelope, exchanging a few words before Penelope glanced over Josie's shoulder to someone in specific. Kayla followed her gaze toward Lizzie and suddenly understood, whipping her head toward Penelope who looked sad and disappointed, meeting eyes with Kayla for a brief second before walking away. Penelope's eyes seemed glowing and it took Kayla a moment to realize what that meant.

Penelope was done.

She could no longer take her heart breaking by Josette Saltzman.

"What's wrong?" Roman broke her out of her thoughts, seeing her expression fall. "I never thought I'd seen the day you'd look sad"

"I'm fine" Kayla told him, "I just... I didn't know that having friends could hurt whenever they're hurt"

Roman seemed to understand why she said that, glancing toward where Penelope left, "Those are true friendships"

Kayla smiled a little, looking up when she noticed Hope wearing Caroline's beautiful blue dress walk in at the top of the stairs, standing alone. "Indeed" However, she noticed something wrong in the way Landon got there late and seemed to sway. "Can you hear them?"

Roman followed her gaze and squinted his eyes, focusing his hearing. Hope and Landon's conversation made him cringe, "He's upset Hope lied to him about his mom. That she never told him he forgot about meeting her except her"

Kayla grimaced, "How does he know that?"

Roman sighed, "Penelope told him, apparently"

Kayla didn't say anything and Roman decided to stop talking as Landon stormed away, leaving Hope alone.

Kayla's eyes narrowed, "I'm gonna kill him"

Roman placed a hand in her arm, looking up at Hope in worry, "We can do that later, together. We kinda have an unstable tribid to worry about. What do we do?"

Kayla took a deep breath, closing her eyes momentarily, "Go to her. Go down the stairs as her escort" She opened her eyes, looking at Roman, explaining hurriedly "The year Caroline, the twins mom won the pageant, Elena Salvatore was supposed to be escorted by Stefan Salvatore who for some reason in Caroline's Mystic Falls binder chickened out and Damon Salvatore stepped in and saved her from embarrassment. Hope's Elena... Be her Damon and save her"

Roman nodded, "Just relax, buddy"

Roman squeezed her shoulders, reassuringly, walking away toward one of the hallways and after making sure no one was watching, Kayla saw him vamp speed toward Hope.

~8~

Kayla bit her nails nervously, watching the contestants and their escorts dance to Always by David James, not keeping her eyes from Hope and Roman, tapping her leg on the ground, noticing the way Hope kept her strong front up though she still could see through the gaps, noticing her friend was doing everything she could to not break down in the middle of the dance floor and in front of everyone.

Her eyes made a swept through all the contestants when a sad looking Penelope stepped next to her.

"Pen?" Kayla teared her attention away from the pageant and to one of her best friends.

"Can we talk?" Penelope asked, glancing toward Hope and Roman dancing.

Kayla didn't hesitate, having the feeling Penelope needed her right now. "Of course"

Penelope's lips twitched in a smile a they both walked away toward a silent hallway.

"You look beautiful, demon" Penelope broke the silence between them, "Did you know this is the first time people has seen you in a dress?"

Kayla had the feeling that wasn't what they were here to talk but played along to ease her friend's anxiety, "Surprised myself too when I realized I had it on my closet and didn't hesitate to put it on" Penelope chuckled. "You looked beautiful too up there"

Penelope turned to face her, eyes glimmering with tears she'd never let fall, "I'm gonna miss you so much"

Kayla wavered, stepping forward, wrapping her arms around Penelope, hugging her tightly. "I'd wish you didn't have to leave"

Penelope was slightly startled by the hug Kayla started but didn't hesitate to return it. "You know why I'm doing this. It's no longer about Jo, its about safety, Kay"

"I know" Kayla nodded on Penelope's shoulder, "You have a heart to nurture back to health too"

Penelope chuckled, pulling away, "Write me"

"I'll Skype you every day if possible" Kayla told her with a small smile.

There were no more goodbyes they could say. Kayla knew the moment her mom came for her and started to pack. She had even once grabbed Penelope's baggage and returned all the things she packed back to her drawers, not letting her continue. Other day she helped her with some stuff just to storm away and not helping. Those were the harder days for Penelope, seeing her friend reacting that way just for her, someone who genuinely cared for her like no one else at the school did.

What was even more painful was that Josie never knew she was leaving. But maybe that was for the best. She wouldn't have to face even more heartbreak.

Penelope smiled slightly, "Go and support your bestie"

Kayla refrained from accusing her of what she did to both Landon and Hope, it was not her fault if Landon decided to be a dick about it and leave Hope alone on her big moment. He should have man up and escorted her out and at least wait until the pageant was over to be a dramatic little bitch to throw his tantrum...

Well, she really doesn't like Landon, does she?

"Your mom's waiting for you?" Kayla asked.

"Yes" Penelope answered. "I'm sure she'd scold me after what she witnessed out there"

"You were a queen back there, nothing to be embarrassed about" Kayla smirked.

"You'll make me blush" Penelope told her.

And with that, part of her heart seemed to warm up. Kayla truly became your friend once you went through her walls, always loyal. Penelope was glad to be one of the few she let her guard down. She was really going to miss her.

With one last hug, Penelope walked away as Kayla watched her go with a small smile.

~8~

Kayla walked to the room again, seeing the dance still happening, coming across the twins arguing and the tension between them was worse than ever, sensing something ripping within their bond.

"Girls..." Kayla walked closer, looking around nervously, "Can you not do this here?"

Josie had her eyes filled with tears, looking at Lizzie with an expression neither girl had ever seen. It was pure betrayal and hurt, looking at her own sister like a stranger, "You never consider anybody's feelings but your own"

"What?" Lizzie asked stunned, glancing at Kayla as if asking she heard that too. Kayla just looked between them, not knowing what to do "That isn't fair"

"Isn't it?" Josie asked, brokenly "It's bad enough that you didn't think I'd want to enter, but not a single part of you thought that I could even win?"

"Oh, Jo..." Kayla whispered, frowing.

"Jo, I'm not a mind reader, okay?" Lizzie told her "If you wanted to win-"

"Of course I wanted to win" Josie interrupted. Lizzie's smile fell. Kayla sighed silently, looking away. "But the second you dropped out, you gifted your entire plan to Hope"

"Because of science-" Lizzie began. Kayla shook her head at her. Lizzie shut up at the gesture and at her sister's heartbroken expression

"Lizzie, listen to yourself" Josie told her, chuckling slightly, sarcastically "Science? What about your sister's feelings? Do you know how good it would feel to actually be competing? In Mom's dress?" They glanced toward Hope and Roman. "Did you even consider how Hope would feel wearing it?"

Kayla frowned in confusion, "What's that supposed to mean?"

Lizzie waved away Kayla's question "She looks fantastic. She should feel amazing"

"Will she still feel amazing when she learns where it came from?" Josie asked.

"Jo, what the hell are you talking about?" Kayla demanded. She looked at Lizzie "Lizzie?"

"Nothing, Jo's overreacting about where it came from" Lizzie told her, rolling her eyes, "It was a gift from some guy who used to crush on Mom"

Josie sighed, "From Klaus Mikaelson, Lizzie" Kayla's eyes widened, looking toward Hope and Roman whose head was tilted to their direction, obviously listening to them. "Hope's dad"

Josie walked away, leaving Lizzie stunned in silence.

"Roman..."  Kayla whispered, knowing he was going to tell Hope about it.

Roman glanced their way, locking eyes with Kayla. That's when she knew he had definitely heard them. Hope had to know and it seemed like she had asked him to spy on them. Roman sighed, looking at Kayla apologetically. Kayla nodded slightly in understanding.

Kayla knew in what moment Hope's world began to break down. Klaus Mikaelson was taken away from her so suddenly that every piece of his life given back to her was overwhelming. Hope was wearing a dress that had been in his possession. It was his dress. Hope was close to her dad she couldn't even grasp the thought.

Lizzie stepped forward, feeling guilty.

Vera announcing Hope as Miss Mystic Falls fell on deaf ears for both siphoners and Hope.

Suddenly, the room began to shake, both siphoners looking around, seeing what an overwhelmed Hope was causing.

"She's hurting" Kayla told her, starting to panic, not knowing what to do for Hope. What could she do? She had no experience comforting others, she had never been good with emotions until lately... What if she made it worse? What if she hurt Hope even more? "How-How... Liz, how am I supposed to help her? She's gonna break down... And I don't know what to do. I don't know how to help my best friend!"

Lizzie had never seen those girls be on the verge of a break down and knowing she was the cause, she had to fix it.

"Leave it to me" Lizzie told her, turning to face her cousin, "Just breathe and please don't have a psychotic break down too. I can't deal with two"

"Just help Hope" Kayla told her, taking deep breaths, wriggling her fingers, anxiously.

Lizzie walked closer to Hope as everyone cheered and clapped and the Salvatore students looked nervous at the sign of magic, looking at Hope to see if she was going to expose them all.

Lizzie immediately pulled Hope to an embrace as if congratulating her, just to siphon the magic and tell her to let all her feelings out the real way she needed to all along.

Crying. 

The growing earthquake faded and those who knew about the existence of magic relaxed, knowing they were still safe.

Kayla watched Hope being comforted by Lizzie in relief.

"I'm sorry, Kayla" Roman stepped next to her, "I didn't know she was going to..."

"You did the right thing, Roman" Kayla told him, "She needed this. To stop bottling everything. She needed to know her dad's Always and forever with her"

Roman nodded as they both watched the girls in the middle of the dance floor being cheered for the tribid's win.

~8~

Kayla stood in her room, watching the empty and blank side that belonged to Penelope.

"It's official, we need new roommates" Hope said from the doorway.

Kayla turned around, seeing Hope was wearing now casual clothes instead of the dress. Kayla changed too but kept her hair the same.

"Don't try to be funny" Kayla told her, "My roommate just left"

Hope nodded, walking inside, stopping next to her best friend as they looked toward the empty, blank wall "I know. And I'm sorry"

They were silent for a moment.

"How are you feeling?" Kayla asked.

"Lighter" Hope answered quietly "I needed a good cry, apparently"

Kayla turned to face her, "I'm sorry I didn't know how to help you"

Hope turned to face her, "You kidding? You were helping me the moment you stopped avoiding me by leaving with my ex boyfriend. I didn't know you were friends"

"I didn't know he was my friend either" Kayla told her, "He was there for both of us today"

Hope nodded, "He was" She stayed silent for a moment, "Don't you dare ever avoid me again. I can't take it. You're my sister, my best friend. I couldn't deal without you"

Kayla wrapped her arms around Hope, hugging her tightly, "I'm full of hugs today, I'm surprised too" They chuckled slightly as they held each other for a moment, "I'm not leaving, Mikaelson. Remember what you once told me? You can't take it back anymore. You're stuck with me..."

Both girls finished together, "Always and forever"

Hope's voice almost breaking with emotion, closing her eyes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.3K 615 19
Amelia Salvatore. The name Salvatore ring any bells? The daughter of Stefan and Caroline and the older sister of Lizzie and Josie. Join her on her j...
87.5K 2K 90
Once it was read that "to lose, it meant that you had something" but what can you do after you lost everything that ever gave you meaning? Emma Gilb...
1.8K 64 9
"ℋ𝑜𝓅𝑒 ℳ𝒾𝓀𝑒𝒶𝓁𝓈𝑜𝓃, 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒶𝓃𝓃𝑜𝓎 𝓂𝑒 𝓈𝑜 𝓂𝓊𝒸𝒽 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒶𝓁𝓈𝑜 𝓂𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝓂𝑒 𝒻𝑒𝑒𝓁 𝓌𝒶𝓃𝓉𝑒𝒹" .~ .~ "ℰ𝒹...
41.8K 1K 20
Sarah Nightshade, aka Sadie, was not your average girl. She's a blonde 17-year-old with anger problems, but...she's also a hybrid. A mix between were...