Ever After

By kelly_1231

Having a famous rockstar as your childhood best friend isn't all that great. Carson should know since hers ju... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
The Lyrics
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven (Part One)
Chapter Forty-Seven (Part Two)
Epilogue

Chapter Eighteen

48.3K 1.3K 234
By kelly_1231

[A/N]: Okay...

So I know through out most of my chapters lately, my characters have constantly made a reference to Carson's "Debut". Now, I know not all my readers are Filipino so I don't know if you guys are confused about that topic or not. If you are, I've posted a video on the right of a modern Grand Cotillion Dance which Carson will be doing as well for her Debut.

And lol, since i suck at describing dance moves just imagine that the video on the right is EXACTLY what Carson and her friends are doing in this chapter, alright?

So... watch that video first and after that, you may resume reading this chapter :)

And oh!

Have any of you guys been missing Ethan? Did you guys forget about him? o.O

Well, DON'T!

Even though, Ethan isn't showing up a lot in the chapters lately, I can promise you right now that won't  be the situation any longer.

And besides, he appears in this chapter, so yeah!

ENJOY!

-kelly_1231

Chapter Eighteen

Sunday, March 25th.

"You're stepping on my toe again, Carson!" Simon shouted.

          "It was because you were going in the wrong direction!"

          Simon looked insulted as he let go of my hands and threw his arms up in the air in defeat. He then turned towards his mom to turn off the music playing from his phone. "I'm the guy, okay?" Simon turned around slowly, his eyes wide as if he were speaking to a child. "Let me lead the way--"

          "But--"

          "I'm sorry, what was that?" Simon said putting his hand up to his ear. "Are you questioning your choreographer? Um, who is the one took years of dance lessons?"

          I stared at my friend before rolling my eyes. "You."

          "And who has the lack of experience?"

          "Me..."

          Simon grinned as he nodded. "Alright then," he said. "Let's take it from the top. The others should be coming soon."

          It was Sunday which meant that it was the first day of choreography for my Grand Cotillion for my Debut. Simon had suggested that me and Vincent come an hour before everybody else did so he could  show us some of the dance moves but of course, Vincent couldn't come at that exact time. However, he did promised that he would arrive at the same time as everybody else.

          Now, Simon was forced to dance with me which was probably exasperating for him since i was a terrible dancer.

          For the Grand Cotillion, Simon had explained that we would be doing a "simple" waltz. Though, the waltz was anything but "simple" for me. There were many intricate hand movements and because I was the Debutante and the attention would be all on me, there were several things Vincent and I had to do differently than my entourage. 

          And the fact that I had to wear heels....

          Somebody just kill me already, I thought to myself.

          Simon turned to his mom and nodded. "Press play," he said.

          Mrs. Garcia squinted her eyes at her son's phone that was on the radio then tapped the screen gently. 

          One Thing by One Direction started playing.

          That wasn't the song we were dancing too earlier...

          I was the first one to burst into laughter but Simon didn't even blush. He just shrugged. "I like One Direction," he said. "So what?"

          When I stopped laughing, I patted Simon's head. "Kudos to you for being the first guy to admit that."

          Simon rolled his eyes with a grin as he turned around and started looking for the song we were dancing to earlier. As he did, Mrs. Gracia got up from the bench and walked towards me. "I have to go now, Carson," she said she pulled me into a tight hug. "Just remember you have two hours to stay here because the kids who are getting Confirmed this year need the space, alright? Have a good time."

          I smiled. "Thank you, Marie," I said. "You know? For getting the basement for us?"

          Marie just nodded, her brown eyes full of warmth. "Any time," she replied. And with that,  she turned around and walked through the doors.

          As I watched her go up the stairs, I saw a familiar redhead coming down. "Hi, Mrs. Garcia!" Gracie chirped. "Oh, you're leaving? Oh, then, bye Mrs. Garcia!"

          Simon's head immediately shot up and I saw his pupils dilate as Gracie walked into the room.

          God, I thought. He should really ask her out already.

          As I walked towards my best friend, I realized that a familiar person was walking behind her shyly. My eyes widened in surprise as I stopped walking. "Ethan?" I asked. 

          Ethan scratched his head bashfully. "Hey, Carson," he said.

          My lips started to form into a smile as I looked at Ethan. How long has it been since I've last saw him? A few weeks, perhaps? I couldn't be too sure but one thing was for certain that there was something.... different about him. Ethan's usual pale skin complexion looked more ghostly tonight and there were eye-bags beneath his blue eyes making him appear tired and weak. His thin lips were chapped and every other second, he coughed. 

          Gracie grinned. "I just brought Ethan along for you just in case Vincent doesn't make it," she said. "And besides, after we're done here me and Ethan have to go to some family reunion tonight."

          Ethan gave me a small smile. "Hope you don't mind." He coughed again.

          I laughed. "Not at all!" I chirped. "Besides, I'm pretty sure my partner won't come for the first practise. He's not a very committed person." I tilted my head to the side. "Did you catch the flu or something, Ethan? You look really sick--"

          "I guess you could say that.." Ethan shrugged. "But I still can dance."

          Simon got up from his seat and walked towards us. He then patted Ethan's back. "So you have any dancing experience, man?" He asked.

          "Um, a little..."

          Gracie rolled her eyes. "Just like you Simon he took ballroom dances," she stated. 

          Simon's eyes widened in surprise. "Really now?" He asked.

          Ethan nodded slowly.

          "Well, then," Simon looking at me. "If you do so happen to be Carson's partner for tonight, just know that she is the worst dancer of life. She can't even do the waltz--"

          "Hey!" I retorted. "You were going in the wrong direction--"

          "Yeah, blame it on the guy..." Simon rolled his eyes. "Anyways--" He looked at his watch. "-- we still have fifteen minutes or so before everybody else comes, so we might as well just teach Ethan and Carson the dance." He turned his attention to Gracie and held out his hand. "Let's show these two how it's done, shall we?"

          I grimaced as Gracie took Simon's hand. "Did you guys practise the dance before today?" I asked.

          "Yep," Simon replied. "And I'm glad she's my partner and not you--"

          "You're really rude. " I rolled my eyes as I looked at Ethan and gestured towards the bench. "Let's go sit." Ethan nodded. We then started to make our way towards the bench and once we were both seated, I looked over to Gracie and Simon who looked ready to go.

          Simon made eye contact with me and nodded.

          I pressed play on his phone.

          The second the melody of the song, "So Close" by Jon McLaughlin, started playing, Simon and Gracie immediately started swaying to the tempo of the music. Ethan and I watched in silence for the first half of the song, not paying attention to the other. Ethan was probably just watching very tentatively so he could remember each of the moves because he constantly tapped his foot against the wooden floor while murmuring the counts of the beats. Me, on the other hand, I was just watching in awe how Simon and Gracie glided across the floor with ease. Half way through the song, that's when Ethan and i started up a conversation...

          "So you're Filipino?" Ethan asked looking at me with his big blue eyes through his glasses.

          I smiled. "Yep," I replied proudly. "And I'm also half Irish."

          "Ever seen a leprechaun before?" Ethan jokingly asked.

          I chuckled. I then said, with an Irish accent of course, "Can't say I have, mate."

          Ethan laughed out loud. "So explain to me this whole Debut thing," he said. "Is it suppose to be like a Spanish quince or something?"

          I nodded. "Their both about the transition into womanhood," I explained. "But a Debut is slightly different..."

          "How so?" Ethan looked at me curiously.

          "Well, for one thing," I started. "We have it when we're eighteen, not at fifteen. Second, we don't do that changing of the shoes thing. Third, we have this 18 Roses dance where the Debutante dances with eighteen important men in her life, including her father. And lastly, we have something called the 18 Candles where eighteen important woman of the Debutante says something nice about her and stuff. " I nodded. "In Simon's word, a Debut is a more of a pain in the ass." I chuckled.

          Ethan smiled. "You don't look too thrilled to be having one," he observed. 

          "Oh, I am," I assured him. "But I'm a really terrible dancer and I'm just afraid I'll make a fool of myself on the dance-floor. And it doesn't help that my partner isn't that great of a dancer either."

          "Gracie told me that your partner is... Vincent Gray." Ethan paused. "Isn't that the lead singer of Ever After or something? You know him?"

           I nodded. "I grew up with him," I replied. "And yeah, he wasn't my first choice to be my partner but my mom insisted that he should be." I shrugged as I looked at Ethan. "If he doesn't come tonight, then you'll be stuck with me." I grinned. "Just to warn you, I'll be constantly stepping on your feet."

          "It's alright."

          "You sure?"

          "Positive."

          Once the song was finished, Ethan and I looked at Gracie and Simon and clapped.

          Just as I was about to give them a compliment, people started walking down the stairs and into the room. My eyes widened as all my friends came pouring in one-by-one. I immediately got up from my seat and gave each of them a hug. As I did, i mentally counted how many guys and how many girls there were in my head. By the time i was done counting, there were officially eight guys and eight girls for my entourage, including Gracie and Simon. As for the ninth couple, which was suppose to be Vincent and I, well, my partner wasn't even here yet.

          I looked down onto my watch and rolled my eyes.

          If there was one thing I learned about Vincent through out the entire years I've grown up with him was that if he didn't show up on time for anything, there was a good chance he wouldn't  bother coming.

          Typical Vincent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I probably should have been pissed off about the fact that Vincent didn't even show up for the first practice but as the afternoon went on, I slowly started to forget about him. Mainly because of the fact that all my friends were making me die of laughter. None of us knew how to dance except for Simon and Ethan so it was a complete disaster when we started doing the routine for the first time after Simon and Gracie showed everybody the choreography. Almost immediately, everybody forgot where they were suppose to go, the guys forgot when to spin the girl, and  basically everybody bumped into each other like race cars.

          It was bad.

          But at the same, it was hilarious.

          "Okay," Simon said loudly as he stepped in the centre of the room. "Maybe we should take this slowly..."

          "You think?" Everybody shouted back at him.

          Simon rolled his eyes as he gestured for two of my friends, Nick and Marissa, to come to the centre of the room. He then told them to face each other and they did as they were told. "Okay," Simon started as he walked around them. "Now, hold each other as if you were to slow dance right this second." 

          Marissa put her left hand on Nick's shoulder and with their right hands, they entwined their fingers together. Nick the put his hand on her waist.

          Simon snorted. "You can't even get the basic position, right," he muttered under his breathe.

          Nick looked insulted. "Bro!" He said loudly. "What are we doing wrong?"

          "You're doing something wrong," Simon said as he crossed his arms. 

          "What are you--"

          "Ethan?" Simon fixed his attention on us. "Come here with Carson and show Nick how you're suppose to properly hold a girl."

          Ethan took my hand and we then started to make our way beside Marissa and Nick. As we did, Marissa winked at me and mouthed, "He's cute".

          I mouthed back, "I know."

          Ethan and i then stood in front of each other, right hands still entwined together. We then held them up as I put my left hand on Ethan's shoulder and he put his hand on my back.

          Nick made a face. "What's the difference?"

          Marissa flipped her dark hair away from her almond-shaped eyes as she let out a huff. "You're not holding me right, you pervert," she said sarcastically as she forced his hand on her waist to go slightly more up. 

          Nick grimaced. "What makes the difference?" He looked at Simon.

          "There is a big difference," Simon stated. "Where your hand is right now, you'll be able to lead the girl more properly. For example, if you want to move backwards, you just gently push her towards you and she'll understand--"

          "Still don't see the difference," Nick interjected.

          Simon rolled his eyes. "Just do as I tell you." He paused as he looked at the time on his watch. "Well, we still have half-an-hour before we have to leave. How about we take five?" He looked at everybody with raised eyebrows.

          Nick snorted. "I say we take ten."

          Everybody joined in with agreement.

          "Fine," Simon said with a sigh. But just as everybody started to walk towards the table where Mrs. Gracia left some water bottles and cookies, Simon stopped me and Ethan from walking any further. "Where do you guys think you're going?"

          I stared at my friend. "To get a cookie--"

          "Nope!" Simon said. "You guys are still going to practise."

          "But I want a cookie--"

          "You can survive."

          "I'll die."

          Ethan laughed as he took my hand and put his hand behind my back. "Come on," he insisted as he looked down onto with gleaming blue eyes. "It's your Debut, right? You have to perfect your steps."

          i sighed but before i could say anything in response, the song started playing again and on cue, Ethan spun me around flawlessly. He then lead me to centre of the room was and did every move perfectly. Even though, I did step on his toes a few times Ethan didn't say anything; we just continued dancing. All my friends  were watching us tentatively which made me nervous but I just looked at Ethan who smiled down onto me and I sort of forgot everybody's watchfulness.  

          When the song was half-way through, we stopped dancing because Simon didn't teach us the other half of the choregraphy. 

          Simon nodded in approval. "Good," he commented. "But Carson--" He looked at my seriously. "-- stop stepping on the guy's feet."

          I laughed as I looked at Ethan. "Sorry," I told him. "But i did warn you, right?"

          Ethan blushed. "It's alright," he insisted. 

          I smiled as I nudged him on the arm with my elbow. "Come on, let's get a cookie."

          During the next half hour, Simon was telling us his plans for the other half of the choreography.  Part of the plan included all the nine guys forming a circle while they held hands (which received dirty looks from many of my guy friends) and the nine girls sitting in between two of the guys' arms as they lift us up and walk in a circular motions.

          "Why?" I retorted. "All of the guys are just going to drop us onto the floor--"

          One of my other Filipino friends, Karissa, agreed. "Bro," she said to Simon. "It's called the Grand Cotillion not the Grand Hot Mess."

          Everybody burst into laughter.

          Simon heaved out a heavy sigh. "We're still doing it," he insisted. "We just have to take that part of the dance slowly because, yes, it can be dangerous--" He looked at the clock. "-- but for now, it's time to go."

          As we all got up from my seats, I thanked each of my friends for coming. Especially Ethan.

          "Hey," I said before he walked up the stairs. "Could you come to the second practise next week?"

          Ethan smiled warmly at me. "What about Vincent?" He asked with a cough.

          I shrugged. "I don't really want him as my partner anymore..."

          "You sure?" Ethan raised his eyebrows at me.

          "Yeah," I said. "But I mean, if you're busy...."

          "No, no," Ethan insisted. "If it's around the same time as today I can make it."

          I grinned. "It will be."

          "Then don't worry," Ethan said with a smile. "I'll come." And with that, I pulled him into a hug and thanked Gracie and him for coming.

          Simon and I stayed behind to set the room back into it's original structure by putting back all the tables and chairs where they belonged. Once we were done, we took the all the left-over treats up the stairs and into his car. Before we headed out though, we saw the priest walking around and we thanked him for letting us use the basement. Turns out, he was Filipino just like Simon had said.

          Once we were done loading up Simon's beat-up car, a familiar black Honda started to pull up in the parking lot of the church.

          I rolled my eyes.

          Vincent.

          "Hey," I said to Simon. "I'll be back, alright? I just need to talk to Vincent."

          Simon nodded. "Hurry up, though."

          I nodded. I then started to make my way towards the black Honda that was parked a few feet away from Simon's car. Just as i stopped running, Vincent stepped out of his vehicle wearing his usual black leather jacket. When Vincent saw me, he frowned. "Am I late?" He asked.

          I started walking slowly towards him with my arms crossed. "Yeah," I replied. "Practise ended a long time ago."

          Vincent pursed his lips. "Are you mad?" He asked.

          A heavy sigh escaped my lips. "No, not really," I replied. "I did expect this to happen--"

          "It won't happen again, I promise--"

          "Are you even committed to this?" I asked. 

          Vincent's eyes widened. "Of course I am, Anna--"

          "Well you better be because I can always get someone else to take your place," I interjected. 

          Vincent walked closer to me and looked down onto me with his hazel eyes. "I'm sorry," he said genuinely. "I really am."

          I nodded. "It's alright," I responded. "But can ask you something?"

          "Shoot."

          "Why didn't you come today?" i raised my eyebrows at Vincent.

          "Long story," Vincent replied with a wink. "I'll just tell you tomorrow."

          I nodded. "Anyways," I said turning around slightly. "I have to go."

          "I'll pick you for school again, right?" Vincent looked at me curiously.

          I laughed. "Yeah," I replied. "After all, you are my personal driver now..."

          "In your dreams," Vincent said with a chuckle. "Bye, Anna."

          I nodded. And ust as I turned around to start to making my towards Simon's beat up car, I heard Vincent open his door but I didn't hear it close. After a few seconds of walking, I heard Vincent shout out my name..

          "Anna!"

          I turned around. "Yeah?"

          Vincent let out a heavy sigh as he scratched his head. "Jeremy and Matt told me how you came to that party we threw on Saturday," he shouted slowly.

          I shrugged. "What about that?" I shouted back.

          "I-I don't know if this happened but..." Vincent looked confused. "... I remember you kissing me..."

          My eyes widened in surprised.

          "Did that happened?" Vincent asked. "I can't remember because i was high--"

          I let out a loud laugh as I rolled my eyes. I then smirked. "Vincent," I shouted. "I didn't kiss you... you kissed me."

          Vincent looked stunned but before he could say anything else, I turned around and stepped inside Simon's car.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 67 25
He took a step closer, the smirk not leaving his face as he could sense my irritation. "I've been looking forward to this for far too long," he laug...
14.9K 1.1K 47
Colliding with a famous rock band vocalist was an accident, but dating him was a choice. Samantha Morris felt at a crossroads after graduating from...
2.2K 251 37
Music is a part of life, a part of who we are. You can go anywhere in the world and music will follow you. You can't escape it. Whenever you hear a s...
8.6K 437 36
*FEATURED on Wattpad's official MUSIC profile, in the "Exquisite Cellos (Romance)" reading list!* Emmaline scores the hottest tickets in NYC: a VIP b...