Defined by his past ♤Legacies...

By Deya0302

The past was haunting her. The legacy her father left her was a weight on her shoulders she could never get r... More

Defined by the Past ♤
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Dearest Dad
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Season Two
Chapter 2.1
Chapter 2.2
New Book
Chapter 2.3
Chapter 2.4
Chapter 2.5
Chapter 2.6
Chapter 2.7
Chapter 2.8
Chapter 2.9
Chapter 2.10
Chapter 2.11
Chapter 2.12
Chapter 2.13
Chapter 2.14
Chapter 2.15
Chapter 2.16
Chapter 2.17
Chapter 2.18
Chapter 2.19
Season 3
Chapter 3.1
Chapter 3.2
Chapter 3.3
Chapter 3.4
Chapter 3.5
Chapter 3.6
Chapter 3.7
Chapter 3.8
Chapter 3.9

Chapter 12

2.9K 62 34
By Deya0302

"THERE'S A MUMMY ON MAIN STREET"

Hope and Kayla were sitting on the common room, sipping a coffee, watching the other students talking about Spring Break, looking at each other, rolling their eyes.

"So, Penelope's actually leaving?" Hope asked.

Kayla nodded, "Yes, my slug infected brain didn't give it too much thought but now I am sober, that makes me sad. I know you don't like her or the twins, but she's my friend. She got to know things about me Alaric nor you knew about it when i first got here. In a way, she was my rock the first months on the school" Hope nodded in understanding, glad that Kayla had someone like that after losing her entire family. She understood what that felt like. She had Alaric. Kayla had Penelope. "I'm gonna miss her"

"I know you will" Hope told her.

Kayla smiled slightly

~8~

"You're going where?" Hope and Kayla asked in unison, staring at Alaric.

The last few days, after the slug infection plague, Alaric had been infected too and threw the urn to the river. Since then, Dorian had been looking the entire river for it, but it was possible the urn had been swept by it with the water current. And small insects plagues had been occurring the last few days in the river's path. Most likely, it was a monster following the urn's trail where it fell in a dam -the end of the river- and most likely to be stuck in there.

Their job was to take the urn back, saving the people from the town close by from the monster after the urn. Maple Hollows seemed to be targeted town they had to go to for the urn.

The plus side was that the urn hunting trip was a nice spring break vacation both girls didn't want to miss either.

A break from the school was really needed.

Hope and Kayla looked at each other, raising their eyebrows, nodding. "We're going"

Alaric gave them a look.

"Should be fun, right?" Kayla asked innocently, tilting her head. "The more, the merrier"

Hope pointed at her, "Don't jinx it"

~8~

"Told you not to jinx it" Hope murmured, arms crossed.

Not only Hope, Dorian and Alaric were going. Also the twins, Emma and for some reason Kaleb was going too. Alaric was driving a van, Kaleb was in the passenger seat. The four girls, Josie, Hope, Kayla and Lizzie were sitting behind them. Josie behind Kaleb, Lizzie behind Alaric and Hope and Kayla in the middle with Dorian and Emma in the back.

"It's not jinxed yet" Kayla murmured back, chuckling, starting to look through some bags she had packed.

Hope rolled her eyes, helping her out. "Just wait and see"

"Dr. Saltzman, this van is very white of you" Kaleb told him.

Alaric looked at him, "It's retro"

Kaleb gave him a sarcastic look.

"It's a gas-guzzling atrocity on wheels" Lizzie deadpanned.

Kayla and Hope straightened up with a content sigh, pulling out food from the bags.

"We brought snacks" Kayla told them, starting to pass the snacks to each one of them.

"Oh, sweet" Lizzie told them sarcastically "Did you pack them before or after you and Hope decided to FOMO your way onto our trip?"

"Oh?" Kayla asked innocently, "We're family. Do I need an invite to spend my first spring break with you guys?"

Lizzie opened her mouth, having briefly forgotten that detail. It was still weird knowing Kayla was her cousin. "Well, not you. Not now. But Hope..."

Kaleb looked at them through the rear view mrror, slightly shocked Kayla and the twins were family, staying silent, raising his eyebrows.

Hope smiled sweetly, sarcastically "Like I'm gonna let you guys chase monsters without me? Kay and I are package too, if you have forgotten"

Kayla rubbed her lips together, smiling awkwardly, shoving Hope slightly.

Hope smiled at her best friend.

"I would've thought you wanted to spend the break canoodling with your hipster boyfriend" Lizzie told her sarcastically.

"Sorry for wanting to protect the outside world from my mistakes" Hope told her sarcastically "You know, there's currently an urn on a river cruise spreading plagues across America because I thought a unicorn was cute"

"We" Kayla corrected, but was ignored.

"It's called accountability" Lizzie told her.

Josie, who had her earphones looked at Kayla, awkwardly. Kayla sighed, tilting her head aside. Neither girl really wanted to see Hope and Lizzie arguing the entire trip and actually ruin it and mess up their shot at taking the urn back.

"Maybe there's a bracelet for it" Hope told her sweetly, sarcastically

Kaleb chuckled, raising his eyebrows, chuckling "Uhh..."

"Or maybe you just wanted to ruin yet another Saltzman spring break" Lizzie replied.

Hope frowned "When have I ever ruined a spring break?"

"Stop it" Kayla snapped. Hope and Lizzie looked at her. "Seriously, no one wants to hear you two bickering over like five years old these six hours ride on a small vehicle, got it? So chill"

"Thank you, Kayla" Alaric told her.

Kayla smiled sweetly, "No problem, uncle Ric"

Hope rolled her eyes, sighing "It would help if it wasn't a thousand degrees in here. I'm burning up"

"You're burning up" Lizzie told her, rolling her eyes, sarcastic "Now, that's ironic"

Hope looked confused, "What does that even mean?"

"Don't play dumb" Lizzie told her. "I see you. I see right through you"

"I don't know what you're talking about" Hope told her.

Kayla threw her head backwards, groaning in annoyance "Five seconds. Really? That's all your playing nice lasted"

Lizzie scoffed "We can't play nice. It's over. Done. I'm getting back to me, dear cus. I am who I am" She looked over Kayla and Hope toward her sister "Right, Josie?" Josie was looking outside the window, her earphones on as she tried not to get sick, not listening to the girls "Josie"

Kayla tapped Josie's arm. Josie looked at her. Kayla tilted her head at Lizzie, pointing at her ears.

Josie pulled down an earphone "Sorry?"

Lizzie gave her an incredulous and pleading look, "Josie, you cannot leave me alone with just them for company"

Josie shrugged "Well, I get carsick if I don't listen to music"

Josie put on her earphones again.

"Josie!" Lizzie told her, reaching out her hand to her sister, trying to bring down the earphones, desperately. 

Hope and Kayla complained, struggling, trying to push off Lizzie.

"Girls!" Alaric, who no longer could ignore the girls' behavior called out. Hope pushed Lizzie back, giving her a look. Lizzie crossed her arms, pouting, leaning back on the seat. Kayla sighed in relief. "Girls, there is no reason to be tense or awkward, okay?" The girls avoided looking at each other, all of them frowning "Now knock it off. We're gonna get through this together. God help us all"

Kaleb smiled sarcastically, wondering why he accepted to come, realizing the Saltzman-Mikaelson-Rivers drama was bigger than he had imagined, "Woot. Road trip"

~8~

Most of the road, neither girl had spoken, bringing Alaric a small piece of relief, knowing the silent wouldn't last very much. He was moving his head along the beat of the song on the radio, all in an awkward silence. Kaleb looked at him weirdly as Alaric began tapping the wheel with a beat. 

"I'm boiling" Hope suddenly spoke, touching her forehead, leaning her head on Kayla's shoulder.

"I'm freezing" Lizzie told them.

Josie looked up, pulling down her earphones "I'm starving"

"I'm bored" Kayla told them, looking upwards sarcastically, as if she was mocking the girls' tones.

Alaric tried to ignore the girls, mentally praying for the trip to go smoothly.

Lizzie pursed her lips, glancing at Hope, suddenly punching her shoulder "Punch buggy"

Hope yelped startled, giving her a wide eyed look.

Lizzi looked at her smugly, looking away.

Hope looked toward Kayla, helplessly.

Kayla looked away, pointedly.

~8~

At the middle of the trip, Emma and Dorian started to pass out sandwiches.

Kayla accepted hers with a small smile, "Yummy"

Everyone began eating.

Lizzie punched Hope's shoulder again, "Punch buggy, no returns"

Hope looked at Kayla in exasperation.

Kayla raised her eyebrows, sighing silently, tilting her head toward Lizzie.

Lizzie smiled innocently.

Kayla looked away, shaking her head, unable to hide a small smile.

"99 bottles of beer on the wall" Alaric sang, pointing at them, "99 bottles of beer"

Josie leaned forward, her face scrunching in pain and disgust, "I think..."

"Jo..." Kayla warned in realization, "Take a bag"

Josie gagged, looking sick, throwing up in front of her and Kayla.

Hope, Lizzie and Kayla yelped in disgust, backing away from Josie all they could. "My God!"

"The bag, Jo!" Kayla told her in disgust, pinching her nose, looking up at the ceiling, as if asking what she did that day to deserve that punishment.

~8~

Alaric yawned.

Lizzie leaned forward, annoyed and tired "Are we there yet?"

Josie threw up again. Fortunately in the bag this time.

The girls exclaimed in disgust.

Alaric glanced at them, "In the bag, sweetheart"

"Drive faster, please" Kayla told him, pleadingly.

Hope buried her head on Kayla's shoulder, making a face in disgust, regretting their choice to go on the trip "Why did we want to come again?"

"I totally jinxed it, didn't I?" Kayla asked, sighing.

Hope nodded. "Totally"

~8~

The rest of the trip was uneventful and boring. Kaleb was the only one who felt traumatised by the trip.

But, it felt a little better when they saw the town sign.

Josie was singing, playing the guitar. The rest was lightly bobbing their heads with the beat of the music, smiling slight smiles in relief when they finally arrived.

Alaric stopped the car.

Lizzie grabbed the sides of her head in frustration, "We there yet?"

"Yes!" Alaric answered, loudly.

The girls exchanged relieved looks with each other.

~8~

Dorian went to the dam to get ready to find the urn while the girls, Emma, Alaric and Kaleb adventured on town to stop the monster from giving Maple Hallows a plague.

"Welcome to Maple Hollows" Kaleb told them.

"Girls, you take the fountain area" Alaric told them. "See what you can find out"

The girls did as told, asking questions to the people around the town square, meeting each other near the fountain once they finished.

Hope walked toward Lizzie and Kayla, who sat at a bench.

Josie walked closer, "Fun fact: this town has the biggest ball of yarn in the country" Hope tilted her head, curiously. Josie smiled tightly, crossing her arms, "And nobody's seen anything strange"

"This isn't exactly a hotspot of activity" Kayla told them, looking around.

Hope and Lizzie turned to her.

"Our hopes of finding anything are going up in smoke" Lizzie told them.

Hope frowned in realization, looking at Lizzie "Wait, are you passive-aggressively referring to that fire in my dorm room three years ago?"

"What fire?" Kayla asked.

Josie shook her head, looking down. "You don't want to know"

"You mean the one that you set on purpose to sabotage our spring break trip with our dad?" Lizzie asked, sarcastically. Hope scoffed silently in disbelief "No, Hope. Why would I talk about that?"

"Dude, you've lost it" Hope told her.

Lizzie stood, angrily. "The only thing that we lost was a week of quality family time" Kayla grabbed Lizzie's sleeve, trying to make her sit down, awkwardly and confused, looking between Lizzie and Hope "Dad had to cancel the trip to deal with the damage. So mission accomplished"

Kayla dropped her hand, scratching the back of her neck, sighing.

"You guys are just talking about ancient history-Ow!" Josie told them, yelping in pain, swatting her arm, looking down at it in alarmed confusion "Something stung me"

Josie rolled up her sleeve.

Hope, Kayla and Lizzie walked closer, looking down at Josie's arm, seeing a bleeding bite. In sync, the girls looked away, exclaiming in disgust.

They looked at each other in worry when they heard buzzing coming closer, becoming louder.

The girls looked up in alarm when people began screaming, running away, looking toward the source, seeing an herd of insects coming closer.

"This is plague-y, right?" Hope asked, looking up at the insects "It seems plague-y"

People ran past them, screaming in fear.

Kayla sighed, tilting her head "It's plague-y"

The girls looked around the people, slightly annoyed but they had no choice but to find a place to be safe from the plague, finding a restaurant.

~

Once the insects were gone, Hope opened the door, seeing the insects dead on the ground, walking away from the restaurant.

"We need to find your dad" Hope told them, walking away. Josie and Kayla followed. "This way"

Lizzie slowly followed behind, sarcastically "Does this way take us past the fire station?"

Kayla threw her head backwards, groaning in annoyance, following them.

"Oh, my God" Hope told her in frustration. Josie looked at Lizzie in exasperation, shaking her head, "We barely just survived a biblical plague. For the last time, I didn't start that fire, and I've never ruined a spring break"

"Yeah, Lizzie, now's not the time" Josie told her.

"You can argue all you want after we stop this plague" Kayla told them.

Lizzie ignored her sister and cousin's attempts to keep them civilized "Fifth grade. You callously gave me the flu while we were building our float for witch week. With global warming, I may never see the Florida Keys. That's on you"

Hope looked ahead, incredulously, "We built it with Alyssa Chang, who had pneumonia over spring break. It wasn't me, and neither was that fire"

"Um, hey-" Josie began hesitantly, looking down at her bitten arm, slowing down. Kayla looked over her shoulder, stopping, walking closer, looking at Josie's arm in disgust.

"Why did I see you giving us a death glare through the window?" Lizzie asked.

"There's a boil on my boil" Josie looked up from her bite, it was red and it looked disgusting for Kayla

Lizzie and Hope turned to the other girls, looking at Josie's arm, cringing and looking away.

"Oh, God!" Lizzie exclaimed

 "Ew!" Hope exclaimed.

Josie looked away from her arm, starting to gag "I think I'm gonna be sick again"

"Please aim somewhere else" Kayla told her.

Josie nodded slightly, gagging, looking away.

Lizzie flickered her fingers in front of Hope and Kayla, "Pick up the pace, Mikaelson-Rivers" The three girls took a turn on the corner "My sister needs..." The girls stopped at the sound of a megaphone calling in the people to get in line. It looked like people from a central disease center coming to help the townspeope "Medical assistance"

Hope, Kayla, Josie and Lizzie exchanged a wary look, looking at the people in yellow suits, making all the bitten people with skin rash or bites like the one Josie had stay in one line. Like quarantine. 

~8~

FEMA Recovery Center, Maple Hollows

The girls, Emma, Alaric and Kaleb were led inside the tents to the triage with all the hurt people after they took their phones away.

There were people laying on medical beds, hooked up to IV fluids, some looking sick, some getting treatment for their insect bites, some getting their info checked as the six supernaturals plus Alaric waited in line.

"I don't get it" Hope told them, "The locals that we met said that they hadn't seen anything, which means that the first sign of trouble happened after we got here"

They looked around, confused.

Emma frowned "How did these people get here before the bugs?"

"I don't know who they are, but they are too prepared, organized, and well-equipped to be responding to some random insect attack" Alaric observed, glancing at the people in suits, discreetly. 

It came their turn. 

The woman holding a clipboard looked up at the six "You together?"

"Yeah, you know, we just came in from Roanoke to see that giant ball of yarn you guys have" Alaric told her.

The woman looked bored, looking toward Emma and the teenagers "And these are?"

Alaric passed an arm around Emma, pulling her closer "This is my wife," Emma followed the lie, chuckling nervously, smiling "Emma" He looked behind him to the girls, "Uh these are my daughters" The woman looked at him, bored "From my first marriage" Josie waved slightly. "And Kaleb here is-"

"My boyfriend" Josie and Lizzie spoke at the same time, linking their arms with Kaleb.

The woman raised her eyebrows, nodding slightly, looking down at her clipboard.

Kaleb smiled, shrugging "Hey when you're good, you're good, right?"

Kayla shoved her hands to her jacket pocket, looking down, shaking slightly her head, murmuring "Oh, my God. Kill me"

Hope, standing at her side nodded slightly, amused "I can do it"

"Just spare me from this moment" Kayla whispered, looking at the twins in embarrasement.

Hope chuckled under her breath.

The woman finished writting, nodding at them to move.

Emma and Alaric smiled fakely, nodding, walking away. 

The teens followed.

Hope and Kayla linked their arms, looking around, warily. 

Hope tensed slightly when she noticed a familiar man walking past them. 

Kayla nudged her shoulder, frowning "You okay?"

Hope nodded, looking away from the man, pursing her lips "My day couldn't get bettter"

Kayla raised her eyebrows in acknowledgment. 

~8~

Kayla and Hope sat with Lizzie and Josie on the ground. Hope had told Kayla before sitting with the twins about the man she saw earlier was the same she and Alaric met in Kansas outside of Landon's mom's Seylah's house while looking for him. The man had faked a gas leak also looking for Landon. 

Hope also mentioned the gear she saw outside was the same Dorian was going to use to find the urn on the dam. They now were waiting for Alaric and Kaleb to find a way to communicate with Dorian to warn him. 

They noticed Alaric being stopped by the man when he was on his way to them. 

Josie frowned, looking at them "Hey, who is that guy?"

"This creep we met in Kansas when you guys were in Europe" Hope answered, looking at the men, glancing at Josie. 

"Why were you in Kansas?" Lizzie asked. She smiled sarcastically, not letting Hope answer "Oh, wait, let me guess, it involved you insinuating yourself into a situation where only you could be the hero"

Kayla rolled her eyes in frustration, murmuring, "And here I thought I was the one who held grudges the longest" She looked at Lizzie, "Stop acting like a child, Elizabeth"

"As a matter of fact, yeah" Hope replied easily, raising her eyebrows.

Kayla gave Hope a look, speaking through gritted teeth "Stop provoking her, Andrea"

Hope gave her a innocent look.

Josie placed a hand in Kayla's arm, making a face, sympathetically "Trust me, when Lizzie gets like this, is like talking to a wall"

Kayla glanced at Hope, "Well, they're more alike than they realize in that aspect"

Hope and Lizzie glared at Kayla, speaking at the same time "Not true"

They turned to look at each other, narrowing their eyes.

Kayla raised her eyebrows, nodding as if they proved her statement, looking at Josie, smiling sarcastically.

Josie pursed her lips slightly.

Lizzie rolled her eyes, huffing "I swear to God, you will do anything to get attention" 

"Said the narcissist" Hope countered, scoffing. 

Lizzie rolled her eyes, scoffing "Said the other narcissist" 

Jose sighed in frustation "Okay, guys, can we please just stop? Kayla and I are tired of being in the middle" 

"Okay, fine" Hope told them "You know what? Maybe I was jealous. Maybe I wanted what you had." She forced a smile, feeling her throat closing up, swallowing her tears "A simple day with my family. I lost half of my stuff in that fire, including the only painting I made with my dad. Why would I do that to myself?"

Lizzie stared at her, starting to feel bad, looking away. 

Kayla grabbed Hope's hand, giving her an intent of reassuring smile. 

Josie looked down, feeling guilty. However, neither of them knew why. 

~8~

"So we're supposed to help creepy dude with this mummy plague?" Kayla asked, crossing her arms as she followed the girls. 

Hope and Alaric told the twins and their cousin what they were going to do. The organization named TRIAD where the man they met in Kansas named Clarke worked for had the same symbol the Malivore creatures had. So, with Hope's not altered memory, she realized the portal to Malivore was in Georgia, hidden in  plain sight by TRIAD. So, what they were going to was let the mummy lead them to the portal and take the urn before it could return the artifact to Malivore. And the town they were at was in the way to Malivore.  They just needed a way to stop the mummy before they could screw them over.

The four witches were walking down the evacuated and empty street with Alaric leading them with his crossbow. 

"See the good side" Hope told her chuckling, "At least you can tell people you fought a mummy"

Kayla tilted her head, thoughtfully as they looked around for a sign of the mummy "That's a damn good side"

Hope chuckled slightly. 

The twins were walking besides them in silent. 

Lizzie had her hands in her sweater pockets but couldn't help the silence anymore "Some people find it helps to clear their conscience before heading into battle"

Hope glanced at her, slightly shaking her head "Not stopping you"

"Now is not the time" Josie and Kayla told them at the same time, exchanging a look, shaking their heads. 

"It's always time for truth" Lizzie told them, "Last chance, Hope. If you didn't start that fire to keep us from going, then why were you so mean to me after? I'll tell you why, because you were guilty"

"Girls!" Alaric called out from the front "Quiet back there, please"

"Seriously?" Kayla asked in frustation, murmuring under her breath "If I knew this was going to be all the trip I would have stayed at the school"

"I wasn't mean to you" Hope told her, "You were mean to me"

"Because you were telling people about my episode" Lizzie told her.

"Your what?" Hope asked, confused. 

"My episode" Lizzie repeated, looking down. Josie, Hope and Kayla looked at her, hearing the emotions she was trying to hold back "The one I had when our trip got cancelled. You told everyone that I was witch bipolar"

Kayla raised her eyebrows in shock, "Wow"

Hope stopped walking, turning to face Lizzie, offended she thought that way from her "I would never do that"

Kayla stopped walking, turning to face them, frowning, looking betwwen Hope and Lizzie "So who did?"

Josie continued walking, seeming to be panicking, "Guys, seriously" She turned to face them "What is the point of even talking-"

Kayla looked at her, her frown deepening. "Jo?"

Josie avoided her eyes. 

Alaric stopped walking, turning to face them.

"Just drop the act" Lizzie told her, glancing at Josie. Josie looked away, guiltily "I had my first occurrence, my mom took me away to get help, and you decided to use it against me"

Kayla passed a hand through her hair, closing her eyes, looking away, toward Alaric, opening her mouth, freezing, staring over Alaric's shoulder, starting to hit Josie's shoulder to get her attention "Guys-" 

Josie frowned, opening her mouth to protest. Kayla pointed toward behind Alaric. Josie followed her gaze, closing her mouth. 

The mummy was here. 

"I didn't even know" Hope told her, shaking her head, increduluously "I swear, I would never do that"

"Guys!" Kayla exclaimed loudly, turning to face them.

"What?" Hope and Lizzie snapped. 

Kayla gave them a look, turning toward the mummy, tilting her head, smirking slightly "There's a mummy on Main Street"

Josie and Kayla walked toward the girls, not taking their eyes from the mummy. 

Hope, Lizzie and Alaric finally noticed the presence of the monster, turning to face it. 

Alaric aimed his crossbow to the monster. 

The girls behind him got ready. 

"So, what, do we, like, rush it?" Lizzie asked, frowning  "It's seven feet tall"

"We hold our ground until it's close enough to attack" Alaric told them.

"Okay, Dad, get behind us" Josie told him. 

"I can't do that" Alaric told her. 

"Dad" Lizzie scolded. 

"I have to protect you" Alaric told her, glancing at the other three girls "All of you"

Kayla rolled her eyes, "Alaric... We've been through this before, remember? No magic. Right now you're like a walking piece of meat, you're the prey here. Leave the heavy weight to the witches who have magic and can actually defend themselves" 

Hope sighed, "She's right, Dr. Saltzman. No offense, but you and your crossbow are kind of manspread in front of four powerful witches"

Alaric lowered his bow, "Okay, good point you two"

Alaric walked around the girls, standing behind them.

The mummy walked closer slowly with the urn in its hand.

"Okay, what can a mummy do to hurt us?" Josie asked.

"I think we're about to find out" Hope told them. 

The mummy opened its mouth, hundred of bugs coming out of it, flying toward the girls. 

"Hope" Kayla told her. 

The four girls held hands. The three siphoners absorbing magic from Hope (Josie, who was next to Kayla siphoned the magic she took from Hope as it hadn't been the first time she had done that) 

"Bulla" The girls chanted.

A protective force field appeared around them and Alaric, protecting them from the bugs surrounding them without being able to touch them, hitting their barrier. Seeing as the bugs weren't hurting the wtiches, the mummy stopped its attack, making the bugs disappear.

Hope's hands stopped glowing as the four girls stopped their spell.

"Nice teamwork" Alaric told them, proudly.

The mummy growled, spreading its arms, looking at them.

"Should we rush it now?" Kayla asked. 

Hope shook her head "Not yet" 

Josie and Lizzie looked at each other nervously. 

The mummy looked at them angrily, growling.

"Now?" Lizzie asked this time. 

"No" Hope snapped.

"I really, really think that we should rush it" Lizzie told them nervously and slightly afraid. 

"Wait!" Hope told her. The four girls stared at the mummy intently. The mummy stared back "On three. One..." The mummy narrowed its eyes, staring at the girls raising its arm "Two-"

Hope started coughing, chocking, doubling, placing a hand in her mouth. 

Kayla turned to her best friend in worry, "Hope, what's happening?" Hope was still coughing, throwing up worms. She stared at Hope in horror and disgust "Damn"

Lizzie turned to face them, gasping in horror, seeing the worms Hope was coughing out. "Oh, my God!" She began coughing and chocking, doubling, throwing up worms "Oh, my God"

Hope felt to her knees, still coughing out worms and bugs. 

Kayla kneeled by her side, looking between Lizzie and Hope in worry, glaring up at the mummy.

Josie stood in front of the other girls, glaring at the mummy, chanting a spell, pointing at her nose and mouth to protect herself from getting the same attack Hope was hit with "Resistus maledi" She spread her arms, joining them together at her chest "Ignalusa"

A fire ball appeared in Josie's hands, blowing air at it, shooting the fire straight at the mummy who got lit on fire before turning to dust, disappearing, the urn falling to the mummy's ashes. 

Hope stopped coughing, standing up with the help of Kayla.

Kayla scrunched her nose, "You better wash your mouth at least ten times before getting into the car" Hope looked at her incredulously. Kayla nodded, pursing her lips, "I mean it, Mikaelson. I'm not allowing you go with a stench of insects in that six hours trip back home. I'm way up here" She gestured a little space above her head "Of you and Lizzie's arguments to add your insects breath"

Hope rolled her eyes looking away.

Both girls walked closer the Saltzman family. 

Lizzie briefly closed her eyes, trying to remain calm, glancing at the others "Worst spring break ever"

~8~

The supernatural teens were at the van, waiting for Alaric so they could finally leave the town behind. 

Kaleb was outside the van, leaning against it.

Alaric walked closer.

Kaleb pushed himself away from the van "So the mummy ain't actually dead?"

"Well, if I'm right, the mummy's curse is bound by the scarab in its chest" Alaric told him "Once the girls siphon the scarab, the curse will be lifted and the mummy will be dead"

Alaric walked pass Kaleb, toward the driver's side.

Kaleb turned around, looking at him "Okay, and what if you're wrong?"

"He's never wrong" Hope told him, leaning her head on Kayla's shoulder.

Even if the siphoner had told Hope to not get close to her until she washed her mouth, she still let the tribid find comfort in her shoulder. 

"So what now?" Lizzie asked.

"Until we get the urn, we wait" Alaric answered, opening the hood of the car. 

"Yay" Kayla murmured sarcastically, "I love waiting"

"Like you're the most patient person ever" Hope told her sarcastically.

Kayla scoffed sightly as if agreeing. 

"How long do we have to wait?" Lizzie asked a few minutes after they all felt silent. "If I have to bug-hurl again, I swear to God, I will never talk to you again"

Hope briefly turned to face her "Okay, that one wasn't even remotely my fault"

"Yeah, well, the beetle slime in my tonsils says otherwise" Lizzie told her. 

"Why can't we just give the mummy the urn?" Josie asked "Is opening the portal to Malivore really that bad?"

Kayla chuckled slightly, raising her eyebrows "Do any of the monsters that have been trapped in there seem happy and balanced to you?"

"I'm with Josie" Lizzie told her, "Why don't we skip bug vomit round two and just go and get some pancakes or something?"

"Think of it like this" Alaric began, "We'll be setting the mummy free from his prison"

Josie hummed sympathetically, looking toward the quarantined place "Poor mummy"

Suddenly, people started running away from the tents, scared of their minds. 

Kaleb and Alaric walked closer to the girls who climbed out of the car. 

"All right, look, we can keep having empathy hour or we can do what we came here to do" Kaleb told them.

"Here we go" Alaric told them, seeing the mummy walking out of the tent, looking as alive as before. 

The girls walked closer to the mummy, stopping a few meters away from it.

The mummy was angry, growling at everyone in sight. 

Agent Clarke walked closer, worried and freaking out, "What the hell is happening?"

"I don't know" Alaric answered, feigning confusion "He should be dead"

"Well, clearly he isn't" Clarke pointed out. 

"Yeah, I can see that" Alaric replied. 

The mummy was trashing the place apart, throwing boxes and objects, looking for something. 

"He's looking for the urn" Lizzie told them. 

"What do we do?" Clarke asked.

"I don't know, give him the urn" Alaric told him. 

Clarke pulled out his walkie talkie. "Hey, can someone give this thing the urn?"

The girls listened static come from the walkie talkie before a man answered in panic "Can't. The urn's gone"

Clarke looked alarmed, "Wh-Who's been in there?" 

"Only our guys" The man answered.

Clarke looked at Alaric, desperately "Do something"

Alaric stayed silent for a moment, looking toward Kaleb "Kaleb?"

Kaleb nodded, "Yep"

Kaleb vamp sped toward the mummy, looking up at it. The mummy turned to him, growling angrily. Kaleb looked at the scarab, shrugging slightly, looking up at the mummy "Nice bling. Don't mind if I do" Kaleb ripped the scarab from the mummy's chest, speeding away from the mummy, walking closer to the girls, throwing the scarab to Lizzie "Lizzie"

Lizzie caught it. "Got it"

Lizzie, Josie and Kayla put their hands on the scarab starting to siphon the magic from it. 

The mummy growled angrily, looking at them, starting to walk to them.

Hope noticed, "Oh, crap" She briefly glanced at the siphoners, not taking her eyes from the mummy "Hurry" The mummy took long strides toward the girls once it noticed what they were doing "Like, hurry hurry"

The cousins closed their eyes as they focused on getting the scarab magic free, their hands glowing red. 

The mummy opened its mouth, shooting more bugs toward them. 

Hope threw her hands up inmediately and in panic, shouting a spell to protect them from the insects, closing her eyes tightly.

The buzzing suddenly stopped. 

Everyone stood straight, opening their eyes. 

The siphoners looked down at the scarab when they felt no longer the magic inside it, seeing the object was no longer glowing. They looked at each other in relief, looking up toward the mummy. 

The mummy was frozen in place, it not longer looked alive, getting mummified. 

Alaric walked closer, eyeing the mummy cautiously "The curse is lifted. He's gone" The girls and Kaleb looked at each other in relief. Alaric looked toward Clarke. Clarke looked at them warily and cautiously "Well, Agent Clarke, we do any more work for you guys, you're gonna have to put us on the payroll. Guess we'll be, uh, on our way out of here. Whew" The supernatural teens and Alaric started to walk to the van "Good night?"

Clarke nodded at them, watching them go.

~8~

Alaric drove the van away from the town, stopping at the side of the road, looking at Kaleb "So where is she?"

"You doubting my skills?" Kaleb asked. Alaric tilted his head, not answering. Kaleb looked away, pointing ahead, looking to the window, nodding "There" The woman from the quarantine who took their information walked closer, handing Kaleb the urn "Thank you. Oh, and you may want to lay low for a little bit, sweetie"

The woman stared at him blankly for a moment, walking away. 

Kaleb smiled, looking at Alaric, showing him the urn, smugly "You're welcome"

Alaric smirked, shaking his head, looking at the others "All right, let's go home"

"All right" Kaleb agreed. 

Lights were turned on from behind them. 

Alaric looked through the rearview mirror, smile fading away, starting to worry "Wait a second"

The girls looked behind them, seeing Agent Clarke walking out of the car. The back door opened and out of the car Dorian and Emma walked out. 

Hope's breath hitched in her throat in worry "They have Dorian and Emma"

Alaric breathed out in realization, worried about his friends. The teens looked at him, as if for guidance on what to do. Alaric pursed his lips in defeat, looking to Kaleb. Kaleb looked down at the urn, giving it to him, looking defeated as well. 

Alaric took a deep breath, "All right, sit tight" He opened the door, walking out of the car to meet Clarke and exchange the urn for his friends. 

The teens watched the intense exchange through the windows. Hope's fingers itched, ready to act if something went wrong. Kayla placed a hand atop her hand and Hope let her, both girls lacing their fingers, squeezing tightly, comforting each other silently. 

They could only relax when Dorian and Emma were back safely and Clarke walked away, without hurting them, holding the urn.

Hope and Kayla turned their bodies away from the window, resting their heads on the seat, looking at each other in defeat.

They lost the urn and Malivore was probably just now one key to be opened. 

~8~

The ride back, leaving the town was silent, all of them processing their lost but glad their friends were safe. 

Kayla had her head resting on Hope's shoulder, falling asleep. Hope had an arm wrapped around her best friend who had been there for her and didn't know what she'd do without Kayla in her life. And she knew Kayla thought the same. They were similiar in many ways and so diferent at the same time. Hope knew that was what made them close. 

~8~

Once back at the school, on their way to their rooms, Hope looked at a sleepy looking Kayla and smiled slightly, "Sweet dreams, Kay Parker"

Kayla glared at her, though it didn't look as menacing as usual with her sleepy eyes "I hate you and I hate how Kay Parker sounds like"

"It is pretty" Hope sing sang, chuckling. 

Kayla dropped her shoulders, stopping at her room, "Yeah" Hope looked at her surprised she even admitted that. Kayla opened the door of her room, glancing at Hope, "Just, accepting that name means I accept a part of me I'm not ready to acknowledge. Like my dad. And his legacy"

"You can make your own legacy" Hope told her quietly. "You can always reject what your parents left you to follow through"

Kayla chuckled lightly "I guess that's why I took on the Rivers' name then, to separate myself from my dad without realizing and why you took on the name Marshall when you first got here. People treat you differently when they don't know who you truly are"

Hope smiled tightly, "How did you know that?"

"Your old boyfriend isn't the only one who liked to sneak inside Dr. Saltzman's office" Kayla replied. 

"My old boy-" Hope trailed off, scoffing "I'm not gonna ask how you know about Roman"

Kayla smirked, "Difference between me and him, I did that out of boredom and not because I have authority issues like blondie does"

Hope shook her head slightly "Get some sleep, Kay" 

Kayla nodded tiredly, "So do you" Hope turned around, walking away "That's not the way to your room, though"

Hope looked at her over her shoulder, "I need to know why Josie drove a wedge between me and Lizzie"

Kayla nodded, slightly shocked, "Wow. Didn't know Miss sunshine was capable of such thing"

Hope sighed, "Me neither, which is why I have to know"

"I wanna know the details" Kayla told her. Hope nodded slightly, smiling in amusement, "Night, Hope"

"Night, Kay" Hope told her. 

Both girls turned away. One to sleep and the other to understand why Josie had done something like that to her and Lizzie. 

It was time for Hope to undestand.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.8K 1K 20
Sarah Nightshade, aka Sadie, was not your average girl. She's a blonde 17-year-old with anger problems, but...she's also a hybrid. A mix between were...
75.1K 1.9K 10
Ezekiel 'Zeke' Saltzman is the youngest fraternal triplet from the Gemini coven bloodline. Like his sisters, he is a siphoner, witch, born with a def...
20.9K 330 13
a timeline where Hope never returned to the Salvatore Boarding School after the devastating losses of not only her not so immortal parents, Klaus Mik...
37.6K 1.2K 21
The next story following "A Secret To Be Kept". It's been a little over a year since Hope proposed to Josie and she said yes. Josie has finally grad...