The Gifted Hybrid

By gifted_nerd

BOOK 1 in The Hybrid Series After the tragic lost of her mom, 17 year-old Zoe Hyland has to deal with being a... More

Just A Hunch
A Long Bus Route
Camp Spirit
Protection
Powerless
I'm Sorry
First Gift
Your Special
Fast Learner
No Way In
First Attempt
Second Gift
Flashback
Full Moon
Just Try
Its You
Thank You
Book 66
A Sign
Darkness
Our Secret
The Dream
Believe Me
Bad Manners
Questions
See The Truth
You'll See
Relation
An Idea
Good Poison
Practice Makes Perfect
A Favor
Instinct vs Reflex
Triggered
Settled In
A Leader
Metal Eyes
Feelings
Visions Told Truth
Nervous Is Good
Powerful
Marked
Real Deal
A Choice
Author's Note
Next Book Reveal
ITS TIME!!!
Checking in...
THANK YOU!

Just Talk

1K 39 1
By gifted_nerd

Everyone headed into the building so we could eat. I didn't walk in with them, they all came in after me and hadn't said a word to me since what happened with Susan. I didn't blame them or anything and I didn't even blame Susan. I was just angry with myself, I let my greatest power get the best of me and I said I wasn't going to let that happen.

I was the first to get in line to grab something to eat. They had sandwiches for us so I grabbed one, some chips and an apple with a water. When I was finished, I began to head toward the table. The table where everyone sat, where everyone would talk amongst each other about anything. I couldn't do it, I don't know why I just couldn't so I held on tighter to my things in my hand and headed for the door.

Its weird, all the food I grabbed from the cafe and I wasn't even hungry even though I was pretty sure that my body was after using all the power. I just didn't want to eat right now.

I headed toward the same door we had came in, making my way outside to the backyard again to sit at a table by myself. I just felt like I need some time to think.

I lay down my things and began to pick at my sandwich. The soft bread complements the turkey, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes and it goes great together but I really don't have an appetite. I take a small bite and open my chips, taking some and stuffing them into my mouth. I open my water bottle and throw my head back, taking a big drink of the water. When my head falls, I can see someone make their way toward the table.

The sun shines threw the clouds and lands on them and as they make their way closer, I realize who it is and I wonder if she came out here to talk or yell at me for what I did.

"Hi" Stacey smiles, her arms folded

"Can I sit?" She asks. I nod at her and she unfolds her arms, this time making sure she's careful not to trip on anything under the table.

"You came out here to yell at me and it's okay, I totally understand" I finally talk.

"I didn't come out here to yell at you" she chuckles, "I just came to talk"

"Alright" I relax onto the table.

"Moms fine you know?"

"No! I shouldn't have done that, I am so sorry and I still feel bad I did it to her of all people. You guys are...family" I explain.

She smiles, "yes, we are Zoe. And I would never yell at you for a small mistake"

"Wasn't small" I cut in.

"You know? Your amazing Zo, and I don't really remember you just like you don't remember" she stops and looks at me.

I wait for her to finish," but if I could, I would want too and I'd do anything too. You were like a sister, well you are kinda still"

I smile, "thanks Stacey"

"I'm not finish" she rolls her eyes and smiles, "I saw you coming when we tapped into our future, me and Mom. It gets stronger when we work together to do it"

"Wait, you guys can both..." my voice trails off.

"Yup, we both share the same energy and it's not so hard on myself like it is when I just do it" she explains.

I nod my head, "anyway, I saw you but you weren't you. And it's weird because it was the only way I could see you. You were there sometimes and sometimes you weren't, you were dark and different. Kind of like you were when you grabbed Susan, it's just that in my vision it was more intense"

"Really?" I'm the one intrigued now. I finish my food, not even realizing I had finished it and put the trash to the side.

"Yeah, you know I can never read your thoughts which is weird. Even though I'm still learning, I could still read people just a bit but you" she points to me, "I can't"

I stare at her but her eyes seem to wonder. They wonder around my head and my body and all over me like she can see something else I can't. I raise an eyebrow.

"Can you see my aura?" I ask her.

"Yeah" she looks away

"And what does it look like?"

"Its just so dark, I don't know" she said it with emotion. Like it was something scary.

"Do you want to try now?" I say.

She looks around, "try what?"

"The future see, right now...on me"

She shrugs, "you think it'll work?"

"Only one way to find out"

I sit up straight and hold out my hands so she can grab them. I lay them open flat on the table and try to concentrate for myself, closing my eyes and breathing.

"You mind?" She asks and I open my eyes. She has her hands in the air and she waves them for me to bring my head closer. I do that and she slowly places her warm hands on my temples.

"Just breathe okay? Try not to kill me or anything" she tells me and I chuckle.

I close my eyes again, or they just automatically close when I feel her tap into my mind. It feels comfortable at first and all my recent memories fly past me as she tries to get to the future. I feel her fingers grow tense a little and I can feel my powers coming to me. They awaken to be awakened, I squeeze my hands together and think to myself how in control I am. And even though I can't feel it in my hands right now, I can feel it coursing through my blood. Turning every ounce black, dark like night.

"Zoe?" She calls and I open my eyes.

She gasps at the sight of my orbs and hers began to turn black.

"Stacey!" I almost yell and she pulls her hands away. I get up out of my seat so fast and stand back from the table. Stacey's eyes clear of darkness and so does mine. She looks up at me before she goes falling back toward the ground.

My heart races and my powers come to me again in full force and I race to her before she hits the ground. I catch her and she jumps up, opening her eyes and breathing hard.

"Stacey! I am so sorry, are you okay?" I ask her, "hold on let me-"

"Zoe, relax" she sits up straight and I help her stand. She looks at me now, like nothing was ever wrong in the first place.

"Zo, your eyes are-"

"I don't care about my eyes, are you okay? Did I hurt you? I'm really sorry"

"No you didn't, it was just that I was trying to hard. I still couldn't see anything and I felt your power come to me. Its so dark but so powerful, I think you have the strongest element Zo. I don't know what to say about that" she rushes her words out.

"Just tell me your okay" I let out a breath and run a hand through my hair.

"I'm fine" she fixes her clothes and smiles.

I take away my most powerful gift and step back from her.

"Have you tried finding some type of info on your gift?" She waves her hand so we can make our way back into the building.

"Yeah, all I know is what I know already if that makes sense" I tell her.

She nods, "I wish I could help you more Zo, but this seems like it doesn't want anyone's help you know? Like you were meant to find answers on you own"

And I know exactly what she means. I am meant to find these answers on my own. And my powers don't want anyone to help, they stop all physical contact and I enjoy it so maybe it's better this way. Its better I find my own answers.

"Your right, and I will find them on my own or at least try too"

Stacey gives me a hug and tells me she's staying in the same room as her Mom so she will probably see me later on.

"Hold on" I call to her and she stops to turn back toward me.

"Do you um, have a crush on a certain werewolf?" I ask her and a smile forms on my lips.

I can see her face turn red before she looks around for a minute. She shakes her head and smiles, turning back toward me to answer.

"See you around Zo" she answers.

For the rest of the day, everyone had occupied themselves until it grew later and was almost time to call it a night.

Mia and I had talked about Margaret's idea on going out and to my surprise she thought it was a great idea but I still didn't agree with it. Even if I was to protect everyone from whatever trick the high Rollers decided to pull out in public, there was still a high chance of being caught by the regular humans. Those who have no idea about us.

"You know it's a good idea Zoe, just admit it. We could go shopping and blend in for a change" she flashes a bright smile and starts jumping up and down as we headed up the steps. I laughed lightly and shook my head.

It still bothers me though, to think about what they could do at any advantage they'd have. They could have me and my friends could fight them but what if someone gets hurt or killed? I would never be able to deal with that in my future, no matter where it takes me.

We get settled in the room, as do everyone else in theres. We take our showers and climb in our beds though in a matter of time, Mia ends up sound asleep. Her snores reach my side of the room and echo off the wall but me, I can't even think about sleeping right now. It's not that my mind goes to Mom, Dad  or even my powers, it's just that I don't feel tired enough to sleep right now. Something is bothering me and I don't know what it is.

I lay on my left side until I turn to the right and look out the window. The moon a crescent and just in the view from my bed, the light isn't as bright as I wanted it to be tonight. Just as I thought about it, the light seem to have brightened just a little. I squinted my eyes and blinked before it went back to it's original lighting. I smiled as I thought about what Mom used to say.

Your still my moon child Zoe

I sat up on my elbows and looked around in the dark. There was something else Mom and Dad had always said to me when I was younger.

When you can't find something by the knowledge of others, you go and find it using your own knowledge

"You find it yourself" I finish the thought out loud.

I bite my lip with an idea and remove the covers from my body. I slip on some shoes with my long sleeves and pants and I head for the door. I make my way down the hall where everyone is asleep and I look over the balcony before I continue making sure there was no one still up. I hadn't checked the time before I left but I still wanted to head to the library to see what I'd find. As I made my way to the lobby and passed the door, I heard a noise. At that instant, I wished my entire body invisible and it worked so quick. I would've never thought it would happen so fast, or maybe I'd never thought I'd see who I'm seeing walk through the lobby right now. Chelsea and James made there way upstairs, careful not to make any sudden noise.

I shook my head and laughed a little before making a promise to my own heart that I'd never say anything to anyone about what I'm seeing right now.

I walk down the hall and waited till I was on the other side of the media room door before I turned myself visible again. There was no one here to see me of course, which I was happy for. But the room was so much colder than the last time I had been in here and I was glad to be wearing what I was wearing at the moment.

I looked around before I walked slowly over to the library section of the room. I curled my arms around my body and my eyes scanned the books until I saw what I was looking for. The same book that always seem to stand out to me was sticking out just a bit like someone had it already, but who could've? No one should or would know about what it does but me.

I grab the book with my fingers and hold it out in my hand. The lights flicker, the dim glow comes into view when I look up at the ceiling. I stare a minute too long before looking back down at the book in my hand. Its familiar touch I can feel and smell and see. The same print, the oldness of the brown cover a rust and the dusty smell of paper. I let out a breath and look to the door before I go to open the book, its pages so clean white and blank in my eyesight. I hold it open in my hands before I close my eyes, hoping and willing this book to show me something out of kindness. I wait a couple minutes, thinking hard if anything will happen, this would be the perfect time. But nothing, at least not yet anyway.

When you can't find something by the knowledge of others, you go and find it using your own knowledge. You find it yourself.

"And how exactly do I do this Mom?" I say to myself.

I open my eyes and look around the room. Nothing I can use that will help me figure out what this book wants to tell me, if it does want too. I close my eyes again, this time letting out a breath I felt like I was holding onto forever. That's it Zo, use your own knowledge.

Out of nowhere my palms began to heat. The hotness making them sweaty and causing the book to slip from my palm but I hold the grip.  I use one hand and examine the other. My palm blazing as the darkness begins to slowly come to surface. It doesn't burn, it feels like light mixed with dark, warm mixed in cold. It feels good like always. The veins began to change from red to midnight blood, dark and powerful as I let it. Up my arms and legs and through the rest of my body now, my heart beats darkness. I can feel it now, my brain is clear and my sight and hearing is heightened. I let my eyes go fully night from purple allowing my sight to be seen from all angles of my body now. I cherish the feeling I have right now. How my blood lives for the feeling of being this way, this certain way amongst any other person on the planet. I am the only one and I can't waste the opportunity of not allowing me to be this person.

This person who allows me to help and to heal.

I look down at the book in my hands again wondering if it'll be affected by the color that melts from my fingertips. And then I think, using the knowledge of my own. The knowledge I have that holds to the real key to survival for myself and others. It's this, this feeling this blood this power I've gained. This is the knowledge I am meant to use.

I concentrate on the book in hand, hoping to turn it and I do. The once brown and designed cover starts to turn all black causing the paper to fly off into the air around me now. This is what it felt like when I changed the dagger to my weapon, how I allowed it to be used and controlled by such a thing called Midnight Blood. The whole book is dark now as I open my palms, the cover flies open and the wind rips through the pages causing them to turn themselves without my help. It stops exactly in the middle as a word appears on the still white page in black.

Hades

I don't say the word, I just think it which leads to something else. The pages turn so fast and the once white sheets turn black like the cover and they began to break apart into pieces around me. They fly up like confetti and form into a small tornado of winds. It looks like crows mixed with dust and demons and anything that grows powerful in the name of darkness. It screams loud but I don't flinch or move, nothing can disturb this right now. I don't know if I've messed up the book forever but this feels right.

The tornado grows and grows into a really big cloud of winds and forms into a certain form, kind of like a body almost.

It starts from the head and whirls around the rest of the body creating life itself. My eyes travel down with it and it reaches the floor before it disappears with another scream. I look up at it and swallow. It's a body, but not just any body. No, I have no idea who this person is in front of me but I have a feeling I should be bowing at their feet. It stands about nine or ten feet tall and its whole body  is covered in a dark cloak, darker than anything I've ever witnessed with my own eyes. It just stares down at me. It doesn't say anything and I think I should be scared but I can't do anything, I can't cry or move or anything but stare up at it wondering what it is or where it came from. I've never seen anything like it before.

I blink, the darkness still at surface. Its eyes were just a faint glow in the dark color around its head, like metal. Silver metal eyes was the only thing I could see on its face. It began to move now, bending down to get a closer look at me but it was still about seven or eight feet in height. Its hand came out to me, I could see the point of its nails and how dark its hands were. Just like mines. It reached for my chest, closer and closer it got until it touched me.

"Zoe"

It called my name and it sounded so beautiful and so perfect. But I couldn't move or say anything. Its touch felt like a pull to my chest, my eyes closed themselves and my body felt like it was floating in the air. I let out a long breath and the wind began to whip around me so fast, I felt my hair fly with it. I squeezed my eyes shut until I felt everything go away. When I opened them, I was on the floor on my butt with my hands out at my sides. No powers, no wind, no person standing ten feet high in front of me. I looked around and it was just me. I began to stand and all the lights that were in the room began to go out one by one. They blew and next were the computers all turning off at the same time.

I walked toward the door and opened it hoping that what I just witnessed hadn't blown the whole building but I was wrong. It did and I rushed down the lobby and up the stairs to the room before anyone found out about what I did. Did I do this? And what was that thing that touched me?

A/N: I don't have much to say but that I'm sorry this took forever to write. Its 2am rn and I could be sleep but there was a spider in my room and now its gone which is driving me insane. Anyway, hope you enjoy this insane chapter. And please tell me how I'm doing, I really need to know.

<PLEASE VOTE> ☆

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 143 17
Zoe Sawyer lived her entire life in Mystic Falls well from what she remembers that is. Zoe was adopted out of New Orleans and didn't even know about...
4.1K 48 12
No one ever said life as a human/vampire hybrid would be easy. As Renesmee comes of age, there are many challenges she must face, and questions she n...
26.8K 864 41
Welcome to the universe of The Underworlds! Meet Amelia Ray, a troubled 16 year old trying to make it through life on her own. She has been bouncing...
716K 20.1K 63
Have you ever felt the love and protection of three vampires? Zoey hasn't, she didn't even think it could've been anything other than fiction. Nikola...