Being Lucky Can Be A Curse (J...

By KitMiki

When humans were on the verge of extinction because of the zombie apocalypse that they created years ago, God... More

Chapter 1 - I Fell Asleep
Chapter 2 - Supernatural Investigation Department
Chapter 3 - Survey
Chapter 4 - First Case : Phantom Thief
Chapter 5 - First Case : Phantom Thief Pt. 2
Chapter 7 - First Case : Phantom Thief Pt. 4
Chapter 8 - First Case : Phantom Thief Pt. 5
Chapter 9 - Your Name is Cabbage
Chapter 10 - Payback
Chapter 11 - New Rivalry?
Chapter 12 - You're Amusing, Zhao Zi
Chapter 13 - Missing Grandson
Chapter 14 - Black Blood
Chapter 15 - The Curious Case of Axel Auriant
Chapter 16 - Jack's Identity

Chapter 6 - First Case : Phantom Thief Pt. 3

595 28 4
By KitMiki

[Day 4 After the Rain of Miracle]

[Location: H City at Taiwan, Taipei]

[Population: 24, 997]

It was 9:00 A.M. and the members of the Supernatural Investigation Department were gathered in their exclusive meeting room. There was dead silence as everyone looked at each report that they just received from the police department earlier this morning.

According to the new report, the still unknown phantom thief or syndicate managed to rob numerous people's homes once again last night.

The details according to the victims remained the same. Only one item was stolen per each victim. Some items that were reported missing were not necessarily expensive or uncommon. In addition, the missing items were once placed in the lower level of shelves and cabinets in their houses. No weird noises were heard during the night and there were no signs of forced entry into the household.

"By the looks of it, we're dealing with one person after all," Shao Fei said.

"Shao Fei, how do you know we're just dealing with one person?" Huang Yi Qi asked as she faced him.

"The pattern remained similar," Shao Fei replied.

"Similar pattern?" Zhao Li An asked as he faced Shao Fei.

Shao Fei nodded.

"Yesterday, when we went to the victims' houses, do you remember where all the stolen items were placed at before?" Shao Fei asked as he faced Zhao Li An.

His partner looked up a bit as he tried to remember, "Hmm, each victim mentioned that the stolen items were placed in the lower level of their shelves and cabinets."

"Correct. I thought that this was a way for the 'syndicate' to test whether such a method would cause a huge commotion or not. By stealing one item in a place where people would not usually pay attention such as the lower level of a shelf or cabinet, they thought that people would not notice. They thought that they could get away from getting attention from the police. But it seemed that it was not the case after all," Shao Fei looked on the report on the table.

"Why do you think so?" Zhao Li An asked.

"If a 'syndicate' does exist, the members should have been aware of the increased security around the city," Shao Fei said.

As he tapped his fingers on the table, he continued, "If this was the case, shouldn't there be lesser robberies from last night?"

Looking at the reports that they have received, there were more than 50 cases of robbery incidents last night.

"That's true. Aside from the increased police force patrolling the area, the chief even set up different checkpoints at different parts of the city. The media even warned the people about the robbery incidents," Huang Yi Qi answered.

"Yet, this 'syndicate' decided to continue robbing people the same way. They should've known that this method of stealing one item per victim doesn't work anymore, but they still did it anyways. Also, If they have no fear of being caught, then why stick with only one item per victim? Why not steal more items from each victim?" Shao Fei continued his explanation.

The members of the S.I.D nodded and understood Shao Fei's point.

"One more point to add," Shao Fei raised his index finger, "Based on the surveys we conducted on people with powers, we know that there were no people who have similar abilities. Now, knowing that all of the robbery cases that we have received these past two days had similar patterns or methods of stealing, it just meant that there should be really just one culprit since there's no way two or more people with different abilities could duplicate such flawless robberies."

Everyone in the meeting room once again nodded and were amazed at Shao Fei's thinking. Everything he said made sense.

"Still, we don't know why this particular thief steal this way at all," Zhao Li An said with a puzzled look on his face.

"That's true," Huang Yi Qi said as she sighed.

"Wait, then it means that Edison Song is not our phantom thief after all," Jun Wei said as he scratched his head.

"Phantom thief?" A Zhi looked at Jun Wei with confusion plastered on his face.

Jun Wei looked at him with a startled look and pointed at Zhao Li An, "That's what Zhao Li An calls the culprit."

A Zhi looked at Zhao Li An, who was slightly embarrassed. Shaking his head as he chuckled, he faced Huang Yi Qi who was explaining about Edison Song's status.

"Regarding Edison Song, he was under tight surveillance the entire time in the hospital. He also spent the entire night in the hospital bed in a handcuff. There was no way he could've escaped," Huang Yi Qi reported.

Shao Fei nodded.

"Should we still investigate Edison Song?" Zhao Li An asked.

"Since he's not part of this phantom thief case anymore, we're handing him over to the normal investigators of our police department," Shao Fei answered as he flipped the pages of the report on his hand.

"So what's the plan, Shao Fei?" Zhao Li An asked with some enthusiasm.

Closing the folder on his hand, Shao Fei said unhurriedly but with a serious tone, "Zhao Li An and I will continue interviewing the victims and see if there are any clues that the phantom thief have left behind. Jun Wei would go to different stores and investigate if there's a new supplier who tried to sell the store owners new or used items. A Zhi, I want you to look at the files of the people with abilities who seemed to be capable of being undetected. Lastly, Huang Yi Qi, I want you to take care of handing Edison Song's case to the normal investigators."

With the orders given by their team leader and head of the Supernatural Investigation Department, everyone stood up and proceeded to work.

Outside the police department, Zhao Li An and Shao Fei were discussing the phantom thief case when suddenly Zhao Li An realized that he forgot his cellphone inside the building. Shao Fei only shook his head and told him to meet him in his old black car as he walked away. Zhao Li An quickly nodded to his superior.

Before he went inside, Zhao Li An quickly checked his pockets once again. To his surprise, when he pulled out his wallet from one of his pockets, a familiar item fell on the ground. It was the mixed black and gold colored metal lighter from yesterday. He forgot that he put the lighter in his pocket last night.

Shrugging, he put the lighter back inside the pocket and went inside the police station to get his phone. Little did he know that someone started to observe him not too far away from the police station.

When Zhao Li An got his phone back, he immediately went out to meet Shao Fei in his old black car in the parking lot. The two then went straight to one of the victims' houses that was not too far away from 8th street and a small pig farm. Not too long after they left, they were followed by the same man earlier who was riding a standard yet polished black motorcycle and wearing a protective red helmet.

As they arrived at their destination, Zhao Li An started asking questions to the small old lady in her 60's while Shao Fei was checking her house for clues.

"At first, I didn't really notice that something went missing, but then I remembered the news report about mass robbery yesterday, so I checked. I found out that the small green box where I usually put my coins was gone," she sighed, "I mean I live alone in this house.... and also my memory is still sharp, so there was no way I misplaced it. I'm sure that it was that thief that did it!"

Zhao Li An took notes as he continued to ask her questions, "Did you not hear any weird noises at all last night?"

The old lady shook her head, "No. I mean, all I could hear last night are those noises of the pigs in that small pig farm over there, but I mean those noises are quite normal here. Anyways, I've never really heard any noises at all. That thief must be some kind of ghost, I tell you."

Zhao Li An continued his interrogation, but there was no new information or clue that could help them find the phantom thief.

When Shao Fei came out of the room, Zhao Li An asked, "Did you find anything?"

Shao Fei shook his head as he came out of the house.

Before Zhao Li An followed him, he said goodbye to the old lady and left.

When he came out of the house, he saw that Shao Fei was on the phone.

"What is it, Huang Yi Qi?" Shao Fei asked.

"Edison Song escaped the hospital! The two police who were guarding him were all unconscious, but thankfully unharmed. The chief is handing this case to us again. Right now, I'm checking the security camera footage," Huang Yi Qi answered.

"Alright, I'm heading there right now," Shao Fei replied as he lightly pinched the bridge of his nose due to slight frustration. They had not made much progress with the phantom thief case when another case decided to show up. Another problem to be solved.

"What happened Shao Fei?" Zhao Li An asked as he approached his partner.

Shao Fei quickly explained what happened. He then ordered Zhao Li An to continue interviewing the victims. Even though every victim that the two of them had interviewed had similar statements, he thought that they might still find a clue that would help them solve this case of the phantom thief.

"Leave this matter to me, Shao Fei!" Zhao Li An saluted with a smile.

Seeing the bright expression of his partner, Shao Fei nodded as his frustration lessened. He smiled afterward as he patted the shorter policeman's head. He realized that it was too early for him to feel defeated and frustrated.

"I'll be back as soon as I can," Shao Fei replied.

"Ok!" Zhao Li An continued.

Shao Fei quickly ran to his car and left to go to the hospital.

Zhao Li An was about to go to the house next to the old lady's house when he saw a familiar figure that was walking leisurely towards the entrance of a small pig farm not too far away from him. It was the teleporting black pig!

"So, that's where you live," Zhao Li An slyly smiled.

Yet before he ran towards the black pig, his left arm was pulled by a mysterious person.

As soon as Zhao Li An looked back, he was shocked.

"You? What are you doing here?"

=======

Hello everyone, I'm sorry for the long update. I've been really busy, but here ya go! If you see mistakes, just let me know.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

125K 5.8K 19
IT'S BEEN 5 YEARS NOW.... 'I was a simple guy who was loved by everyone. I was an easy going and cheerful person. I never let anyone control me. I d...
237 6 1
末世重生之心悅君兮 Liu Yuexi lived an ordinary life with her little Baozi Xinxin.   One day, my cousin Liu Zixi came to my door...   What? My cousin is a magi...
149K 11.2K 24
[ YiZhan FanFiction ¦ COMPLETED ] Blue Light motorcycle racing team has its star racer namely Wang Yibo. Yes, Yibo is no doubt one of the best racers...
589K 30.3K 83
[ AN ORIGINAL BL NOVEL FROM RUNNOX ] Feng Xi, who was just an ordinary guy, loves to read cultivation novels, and there was his recent favorite novel...