The Run ©2014 Sydney Wray

Por sydneywrayy

"Who the hell are you?" A boy demanded. He had tousled, chestnut hair. His green eyes were wide with confusio... Mais

The Run
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Saving Elliot
Revision
Sequel?
Cover Contest!
Exciting Things!! READ!!
Huge News!!

Chapter 24

56.7K 2K 151
Por sydneywrayy

I squinted my eyes, scribbling down my best guess for problem twenty nine.

"Lindsey! Can you come down here please?" Hellen yelled from the kitchen.

I sighed, putting down my mechanical pencil and climbing out of bed. Making my way downstairs, I stopped at the kitchen doorway. "Yes?"

Hellen seemed to struggle with a plastic shopping bag as she hoisted it onto the counter. "Where have you been lately?"

I shrugged. "Out."

She nodded, turning toward me. "Well, I just wanted to remind you of the annual adoption day coming up this weekend."

Adoption day is an event every three months, where possible adoptive parents who come to the foster house to "pick," out their adorable child. I was never chosen when I was younger. I had missed the last one, because I wasn't exactly living at the house. Now, hence my age, Hellen finds it sufficient that I just help set up; and direct happy adults to the designated room.

"That's this weekend?" I asked, bewildered.

Hellen looked at me. "Yes, and you promised you'd be there."

I sighed. There was no getting out of this one, but than; the most brilliant plan hit me.

~~~~~~~~

"No!" Nathaniel yelled, adding extra emphasis with his hands. "No, no and no. A thousand times no."

I stuck out my lower lip, and followed him into Lavenders living room. "Please? Hellen won't really let me be eligible for adopting-"

He reared around, a frown on his face. "What are you talking about?"

I parted my lips. Wasn't it obvious? "We'll, I am seventeen. A lot of parents don't want the struggle-"

"That's ridiculous." Nathaniel spit out, stepping closer to me. "You are going to be eligible to be adopted tomorrow."

I frowned. "Yeah, but I just lead the parents into the room and introduce them."

He waved a finger, dropping his bag of Doritos with more force intended. "Oh yeah? Well I'm gonna be there."

I grinned. "Really?"

He softly smiled. "If it means that you get the opportunity to become adopted, than of course."

I had the best boyfriend in the world.

~~~~~~~~

I adjusted my conservative white dress, and breathed in the small mirror. Running a hand through my hair, and half-smiled. I looked good.

Low knocking sounded against my door, and I looked up. "Lindsey, it's time. Parents are arriving."

Hellen.

I swallowed, and shook my hair out once more. "Okay, I'm ready." My stomach swirled as I stepped out into the hallway. I hadn't done this for two years.

Hellen smiled at my complection. "Wow. You look very pretty. The parents will love the enthusiasm from you when you introduce them to the kids."

I looked at her, expressionless. "I'm not introducing them. Today, I'm going to be in that room; so I can become adopted."

She seemed to take in my sudden change in word, and I stepped down the stairs.

Once I had reached the end, Mariella tugged at my dress. She smiled up at me, and motioned for me to pick her up. She was wearing a pink tutu. I did, and when she was sitting comfortably on my hip, she leaned into my ear and whispered, "Am I gonna get adopted today?"

I looked at her. "Of course you will." And frowned, suddenly realizing she had dressed herself. Hellen must've forgotten about the usual touch up.

I put her down, and held out a hand. "Come here."

She grabbed my hand, and I led to the bathroom in the hallway. "I'll be right back. Stay here."

She nodded, and I ran up stairs. Kneeling down under my bed, I grabbed a box. I quickly darted back down stairs, and met her exactly where I had left her. I guided her inside, and shut the door behind us. Grabbing a stool in the corner, I motioned for her to step up on it. She did, and I opened the box with trembling fingers. Inside, layed a mixture of bows, clips, and ribbons.

Mariella's eyes couldn't have been bigger, and I chuckled to myself. "Pick out a bow. Your favorite color."

She smiled widely, and reached into the box, grabbing a soft pink one. She handed it to me, and I also picked out a comb in the box. I brushed her hair, and after I was done; the once knotty hair was clean-swept, knot-free, and shiny. I took the bow from her, and I clipped it. Grabbing a piece of her hair from the front, I moved it back and made a slight bump. I than clipped in the bow.

She looked adorable.

Mariella giggled at her reflection in the mirror. "Thank you!"

I hugged her. "Your welcome, honey."

She hopped down from the stool, and ran out into the hallway. I picked up the box, and placed it under the sink. Noise was escalating in the house, and I smoothed out my dress.

I walked out of the bathroom, and into the crowded room. Parents laughed all around, smiling, playing with a child.

Where was Nathaniel? I eyed the door. He had promised me.

"Lindsey? Can you please get the cookies in the kitchen?" Hellen rushed past me, and gave me a hopeful look.

I half-nodded, and made my way into the kitchen, the noise level quieting a bit. I found the plate of cookies, and reached for them. Arms suddenly wrapped around my waist, and I jumped slightly.

Nathaniel placed his head into the crook of my neck, and mumbled, "Sorry I'm late. I couldn't find Nindsey."

I laughed, and spun around, planting a quick kiss on his lips. "It's fine."

He stepped back, but his arms remained in the same position. "Shouldn't you be in there..?" He trailed off. "I mean, I'm not an expert. But seeing that everyone is in the living room, you should be too."

"Hellen asked me to get these." I explained.

He rolled his eyes. "I'll get 'em. Just, go."

I nodded, and started toward the living room.

"You look amazing, by the way." He added.

~~~~~~~~

I'm starting to realize why I had stopped these things. Here I was, sitting by myself. No one had talked to me the whole time, and it was starting to get embarrassing. Especially in front of Nathaniel.

"Hello." A pretty woman stood in front of me.

I looked up, startled. "Hi."

She smiled. "Do you live here too?"

I grinned. "Yes, I've been here since I was five."

She nodded, her mouth set in a straight line. "I understand. I was in a foster home myself." The woman sat down, and I couldn't have become more excited that she still remained. "It's hard."

I nodded.

"And I don't understand why a pretty, young lady like yourself is still here." She added.

I smiled. "Thank you."

"Polite too." She laughed. "What's your name?"

"Lindsey Garland-"

"Oh, Lindsey. There you are." Hellen suddenly came over. She looked at the nameless woman. "Excuse me."

The woman nodded.

Hellen looked at her again, as if remembering something. "Mariella is almost ready to go."

So Mariella was finally getting adopted! I couldn't have been more excited for her. She deserved a home.

As if on cue, Mariella bounded down the steps; a suitcase coming with her. Many adults cooed at her as she passed them, but she didn't seem to notice.

She reached the woman, and shyly smiled. "I'm ready."

The woman smiled, and stood up. "Alright, honey."

Mariella saw me, and ran to my side. She cupped her hands, and leaned into my ear. "Thanks for not giving up on me. You're my most favorite, person in the world."

I grinned at her childish words, and hugged her. A tear stung my eye. I was going to miss her.

The woman looked at me, and apologetically smiled. "It was nice meeting you, Lindsey."

I grimly nodded back. "You too." And I glanced at Mariella's gleeful face, "She's a great kid."

~~~~~~~~~~

The adoption day was over, and I was mad. I stomped over to Hellen, "Why would you do that?"

She looked startled. "Sorry, honey?"

I glared. "Why would you interrupt our conversation? It was going great, and she could've adopted me!"

Hellen parted her lips. "I'm sorry. Really, I am."

I scoffed as she left me alone in the room. Someone touched my shoulder, and I turned around to find him.

"Are you okay?" Nathaniel asked, his eyes searching my face.

I plopped down on the couch, and covered my face in my hands. "My life is so complicated."

He rubbed my back, as I felt him sit down aswell. "It's going to fine, Linds. You will be adopted, I promise you."

I removed my hands, and whispered, "You can't promise that."

He seemed to understand my reply. "I know. But I am anyway."

I nodded, as Nathaniel placed his index finger and thumb over my chin; gently moving it towards him. He leaned in, and placed a kiss on my lips.

Giggling came from the corner, and I pulled back. Many of the foster kids stood behind the door, their head poking out.

I couldn't help but laugh.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

92.8K 1.8K 20
Josh and Katie have been best friends since he first moved nextdoor midway through freshman year. They were attached to the hip and acted like they'v...
340K 9.4K 83
"How many romance books do you read?" Devin asks me. I shrug. "I like them," I say. I keep browsing, running my fingers along the spines. "...
1.4K 213 28
"More" he demanded. "What's with the sudden interest?" Before he reacts I hastily added some joke to lighten the mood. "Knock, knock." He op...
2.1M 56.3K 54
[COMPLETE] Soz this may be cringe, it was written very long ago A seemingly ordinary, working college girl meets a cool, undeniably sexy boy with m...