GAMES BY DIM LIGHT || Mature...

By MireyaZachani

Sixteen years ago, Melanie was supposed to be crashing a party on her birthday with her friend. It was a week... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24.
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
AUTHOR'S NOTE
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
Author's Note
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
Author's Note
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
Note Of Thanks

CHAPTER 42

246 48 4
By MireyaZachani

Melanie's POV

To say that I was shocked was an understatement. I couldn't describe what I felt at that point.

Derrick's lips moved above mine in ways he had never kissed me before. I've never felt his lips against mine when he's drunk and this is a first. And I found myself kissing him back. It was hard for me to stop.

I know I missed him. But how do I explain my need to stop and yet still want to kiss him?

I pushed away from him and stood up, making sure I had enough distance between us.

He looked at me like ye was just seeing me for the first time, trying to sit up and reach for me but I stepped backwards.
"Babe. . ."

"No, Derrick. Stop right there."

He chuckled. "Why? You are disgusted by me now?"

"No."
I said before I knew it. "Just. . .stop. I have to go. This was a bad idea in the first place."
I said, picking up my purse, but he held me back.

I don't know why but instead of a strong panic, knowing that ye raped me, I felt nothing.

He looked at me, holding out gaze. "Come on, babe. Please just give us another chance."

"Derrick, stop."

"Stop what? I'm not forcing myself on you now, am I? I miss you, babe. I miss us. Why are you doing this?"

"Do you think it is easy for me? You want me to forget about what happened like its a piece of cake!" I snatched my hand off his.

He lowered his gaze, looking down at his hands. "I'm not saying it is. You are just still upset and I understand but then, can't you just forgive me?"

"Forgive you? You think I don't?"

He looked up at me in shock. He stood up and closed the distance between us before I could do anything, his hands wrapping around my waist.

"Derrick, Stop. I'll scream."
I blabbed.

He chuckled because he knew I was blabbing. "You'll scream? Really? Am I that bad? You know you still want me, babe. Why don't you just. . .I want to explain what happened. You don't understand. . ."

"I don't want to hear it, Derrick. I don't want to hear anything from you."

He stepped back like I had said rubbish. "Why not? I believe that in Nigeria, everyone has a right, yeah? I know what I did and I have apologized to you several fucking times, Melanie! What else do you want?"

"I want you to stay away from me!"
I snapped at him. I didn't expect him to talk to me like that any way.

He nodded, slowly. "You want me to stay away from you, huh? What if I can't."

"Then, it is your loss. You don't know how much I wanted to send you to jail, Derrick. For what you did, I want to make you pay! But T.J . . .You know what? Forget it."
I turned around to leave again but he pulled me back, spun me around to face him, his breath fanning my face.

Part of me wanted to lean forward and kiss him.

"My loss, huh? Guess what? You can't get rid of me so easily. I'm there and I'll always be there. . ." He leaned forward, "under your skin."
He whispered.

I looked up at him.

"I love you, Melanie. And when I say that, it means I won't give up so easily. So, if you want to push me away, baby, I'm not going anywhere."
He turned around, his back facing me.

"Go, Melanie. You can't stand me, right?"

That was rude, but I still spun and fled the room, holding back my tears.

I can't forgive him. I can't forgive him. I can't be with him.

~•°•~

"How are you doing big guy?"
One of the doctors who operated on TJ said as he stepped into the ward.

I smiled up at him as he greeted me. I was still feeling a bit moody and confused. . .Yeah, confused is the word for what happened between Derrick and I the other night. It's been three days since that night and I still feel like it happened last night.

Why do I have to feel like this?

Derrick came to see TJ the next day after that night and didn't act like we had just argued. I didn't expect him to feel bad about anything but he seemed rather calm.

TJ smiled . "I want to go home already."
He said to the doctor whom had somehow developed a bond with TJ. Call my son the kind of kid who loves to make friends with people older than him. Yeah, that's him.

The doctor, who seemed to be in his late thirties laughed and shook his head. "A few more days, okay?"

"Days?!"
TJ said and groaned. "I'm tired!"

The doctor laughed again and turned to me.

"He has been making fusses about going home. I think you should do something about it before he tears this place down."
I said and laughed.

"He can do that?" The doctor said.

I laughed and shook my head. He seemed friendly. Actually the only reason I talk to him is because TJ felt okay around him.
"Figuratively."

"Okay, uh. . .We are  still checking okay? When the stitches are out, you will be gone from here like a speed of light. I'm sure you will love that."

TJ nodded and grinned.

"Okay. Now, let's see if there's any improvement that could hasten your discharge." He said and moved to stand in between I and TJ's bed, making me lose my balance and almost sliding to the floor.

Strong hands held me in place and thank God there was a chair behind me. The doctor steadied me and made me sit. I looked up at his facing mirroring his impressed expression at his heroic action and blushed in embarrassment.

"Thank you. I'm really sorry, I. . ."

"No, its fine. I'm the one who's sorry. It was my eagerness to send this dude back home. He has made enough fuss."
He joked.

I laughed and nodded. "I appreciate."

He nodded and turned back to TJ, opened his hospital uniform and looked for a while. "Do you have any complaints this morning?"

TJ shook his head.

The doctor nodded.

"Oh, yes. I had pain last night. I couldn't sleep well, the nurse gave me an injection and I was able to sleep. It was too much."

"What kind of pain? Where?"

"Around that area."
TJ pointed at his incision.

The doctor nodded. "Okay. The usual pain?"

My son nodded.

"Okay. It's normal. Um. . . has the nurse changed the dressing this morning?"

I shook my head because he glanced at me. He nodded. "Okay, I'll send a nurse to change it okay?"

"Okay."

He proceeded to check TJ's temperature and blood pressure. I watched him asked TJ other vital questions and smiled when he said something funny and laughed when TJ gave a funny reply.

I got a text from Derrick saying he won't make it to the hospital that morning because he had an important meeting to attend. He was sending Mayor over.
I sighed for a reason i didn't know.

I was on my way out to change my clothes when I met the doctor. He smiled and stopped, told the nurse to go on ahead and turned to me.
"How is he?"

I nodded. "He's good. He's still complaining."

"He wants to go home."
The doctor said and nodded.

I chuckled and nodded.

"Well, I talked to my chief and he said, TJ should be going home soon. As soon as we come back tomorrow and check the wound, we'll open it up - I mean the dressing - " he corrected when he saw the horrified stare I passed him. I nodded as he continued, "and see if he can he discharged and when."
He finished and I nodded, satisfied.

Finally.

"Thank you so much, doctor. I really appreciate your concern. It's very rare to find someone as dedicated to saving lives as you in this country."
I said.

He laughed. "No, no. Don't say that. We are all dedicated to saving lives."

"You're different."
I said and shrugged.

He chuckled. "Thank you. I hope it is the good different."

"Definitely."
I said and we both shared a laugh.

"My name is. . . Henry Duru."
He extended a hand.

"Melanie. Okoye."
I said.

"Nice to meet you, Mrs. Okoye. Again."

"Mrs? I'm not married."
I said to him, laughing at Hus shocked expression.

"Oh. Uh. . .I'm so sorry about that. I thought. . ."

"You thought wrong."
I cut in.

"I'm so sorry. Oh, God. I feel so. . ."

"No, no, its fine." I laughed sincerely. "It's not a problem. Derrick is just. . ."

"Did I hear my name? Or is it some other Derrick?"
I heard behind me and turned to find Derrick approaching. He smiled at the doctor but I knew that smile was just as fake as anything fake.

"Good morning, Mr. Jacob."
The doctor greeted cheerfully, giving Derrick a handshake.

"Good morning, Doctor. Is there a problem?"
He asked and looked down at me, reading my gaze.

"Nothing." I replied quickly. "I was just having a talk with the doctor here. We were talking about TJ's discharge."

"Oh, yeah. I was going to ask about that too. My son is eager to leave." He said and smiled.

"Oh, true. He told me that this morning. We will see what we can do."
Henry told Derrick.
"If you will excuse me, I have to go."
He said and left.

Derrick stared at the retreating figure of Henry as he got into a conversation with a female doctor, while taking the next turn.
He turned to me. "Hey. How are you?"

"I'm good."

"Did you spend the night here last night?"

"Yeah. I had to. TJ didn't want me to leave."

Derrick nodded. "You should go home and rest better. Mayor here yet?"

"Yeah. He's inside. I thought you had an early meeting?"

"Cancelled it."

"Why?"

He smirked. "Nothing in particular. Just cancelled. Where to?"

"I'm going home. I want to change these clothes."

"I hope you will take a long nap from there?"
He said and fell into paces with me on our way out. I looked up at him.

"I'm not stressed. I take enough rest. Besides, aunt Bertha comes too and your siblings help a lot. . ."

He pulled me to a stop and turned me to face him. "I'm just saying you need a long rest, Melanie. Your exams started last week and you're not going to break down because of this. That's why I keep making sure my siblings and I are here with TJ. So, you can have enough rest."
He was so close to me, I was sure that if I took a step forward, I would love lips with his. . . I cleared my throat.

"Thanks. I know." I said, not trusting my voice to say more.

He held my gaze for a brief second and nodded.
"Why are you following me?"

"I want to. . .Hey, could you take the key to the car? Wait there for me, I need to quickly say hello to TJ and join you shortly. Alright?"

I looked up at him. "Why?"

"I want to take you home. And make sure you take enough rest before stepping out again."

"Wha. . .I can go home myself, Derrick. It's not a big deal. Can you all stop acting like I'm the one who had an accident?"
I said, irritated.

He sighed. "Take the key, Melanie. That's not it. Come on, Babe."

I sighed and took the key from him and turned to leave but he stopped me, planted a kiss on my forehead and left to see TJ.

Please don't forget to vote and comment.
What do you think of Derrick?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21K 4.8K 41
{COMPLETED} "This is the sequel to The Wrong Crowd." "I have not broken your heart - you have broken it; and in breaking it, you have broken mine."...
36.8K 5.1K 26
Published on the 12th of November, 2018. What the fuck! Can't you watch where you're going?? You almost injured me!" I said dusting my skirt and tryi...
35.4K 827 41
My life was a whirlwind of privilege and innocence until everything changed. As the only child of wealthy parents, I'd always had everything I needed...
7.5K 552 68
A complete blackout had occurred to me while I lay down almost lifeless at the school's hallway. The smell of blood, the sight of blood made my cries...