Ditching the Demons

By chixon

Myra finds herself in the company of three men who call themselves demons. They say they need her help, so sh... More

Why Taking a Shortcut Through the Woods is a Bad Idea
Because Your Instincts are there to Protect You
Why Demon House Guests are Bad Company
Because 'Personal Space' is Just an Illusion
Why You Shouldn't Put Too Much Trust in Your Friends
Because They May Like You for All the Wrong Reasons
Why Rescues Are Not For Everyone
Because Berserkers are not Much Help
Why Good Deeds Should Be Carefully Dealt
Because not everyone has the same sense of humor
Why Witches' Homes Should Be Approached with Caution
Because Fan-Girls Come in All Shapes and Sizes
Why You Should Never Judge a Party by Its Flier
Because Mental Instability is not Limited to Humans
Why Demons Should Never Bring Things to Life
Because They're So Much Better at Mayhem
Why You Should Always Follow the Buddy System
Because Vampires Can Actually Be Good Conversationalists
Because Some People Just Attract Trouble
Why You Should Never Give Up Hope and Strip to Your Underwear
Because You Never Know Where You'll Find a Magic Portal
Why It is Important to Pay Attention
Because People Are Not Always Who You Think They Are
And Endings Can Be Surprising
Extra Bits

Why Most Elves Don't Like Tourists

312 21 0
By chixon

Why Most Elves Don't Like Tourists

“Myra…” Dru sounded a bit irritated. His stance—arms folded and one foot tapping—further revealed his current attitude. “Your story is a bit hard to believe.”

Myra had just gotten through recounting her and Meris’s adventures during the past twelve hours. “Well, it’s true!” she said indignantly. How dare he accuse me of lying? What ever happened to the Dru who would say something like: “I’m sure you could never do anything wrong, darling”? Wait! He didn’t even call me “darling” this time. Something is definitely wrong.

“Giant chickens and killer moss?” he asked disbelievingly. “Are you sure that’s all that happened?”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“His smell is all over you!” Dru’s hands formed fists which he now held straight-armed against his sides.

Ok, so she hadn't told him everything that had happened the night before. But that was because she knew he would probably end up over-reacting, like this. Unfortunately, she hadn't taken his hyper-animal-demon senses into account. “Nothing. Happened. Dru.”

“Ok, I’ll believe you,” he consented, “but only if you promise to spend the rest of the day with me.”

She gave him a sideways glance. Just what kind of person allows his trust to be based on post circumstantial favors? Obviously he’s disturbed mentally. But if that’s what it takes to get him to stop looking at me like I broke his favorite toy…

“Fine.”

“Woo hoo!” he shouted happily while picking her up and twirling a few times then setting her back down on her feet. “You and I are going to have the best day ever!” he said, lightly poking her nose on the last word.

Taking her hand, Dru started to drag her down the main street of the Elvin village. “I found this really great brochure earlier when we were waiting for you and Meris.” He showed her a glossy, folded paper that on the cover said: “Your ultimate guide to a perfect day in Elvin Village.” Whipping it open with his free hand and looking at the contents, he cleared his throat and announced, “First, I’m going to take you out to breakfast at the best place in town. Then, we’ll visit the petting zoo—you like animals, don’t you?—well, I’ll bet you’ve never pet a live Jackalope before.

“After that, we can go to the shopping district where they have a really big curiosity shop. And since we’d be in the area, we can get food for a picnic. Then go to the park, eat, play around, go swimming in the lake, maybe do some flirting, and that will hopefully lead to...”

“Dru.” Sam was suddenly in their path, blocking the way. Myra felt uncommonly relieved at his appearance. She didn’t really like the direction Dru’s rambling had just turned. “Dru,” Sam said again. “We have to leave now.”

Dru looked extremely crestfallen. “But-but, the town brochure,” he whimpered, holding up the colorful packet. “I made plans, with Myra.” His lower lip was quivering and his ears were flat against his head.

Sam put a hand on Dru’s shoulder. “I understand you are upset. But the elders of this town were quite insistent. We are to leave as soon as possible.”

“What about Meris?” Myra asked. She was kind of looking forward to doing some of the fun stuff Dru had planned for them (even thoug she wasn’t about to let either of the boys know that), so she blurted out the first excuse to stay she could think of, which just happened to be the poor vampire’s health. “He couldn’t possibly be better already.”

“We requested Silversin to give him another of those pills she was testing on him. And she will continue to give them to him regularly until we reach a more controlled environment,” he told her. “He should be ‘better’ by the time we have to leave.” Before Myra could ask her next question, he added, “I will pay particular attention to him during our journey, in case he has any problems.”

Reluctantly, Myra and Dru followed him to what a sign claimed to be the town hospital. The elves must not have gotten sick or injured very often, because it was nothing more than a large tent with the flaps rolled up.

They entered and found that Meris was sitting on a lone cot in the center of the structure. His back was rigidly straight and his eyes darted around nervously, focusing on anything and everything except the beautiful blonde she-elf in front of him, who currently had a stethoscope pressed against the bare chest of his open shirt. Lilla stood next to him. Per usual, a smile was plastered on her face, but her eyebrows furrowed slightly as she watched the other woman’s actions.

Whether the events of the next few moments were unconsciously planned by Lilla, or just a freak accident may never be determined. But the simple facts (as observed by the other tent occupants) were these: Lilla placed her hand on Meris’s shoulder. Meris, not expecting the physical contact, jumped away abruptly. The physician’s stethoscope got caught on one of the straps of Meris’s sleeve. It was torn from the woman’s hands and flung across the tent. The doctor apparently really liked her stethoscope because she dove after it—right past Meris. She would have hit him, but he was still so jumpy from what had just happened that he swiftly dodged her form. Unfortunately, Lilla had her head turned (watching the flying stethoscope) and did not notice when Meris baked into her. As a result, she stumbled into one of the supporting poles and caused the entire tent to collapse.

In the dark, canvassy confusion that followed, three conversations could be heard.

“I’m scared of the dark, Myra-darling. Hold me!”

“Sorry Lilla. Are you alright?”

“Oh, my precious Mr. Stethoscope, I nearly lost you!”

“It’s not dark, Dru. You freakin’ glow.”

“No, I’m fine—I mean, yes. I think I hit my head. Perhaps the two of us should travel together alone today.

“They tried to separate us, but I didn’t let them. I’ll never let them”

(FWOOSH)

The thick canvas was pulled away, and suddenly there was light. Several tall shadows loomed against the morning sun. It was some of the Elders, and they did not look happy. Sam (who had evidently escaped the tent colapsidation) stood next to them. His face looked equally upset but with more observation, Myra noticed that his eyes seemed to twinkle in merriment.

Ah ha! she thought. So he twinkles.

“Oh no,” Lilla whispered nervously, “It’s the Supreme Elders.”

The Supreme Elders all looked almost exactly the same. They were tall (easily a foot taller than the other elves); they all dressed simply, in long robes of diluted hues; they all had long white beards—some were braided in various styles but all were long enough to reach the ground; and their skin was extremely wrinkly.

“Leave,” said one of them in a rough and commanding tone. “Leave now, before you cause any more damage.”

Everyone was frozen with intimidation at the Elder’s statement. Even Sam seemed uneasy as he quickly handed the group their packs and attempted to usher them out of the town. But before they left the main gates another voice spoke from the group of Supreme Elders. “Lilla, you are one of our descendants and therefore have the birthright of our people to be able to return to this village whenever you wish (as you have done several times in your life already). But, as a token of respect to your kinfolk, we would prefer that you forego that privilege and never return again.”

With that said, they all turned around and walked away, leaving Lilla looking a bit lost. “Um, ok…” She mumbled. “I’ll see you around then, I guess…maybe.”

Silversin approached her and put a gentle arm around her shoulders. “Be of good cheer, sweet Lilla,” she consoled, “your strength shall surpass your sadness, in due time. Allow yourself to let go slowly, and healing will replace your loss.”

Immediately, Lilla’s smile was back. “You’re right. Thanks. I feel better already. And besides, now I don’t have to worry about Dr. Coldfingers trying to steal my Meris away anymore.”

Sam started to slowly walk down the trail labeled “Tadema Pass: 10 miles.” Lilla grabbed Meris’s hand and started to follow after. The black haired male sputtered, “H-hey, who ever said I was yours?”

Myra, who was still pretty tired from the walk to the elfin town that morning, allowed a very gleeful Dru to carry her on his back. And Silversin made her dowel into a walking stick which she leaned against as she brought up the rear of the troop.

“Me,” Lilla finally responded to Meris’s question while she brought his arm around to rest on her shoulders and allowed him to lean on her for support. “…and all of the other girls at Silversin’s party when I won you in a raffle. Of course, they all forgot once that rune of attraction got into your possession. But I still won.”

“Fairly?” he asked with an accusing eye in Silversin’s direction.

Lilla waved her hand dismissively. “Well, you know. ‘All’s fair in love’ yadda yadda.”

Meris sighed, “Well, at least I should be glad that you weren’t this clingy yesterday. By the way, how did I merit such special attention today anyway?

Her eyes narrowed, “I heard that you were found singing to Myra this morning.”

“And you’re…jealous because it wasn’t you?” he guessed.

“Well, that and the fact that you sang to her!” Meris obviously didn’t understand what she meant. “Oh Meris, how can I make this clear? Myra is a practical girl,” (a scoff was heard from Sam's direction) “…I mean, she doesn’t throw herself at you like other girls,” (another scoff) “…but apparently you don’t understand that if you sing to her with that perfectly gorgeous voice of yours, she might not be able to resist you.” Her eyes looked into his with genuine concern, but then they widened in sudden realization. “Or maybe you do?”

Forty-five minutes later the group was pretty much in the same scenario. Sam was still leading at a respectably slow pace. Dru still looked far too happy as he carried Myra on his back. Silversin was still struggling to keep up. And Meris was still attempting to convince Lilla that he did not try to seduce Myra by singing to her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8M 158K 69
Highest rank: #1 in Teen-Fiction and sci-fi romance, #1 mindreader, #2 humor Aaron's special power might just be the coolest- or scariest- thing ever...
161K 5.9K 61
An Indian brother-sister/family story. The Singhania family is the most prestigious family in the country. Together, they seemed to be invincible...
55.2K 2.4K 36
แด…ษชแด แด‡ส€ษขแด‡ษดแด›; แด›แด‡ษดแด…ษชษดษข แด›แด ส™แด‡ แด…ษช๊œฐ๊œฐแด‡ส€แด‡ษดแด› แดส€ แด…แด‡แด แด‡สŸแดแด˜ ษชษด แด…ษช๊œฐ๊œฐแด‡ส€แด‡ษดแด› แด…ษชส€แด‡แด„แด›ษชแดษด๊œฑ.
7.2M 302K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...