𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄─𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐚𝐦...

By paradiseearth

[BOOK ONE IN THE LIFELINE SERIES] life·line ˈlīfˌlīn/ noun "A person you can always depend on to help you in... More

cast. + graphics
note from author.
00. prologue
01. earth bound
02. reunited
03. mount weather
04. river monster
05. surprise
06. finding jasper
07. dinner
08. let's take a hunting trip
09. fog
10. oh, hello
11. killer within
12. time limit
13. healing
14. raven
15. the search begins
16. flares
16. the chase
17. best friend
18. hold on
19. oh brother
20. antidotes
21. relief
22. the beyond
23. captive
24. the lucky one
25. faulty
26. the return
27. disease
28. quarantine
29. survival of the fittest
30. observer
31. target practice
32. burn baby burn
33. shortage
34. come home
35. try me
36. revenge
37. pleading
37. revelations
38. ka-boom
39. our home
40. choices
41. war
42. warriors
43. mountain men
44. new beginning
45. serendipity
46. suspicions
47. pretending
48. worries
49. secrets
50. escape plan
51. horror
52. freedom
53. the escape
54. alone
55. alive
56. denial
57. different
58. pain
59. the truth
60. reality
61. (don't) fear the reaper
62. healer
63. no apologies needed
64. revitalization
65. hold on
66. the beginning of the end
67. my brother's keeper
68. empty
69. a memory
70. broken
72. now I lay me
73. final goodbye
74. innocence
75. surrender
76. another goodbye
77. changes
78. down
79. loud and clear
80. directions
81. breach
82. gameplan
83. now or never
84. safety
85. three simple words
86. coping
87. add it up
88. azgeda
89. fresh start
90. forgiven
91. back again
92. ka-boom (take two)
93. frenemies
94. a ghost
95. tensions
96. crumbling
97. doubts
98. truth
99. divided
100. betrayal
101. last hope
102. surveillance
103. chaos
104. death row
105. hidden
106. remorse
107. hostility
108. chipped
109. family ties
110. EMP
111. together
112. return to arkadia
113. ghost town
114. payback
115. more goodbyes
116. the map
117. signal fire
118. safe passage
119. infestation
120. back to the beach
121. ice nation king
122. to polis
123. up the tower
124. at war in peace
125. between life and death
SEQUEL

71. remembrance

19.7K 457 53
By paradiseearth

The next time my eyes opened it was in a panic. My eyes shot open as I struggled to breath. Warm tears fell down my cheeks, landing on the pillow beneath me.

I had had a dream-a nightmare- about my brother. One minute he was there and the next he was gone.

I laid still for a moment, trying to convince myself that all of this had been a nightmare, that the events of the past few hours had been conjured up by my imagination. However, as I looked over at a sleeping Bellamy beside me, I knew it had all been real.

A shaky breath escaped my lips as I slowly sat up, wiping the tears from my face as I reached for my boots. I silently slipped them on, standing from the bed and heading for the exit, being sure not to wake Bellamy.

As I stepped outside I was met with silence. It was the middle of the night, everyone was asleep save for a handful of guards that patrolled the perimeter, still on edge due to the Grounder camp that was still stationed outside our walls. My brother might be dead, but that didn't mean we were safe from war.

A shiver ran through my body as I walked through camp, heading towards the part of the gate Raven had rigged so we could get in and out.

I could feel my heart breaking all over again as I caught sight of the pole where Finn had died-where he had been killed.

I quickly averted my eyes back to the ground as I rounded the corner of the Ark, putting me out of sight from everything. Pushing my back up against the cool metal, a sob escaped my lips. I couldn't do this. I couldn't walk through this camp every day and see the place my brother died-I knew sooner or later it would truly break me.

---

By the time the sun began to rise, I had barely moved. I had stayed, seated on the ground on the far side of camp, staring into the forest. I had planned on leaving camp, walking as far as I could into the dense woods, maybe never coming back. But I couldn't force myself to move at all. I was so drained that I had just sat there for hours, by myself, alone.

Camp was already bustling with activity when I heard my name being frantically called. I knew I should have gotten up, walked into the middle of camp and stopped the search, but once again I couldn't.

I stayed seated against the Ark, my eyes locked on the forest as the calling of my name continued. I recognized one of the voices as Bellamy, the others and Octavia and Raven. I knew they must have been worried, but I could not convince myself to care.

Whether I cared or not, I could not stop myself from being found. It was Octavia who found me. She rounded the corner, her eyes that were ablaze with concern instantly morphed into sympathy at the sight of me.

"Aves." She whispered, her voice dripping with sadness as she slid down the outside of the Ark so that she was seated beside me. I reminded me of the day when Finn had been stabbed and the two of us had sat together in the drop ship. I had told her how I couldn't lose him, that I didn't know what I would do if I did.

Now, I had to face the reality that he was gone, had to figure out what I was going to do.

Bellamy and Raven were still calling my name, however Octavia didn't alert them to where I was. Instead, she took a hold of my hand. "We were worried about you." she whispered. When I didn't respond, she continued, "Bellamy said he woke up and you were gone- we didn't know where you went."

This time I answered. My voice was hoarse from too many hours of crying, and not enough hours of sleep, "I couldn't sleep."

My best friend nodded, "I get that."

I opened my mouth to say more, but tears started flowing instead of words. Tears pooled in Octavia's eyes as she pulled me towards her, wrapping me in a hug, "It's okay, Aves. You don't have to say anything" she soothed.

---

We stayed like that for what felt like hours, but was really only a matter of minutes. We were only interrupted when the sound of footsteps approached us. Without even looking up, I knew who it was.

He didn't say anything for a moment, just looked down at the two of us. I could feel Octavia mouth something to her brother, and I assumed he mouthed something back. But without saying any audible words, I could hear his footsteps moving away from us. Soon after, Raven's calling of my name stopped.

It was then that Octavia shifted slightly, causing me to lift my head and look at her. She gave me a sad smile, "They're leaving soon." she whispered.

I nodded, slowly pushing myself up to my feet. My muscles ached as my bones cracked, sore from sitting for so long.

Octavia scrambled up after me, eager to stop me before I went any further, "You don't have to go Avery. Everyone will understand."

I swallowed the lump in my throat as I faced my best friend, "I have to-for Finn." I answered, brushing off the dirt from the pants. Octavia watched me intently, not saying anything right away.

When she did speak, her voice was soft, "Okay." she conceded, wrapping her arm around me as we walked back through camp, "I'll be with you the entire way."

---

30 minutes later, a group of us, along with several Grounders were headed towards the place my brother would be put to rest. I knew this wasn't going to be how I wanted my brother to be put to peace, but this was the best I was going to get.

Grounders surrounded up from the front and the back. Some were on horses, others walking. My brother was being pulled on a trailer near the front. Raven sat on the trailer with his body, her face cast towards the ground.

Although I had sat with my brother's body for hours the previous evening, I could not bring myself to do so today. I stayed near the back, by Lincoln and Octavia, my eyes set forward as I tried to avoid the fact that the Commander's presence was looming behind me. She rode high on a horse, directly trailing me. As far as I was concerned, she was the root of all evil, the reason for my brother's death.

I watched with a set jaw as Clarke and Bellamy exchanged words. I know Clarke had her reasons, but it didn't make it any easier for me to see her after what she did.

Octavia noticed my stares as gave me a small smile, "You okay?' she asked, pulling my attention towards her instead. Lincoln looked over at me as well, his eyes cast with sympathy.

I nodded, kicking at a stone by my feet, "Yeah." I whispered, trying to avoid concerning my best friend, "I'm okay."

Abby and Kane who were walking ahead of us both turned slightly, giving me small smiles. I know that everyone was trying to show support, solidarity, but at the same time I remembered the fact that they had let my brother die. They hadn't fought for him. And now I had to live with that fact. I had to see them everyday and try to push aside the anger I felt. At the end of the day, they were still my people.

It wasn't going to be easy, accepting that these were the people I had to rely on, but it was something I knew I had to try and do.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Tugsten By Kate

Fanfiction

132K 3.3K 42
They have spent their entire lives living on the Arc, avoiding the radioactively soaked Earth for almost 100 years. As oxygen is running out the Chan...
209K 6.2K 72
"How you holding up?" "You know. Just stuck in here." "Just one more day and I won't have to worry about your damn sarcasm." "Be quiet, you love m...
216K 4.9K 25
What defines a family? After losing her parents at a young age, the ones closest to Jamie are her Aunt, her cousin Clarke, and her two best friends J...
128 0 15
Azara Collins, Finn Collins' little sister, is sent down to Earth with her brother and ninety-eight other delinquents. She's very stubborn and always...