in too deep | ✓

By njhpiper

Evelyn Reyes is the girl with chronic anxiety. Her stomach knots, insomnia, pounding headache, a second voice... More

01| E v e l y n
02| M a s o n
03| E v e l y n
04| M a s o n
05| E v e l y n
06| M a s o n
07| E v e l y n
08| M a s o n
09| E v e l y n
10| M a s o n
11| E v e l y n
12| M a s o n
13| E v e l y n
14| M a s o n
15| E v e l y n
16| M a s o n
17| E v e l y n
18| E v e l y n
19| M a s o n
20| E v e l y n
21| M a s o n
22| E v e l y n
23| M a s o n
24| E v e l y n
25| M a s o n
26| M a s o n
27| E v e l y n (Part 1)
27| E v e l y n (Part 2)
27| E v e l y n ( Part 3)
29| M a s o n
30| E v e l y n
31| E v e l y n
32| E v e l y n
33| E v e l y n
34| E v e l y n
35| E v e l y n
36| E v e l y n
37| M a s o n
38| E v e l y n
39| E v e l y n
40| E v e l y n
41| M a s o n
42| E v e l y n
43| E v e l y n
44| E v e l y n
45| M a s o n
46| M a s o n
47| An unsent email from Evelyn Reyes (100K special)
48| The Differences between Anxiety Attacks and Panic Attacks
49| The Way I Loved You (Publishing) + Floating [COMPLETED]

28| M a s o n

13.3K 577 545
By njhpiper

Hey, never thought, never thought
I'd be holding your hand
Picking up, picking up, picking up my confidence
When you're making those moves, eh (Those moves)
I don't know what to do, yeah (To do)

- Unbelievable, Why Don't We

28| Mason

Mason opened his eyes and closed them again as the abusive sunlight hit him on his face. He groaned loudly and sat up. It was quite a morning and he had school. He hated school, just like everybody else.

But that also meant he would see Evelyn.

Mason could feel that something had changed among them. He couldn't tell what it was. That day, Evelyn had asked about his relationship, she was curious to know if he liked anyone.

The answer he had in his mind was obvious. And he wanted to say it on her face.

"Yes, of course, there is. It's you." Mason could have said. But he didn't. He knew better.

Or he could have said, "There is a girl." Just to see the expression on her face, to see how she reacted. But he knew better.

Then everything around them changed. She didn't roll her eyes at him anymore. She didn't punch him when he blurted out a thing or two. She became quite and stressed and they couldn't talk. The air turned awkward. Mason hated it.

They would start again. Today. And Mason would make sure everything was back like it was again.

But it was hard considering the fact that he had already surrendered to himself, surrendered to his feelings, that he liked her. And he knew he didn't only like her. It was more than just like. He wanted Evelyn to feel the same way as he felt towards her. He wanted it very bad.

Mason showered and changed and got ready for school. He made to the building where they had breakfast with his backpack slung on his back.

There was a guest in the house. He could tell as he entered the living room. Carolina was sitting on the sofa, laughing at something the other person had said. When she saw him, she stopped. the guest looked his way.

He hated the guest.

Landon Stewart looked as he always did. He had the same brown hair as Mason, the same blue eyes like him. He was as tall as Mason. Mason's dad, Louis and Landon shared the same gene. Mason had inherited the same genes from his father. He liked how he looked like his dad. He hated how he looked like his uncle.

"Why is he here?" Mason said making his face hard, his expression showing pure annoyance.

Mason never liked his uncle. For him, money is the most precious thing in the world. Mason's dad and him, they had a rough childhood. They had to work hard to be here today. But Landon never grew out generous. His only goal in life was to earn money.

After Sarah and Louis Stewart died, Landon became the CEO of Stewart Enterprise, a post he always wanted. He was the CEO of a part of it but now he owns it all. Legally, Mason and Mallory was the owner. Landon said he was only keeping watch for them till they grow up. Mason doubted that.

After they died, for some days, Mason even registered the idea that it was Landon who killed them. The Police investigation said otherwise. They said it was a rather unfortunate event that their engine failed and their car crashed. Nobody was to blame for it. It was just fate. Mason had a hard time believing it.

He had never liked Landon after that. But Mallory did. Mallory liked everything Mason hated.

And Landon had tried to make him happy his way. He had gifted Mason expensive cars, he had bought Mason bungalow houses, he had tried, not the way Mason wanted. He didn't know what Mason wanted. He would never understand. He wasn't Mason's dad. Nobody could become Mason's dad.

"Mason, my son," He said as he stood up. He was in his business suit with an expensive watch in his hand. Mason had seen his dad. His dad always valued simplicity.

Mason didn't acknowledge him and entered the kitchen. He took an apple from the fruit basket. He was leaving the living room when Landon spoke.

"I have a few important things to talk to you about."

"I don't have any time." Mason said opening the door.

"I know you are busy with school but it is time you start coming to the office. It's your office after all. You own it, Mason." Landon made it sound like an insult.

He didn't own anything. It was Landon who owned it and he wanted to show Mason how much he owned.

"It's not my office." Mason replied with a curt voice.

Carolina gave him a look.

"I don't like your job and I don't have any will to take it up after you." Mason said clearly.

"But It's our family business, you have to take it up one day eventually. You can go so long as to ignore it."

"I said, I don't like your job and I won't take it up. " Mason said again.

"Your dad would be disappointed to hear that " Landon said proudly thinking he had hit Mason's soft spot. But he knew nothing.

"Oh no. You have no idea, Landon. You don't even know my dad." Mason said challenging him to say something.

"Of course, I do. Don't forget he was my brother," Landon replied.

"I think I do sometimes. I know what my dad would have said. But I won't bother to tell you. It won't fit in that small brain of yours." Mason replied. Landon went red with anger. He didn't say anything.

"Mason!" Carolina warned him.

"He started it." Mason put his hand up in surrender.

"Anyways," Carolina cleared her throat, "We also have something to ask you."

"Let it go, Carolina." Landon said with an angry voice, "Nobody needs his opinion." Landon said.

"Sure as hell, I don't have any interest to give you any opinion. They are way too valuable." Mason said before opening the door.

Landon laughed behind him. "You wish."

• • •

Mason's mood had turned very bad after the encounter with Landon. He reminded of a lot of things. He reminded him of his childhood. He reminded him of the fights Landon and dad had. He reminded him how less affected he was after they died. Now he owned everything Mason's dad had worked really hard for. Sometimes Mason wanted to take up the job after him and threw him out of their office, claiming it all.

But Mason can't live by working just for revenge. He would like to do something he liked. He had his own dreams. He wanted his own company and someday maybe he would have it. He didn't want the family business.

Dad would have agreed with Mason. His dad would have told him to follow his heart. He would have told Mason to find what he wanted to become and then work hard to get it. Louis had always said those words. "Ask yourself who want to be. And try your heart and soul for it. And someday you will be there. Look at me, I am the living example." Then he would laugh out loud and wink.

Mason missed his dad. Mason missed his mom. Mason missed his sister. Mason missed having a family. Mason missed having a home.

Mason felt hurt, sad, angry, everything at once.

Mason entered the school hallway anyway. He nodded as Jack and Noah passed by. He made his way to locker and he noticed her.

Thank god, Mason's jaw was attached to his face or it might be on the floor now.

Evelyn looked like a goddess. Her hair was down by her shoulder. She was wearing a deep blue dress, the same color as Mason's eyes. She was glowing. As Mason walked closer, he could smell her. She smelled like home. He wished he could bury his face in her shoulder and forget the rest of the world existed. He couldn't.

Mason had to act like a friend, a very good friend. Evelyn was making it hard.

Evelyn was in a very good mood. Maybe the fact that, she had finally turned things with her dad, was the reason.

Whatever it was, Mason was having a hard time looking away. His head wanted to be at her side, his eyes wanted to stare at her face, his hands wanted to touch her hands. Mason would go crazy.

"Hey," Mason said with a hoarse voice.

"Hey," Evelyn said and smiled. She had never smiled so bright. It was brighter than a sun. Mason didn't need a sun anymore. Evelyn could light up his whole world. She was enough.

"How long would it take you to get your books?" Evelyn asked almost annoyed as Mason had slowed down. Everything had slowed down. Evelyn had made him stop.

"I am done." Mason said, slinging his backpack over. Evelyn shook her head giving him a look. She entwined their hands and dragged him with hers.

Lead me. I don't think I can think straight anymore. I am lost.

Mason had liked their arrangements in the class. How he sat behind Evelyn, so when he leaned forward, he could smell her. He had never confessed that to himself because that would make him feel creepy. But he was creepy and he would lean forward the whole class now even if he had no reasons to. Or maybe he would just make them up. Who cares?

"I think that math is wrong," Mason said leaning forward whispering right into her ear. It turned red.

"Which one?" Evelyn asked.

Mason didn't know how many problems were in the board. He didn't know what he was talking about. He was having a hard time focusing.

"The one on the right," He said sitting in the same position.

"No, it's okay. I did it. Maybe you got it wrong." Evelyn replied.

"Did you double check?" Mason asked.

"Yes. I am positive it's fine." Evelyn replied.

"Oh. Good then."

Then Evelyn did something he wasn't expecting her to. She turned around and they were face to face so he could even count her eyelashes. He leaned back hurriedly. Evelyn was looking down at his copy.

It was empty. Not empty exactly, it had doodles.

"I see," Evelyn gave him a look. He could try to hide it. But it was off no use. So he didn't even try.

"You are distracting me." Mason said.

Evelyn blushed like always. Her blood rose from her neck and spread all through her cheeks making them pink.

"Reyes! Stewart!" A crow like voice yelled.

Ugh.

"I assume, you already had detentions," Mr. Pete aka Scarecrow said looking at Mason.

"Yes, sir. I do."

"What about you,Reyes? You want a detention like your friend?"

Friend. He didn't like the word anymore. He wanted to add something before it. Maybe something that spells like B-O-Y.

Get a grip, Stewart. Whatcha doing?

Mason shook his head to get this stupid thought off his head and concentrated. He had to fight this battle. It was better to have Evelyn than have not having her at all. At this point, Mason doesn't think he can afford losing anyone else. He had filled his quota of losing the loved ones, none anymore.

They didn't even go to the library that day. Mason decided to be in the cafeteria until he had a better grip on himself. Evelyn didn't mind. She was laughing along with Jack's bad jokes and getting him back. She really was in a good mood.

She looked more beautiful when she laughed her heart out, when she smiled as she was genuinely happy.

No. This needs to stop.

Mason had bordered his feelings well till yesterday, even till the morning. Now it's going everywhere. Couldn't the cloud 9 be a little less generous?

After lunch, they didn't have any classes together. It was a relief. Mason was not also seeing her after school. He didn't think he could handle himself much. 

Mason was busy wiping the benches as Evelyn entered. The school was over. Mason was here carrying out his punishment. He still got this week of detention left.

Evelyn smiled. She looked gorgeous.

I need to stop.

"You sure, you don't need help?" Evelyn sad propping down to one of the benches, pulling her legs up. She would be here until he finished. He knew.

"No, I am fine." Mason said, trying not give out any emotion away with it, trying to hide how gooey he was just in the sight of her.

"Hmm, where are we going today?" Evelyn asked, leaning her head on one of her hands that rested on the bench.

"I have some errands." Mason replied

"What errands?" She asked sitting straight, as if she was genuinely curious.

Mason was blank. He had nothing in his mind.

"Garage!" Mason said suddenly. "I have works in garage."

Mason nodded at himself.

"You are lying." Evelyn stated.

"Why would I? If I could, I would spend all my days and nights with you. Why would I lie about some errands?"

So bad, buddy. So bad.

Evelyn blushed, the living breathing walking goddess.

My girl.

Nonononononooonoono.

Evelyn didn't glare at him or punched him or looked away. She smiled shyly like she was happy.

What the heck? I would have love you to hit me now to knock some sense into me. Where is that Evelyn?

Evelyn brushed a strand behind her ear and looked down.

"So what are you doing after garage?" Evelyn asked after a while.

"I am doing garage all night." Mason replied. She knew it was a lie. But she was playing along.

"Really? You don't go to the garage after Rosy was done." Evelyn said.

"There's a new car I need to check," Mason said looking down.

"Oh, so we won't meet until tomorrow?" Evelyn asked.

"Nah. I don't think so." Mason replied.

Evelyn looked disappointed. She frowned. "That's so bad."

She just said it. She wanted to be with me. She wanted to spend time with me. Imma do a tango dance.

Mason needed to stop.

"Why is that so bad?" Mason couldn't help asking.

"Because I am bored." Evelyn replied.

"We spend time together all the time. Go Evelyn, socialize, I am the only good friend you got." Mason said and propped down on a bench.

Evelyn was staring at him.

"Like right now, why are you here? Don't you have other places to be?" Mason asked.

Something flashed in Evelyn's eye. Her whole demeanor changed. She stood up quickly and took her bag. Reaching to the door. she opened it and slammed it shut.

Shit, it didn't sound right.

What have I done?

Mason had never moved so fast. He left the classroom in record timing and he was running in the hallways. It was empty. The whole school was empty.

Idiot, idiot, idiot.

Stupid. Stupid.

She was in a good mood and I ruined it.

She was almost at the front gate. Mason stopped by her and took in deep breathes. She stopped but didn't turn around.

"I didn't mean it that way. I-" Mason said.

"It's okay, Mason. I get that a lot. It's fine." She said with her back to him.

"Evelyn, please look at me." Mason said desperately. Evelyn won't look up. She was being stubborn.

"I didn't want you to be here with me right now because I have no self control anymore. My thoughts are running everywhere." Mason confessed.

Evelyn looked up, confused.

"You are making this so hard for me. If I stayed there one single second with you, I will have..." Mason trailed off.

Evelyn's eyes went big. She saw it. She got it. She knew it.

I lost her. End of the story.

Mason's heart beat louder in anticipation. He would have a heart attack.

Evelyn didn't have any expression on her face. There was something going on in her mind.

She stepped back from Mason.

I lost her.

"I don't think," She said with a hard face. Mason's heart broke right there. He sure heard a crack.

"I don't think, I don't think I would have mind." Evelyn said in a breathe.

Mason's heart stopped.

Evelyn's lips broke into a shy smile. The blush crept her from her neck to her cheek. She turned around quickly and almost ran away.

Did she just-

The school was empty. Nobody would knew.

Mason would do tango dance.

• • •

Author's note: Asdhfkfldosjwjwnsejdrk. Oh My God!!! I know right. Our jerk really couldn't keep it to himself, could he? And Evelyn's response! Imma do tango dance myself. Damn. What's next!! I wonder.

Until next chapter.

:)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.3K 1.3K 43
"𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝘂𝗰𝗸..." 𝗜 𝗵𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗱 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗺𝗲. 𝗜 𝘀𝗹𝗼𝘄𝗹𝘆 𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗮𝗽𝗸𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗼𝗻 𝗺𝘆 𝗳𝗮𝗰𝗲 �...
93.6K 1.8K 20
Josh and Katie have been best friends since he first moved nextdoor midway through freshman year. They were attached to the hip and acted like they'v...
22.8K 1.7K 110
And then he stopped. Shane leaned his forehead against mine, breathing heavily, our eyes still closed, and he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear...
222K 2.3K 15
|SAMPLE ONLY||THE FICTION AWARDS 2019 WINNER| EVIE CHASE has it all--fame, fortune, the career of her dreams--but things weren't always that way. Th...