The Devils Backbone

By Skipology

Fanfiction based on the History Channels Hatfields and McCoys. [Book is a rough draft - needs heavy editing] ... More

CAST: The Hatfield Clan
CAST: The McCoy Clan
SOUNDTRACK
Across the River
Looming Airs
Timber
Blacker Berries
Cotton's Soup
Rain Water
Ominous
Hogswagglers Jury
Chores to Do
Election Day
Rose on the Doorstep
Too Far Gone
Counting Seconds
The Shack
Up to the Timber
Untitled Blooms
Pikeville
Close
Was There Peace in the Valley
Chill Down the Spine
Hammer and Nails
As Blood Sets the Table
Unease
In the Dark
Like Rain in the Sky
One Crossed the River
Lambs Last Mercy
Blood Toucheth Blood
Ever On
Trouble with Peace
Autumn Rain
Fire Starters
Laughter in the Dark
Irregular
A Call to the Wilds
Schemes
Comes A Knocking
Angels
Changing Winds
The Begining
Smoke Before The Blaze
Regrouping
How Deep the Water Runs
A Cabin in the Hills
High Alert
Heat the Frying Pan
Day in the Life
A Wild Ride
No Bells A Ringin'
For Want of a Nail
Killing Season
The Things You Sew
Start of a Charge
New Faces
The First Night
Battlezones
The Pine Box
When All Goes Right
Now's About Time
A Snake in the Roses
Quiet Thunder
The Color of Blood
Plans
Where the Apricots Grow
The Gut You Trust
Road to New York
At Ease
Adder in the Garden
Fibs and Folly
The Dream Deferred
The Get Away
The Way Back
The Nerve
Mother May I
Daddy Dearest
Quiet Gatherings
Good Bad Spine
Sundance
Rock Bottom
Cold Dark Morning
Lost and Found
From The Pit
Winter's Sigh
A Wing to Mend
Two Came Knocking
Hard Luck, Shared Blood
For the Better?
A Merry Secret
An Unclever Ruse

Something New

907 67 7
By Skipology

In the chill of the early morning air, Cap and Chyna stood side by side looking up at an towering iron gate. They had come up a lonely road with neatly kept green fields, and willow trees and now felt themselves dumbfounded at that loomed over them.

"I..I wanna go back." Chyna murmured, taking a step behind Cap she shivered. She'd  never seen a home so large in all her life. It hadn't  been the traditional  mansion she had pictured.

No, instead she found herself gazing up at what she could only assume was a castle. Or as close to one as she could imagine. A massive home built of brick and stone. Covered in moss and vines that seemed perfectly placed, through the gates were various fruit trees and roses.

Walking about calmly were women of both white and black skin tending the roses at the bottom of a grand staircase that lead to the front door. Some children tossed seeds to a strange brightly colored bird that walked like a chicken but looked like something out of a fairytale.

Cap tilted his neck back so that he might look at the highest tower of the home, his mouth ajar.

Jon hopped out of the wagon and Cotton followed suit. Cotton ran to the gate with shimmering eyes and a excited grin. "Wow! Do you see that Chyna! Do you see it!" He called.

Chyna snapped out of her fearful trance  and scurried over to Cotton. She gently pulled his arm tugging him away from the gates. "Yes I sees it jus' fine. I think we mighta made a mighty  mistake." She said with a frown.

Cap glanced over to Jon who held an amused smile. "I'm  not sure folk like us belong here..." he said to him.

Jon gave a gentle be it slightly coy smile as he walked to the gate and pushed it open. "This is a place for any sort, Cap. Give it a chance, if it feels wrong no one will make you stay." Jon offered.

Cap looked back at Chyna and then to Cotton "I wanna see, Cap." Cotton said flashing the saddest eyes he could muster.

"Its fine, remember just cause something is different...it doesn't  mean it's scary." Cap said to Chyna  his words soft as he touched her cheek.

She leaned her face it the warmth of his hand and nodded. "Ok." She whispered. Cap took hand and then Cotton's before following Jon through the gate.

Two men whom looked to be in their late 30s exited after them and hopped onto the driver's bench of the wagon.

"Be care with the black horse, she's  not as tamed as she seems." Jon called out, one of the men tipped is bowler hat "no worries Jon!" He called.

"Follow me, it's just through the front garden." Jon said leading the way once more. "What is?" Cap asked his eyes wandering  about trying their best to take everything  in.

"Don't  look so scared my dear girl." A woman said with a kind smile, she had skin nearly as dark as Chyna's and kind brown eyes. Across her face was a welcoming smile. "You must be the family Benny told us to expect." She said stepping away from the roses.

"Benny isn't here yet, when you can break away from the men I'd  love to show you around. You like flowers? We got a garden to rival any others." The woman went on.

Chyna stop hidding behind Cap her instinct  to snatched her hand from his vanished at the woman's disarming  smile. "Ma'am I -"

"Please, honey, you can call me Ronda. It might look like it and if you belive Jon here's proper way of talking - sound like it but we are not to stuffy around here." Ronda said in a light chuckle.

"Nice to meet you Ronda, I'm  Cap and that there's  Cotton." Cap said the lack of tension told him he could speak plainly.

Cotton smiled and gave an enthusiastic  wave. "Hi!" He called loudly causing Ronda to chuckled again. "I'm  Chyna Ma' a- I...Um Ronda. Sorry, I'm  not used to..." Chyna stammered.

"Talking so freely?" Ronda asked. Chyna gave a sheepish smile "Least ways to folk other than Cap, Cotton and a small few back home." Chyna said.

"Sounds like you had more folk to talk freely with than most people like you and I have had." Ronda said trying to lift the mood back up.

"But, let me stop running my mouth and let Jon show you to your rooms. You've  all come a long way and must be tired." Ronda added backing away and walking off up a pathway leading to a small gazeb. Chyna watched as she met up with a group of people and started to chat

Cap strengthened  his grip on Chyna's hand and beamed. The group  was integrated. Chyna giggled "I  know, don't  look so weird about it or we'll  stand out. "But there's even-" he started in a whisper "shhhh!" Chyna warned.

"Wooooow, they got everybody here, colored of all colors Chyna, and induns and Mexicans and...." Cotton looked thrilled as he happily went on while Cap and Chyna watched him mortified.

Chyna rushed over to him to hush  Cotton "shh! Cot that ain't  proper..."Chyna warned.  Cotton looked down at her tilting his head a bit in confusion.  "But miss Ronda said we a it gotta be propper." Cotton said.

Cap laughed "Cotton Top I'm not so sure that exactly what she meant when she told us that. Marveling at everybody's  color is rude." He said.

Cotton flashed sad eyes "I ain't meant to be rude Cap, Honest. I'm  sorry." He said. Chyna smiled "its ok, you didn't know any better."

Jon stood in the room a signed to Cotton who was eying the large blush bed. "I know, I know exactly what you is thinkin'" called a young vibrant voice.

From behind Jon came a young man, no older than 16 with short but thickly packed tight curls, a glossy head of raven hair and eyes that held the color and sweetness of molasses.

"What do you mean?" Cotton said for a moment a bit of panic flashed on his face as if he'd  been found out.

The boy chuckled, walked up to Cotton and reached to rest a palm on his shoulder. "You my very fair friend - wanna jump on that bed over there. No ones ever too old." Said the boy.

Cotton quickly  shook his head "no, my Pa and Aunt Levicy always tol me no jumpin on the bed." He said.

The boy looked to the left in a dramatic sneaky fashion and then to the left. "Well I don't  see them here do you?" He asked Cotton.

Cotton peeked around "but-but Cap and Chyna...." he murmured.

Jon cleared his throat "in their quaters," Jon said turning to take his leave, he stopped in the door way "and I won't tell if you don't. " he added slipping out of the room and closing the door behind him.

The boy and Cotton glanced at each other before running to the bed. Climbing up they started to jump around laughing.

"These are good for jumping!" Cotton cheered. "As if I was lying? Huck always knows his stuff - and that's me, I'm  Huck." The boy said, "folk call me Cotton Top." Cotton said with a grin as the two continued to play.

"This room....its huge..." Chyna muttered  as she walked in a small circle in the rooms center taking everything in as best she could.

"And fancy..." She added.

Cap set his satchel  down on the bed. "Its nice in a way though. You deserve fancy." He said unpacking a bit.

Chyna eyed him carefully. "I miss home. Our cabin it's cozy...its keeps us all close." She said quietly. She flapped her arms in frustration "hell, I...I don't  even know jus' where Cotton even is!" She said in a huff.

Cap smiled a bit to himself, leaving his items scattered on the bed he went to her. His arms found their way around her as he held Chyna close.

With a chuckle he nuzzled the side of her head. "Cotton is just fine. Home is home - sure. But here, here is safe. Here there ain't no McCoy's or bounty hunters trying to get us-" Cap reasoned only to have Chyna whirl around to face him "do we know that do we? But them bounty hunters? They tracked us out on the road, a followin' cross states." She said quickly.

"I don't  think anyone would look way out here. Besides that ain't all, this place  is safe for you too. Nobody's  gonna bother you just cause your darker than them and have different  hair and face shapes. An' nobody is gonna say nothin if they see us together neither." Cap reasoned.

"This place is safe, and Cotton is fine." He said again.

Chyna leaned into his arms and hide her face in his shoulder. "This place is strange Cap." She muffled. "Yeah....we're  probably pretty strange to them too." He chuckled.

"Come on, let's go look around a bit. Ronda seemed excited to show you around." Cap added letting her lead the way out of the room.

The day pasted a sloe and comfortable  speed. It was the first time in a long time Chyna could feel and enjoy how the season was changing. She couldn't  help but stare at the bright orange and yellow leaves that remained on the shedding trees. They seemed brighter somehow.

"Its a fine thing you and yours are doing for Benny." Ronda said, taking a sip from a steaming cup of coffee. Chyna found herself sitting under a gazebo  in a large garden, many of the women congregated  here it would seem as they chatted and relax in the many seating areas surrounded by flows, statues and herbs of all kinds.

"I wouldn't say that. More like him and alla you are going a fine thing for us." Chyna said looking down into her coffee.

"Its a mess back home, it feels Strange being here were things is calm." She added.

"I've read the papers, sounds aweful down there." Ronda said quietly.

"You read?" Chyna asked, the question flew out faster than Chyna could notice she'd  even asked. Ronda chuckled "Why of course." She said.

Chyna blushed  and fiddled with her hands. "I can't,  Cap can. Hell, he's  always readin' - reads  his books to me sometimes, other times I jus' watch him read or look at the letters on the page. I memorized how some of them look so I know what they mean. But..." Chyna trailed off.

"I wish I could read and write, that way I could read to him too sometimes or Cotton an' I could write my sister while she's off seein' to our Pa." Chyna droned on.

Ronda smiled slowly "you know, we have a class on sundays for the children. Right here in the gardens were we teach them their words a few of our adult residents show up. Many is too proud to come learn with the kids." Ronda said.

"I aint. That's for sure." Chyna said with a grin. "Wonderful I'll  go with you if it'll  feel less strange. " Ronda offered.

Chyna watched her carefully "you're  a god person ain't you? You remind me of a good friend back home." Chyna said with a smile.

Meanwhile Cap  followed Jon about the estate he was lead to a fir sized library  and his eyes lit up. "Well I'll  be damn if this isn't the most books I've ever seen." Cap said.

Jon nodded "Benny's mother loved to read, his father built it for her. Fiction books, non-fiction, biographies, text books, dictionaries,  children's books, books of music and poetry and even law." Jon went on.

Cap turned to Jon who smiled "Benny's father is a law man. I'd take this as a chance to further your intrest in the subject." Jon hinted before turning to leave Cap to the books.

The smell of dust, paper and leather covers was a sweet and forgiven one. Cap found himself wandering up and down the shelves, running his hand along a row of books. Out tumbled a thick book with a sturdy deep evergreen color and golden embellishments.

It landed on the ground with a loud thud, it's pages sprawled open.  His eyes scanned the page "tie the naval string three fingers' breadth form the belly of the child..." he read.

"As soon as the infant is seperated from the mother it is proper to ascertain, by the hand placed upon her belly, that there is not a twin child; if there be, the remaining bulk will indicate it in a way that can scarcely be mistaken." Cap quickly closed the book, he felt sick yet at the same time he could feel heat slowly creep into his ears.

"What on earth kinda book-" he muttered.

Shutting it's pages closed Cap looked at its side were the pages were bound.

"Gunn's New Domestic Physician."

Cap carefully slid the book back in its place, "boy it must not be no fun bein' a doctor." He whistled before continuing on his way.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 191 83
Get ready to dive into the captivating story of teenage couples as they navigate the treacherous waters of high school and strive to make their relat...
740 30 7
Was requested long ago which I forgot about, sorry...... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Mimi is the adopted second cousin of Lafayette; she's o...
80.9K 4.6K 33
โš ๏ธAlthough not necessary, I suggest you read Torn first since this story references characters from that story and may contain some spoilers. โš ๏ธ Alic...
2.3M 46.4K 52
I sit down on my bike looking around the school parking lot. Listening to music, I stand up begin to walk through the student-less parking lot. Hones...